ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Leipold

A CEO-type coach. A Matt Rhule, a Bill O’Brien, a Nick Saban, a Jim Harbaugh, a Dabo Swinney, an elite manager who can manage 30-40 things simultaneously all at once. Y have to be able to do that now in the NIL & Transfer Portal era. The head coaching job at Nebraska will no longer work with a coordinator-type coach anymore. We’re in the Big 10, not the Big 12.

Alberts has specified numerous times, if you catch his drifts in his press conferences, he wants a CEO guy who oversees and develops coordinators, coaches, who develops players and especially the trenches, a guy who grinds, who innovates – not only recruits, or specializes only in defense, or only in offense. This is why he said it’s not going to be flashy-splash hire. He is hunting for a CEO grinder, a guy who works 100 hours per week. The next guy is not a guy all Nebraskans will embrace at first. Alberts tried mentoring Frost into a CEO, and it didn’t work because Frost (1) wasn’t ready for the role or for the Big 10 and (2) had to abandon his Oregon/UCF identities and philosophies because he figured out in Year 3 that the Big 10 “wouldn’t adjust” to his system.

Make no mistake about it – Leipold is a still budding CEO. But I don’t think there’s mutual interest between him and Alberts. The next coach will 100% have to be close to Alberts because he wants alignment top-to-bottom in the football offices. We haven’t had that since TO retired – just a hunch of mooching internally. Shame on all those people who have mooched, and now Alberts has to essentially clean a lot of it up.
Quick - someone look up who was in Trev’s wedding party.

I will be disappointed as I see him as a second tier candidate.

At the same time, I will be open minded toward him being able to take the next step in his head coaching career with a blue blood program that has better facilities, fan support, NIL potential, etc than he has ever dreamed of in his former programs
11sq

Noooooooo!!!!! ...on LL.

I wanna score point. Lots of them. I'll take my chances with Chadwell thank you very much.

I am going to back and support whoever is hired. I am not going to start bagging on him the first time something goes wrong. However they will not get a free pass either.

If it is LL I feel pretty confident some other candidates passed on this HC job. Regardless of what some on here say/think this is not a “dream job” for many coaches. It’s also not a “we can get anybody” job.

I don’t like it, but those are cold, hard facts.

Quick - someone look up who was in Trev’s wedding party.
Oh snap! I did some searching and did you know that trev’s son was at West Point? Think Trev ever talked to Monken?

OK, you obviously have inside information so be a good Nebraska fan and tell us who it's going to be. P.S. I'll hold you to it. ;)
I’ll preface by saying I would absolutely support Leipold if he was our coach. I wish I knew who Alberts and CSA have narrowed the job down to, but I don’t know because he, Doug Ewald and CSA have everybody completely spinning. They are putting on a clinic in hyper-media era.

What I do know is that anything short of a CEO I don’t think Alberts would tolerate or hire. He has also eliminated a lot of names just with his discourse in press conferences. Trev wants trench development on both sides of the ball, not just OL. I do think LL is a rising CEO, but he is aging, and I just don’t see him being the CEO Alberts will offer/hire. I also think Alberts is also trying to do all that he can for Mickey to stay on staff.

Please do hold me to it – I’ll explain when we don’t hire him 😉

A CEO-type coach. A Matt Rhule, a Bill O’Brien, a Nick Saban, a Jim Harbaugh, a Dabo Swinney, an elite manager who can manage 30-40 things simultaneously all at once. Y have to be able to do that now in the NIL & Transfer Portal era. The head coaching job at Nebraska will no longer work with a coordinator-type coach anymore. We’re in the Big 10, not the Big 12.

Alberts has specified numerous times, if you catch his drifts in his press conferences, he wants a CEO guy who oversees and develops coordinators, coaches, who develops players and especially the trenches, a guy who grinds, who innovates – not only recruits, or specializes only in defense, or only in offense. This is why he said it’s not going to be flashy-splash hire. He is hunting for a CEO grinder, a guy who works 100 hours per week. The next guy is not a guy all Nebraskans will embrace at first. Alberts tried mentoring Frost into a CEO, and it didn’t work because Frost (1) wasn’t ready for the role or for the Big 10 and (2) had to abandon his Oregon/UCF identities and philosophies because he figured out in Year 3 that the Big 10 “wouldn’t adjust” to his system.

Make no mistake about it – Leipold is a still budding CEO. But I don’t think there’s mutual interest between him and Alberts. The next coach will 100% have to be close to Alberts because he wants alignment top-to-bottom in the football offices. We haven’t had that since TO retired – just a hunch of mooching internally. Shame on all those people who have mooched, and now Alberts has to essentially clean a lot of it up.
Good points. I’ve seen a couple times that Alberts is buddies with O’Brien. I don’t know the background on that. But I would be happy with O’Brien or Rhule among some others as the next hire.

Or do you mean no way in hell he gets the job, I hope. ;)
I'll give you tickets to the opener next year if he does. Trev wants Nebraska to win as much as anybody and isn't going to hire a project with an unimpressive resume.

Good points. I’ve seen a couple times that Alberts is buddies with O’Brien. I don’t know the background on that. But I would be happy with O’Brien or Rhule among some others as the next hire.
Hope O'Brien is a better head coach than coordinator. I actually think he is.

Leonhard likely to be promoted to Wisc HC per the news today. Not sure how this all factors in with LL.

I’d live with either but Leipold can’t be the choice..

Leonhard likely to be promoted to Wisc HC per the news today. Not sure how this all factors in with LL.
It definitely factors in. Lance is on record with a big affinity for the Wisconsin program. He was a GA for Alvarez in the very early 1990s at Wisconsin before coming to UNO in 1994. I think the job closing for Leonhard almost solidifies him staying at KU.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
In fairness to O’Brien Alabama has the worst receiving corps they have had for a long long time. There is no Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy , Jaylen Waddle, Henry Ruggs or Jameson Williams in that group.
He won't have those guys at Nebraska either. But he still a wide talent gap between his offense at Bama and everybody they have faced so far. Loads of mistakes and penalties have kept the games close though.

trev will capitulate to the panthers and pay what is needed for rhule...mickey will be wr coach and feed brady's rpo with skill players....but the dc and oline coach is still in play

• Wow
Reactions: stonesak
He should thank Nebraska too.
If Wisconsin is thinking Leonhard should be promoted to permanent head coach because of a 1 pt. win over snake bitten Nebraska, then I'm LOL. Although Leonhard is a good DC, I'm not that impressed that he'll be a good head coach. BUT as a Nebraska fan, good - I hope that's Wisconsin's choice.

Reactions: WHCSC
If Wisconsin is thinking Leonhard should be promoted to permanent head coach because of a 1 pt. win over snake bitten Nebraska, then I'm LOL. Although Leonhard is a good DC, I'm not that impressed that he'll be a good head coach. BUT as a Nebraska fan, good - I hope that's Wisconsin's choice.
It got them to a bowl game. That might have been what they were waiting for to make him the permanent head coach.

Reactions: HuskerJag
Lance is a damn good coach. He and Willie Fritz are arguably the 2 best coaches no one has heard of. They have disciplined, hard nosed, smart teams. Lance would do well here but boosters want a big name. That's why I think Trev is star chasing with a big name that can also coach. A lot of stars can't even tie up a pair of football cleats. See Scott A. Frost.

Lance would be a really solid hire. The boosters might not be impressed, but they got their way last time around and we all know how that turned out. Given the choice, I think he would take the WI job over Nebraska, but the noise about Leonhard at WI and LL here might be related.

Reactions: TheHuskerFreak
It definitely factors in. Lance is on record with a big affinity for the Wisconsin program. He was a GA for Alvarez in the early 1991 at Wisconsin before coming to UNO in 1994. I think the job closing for Leonhard almost solidifies him staying at KU.
I haven't kept close track of the local reports re: Mickey. But, regarding Leonhard, many players have been on record openly "campaigning" for him to get the HC job.

I don't see a lot of that with MJ. I only bring that up, because; of MJ was truly a "real" candidate, if numerous players were pushing for him to be the permanent HC, I wonder if that would have played into Trev's decision. I understand, you don't let the inmates run the asylum, but do wonder if enough of player sentiment plays a role.

Of note with LL and Buffalo they were 13-11 before his arrival and his record also suggested he did a complete teardown in the first couple years before they got "hot" for MAC standards.

I think we're all familiar with the situation at KU and what he's done in a short amount of time. I think he'd take the same approach and I doubt we see significant improvement until year 3.
It definitely factors in. Lance is on record with a big affinity for the Wisconsin program. He was a GA for Alvarez in the early 1991 at Wisconsin before coming to UNO in 1994. I think the job closing for Leonhard almost solidifies him staying at KU.

Lance is a damn good coach. He and Willie Fritz are arguably the 2 best coaches no one has heard of. They have disciplined, hard nosed, smart teams. Lance would do well here but boosters want a big name. That's why I think Trev is star chasing with a big name that can also coach. A lot of stars can't even tie up a pair of football cleats. See Scott A. Frost.
If Fritz were 52 instead of 62, I wonder if he'd be on the radar.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
What if Trev announces a week from today that Lance Leipold is the 34th Head Coach at Nebraska..

How disappointed would you be in the hire?

Heard there is some smoke with this.
Complete failure by TA. Not firing Frost last year and not waiting until buyout drop to hire LL means our top 3-4 candidates fell through. This is a Riley or Callahan level hire (better options said no).

If LL gets the job, it means Trev struck out on his a list people.
Like who? If it is LL, I think he would have been pretty high on the list anyways since he has a track record of building programs.

LL or a coach with a similar mindset is what be required. The next faces a total rebuild. We have very little talent to work with here. People can spin it all they want but the record the last 5 years speaks for itself.

SF ran off alot of the talent and severely missed on the evaluation of what is currently here. Except for the transfers nothing but a losing culture on the roster. Pull the scholarships of the non performers, flush most of the roster and start over! If they want back on the team, they can walk on.

Complete failure by TA. Not firing Frost last year and not waiting until buyout drop to hire LL means our top 3-4 candidates fell through. This is a Riley or Callahan level hire (better options said no).
How exactly do you know?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT