ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Fickell Opens as Favorite to Become Next Husker HC

I'd put $5 on the dark horse, Whittingham. He's a great coach at a school who may be irrelevant soon with all the shake-up. He may want to end his career in the B1G and a big bag of $. Long shot, but worth a look.

pass on kleiman, too, in my opinion

both took big leaps and neither have really taken off
You can’t count his first year and or Covid year for Kleiman, right? This is basically his second year 😬, but I’m tired of having people from/played for Iowa coaching on our Football Team…🤮

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Imagine talking smack on a message board to a team that
-your record against is 17-86-2
-You lost the most recent game
-your longest winning streak is 3 games in the 1940s
-your longest losing streak is 15 games
-your stadium is half the size of
-your trophy case is 1/100th the size of (quite literally)

…and thinking the other fans are dumb.

Seriously cannot be any dumber than this iowa state fan.
@Clonewithasigh Why wont you respond to this message, pvssy?

@Clonewithasigh Why wont you respond to this message, pvssy?
Tampa Bay & New England were pretty bad NFL teams decades ago, but what have they done in the last 10 years? Cincinnati was a pretty bad team for 3 decades but low and behold they were in the SB last year. Things change and programs that think they are entitled, become irrelevant and live in the past bragging about success from generations ago. I guess time passes them by, so where does that leave Neb, sport?

Get the KSU guy. Mother fvcker was running student body left. Blocks looked good. Does it with worse rated recruiting than just about anyone in the B1G. Nebraska won’t win games playing finesse ball and won’t win those recruits until they’re on the stage again
I don’t have a clue who their coach is but couldn’t agree more. We will never win playing “finesse” ball. Urban would be a home run hire.

Reactions: bshirt73
Tampa Bay & New England were pretty bad NFL teams decades ago, but what have they done in the last 10 years? Cincinnati was a pretty bad team for 3 decades but low and behold they were in the SB last year. Things change and programs that think they are entitled, become irrelevant and live in the past bragging about success from generations ago. I guess time passes them by, so where does that leave Neb, sport?
Yep, when I think of dynasties, Iowa state is the first to come to mind. Clownshow

I'd put $5 on the dark horse, Whittingham. He's a great coach at a school who may be irrelevant soon with all the shake-up. He may want to end his career in the B1G and a big bag of $. Long shot, but worth a look.
He already make 5 million per season. Not happening.

Completely pass on Liepold, that would totally finish Nebraska becoming the Kansas of The BIG.
Go on to YouTube and watch Kansas highlights for their two games this year. You will see Nebraska football in Kansas uniforms. Better teams are going to be a little bit nervous about them, because they can score the ball. The defense still needs work though.

pass on kleiman, too, in my opinion

both took big leaps and neither have really takThis is a great time to hire a coach. Much better this year than last. There may be lesser schools that need coaches, but not many higher value schools. Most of those jobs got sucked up last year.
This is a great time to hire a coach. Much better this year than last. There may be lesser schools that need coaches, but not many higher value schools. Most of those jobs got sucked up last year.
It will be interesting to see if any of those higher value schools were or would have had any interest in our eventual hire

Reactions: headcard
He couldn’t win at USC with all their talent and resources. Georgia Southern is likely another UCF type situation.
He couldn’t win at USC with all their talent and resources. Georgia Southern is likely another UCF type situation.
I am not advocating Clay Helton get the job either, but he was 46-24 at USC. I dare say if SF had that same record he would still be the Husker coach. Clay was never appreciated at USC. There were always rumors of him getting fired. His teams did not win some key games and I think part of it was he wasn't cool enough for the Trojans. Maybe he was too Southern for them.

Reactions: Obadiah Plainman
I am not advocating for Helton to get the Husker job, but he
I am
If it ain’t Joseph with some defensive changes, I’d love Klieman with Bielema as a 2nd choice.
Never have been a fan of Bielema. I think we fans would hate him.

Are we talking about the nfl,, nope. Nebraska will always have a chance to return to glory. What have you won, nothing. Nothing, now go away. It's pathetic you're even here.

at +280

here's the rest of the list:

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350

Brett Bielema +400

Dan Mullen +400

Jeff Lebby +450

Jim Leonhard +450

Jamey Chadwell +550

Alex Golesh +550

Mark Stoops +600

Lance Leipold +650

Matt Rhule +700

PJ Fleck +700

Gary Patterson +800

Urban Meyer +900

Dave Aranda +900

Jeff Brohm +900

Jeff Tedford +900

Kyle Whittingham +1000

Tosh Lupoi +1000

Greg Schiano +1300

Dave Doeren +1500

Zach Kittley +1500

Pat Fitzgerald +2000

Mark Whipple +2000

Chip Kelly +2200

Jim Knowles +2200

David Shaw +2500

Chris Marve +2500

Manny Diaz +2500

Lane Kiffin +3000

Ed Orgeron +5000
I can tell you unequivocally Pat Fitzgerald isn’t going anywhere

I'll take Mickey as HC. Jeff Lebby as OC. Bill Callahan as OL coach. I'll take Applewhite as RB coach. I'll go with Leonard or Schiano as DC. I'll take Vince in the recruiting dept.

I'd keep Busch as ST coordinator EXCEPT NU starts returning kickoffs and punts.
You want them to return kicks and punts? Gee, I thought that was an improvement of this team that they were not trying to run it back. I guess we could always petition the NCAA to see if Cam Taylor-Britt could get a few more years so he could fumble a few more punts for your liking.

at +280

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350

Brett Bielema +400

Dan Mullen +400

Jeff Lebby +450

Jim Leonhard +450

Jamey Chadwell +550

Alex Golesh +550

Mark Stoops +600

Lance Leipold +650

Matt Rhule +700

PJ Fleck +700

Gary Patterson +800

Urban Meyer +900

Dave Aranda +900

Jeff Brohm +900

Jeff Tedford +900

Kyle Whittingham +1000

Tosh Lupoi +1000

Greg Schiano +1300

Dave Doeren +1500

Zach Kittley +1500

Pat Fitzgerald +2000

Mark Whipple +2000

Chip Kelly +2200

Jim Knowles +2200

David Shaw +2500

Chris Marve +2500

Manny Diaz +2500

Lane Kiffin +3000

Ed Orgeron +5000
Neb. can do better than Luke Fickel

You want them to return kicks and punts? Gee, I thought that was an improvement of this team that they were not trying to run it back. I guess we could always petition the NCAA to see if Cam Taylor-Britt could get a few more years so he could fumble a few more punts for your liking.
Of course NU should be returning returnable punts and kickoffs. It's kinda part of the game.

At the current time, NU returning punts is almost non-existent since NU is no longer able to force teams to punt because the defense is so miserable.

You realize among the 135 FBS schools, only 8 teams in the country have not even attempted to return a punt and NU is included among those 8?

By contrast, the TOP 8 punt returning teams in the country have returned 50 punts for 850 yards (avg 17ppr) and they've scored 8 touchdowns.

If you don't even try to return a punt why have starters and your best ST players in that aspect of the game?

It's that Fear of Failure mentality from the former Frost regime.

Unless and until NU figures out a way to stop the opposing offenses they should be trying to manufacture as many points as possible. As we know, a lot of punts are not returnable anyway.

Even back in the Bill Callahan era, Groce was almost single-handedly responsible for 2-3 wins due to punt returns.

By the way, the pros can have CTB.

How many punts did NU fumble last year once they got CTB out of returning punts?

Neb. can do better than Luke Fickel
Really - like who? There's a reason he's at the top of every school's list when a bigtime opening surfaces.

And Nebraska might not be the "ultimate" HC job like many on here are making it to be. The Texas HS pipeline has almost dried up since Nebraska's Big 8 / 12 days and almost every coach - looking at NU - realizes this as NU has to go a 400 to 500 miles radius for decent HS recruits.

If NU has a chance with Fickell, they better jump on it

at +280

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350

Brett Bielema +400

Dan Mullen +400

Jeff Lebby +450

Jim Leonhard +450

Jamey Chadwell +550

Alex Golesh +550

Mark Stoops +600

Lance Leipold +650

Matt Rhule +700

PJ Fleck +700

Gary Patterson +800

Urban Meyer +900

Dave Aranda +900

Jeff Brohm +900

Jeff Tedford +900

Kyle Whittingham +1000

Tosh Lupoi +1000

Greg Schiano +1300

Dave Doeren +1500

Zach Kittley +1500

Pat Fitzgerald +2000

Mark Whipple +2000

Chip Kelly +2200

Jim Knowles +2200

David Shaw +2500

Chris Marve +2500

Manny Diaz +2500

Lane Kiffin +3000

Ed Orgeron +5000
Bill O'Brien would be a horrible choice. Well would be okay but he would also want to be AD and University Pres.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Frost game management for ya
I agree to some extent, but we brought in two transfers to either win or send games like that into OT: Palmer and Bleekerode. The transfer kick returner brought it out to the 24 instead of taking it to midfield or to the house, which was the promise. The transfer kicker missed the game-tying FG and is now 1-of-3 for the season.

Something in the water, apparently. Nobody performs in red these days. Nobody.

worth noting Matt Rhule completely botched a game management scenario yesterday that every 10-year old with Madden downloaded could've gotten right

had the ball in opponent territory on 1st down with less than 3 mins left, kicked a 47-yd FG with 90 seconds on the clock

cost the panthers the game (along with a roughing the passer penalty with less than a minute left)

Bill O’Brien hated recruiting and is an NFL pedigree. He can win with a built team but he may hate going on the road more than Pelini.

Aranda is the same kind of hire as Frost, not a large sample size and did it with Ruhle recruits.

Most others are good developers, hard to tell if they’d up their recruiting here to hit another level.

Ya know what’s irontic. Helton was fired last year by USC after the second game, and now Frost has lost his job to Helton a year later after
I think he’d be great. But he’s 62. Might a bit too seasoned

Reactions: BleedRed78
a few rea$on$:

1. he'$ over$hadowed by a legend in hi$ own backyard (Coach Cal)
2. football is #2 in Kentucky and alway$ will be

He's making almost $7 million/year already. Which means he'd likely ask for $10million/year. There's no way a coach who barely has a .500 record and has never even won his division is worth that much.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Both Klieman and Fickel walked on the Michigan State job. So, I can't see either interested in taking N.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Fickell would be a godsend to Nebraska, and is probably the closest thing to a perfect hire that the program could get. His defenses have been top 26 the past 4 years in F+, top 10 the past 2. With G5 recruits, he has outperformed a TON of teams.

Bearcats, after losing their DB coach and a slew of players, took #10 Arkansas to the wire in Fayetteville. They had nearly identical stats to the Hogs, with 436 yards of O, 50% on third down, and 2 fewer punts.

Fickell is getting 4-star guys to Cincinnati. Don't sell Nebraska short, Lincoln is a mecca for talent with the right staff. Nothing about Lincoln is worse in any way than Tuscaloosa, Norman, Stillwater (crap hole), or any other non-LA/Columbus city. Don't settle for mediocre try-hard Matt Campbell. There's a lot to sell about Nebraska. Just need a good salesman. Fickell is that guy.

Mark Stoops is a similar guy, who would have so much more to work with. He gets that things start up front. Look at Kentucky's recruiting class. They're monsters. From out of state. And they're going to Lexington, Kentucky, which has less football cache than Elkhorn.

ADVERTISEMENT