ADVERTISEMENT

Long run of bad decisions

regoratsginrom

Blackshirt
May 15, 2004
IMO, the current state of Nebraska football is a result of a continued series of bad decison making by the higher ups in the South Stadium and the Chancellor's office.

The Steve Pederson hire was a terrible hire. He put his own ego in front of everything else that mattered.
The firing of Frank Solich was probably a year premature. He was having issues but should have been given the chance to turn them around.
The Pelini hire was a failure. He wasn't ready to be a head coach and there were early signs of what we all saw in the last couple of years regarding his sideline demeanor and the way he viewed the fans.
The Eichorst hire is looking to be a bad one as well. Our teams in general have been on a downward trend since his arrival. His handling of the Riley hire is suspect at best.
The move to the B1G has not been good. I get that there were financial implications but we were always a better "fit" in the Big 12. And had we stayed, much of the stability issues with the Big 12 would not have been as big an issue. We needed to beat Texas, not run away from them.
The Riley hire was suspect, mostly because it seems we didn't interview anyone else.

We haven't made a good decison regarding Nebraska football in a long, long time. And we're paying the price.

IMO, the current state of Nebraska football is a result of a continued series of bad decison making by the higher ups in the South Stadium and the Chancellor's office.

The Steve Pederson hire was a terrible hire. He put his own ego in front of everything else that mattered.
The firing of Frank Solich was probably a year premature. He was having issues but should have been given the chance to turn them around.
The Pelini hire was a failure. He wasn't ready to be a head coach and there were early signs of what we all saw in the last couple of years regarding his sideline demeanor and the way he viewed the fans.
The Eichorst hire is looking to be a bad one as well. Our teams in general have been on a downward trend since his arrival. His handling of the Riley hire is suspect at best.
The move to the B1G has not been good. I get that there were financial implications but we were always a better "fit" in the Big 12. And had we stayed, much of the stability issues with the Big 12 would not have been as big an issue. We needed to beat Texas, not run away from them.
The Riley hire was suspect, mostly because it seems we didn't interview anyone else.

We haven't made a good decison regarding Nebraska football in a long, long time. And we're paying the price.
Correct me if I heard wrong, but didn't Frankie have a little "Carl" issue going on about the time he got fired?

Reactions: cornwoman
IIRC, the Pederson hire was almost unanimously praised at the time. Husker admin makes good and comes home to steer the ship. Virtually nobody foresaw the ego trip that was to come.

Exactly. When he went off to Tennessee it was basically to get seasoning in other places before he returned to NU. He was the heir in waiting. Had Pearlman not basically rubber-stamped Pederson's return and gone with someone other than Pederson a LOT of very influential people would have been furious. No one foresaw the ego trip, as grayhairedfreak so rightly calls it, that was to come.

IIRC, the Pederson hire was almost unanimously praised at the time. Husker admin makes good and comes home to steer the ship. Virtually nobody foresaw the ego trip that was to come.

Pedy was the man everyone wanted including the fans who were aware of his experience. He had the credentials and experience due to working at Nebraska, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Pitt. I'd say no "Virtually" about it.

I would also argue that the hire of Pelini, though not a slam dunk, was also viewed as a good decision at the time. There were concerns, but they were outweighed by the potential that he seemed to show. One of those that, when looking back, we wish we could do over again. In that sense, maybe it was a bad hire. But at the time it wasn't seen that way, at least not by the majority, in my opinion.

Reactions: newAD
The first bad decision was allowing Osborne to name his successor, when we were the top of the college football landscape. NU could have had any coach at that point, we were the Alabama then.

Reactions: WHCSC
I would also argue that the hire of Pelini, though not a slam dunk, was also viewed as a good decision at the time. There were concerns, but they were outweighed by the potential that he seemed to show. One of those that, when looking back, we wish we could do over again. In that sense, maybe it was a bad hire. But at the time it wasn't seen that way, at least not by the majority, in my opinion.
Agreed. The Pelini we hired in 2007 was not the Pelini we saw in the last couple of years at NU. He couldn't handle the criticism that came his way, which magnified his worst traits.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT