ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Leipold

Frankly, NU is just not desirable for a lot of coaches. LL will probably be good, he took the worst team in P5 to bowl level in year 2.

I thought Frost was a homerun at the time so I won’t judge. But I will after year 2.

I have made peace with the fact that we were only a “blue blood” because a legendary coach happened to be from Nebraska. It was pure luck.
Remember the early 80's and people thinking that Nebraska couldn't win the big games.

Chadwell likely is going to have his 3rd straight 11 win season this year. Has it all been with one QB? He seems to have built something that is lasting more than just having one great year
No Power5 experience would take longer than you think for success in the B1g.

What if Trev announces a week from today that Lance Leipold is the 34th Head Coach at Nebraska..

How disappointed would you be in the hire?

Heard there is some smoke with this.
disgusted colin farrell GIF

Reactions: scarletred
I will be disappointed as I see him as a second tier candidate.

At the same time, I will be open minded toward him being able to take the next step in his head coaching career with a blue blood program that has better facilities, fan support, NIL potential, etc than he has ever dreamed of in his former programs
Sounds an awful lot like the justification we used for hiring Riley😒

Sounds an awful lot like the justification we used for hiring Riley😒
I don’t see the parallels myself between him and Riley. I think Leipold could give us Pelini type of results 8-4 to 9-3 consistently. Don’t believe we would ever get over the hump though

Reactions: trwebe
Tier 2 hire.

Would be better than a lot of the candidates some people obsess over, but Klieman would be much better

Reactions: BleedRed78
I mean they got 3 sell outs
That’s about what we’d get with him as HC next year too.

People forget college football is a business. LL would bring zero buzz to 50% of Nebraska footballs cliental. You’d lose a lot of revenue due to that.

And it makes my head scratch when people point to the job he’s doing at KU. Kansas is in 8th place out 10 in conference. 2 of his 3 conference wins are against 9 & 10. They didn’t have some sort of miracle year 8-4 or 9-3 kind of year. They beat bad schools. If that’s the dream we have promised, I guess it’s an improvement but it’s depressing. And he can’t recruit.

He’d really need to be wiling to work with new people at Nebraska on the coaching staff. Keeping Mickey would be a must. Same probably with Busch. I think LL is a great scheme guy but he’s a poor man’s coach in talent and that shows when your playing good teams. He needs to learn how to bring in talent. It’s not DIII.

And if we want to really burn it all down. LL is the hire cause he will suck for a while. We will see irrelevance at a new height

I’ll preface by saying I would absolutely support Leipold if he was our coach. I wish I knew who Alberts and CSA have narrowed the job down to, but I don’t know because he, Doug Ewald and CSA have everybody completely spinning. They are putting on a clinic in hyper-media era.

What I do know is that anything short of a CEO I don’t think Alberts would tolerate or hire. He has also eliminated a lot of names just with his discourse in press conferences. Trev wants trench development on both sides of the ball, not just OL. I do think LL is a rising CEO, but he is aging, and I just don’t see him being the CEO Alberts will offer/hire. I also think Alberts is also trying to do all that he can for Mickey to stay on staff.

Please do hold me to it – I’ll explain when we don’t hire him 😉
Trench guy is Rhule. …

Lance would be a really solid hire. The boosters might not be impressed, but they got their way last time around and we all know how that turned out. Given the choice, I think he would take the WI job over Nebraska, but the noise about Leonhard at WI and LL here might be related.
If he would prefer the Wisconsin job over Nebraska then he's a complete dumb ass that we want no part of.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
What if Trev announces a week from today that Lance Leipold is the 34th Head Coach at Nebraska..

How disappointed would you be in the hire?

Heard there is some smoke with this.
I wouldn't be disappointed at all, and in fact, I think he fits the culture of Nebraska better than any of the other candidates mentioned.

If hes hired, i am fully expecting recruiting classes ranked over 50 annually, low level asst coaches brought with him, and lots of 5-6 win seasons. The talent on ku’s team that got him to 6 wins was brought in by les miles. Oh, and hes lost 5 of his last 6 topped off by his blowout loss yesterday.
There's zero basis for this.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all, and in fact, I think he fits the culture of Nebraska better than any of the other candidates mentioned.
Weird hearing this from someone that bitched about one thing or another with something to do with Husker football for quit sometime..

Reactions: headcard
"I'll give the new guy a chance" is how I talked myself into hoping that Riley would work out even though we all knew it was a pretty underwhelming hire. I would be very underwhelmed with Leipold.
Don't even think it's comparable. Riley was a pushover coming in. Leipold is no pushover.

He won't have those guys at Nebraska either. But he still a wide talent gap between his offense at Bama and everybody they have faced so far. Loads of mistakes and penalties have kept the games close though.
Not really. There's better receiver corps all throughout the SEC.

Complete failure by TA. Not firing Frost last year and not waiting until buyout drop to hire LL means our top 3-4 candidates fell through. This is a Riley or Callahan level hire (better options said no).
Nope, and we could do a lot worse. Monken, Shaw, and a washed up Patterson were names popping up as possible candidates. I'd gladly take Leipold over any of those.

That’s about what we’d get with him as HC next year too.

People forget college football is a business. LL would bring zero buzz to 50% of Nebraska footballs cliental. You’d lose a lot of revenue due to that.

And it makes my head scratch when people point to the job he’s doing at KU. Kansas is in 8th place out 10 in conference. 2 of his 3 conference wins are against 9 & 10. They didn’t have some sort of miracle year 8-4 or 9-3 kind of year. They beat bad schools. If that’s the dream we have promised, I guess it’s an improvement but it’s depressing. And he can’t recruit.

He’d really need to be wiling to work with new people at Nebraska on the coaching staff. Keeping Mickey would be a must. Same probably with Busch. I think LL is a great scheme guy but he’s a poor man’s coach in talent and that shows when your playing good teams. He needs to learn how to bring in talent. It’s not DIII.

And if we want to really burn it all down. LL is the hire cause he will suck for a while. We will see irrelevance at a new height
Completely baseless, everything you said.

Trench guy is Rhule. …
Rhule definitely has history with the trenches. DL early in career, OL later in career. You can’t turn around two D1 programs without being more physical than your opponents up front. If we don’t figure the trenches out soon and develop an identity, we’ll keep having losing seasons and booster money will slowly pull away. This is why Rhule is one of my top choices. So are Fickell and Klieman because of similar reasons.

Weird hearing this from someone that bitched about one thing or another with something to do with Husker football for quit sometime..
And I was right about that, and I'm right about this. Leipold fits this program, and I'd much rather have him over a guy like Rhule.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
Did LL have the same QB for his six titles at Whitewater? Bottom line, LL is a winner.
The qb's he's developed at Kansas, the running backs he brought in and developed at Buffalo, there's more than enough evidence to suggest he knows what the hell he's doing on offense regardless of recruiting rankings. Open up the checkbook for a defensive coordinator and I'd be excited and supportive 100%.

Did LL have the same QB for his six titles at Whitewater? Bottom line, LL is a winner.
true, but I wouldn't brag too much on his D3 Championships. the best case for Leipold is he turns around places that historically are very bad, which is arguably a greater task than what he would need to accomplish here and thus speaks to possibly being able to win quickly.

before Leipold, Buffalo only had 3 winning seasons this century. I don't think I have to explain Kansas, they have been a total doormat sans the brief Mangino period.

contrast that with Rhule. He's credited with "turning around Temple" when Temple had 9 win, bowl game attending seasons under the two coaches that preceded him. what he did at Baylor has been a contentious topic, but the fact of the matter is his Baylor stint is book-ended by coaches that did better than he did, which speaks to the fact that being able to comprise your roster of 80% Texas talent in your back yard makes it more likely you'll string together some nice wins.

Reactions: GILL T
true, but I wouldn't brag too much on his D3 Championships. the best case for Leipold is he turns around places that historically are very bad, which is arguably a greater task than what he would need to accomplish here and thus speaks to possibly being able to win quickly.

before Leipold, Buffalo only had 3 winning seasons this century. I don't think I have to explain Kansas, they have been a total doormat sans the brief Mangino period.

contrast that with Rhule. He's credited with "turning around Temple" when Temple had 9 win, bowl game attending seasons under the two coaches that preceded him. what he did at Baylor has been a contentious topic, but the fact of the matter is his Baylor stint is book-ended by coaches that did better than he did, which speaks to the fact that being able to comprise your roster of 80% Texas talent in your back yard makes it more likely you'll string together some nice wins.
Well, if you had bothered to read the complete thread, I was responding to WHCSC who suggested the success that LL has experienced at Kansas is similar to Chadwell’s success at Coastal Carolina due to his outstanding quarterback. I don’t think this a fair criticism, since LL won championships with more than one quarterback.
Also, a case can be made for LL winning six D3 championships because despite Whitewater being a very good football program and making it to the championship game, it was LL that got them over the hump, SIX times.
Bottom line, LL is a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT