ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln one of top 100 U.S cities to live.

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven

Lincoln, NE, Is One of the Best Cities To Live in America​

All are welcome in Lincoln, NE, from college students to retirees. Lincoln is a refugee resettlement city, and this is a place with a heartfelt commitment to helping its immigrant and refugee community thrive.

As one of the best places to live in the U.S., the capital of Nebraska offers a low cost of living and a high quality of life with access to more than 120 parks, average commute times under 20 minutes and a whole lot of hometown pride (Go, Huskers!). At the center of it all is The Railyard, an entertainment district with restaurants and bars. The Railyard is across from Pinnacle Bank Arena, a 15,500 arena that hosts concerts and sporting events.

In recent years, Lincoln has become known for both its growing craft beer and foodie scenes. The Haymarket District, a revitalized area of town where the past meets the present, houses various restaurants, boutiques and galleries. Stretch your legs at Holmes Lake, a 110-acre reservoir, where visitors can fish, bike and walk along the trails or visit the free Hyde Memorial Observatory.

Agree or disagree? I love Lincoln. Not too big to have the crime and traffic like Omaha but big enough to do the concerts, Husker games, restaurants, etc I know @Jaemekon hates the traffic. Rep your city and do you like living there?
Don't get me wrong, I love Lincoln, but the city street infrastructure and city street works department are a freaking joke. They have no idea of how the city is growing and have wasted ten to hundreds of millions of dollars on redoing streets and roads in newer parts of the city to widen and or accommodate higher traffic flow. The inability to go north/south is a real issue.

The new south belt way connecting 77 to Hwy 2 is a game changer, at least for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lincoln, but the city street infrastructure and city street works department are a freaking joke. They have no idea of how the city is growing and have wasted ten to hundreds of millions of dollars on redoing streets and roads in newer parts of the city to widen and or accommodate higher traffic flow. The inability to go north/south is a real issue.

The new south belt way connecting 77 to Hwy 2 is a game changer, at least for me.
Agree on the streets. The new beltway helps with the flow. Our mayor is also an idiot. That doesn't help.

They fought the natural growth pattern for decades now they're finally doing what should have been done 30 years ago . Now we'll see if they get the beltway finished to Waverly area

Agree or disagree? I love Lincoln. Not too big to have the crime and traffic like Omaha but big enough to do the concerts, Husker games, restaurants, etc. I know @Jaemekon hates the traffic. Rep your city and do you like living there?

i live far enough away from downtown that i might as well not be in Lincoln. i don't do the extras, so not really a benefit to me. I'm not as thrilled with the sanctuary city bring me all your useless people stuff that most of these progressives seem to love.

it's like every decision they make is the opposite of what i would do. except for the bypass that's great for not driving in Lincoln. Lincoln obviously is not for me, it's just way too bullshitty.

i want to get out, but....

The city is real shit at designing roads except they have done a great job designing a belt way...wat? Freeways kill city infrastructure and flow within a city, better to wait until you absolutely need one because they are costly and inevitably lead to rot within the city itself as people bypass shops, fooderies, parks and other things to zoom from suburb to suburb. The one thing I love about having to drive through Lincoln is being reminded that human beings live and love within the city, are moving into older neighborhoods and revitalizing areas instead of just moving to cookie cutter facades far-away from city life.

I left at 18, but have many fond memories.
I toy with moving back to some rural Eastern Nebraska property soon, as I am near that age 😋

I believe both Lincoln and Omaha were in the Top 100. Of course with all of these ranking lists it always depends on the criteria used and no two people usually have the exact same criteria.

i live far enough away from downtown that i might as well not be in Lincoln. i don't do the extras, so not really a benefit to me. I'm not as thrilled with the sanctuary city bring me all your useless people stuff that most of these progressives seem to love.

it's like every decision they make is the opposite of what i would do. except for the bypass that's great for not driving in Lincoln. Lincoln obviously is not for me, it's just way too bullshitty.

i want to get out, but....

Be honest...how big of an erection did you get when you saw another thread where you could rip on Lincoln :p

I think Lincoln has really gone down hill under current political and police leadership. Roads are awful. Seems like there’s more theft activity. I recall downtown always being pretty mellow but it seems like there are more fights. Weekend drag racing on O street is ridiculous. Panhandlers and homeless everywhere too. Wesley, Seng and Buetler were far better mayors than LGB. I also think the chief has no idea how to run a force in a Midwestern mid size town.

And property taxes and valuations are brutal.

Now get off my lawn.

On the positive side, Cosmic Eye brewing is damn good, and there are some good mom and pop type restaurants in town

Be honest...how big of an erection did you get when you saw another thread where you could rip on Lincoln :p

i swole up. 😍🤙

carmen-gif.gif

I think Lincoln has really gone down hill under current political and police leadership. Roads are awful. Seems like there’s more theft activity. I recall downtown always being pretty mellow but it seems like there are more fights. Weekend drag racing on O street is ridiculous. Panhandlers and homeless everywhere too. Wesley, Seng and Buetler were far better mayors than LGB. I also think the chief has no idea how to run a force in a Midwestern mid size town.

And property taxes and valuations are brutal.

Now get off my lawn.

On the positive side, Cosmic Eye brewing is damn good, and there are some good mom and pop type restaurants in town

property crime is up in my neighborhood. 😔

My father-in-law always claimed that the business environment of Lincoln is difficult. Omaha is much more favorable. Can anyone confirm?

My father-in-law always claimed that the business environment of Lincoln is difficult. Omaha is much more favorable. Can anyone confirm?
Think business in Lincoln is pretty solid, Public Schools probably suck a LITTLE less than in other (more screwed up) states. Mayor is an idiot and roads were SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for gridlock. From the mouth of one of their city traffic engineers.

Should spend a few billion of taxpayer money designing a Bostonian Big Dig, instead of pissing away money like they do otherwise…

• Love
Reactions: Laner2 and Jaemekon
I've only ever lived in Lincoln so I can't compare it to any other city as a resident.

The best part of living in Lincoln is that it makes any travel destination seem exotic by comparison.

ME: "We're going to Topeka this weekend!"
FAMILY: "YAY!!"

Only spent 4 years in Lincoln, as a country bumpkin from BFE the first 2 years were a fun change of scenery but by the end of year 3 I was pining for some John Denver country roads take me home. Been back for games and concerts, will always be a husker but I will encourage my kids to go to college elsewhere. Actually prefer Omaha over Lincoln only for the driving ease.

I lived in Lincoln when I went to college, I have relatives that live there but it’s not for me, the older I get I don’t care for the traffic and those freaking roundabout so I buy in smaller cities or online

I've only ever lived in Lincoln so I can't compare it to any other city as a resident.

The best part of living in Lincoln is that it makes any travel destination seem exotic by comparison.

ME: "We're going to Topeka this weekend!"
FAMILY: "YAY!!"
I always used to joke with my wife that we spent as much time driving from Omaha to Lincoln as we did driving through Lincoln to get to our destination. It really wasn’t that much of an exaggeration. Id always ask if this was the fastest way, before navigation

Lincoln, NE, Is One of the Best Cities To Live in America​

All are welcome in Lincoln, NE, from college students to retirees. Lincoln is a refugee resettlement city, and this is a place with a heartfelt commitment to helping its immigrant and refugee community thrive.

As one of the best places to live in the U.S., the capital of Nebraska offers a low cost of living and a high quality of life with access to more than 120 parks, average commute times under 20 minutes and a whole lot of hometown pride (Go, Huskers!). At the center of it all is The Railyard, an entertainment district with restaurants and bars. The Railyard is across from Pinnacle Bank Arena, a 15,500 arena that hosts concerts and sporting events.

In recent years, Lincoln has become known for both its growing craft beer and foodie scenes. The Haymarket District, a revitalized area of town where the past meets the present, houses various restaurants, boutiques and galleries. Stretch your legs at Holmes Lake, a 110-acre reservoir, where visitors can fish, bike and walk along the trails or visit the free Hyde Memorial Observatory.
Might be top 50 if not for the commie mayor.

property crime is up in my neighborhood. 😔
Is it? Do you have any data to support that or you just going off the Nextdoor App complaints?
I find it so funny people (mainly older folks) always say "this kind of stuff never happened in my day" yea no shit you didn't notice what was going on because there wasn't social media, ring cameras and the nextdoor app for all you to cackle over everything... Data shows property crime rate has decreased from 2003 to Today for not only Lincoln but Omaha and Nebraska as a whole..

Is it? Do you have any data to support that or you just going off the Nextdoor App complaints?
I find it so funny people (mainly older folks) always say "this kind of stuff never happened in my day" yea no shit you didn't notice what was going on because there wasn't social media, ring cameras and the nextdoor app for all you to cackle over everything... Data shows property crime rate has decreased from 2003 to Today for not only Lincoln but Omaha and Nebraska as a whole..
Actually, I do have evidence to support it in my area of town. It’s called a CAP index. I have access through it via my job. And there are certain pockets of Lincoln where specific crimes are up substantially, including larceny and assault. North and west Lincoln primarily are seeing increases, while the south part of town is seeing a substantial decrease. So overall one could make the case that crime rates are steady. That’s cold comfort to the people who live in the part of town where things are getting worse.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Actually, I do have evidence to support it in my area of town. It’s called a CAP index. I have access through it via my job. And there are certain pockets of Lincoln where specific crimes are up substantially, including larceny and assault. North and west Lincoln primarily are seeing increases, while the south part of town is seeing a substantial decrease. So overall one could make the case that crime rates are steady. That’s cold comfort to the people who live in the part of town where things are getting worse.
Show it then? As a whole the city of Lincoln crime rate has decreased since 2003

how would there be data available for the current year? Lincoln's leaders are not capable of providing up to date stats like that. Bro, be serious.

how would there be data available for the current year? Lincoln's leaders are not capable of providing up to date stats like that. Bro, be serious.
You think the current year just spiked up the rate over 100 points? Bro, be serious

• Love
Reactions: Jaemekon
I know you hate Lincoln and its roundabouts but come on.. The data is available

in my neighborhood? if it went from 0 to 1, would that be 100 points?
How did you figure that ?

I dont know your neighborhood so I can't look but Lincoln as a whole has decreased since 2003

How did you figure that ?

I dont know your neighborhood so I can't look but Lincoln as a whole has decreased since 2003

Grandview estates. it's not covered in those resources. as far as i can tell.

I always used to joke with my wife that we spent as much time driving from Omaha to Lincoln as we did driving through Lincoln to get to our destination. It really wasn’t that much of an exaggeration. Id always ask if this was the fastest way, before navigation
Born and raised in Lincoln, live in Omaha. This is 100% accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT