ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Leipold

I was on the LL train earlier in the year. His team hasn't been impressive as of late but they've been somewhat bitten by injury bug.

My concern is His age. I think I wouldn't be doing cartwheels. 🤔

Wait just a sec, and hold on. You mean Zach Smith may have lied!?!?!?
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N
I will be disappointed as I see him as a second tier candidate.

At the same time, I will be open minded toward him being able to take the next step in his head coaching career with a blue blood program that has better facilities, fan support, NIL potential, etc than he has ever dreamed of in his former programs

Honestly, I'll give the new guy a chance whoever he is. But I'm also not doing any cartwheels as I've said before for any new guy either until I see results on the field no matter who he is. So I've beome a "show me the wins" fan.

If hes hired, i am fully expecting recruiting classes ranked over 50 annually, low level asst coaches brought with him, and lots of 5-6 win seasons. The talent on ku’s team that got him to 6 wins was brought in by les miles. Oh, and hes lost 5 of his last 6 topped off by his blowout loss yesterday.

I will be disappointed as I see him as a second tier candidate.

At the same time, I will be open minded toward him being able to take the next step in his head coaching career with a blue blood program that has better facilities, fan support, NIL potential, etc than he has ever dreamed of in his former programs
Blue Blood programs don’t have 6 losing seasons in a row

Frankly, NU is just not desirable for a lot of coaches. LL will probably be good, he took the worst team in P5 to bowl level in year 2.

I thought Frost was a homerun at the time so I won’t judge. But I will after year 2.

I have made peace with the fact that we were only a “blue blood” because a legendary coach happened to be from Nebraska. It was pure luck.

What if Trev announces a week from today that Lance Leipold is the 34th Head Coach at Nebraska..

How disappointed would you be in the hire?

Heard there is some smoke with this.
Leipold would be a good hire in my opinion, not the flash hire but a solid football coach that has experience at different levels.

Reactions: AVeritas and WHCSC
This is why I would be excited about the hire; Sipple was saying when he would interview at UNO and then in Lincoln as an assistant he would always walk away in amazement because LL would have follow-up questions that always pertained to the "big picture" of the topic. LL always wanted to see the big picture and understand what makes everything tick—always wanting to learn more. This is what has been lacking in Lincoln for decades. Your beliefs, culture, and philosophies translate from level to level when you see the whole picture. LL sees the whole picture.

When you look at his track record his teams have been fundamentally sound and the players have been developed. His teams have All-Conference players on them, these were not inherited players but developed players. There is undeveloped talent on this team and they will flourish under his leadership. As far as his age, it is a non-issue. Very few coaches retire in their 60's, they generally go into their seventies.

LL knows B1G football, has coached in it, and has recruited in it. This would be a solid hire.

Agree.
Honestly, I'll give the new guy a chance whoever he is. But I'm also not doing any cartwheels as I've said before for any new guy either until I see results on the field no matter who he is. So I've beome a "show me the wins" fan.
Agree. I felt a few years ago that Frost was the right guy at the right time and look what happened. Same with Fred and the hoops program. There are no sure things. Show me ... is right.

Reactions: WHCSC
Not at all as long as some very good assistants are hired.

I repeat, as I have said in other threads, it is not going to be Leipold.
OK, you obviously have inside information so be a good Nebraska fan and tell us who it's going to be. P.S. I'll hold you to it. ;)

Not at all as long as some very good assistants are hired.
IF, IF it’s LL I would expect he would be brings in the majority of his staff at KU..

I’m preparing myself incase Trev doesn’t get that hire the majority of us would be happy about..

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
My guess as of right now Alberts signs Joseph to a small contract based some larger monetary rewards and based on certain metrics and Joseph will be able to bring in some new coaches he likes. JMO
Mickey is getting the job.. let’s get that notion out of everyone’s head..

"I'll give the new guy a chance" is how I talked myself into hoping that Riley would work out even though we all knew it was a pretty underwhelming hire. I would be very underwhelmed with Leipold.

Reactions: HuskerJag and WHCSC
Who will it be?
A CEO-type coach. A Matt Rhule, a Bill O’Brien, a Nick Saban, a Jim Harbaugh, a Dabo Swinney, an elite manager who can manage 30-40 things simultaneously all at once. You have to be able to do that now in the NIL & Transfer Portal era. The head coaching job at Nebraska will no longer work with a coordinator-type coach anymore. We’re in the Big 10, not the Big 12.

Alberts has specified numerous times, if you catch his drifts in his press conferences, he wants a CEO guy who oversees and develops coordinators, coaches, who develops players and especially the trenches, a guy who grinds, who innovates – not only recruits, or specializes only in defense, or only in offense. This is why he said it’s not going to be flashy-splash hire. He is hunting for a CEO grinder, a guy who works 100 hours per week. The next guy is not a guy all Nebraskans will embrace at first. Alberts tried mentoring Frost into a CEO, and it didn’t work because Frost (1) wasn’t ready for the role or for the Big 10 and (2) had to abandon his Oregon/UCF identities and philosophies because he figured out in Year 3 that the Big 10 “wouldn’t adjust” to his system.

Make no mistake about it – Leipold is a still budding CEO. But I don’t think there’s mutual interest between him and Alberts. The next coach will 100% have to be close to Alberts because he wants alignment top-to-bottom in the football offices. We haven’t had that since TO retired – just a hunch of mooching internally. Shame on all those people who have mooched, and now Alberts has to essentially clean a lot of it up.

Last edited:
Mickey is getting the job.. let’s get that notion out of everyone’s head..
The mystery is we may never know how many coaches have or will turn down the Nebraska job and this may force Alberts hand to turn to Joseph, we shall soon see. If the head coaching list dwindles to some average coaches who want the job I doubt Alberts settles for some guy just becoming a seat warmer for the next dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT