ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Fickell Opens as Favorite to Become Next Husker HC

Well the beauty of this, is MJ gets the keys for awhile to evaluate how it goes.

It also gives Trev time to talk to a lot of people.

I'm very curious to see if MJ grabs this bull by the horns and starts driving the program first thing tomorrow.

I would be super encouraged to see that.
I think he will have these boys running through brick walls

at +280

here's the rest of the list:

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350

Brett Bielema +400

Dan Mullen +400

Jeff Lebby +450

Jim Leonhard +450

Jamey Chadwell +550

Alex Golesh +550

Mark Stoops +600

Lance Leipold +650

Matt Rhule +700

PJ Fleck +700

Gary Patterson +800

Urban Meyer +900

Dave Aranda +900

Jeff Brohm +900

Jeff Tedford +900

Kyle Whittingham +1000

Tosh Lupoi +1000

Greg Schiano +1300

Dave Doeren +1500

Zach Kittley +1500

Pat Fitzgerald +2000

Mark Whipple +2000

Chip Kelly +2200

Jim Knowles +2200

David Shaw +2500

Chris Marve +2500

Manny Diaz +2500

Lane Kiffin +3000

Ed Orgeron +5000
Here is your internal list:
Urban Meyer, Bill O'Brien, Luke Fickle, Dan O'Brien and Jeff Lenny.

Reactions: Frozone
Not advocating for the hire but after yesterday how does Clay Helton not appear on that list?
Once again. I'm really sick of our fans' fascination and fixation on mediocre opponent HC's that come in and annihilate our team.

There seems to be some long held unconscious belief that if NU gets beat, that the other coach is a "legend" and nobody else can see it. Rationale is simply because "his team beat us! And we're NU so hes gotta be good!!". Hes then furthermore put on a pedestal.

Take Paul Rhoads in 2009. He bawled on national TV in an emotional spectacle after winning 9-7. A game where ISU had no business winning as NU fumbled at the goaline 5+ times? After the game our fans fell in love with the guy and prayed for him for years to come replace Bo. If he was so great why didn't anyone hire him away? Answer: he sucked as bad as Frost.

Now it's Campbell in the same shoes. Klieman. Leopold. Can we please remove the blinders from the surrounding states?

Once again. I'm really sick of our fans' fascination and fixation on mediocre opponent HC's that come in and annihilate our team.

There seems to be some long held unconscious belief that if NU gets beat, that the other coach is a "legend" and nobody else can see it. Rationale is simply because "his team beat us! And we're NU so hes gotta be good!!". Hes then furthermore put on a pedestal.

Take Paul Rhoads in 2009. He bawled on national TV in an emotional spectacle after winning 9-7. A game where ISU had no business winning as NU fumbled at the goaline 5+ times? After the game our fans fell in love with the guy and prayed for him for years to come replace Bo. If he was so great why didn't anyone hire him away? Answer: he sucked as bad as Frost.
I am not advocating for Helton to be hired - I am advocating for a betting site to include him on the list to get some easy money due to the recency bias you mention

however you do realize that if Frost had the same record as Helton at USC they would already be chiseling the statue

I am not advocating for Helton to be hired - I am advocating for a betting site to include him on the list to get some easy money due to the recency bias you mention

however you do realize that if Frost had the same record as Helton at USC they would already be chiseling the statue
46-24 at Nebraska wouldn't cut it for a statue. Bo went 67-27 and he's simply a statistic. So, no I doubt it.

Kong - I really don’t have an opinion on either but you seem to be higher on Klieman than Campbell when really they have had very similar results at KSU and ISU

Why?
pass on kleiman, too, in my opinion

both took big leaps and neither have really taken off

Which ones. If true, Who knows why he passed. I didnt predict we would get em.
He definitely turned down MSU and told USC that he wasn't interested as he didn't want to uproot his family to move to the West Coast. There's been supposedly others. He's a Midwest guy and seems to want to wait it out for OSU to open up - if it happens in the next few years.

The other school he would make a move to is Notre Dame (he's a strong Catholic) and, of course, those bozos never offered as they went after an assistant with no previous HC experience (Freeman). Think they regret it now? Supposedly the ND players pushed for him

But who knows if Nebraska offers him the right situation and MONEY ?

at +280

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350
I hope we hire a coach who isn't a wow hire. Someone who's coached and recruited in the Midwest. Someone with a reputation for having physical, disciplined football teams.

And if the message boards hate the hire, that will probably be a sign that he's the right guy.

He definitely turned down MSU and told USC that he wasn't interested as he didn't want to uproot his family to move to the West Coast. There's been supposedly others. He's a Midwest guy and seems to want to wait it out for OSU to open up - if it happens in the next few years.

The other school he would make a move to is Notre Dame (he's a strong Catholic) and, of course, those bozos never offered as they went after an assistant with no previous HC experience (Freeman). Think they regret it now? Supposedly the ND players pushed for him

But who knows if Nebraska offers him the right situation and MONEY ?
Hmmm, the Lincoln diocese is one of the most Catholicy in the country

Reactions: wolve1972
Imagine talking smack on a message board to a team that
-your record against is 17-86-2
-You lost the most recent game
-your longest winning streak is 3 games in the 1940s
-your longest losing streak is 15 games
-your stadium is half the size of
-your trophy case is 1/100th the size of (quite literally)

…and thinking the other fans are dumb.

Seriously cannot be any dumber than this iowa state fan.

This is a great time to hire a coach. Much better this year than last. There may be lesser schools that need coaches, but not many higher value schools. Most of those jobs got sucked up last year.

I’ll take the ground and pound bring your lunch pail to work coach.

Play the field position game, manage the clock, attention to detail and special teams.

I didn’t see him on the list and I wouldn’t be surprised if the person we hire is someone that no one’s even talking about.

Here is the definitive list that Nebraska should seek. Keep in mind 1) All Nebraska Linemen want to run the ball. If you sell them something else, it’s still in the back of their minds. 2). All HS Option Quarterbacks want to consider Tommy Frazier’s Alma Mater. 3) All running backs want to consider Nebraska, USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State. These facts are 100% indisputable. Right HS players don’t remember Frazier but once you get them on campus what a highlight reel. 4) You’ve got a new $150 dollar facility.

Coaches,
A) Troy Calhoun, Air Force, just run the ball, player development, discipline, recruiting, paid his dues.
B) Jeff Monken, Army same qualification as Calhoun.
C) Luke Fickell, Cincinnati is winner who recruits and likes mid west.
D) Matt Campbell, ISU, same as Fickell.
E) Matt Rhule, Panthers, winner in college and kids want to play for a pro coach.
Let them pick their staff, keep three or four. Give them huge salary with huge incentives low buy out if they aren’t successful.

Last edited:
at +280

Bill O'Brien +300

Matt Campbell +350

Mickey Joseph +350

Chris Klieman +350

Brett Bielema +400

Dan Mullen +400

Jeff Lebby +450

Jim Leonhard +450

Jamey Chadwell +550

Alex Golesh +550

Mark Stoops +600

Lance Leipold +650

Matt Rhule +700

PJ Fleck +700

Gary Patterson +800

Urban Meyer +900

Dave Aranda +900

Jeff Brohm +900

Jeff Tedford +900

Kyle Whittingham +1000

Tosh Lupoi +1000

Greg Schiano +1300

Dave Doeren +1500

Zach Kittley +1500

Pat Fitzgerald +2000

Mark Whipple +2000

Chip Kelly +2200

Jim Knowles +2200

David Shaw +2500

Chris Marve +2500

Manny Diaz +2500

Lane Kiffin +3000

Ed Orgeron +5000
Rhule, Urban, Stoops (either brother) Leipold or Whittingham
Completely pass on Liepold, that would totally finish Nebraska becoming the Kansas of The BIG.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT