ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Not Kid Ourselves...

PeliniTheCrutch

Defensive Coordinator
Jul 4, 2016
this is a sh!tshow. Just like Riley was responsible to get kids to buy in, so is Frost. Don't get me wrong, Riley is the worst HC ever at Nebraska, and he softened up this program to an incredible level, but the current HC is responsible for many things that are going on out there, especially the level of quit in the players. There will be rapid turnover, and I definitely believe in Frost, but this will certainly be good for him to re-evaluate some things. Regardless, the team will show on the field what the coach emphasizes. Not sure what that is right now.

this is a sh!tshow. Just like Riley was responsible to get kids to buy in, so is Frost. Don't get me wrong, Riley is the worst HC ever at Nebraska, and he softened up this program to an incredible level, but the current HC is responsible for many things that are going on out there, especially the level of quit in the players. There will be rapid turnover, and I definitely believe in Frost, but this will certainly be good for him to re-evaluate some things. Regardless, the team will show on the field what the coach emphasizes. Not sure what that is right now.
The difference is that given time Frost has proven that he can fix situations like this. We'll get better.

Fair enough. But have to give it more than three games to assess much. I’m not happy, but many are jumping to unreasonable and unhealthy conclusions already, which is no good

Maybe we have a deep state at NU. Lol

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker

Bigtime. Given the level of depressive hysteria statewide, I would expect a complete and utter meltdown.

These players are incapable of playing good football. Not sure why so bad, but when you see guys with a look in their eye like they don't enjoy playing the game, it's a huge, huge problem.

Frost is going to have to make some difficult decisions this week. He hinted at it in the press conference. We may very well have talent, but if that talent is not going to give 100% effort it might be time to play some of the guys that will give that effort. Even if the talent is not there.

Exactly. However, these 3 games cannot be excused is all I'm saying.
They happened, but it could be the bad before it got better or it could be the start of a complete disaster, we don’t know yet. And we all need to hope for the first.

I’ve never understood how you can blame a coach for kids not wanting to play for them...someone tell me how you convince a kid that never agreed to play for you, that your way is better than what they signed up for.

Well if that didn't matter, then they would all get paid the same.

I’ve never understood how you can blame a coach for kids not wanting to play for them...someone tell me how you convince a kid that never agreed to play for you, that your way is better than what they signed up for.

But how do you turn around a team of players that can't stand playing the game? Zero fire, no desire, just a complete lack of will to compete.

Look, I might suck at something and get my ass kicked, but I will try. There is effort. Intended spirit toward success. I just see a bunch of players that are completely apathetic to the contest.

Watch other games, you can see it in someone's eyes, whether they want to win. We don't.

They happened, but it could be the bad before it got better or it could be the start of a complete disaster, we don’t know yet. And we all need to hope for the first.

Absolutely. Like I said, I believe in the HC and his staff, but this will get them in the no-stones-unturned mode, which is great IMO.

Reactions: headcard
Some of them bought the hype that it would be all sunshine and roses and now that it's not they're wondering why the heck they're at NU. It may be time to flush a few more out this off season. We'll get it figured out.

Reactions: huskerfan66
But how do you turn around a team of players that can't stand playing the game? Zero fire, no desire, just a complete lack of will to compete.

Look, I might suck at something and get my ass kicked, but I will try. There is effort. Intended spirit toward success. I just see a bunch of players that are completely apathetic to the contest.

Watch other games, you can see it in someone's eyes, whether they want to win. We don't.

I don’t agree with you much but this is spot on. Michigan players said we didn’t want to play today. How does a coach fix his players not wanting to compete?!? That’s culture. That takes time.

I don’t agree with you much but this is spot on. Michigan players said we didn’t want to play today. How does a coach fix his players not wanting to compete?!? That’s culture. That takes time.
Get rid of them

Get rid of them

Same thing happens with employees and the only real solution is to cut em, some people just aren't cut out for the job. Unfortunately, finding new people in a 3.5% unemployment pool isn't easy.

Same way here, need to replace with large numbers, not a quick fix, but a necessary one. I just hope we can replace them with guys that can compete.

We tried. Problem is those kids said the right things and acted like they wanted to compete...now the season is here and they realized how hard that actually is and don’t know how to give 100%. This isn’t as cut and dry as everyone thinks

Have to play out the season. Need to really push the "come in and play right away" recruiting pitch book.

This team is mentally weak/soft. There comes a time whether you are ahigh school or college player, you only have 4 years. Either $hit or get off the pot. IF you want to get to the NFL, kick it in the you know what. If you just want to get a degree fine. But winners want to win. And winners don't fail. IF they do they learn from it and get better

I'm not sure that we didn't want to compete. I think we don't know HOW to compete yet. You need to have relative successful experiences to build on and we missed out on the Akron game and lost 2 other games we should have won. These guys ended the year on a horrible note last year and things have started the same way. Their psyches can't be in a good spot. Hopefully we get a win against Purdue and start to build them back up.

We tried. Problem is those kids said the right things and acted like they wanted to compete...now the season is here and they realized how hard that actually is and don’t know how to give 100%. This isn’t as cut and dry as everyone thinks
Look for the next couple of weeks to be interesting. And they off season. I think the coaches are learning more about the guys that are here and what needs to be done with them

The difference is that given time Frost has proven that he can fix situations like this. We'll get better.
I agree with parts of all the previous posts here,,,,Riley did leave a sh!tshow...and we need to give it more then 3 games ....and before I get accused of not being a "true" fan or being a troll....I do believe Scott Frost is our guy and hope he can do it. But just show me some kind of improvement from what a smiling Mike team showed...the supposed improvement in conditioning should manifest in some sort of improvement on the field.....which maybe we some what saw in the Colorado game but has vanished since.

I am hopeful and really want the wheels to be put back on this bus...if Scott Frost can't do it I don't know who can...but 2 years of previous head coaching experience is not proof that he can fix this hot mess...it proves he could fix UCF....which is a totally different situation.

I guess we have to continue to cringe ....swear....drink...and support the Huskers even though it is going to be painful and frustrating...but that doesn't mean we have to ignore the product that we see on the field.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Who knows, it could be that we have Gebbia friends on the team who believed he should have gotten the job, and now don't trust/buy in to the coaches.

I agree with parts of all the previous posts here,,,,Riley did leave a sh!tshow...and we need to give it more then 3 games ....and before I get accused of not being a "true" fan or being a troll....I do believe Scott Frost is our guy and hope he can do it. But just show me some kind of improvement from what a smiling Mike team showed...the supposed improvement in conditioning should manifest in some sort of improvement on the field.....which maybe we some what saw in the Colorado game but has vanished since.

I am hopeful and really want the wheels to be put back on this bus...if Scott Frost can't do it I don't know who can...but 2 years of previous head coaching experience is not proof that he can fix this hot mess...it proves he could fix UCF....which is a totally different situation.

I guess we have to continue to cringe ....swear....drink...and support the Huskers even though it is going to be painful and frustrating...but that doesn't mean we have to ignore the product that we see on the field.
I saw our team up close before the game that got cancelled and there is an obvious improvement in physical appearance. We also pushed CU around pretty well for a good chunk of the game. This Michigan team has studs across the board in their fronts and a couple of guys who are expected to be first round NFL draft picks on D. This was not a good match up for guys like Farniok and Conrad and a couple of our defenders. We have some OBVIOUS holes on our 2 deep and Michigan exploited them.

I honestly don't know if Chinander will ever be the guy we need on the defensive side. He was very average at UCF and his defense wasn't remotely prepared at all today.

I also worry that our offense is going to require more speed than we can get to Lincoln. And exactly what has our coaching staff been doing the last 8 months??? Today looked as bad, if not worse than anything even Riley put on the field. I know it's early, but I certainly expected much better than what we've seen so far from this staff.

I fully expect us to lose by a couple TDs to Purdue, and that shouldn't happen under any Nebraska coach...period! I don't care if the coach is in his 1st year or 20th year.

I honestly don't know if Chinander will ever be the guy we need on the defensive side. He was very average at UCF and his defense wasn't remotely prepared at all today.

I also worry that our offense is going to require more speed than we can get to Lincoln. And exactly what has our coaching staff been doing the last 8 months??? Today looked as bad, if not worse than anything even Riley put on the field. I know it's early, but I certainly expected much better than what we've seen so far from this staff.

I fully expect us to lose by a couple TDs to Purdue, and that shouldn't happen under any Nebraska coach...period! I don't care if the coach is in his 1st year or 20th year.
Agree 100% on all points

I know it has only been 3 game but I see no improvement what so ever and the rest of the year not looking good.

I don’t think they hate playing. You don’t get to this level or put in the off season work this staff required if you hate playing. They just have had such little success and so much change they have no zero confidence. They are totally afraid of failure. And being in the fishbowl of Nebraska football right now can make it any better. What they really need is some success. The staff needs to put them in good spots and they need to make some plays early next week. They had fire and passion in the CU game, problem is they expect something to go wrong and to lose. And when we play teams like Michigan we expect to lose.

I agree, every coach is judged on how the team performs. Just one thing to keep in mind, Riley took over a bunch of players that only knew winning 9 & 10 games a year. He turned them into losers & quitters. SF took over a bunch of players that only knew losing & quitting & has to teach them how to become winners

And as bad as some of the attitudes may be with some of the players, it's up to this staff to get this team out of this funk and make them competitive, and they should be with at least five of the nine remaining games.

I quoted this in another thread from someone that I thought was profound:

"When you have to coach effort, it's an insurmountable goal to win games."

at least we saw a few mich punts forced today, albeit one being muffed. I figured out why so many fair catches on KO's. It was because with fair catches, the chances of the inevitable holding, block in the back, or other almost certain botched spec teams play are less likely (but not impossible). Eek

Lots of problems with the team right now. I think the main thing now is to get better at what they do, play lots of kids, work hard, rebuild. Sounds simple, but that is not exactly what has been done in the recent past.

It takes time. Take strength training for instance. Do you really think six months is enough time to catch up with the rest of the Big 10 elite? It will take YEARS of hard work.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT