ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Frost is the bigger gamble.

This is false. Same thing was said when Pelini took over and people saying it would take years to turn the team, and especially the defense around. His first year he posted a 9-4 record and the next year we had the very best defense in the nation. Things can turn around very quickly with good coaching.
Pelini had Callahan's recruits. You know how vaunted his D was when Cally's recruits were gone. I'll give you a hint: WISCONSIN JUST SCORED AGAIN!

• Wow
Reactions: ATX Husker
I guess I'd be curious to know what holes on the roster we would have. I agree this recruiting cycle is not good right now, but this class was always going to be very small which limits what your ranking could possibly be. Outside of some positions like QB, Kicker I'm not sure we have gaping holes.

CB - You'd have Newsome, Clark, Lynum, Joseph, Buford, and whomever we bring in (Not bad at all)
S / All Around - Bretz, Farmer, Pola Gates, Gifford, Wright, Sanford (Decent Safety Group)
LB - Gbayor, Ho'Ohuli, Reimer, Kpai, Heinrich, Tannor, Pheldarius, Butler, Nelson (Pretty good group)
DL - Weaver, Newsome, Buckley, Polar Bear, Feist, Riley, Damion if not NFL, Black, Thomas, Rogers, Robison (Real good group)

OL - Jurgens, Piper, Benhardt, Lutovsky, Nouli, Teddy, Corc. Banks, Hixson, Conn (Size and talent is there, maybe just a new coach)
QB - Need a Portal Person or start looking into Haarburg and Smothers as Masker is not the answer.
RB - Rahmir, Yant, Ervin, Sevion, New Recruit (Need some coaching, but a serviceable unti)
TE - Fidone, Boerkircher, Carnie, Vokolek, Hickman, Chancellor, Allen if not pro (Damn good group)
WR - Brown, Manning, Neville, Grimes, Betts, Belt, Hardy, Liewer, Martin (If you get a QB that can find them, good group).

A lot of those guys are young as well, so I guess I just don't see those gaping holes you speak of. Looks like a pretty good group that just needs some coaching, mainly on the Offensive End.
There's some talent there, sure. A lot of unproven talent and I don't know if any of them are the difference makers we need, but I'll agree there's some talent. But who's to say they'll want to stick around when Frost shits the bed yet again next year? Delaying the inevitable will only make sure that more of our best talent leaves. Right now the narrative around the country is we have coaching issues. Have another year where we have a losing season with an easy schedule and the narrative could easily flip to the program has no talent and is essentially dead. Good luck attracting a quality coach under that narrative.

Pelini had Callahan's recruits. You know how vaunted his D was when Cally's recruits were gone. I'll give you a hint: WISCONSIN JUST SCORED AGAIN!
And Callahan's best defensive players were Pelini recruits. What's the point of this post?

I'm torn on Emory. Not sure he is a winner and have no idea on Arkansas backup. I'd have to defer to you or someone who has watched him. YOu never know though. There might be a stud from a lower conference that wants to come to the big boy level.
He's good, real good. He'd be my #1 choice, but he's also the least likely to leave.

since we are in the B1G with big paydays.. we are idiots for paying some guy 5 million a year.. the way you are supposed to do it in the B1G is to spend just enough to be barely competitive, and collect your league check every month.. football is not important, academics are.. mega grant money.. nobody cares about the playoff, just hire any bozo to coach for 1 mil or less and keep your savings account growing.

since we are in the B1G with big paydays.. we are idiots for paying some guy 5 million a year.. the way you are supposed to do it in the B1G is to spend just enough to be barely competitive, and collect your league check every month.. football is not important, academics are.. mega grant money.. nobody cares about the playoff, just hire any bozo to coach for 1 mil or less and keep your savings account growing.
Would get same results we are now but have more bank

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Bo wouldn't recruit. Callahan did. Without Cally's recruits Bo's defense sucked.
If Callahan didn't have Bo's recruits Carriker and Moore in 2006, the defense would have collapsed that year and he would have been fired a year earlier. Bo's recruiting was a hell of a lot better than Riley or Frost's. I'd put it about on par with Callahan. Bo's defense dropped off because he lost Sanders and Carl and he was losing his edge defensively was more of a factor than recruiting.

If Callahan didn't have Bo's recruits Carriker and Moore in 2006, the defense would have collapsed that year and he would have been fired a year earlier. Bo's recruiting was a hell of a lot better than Riley or Frost's. I'd put it about on par with Callahan. Bo's defense dropped off because he lost Sanders and Carl and he was losing his edge defensively was more of a factor than recruiting.
What?

Do we really need to go through this again? Bo recruited David, Abdullah, Gregory, Burkhead, Jean-Baptiste, Kalu, Bell, Westercamp, Reilly, Dennard, Pierson-El, Tmagic, Armstrong, Carter, Valentine, Collins, Steinkuhler, Janovich, Gates, Sirles, and Long. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but all of these guys were better than just about any recruit Riley or Frost ever recruited. If you take Suh out, Callahan did not recruit better than this.

Do we really need to go through this again? Bo recruited David, Abdullah, Gregory, Burkhead, Jean-Baptiste, Kalu, Bell, Westercamp, Reilly, Dennard, Pierson-El, Tmagic, Armstrong, Carter, Valentine, Collins, Steinkuhler, Janovich, Gates, Sirles, and Long. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but all of these guys were better than just about any recruit Riley or Frost ever recruited. If you take Suh out, Callahan did not recruit better than this.
Go look at Callahan recruits. Suh, Crick, Nicks, helu, prince, hagg, marcel Jones, niles Paul, Maurice purify, zac Bowman, zac Taylor, Steve Octavian, Matt slauson, Phil dill, marlon lucky, Brandon Jackson, joe ganz, Lydon Martha and plenty of other serviceable players but no he didn’t recruit anyone just way more stud pros than anyone.. try again, Callahan brought talent

Go look at Callahan recruits. Suh, Crick, Nicks, helu, prince, hagg, marcel Jones, niles Paul, Maurice purify, zac Bowman, zac Taylor, Steve Octavian, Matt slauson, Phil dill, marlon lucky, Brandon Jackson, joe ganz, Lydon Martha and plenty of other serviceable players but no he didn’t recruit anyone just way more stud pros than anyone.. try again, Callahan brought talent
Thank you. And Callahan did it in a shorter time period.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You guys are terrible at being able to stay on topic.

Keeping Frost would lead Nebraska to become Kansas.
Gee that sounds a bunch different than what you were spewing 2 weeks ago.... you're still goofier than a pet coon. Nebraska will never become Kansas in football. Never.

I never said he didn't. If you notice, I listed more players than you did and I know I was missing a few. Also, Bo did a great job of keeping players around and having them contribute for multiple years instead of only one year. If you ask me, their recruiting was pretty much on the same level but Bo was able to get more wins out of it than Callahan did.
They both easily outclassed Riley and Frost in terms of recruiting.

You guys are terrible at being able to stay on topic.

Keeping Frost would lead Nebraska to become Kansas.
But you want the coach from Kansas in Leaping Lance Liepold.

So..., you would actually want us to become Kansas. Or Kansas State, cuz you really like that Chris Klieman guy as well.

Do you live in Salina, Wichita, or Topeka per chance?

Reactions: WHCSC
I agree that keeping him is the bigger gamble, but I think its the bigger gamble bc we would be betting that a coach that has gotten outcoached nearly every week for the past four seasons would suddenly no longer be outcoached on a weekly basis. And that is a stupid bet to make.

But you want the coach from Kansas in Leaping Lance Liepold.

So..., you would actually want us to become Kansas. Or Kansas State, cuz you really like that Chris Klieman guy as well.

Do you live in Salina, Wichita, or Topeka per chance?

Kansas was Kansas long before Leipold was hired there. Give him 4 years and I'd bet he has Kansas to a bowl game, unlike Frost.

Um. No. Suh was a Callahan guy. Crick and multiple other future NFL DBs were Callahan recruits. Pelini did land David and a couple of other NFL guys. Not enough of them.
My mistake, should have said Callahan's best defensive players were Solich recruits, which is true. Carriker and Moore made that 2006 defense work. Had a lot of help from the Bullocks and Ruud brothers among others before that. So what if Suh and Crick were among Bo's best defensive players? He recruited plenty of other good defensive players, the main problem was the coaching dropped off in the later years.

Is 5 million even in the top 25 anymore? Reeling in a top tier coach is probably going to take at least 8 million this time. Even a second or third tier choice will probably end up making more than Frost.

Is 5 million even in the top 25 anymore? Reeling in a top tier coach is probably going to take at least 8 million this time. Even a second or third tier choice will probably end up making more than Frost.
Good call.

Right on the cutoff line.

Better be ready to hire at $8M or more like you are saying. If you are going to fire and replace for the 5th time in 18 years, it better be right this time.

By the way, where are the "open up the checkbook" guys? They always made me laugh.

Good call.

Right on the cutoff line.

Better be ready to hire at $8M or more like you are saying. If you are going to fire and replace for the 5th time in 18 years, it better be right this time.

By the way, where are the "open up the checkbook" guys? They always made me laugh.

PAY TO THE ORDER OF _________________________________

Trev Alberts

Fixed it for you

PAY TO THE ORDER OF _________________________________

Trev Alberts

Fixed it for you
And our boosters have done such a great job of moving coaches and ADs in and out over the last 20 years.

Why shouldn't they keep making the decisions for a rabid fan base of 5 million people?

Maybe time for a state to vote for a coach. Hell, I've heard of a million tons dumber ideas.

You're sadly mistaken. Keeping Frost another year is a very dangerous decision that could have disastrous consequences for this program for years. We wouldn't just have holes on our roster, we'd have a giant gaping crater in our roster that will be impossible to fill with transfer portal players. And that's assuming the next head coach could even utilize the transfer portal properly. This is not a given, especially when we're almost certainly not getting our first coaching choice if they know they have no current talent on the roster.
So you're good firing Frost nowing that the guy we do hire will be the 2nd choice at best?

Lofl @ dangerous gamble. Firing Frost is a complete reset either way. I'm not against firing Frost.
Before Nick Saban had success at Alabama, he was an average coach at Michigan State. There is no way of knowing if the next hire will be a Nick Saban. Bob Stoops, or Mike Riley.

So you're good firing Frost nowing that the guy we do hire will be the 2nd choice at best?
I didn't say that exactly. I said that scenario is much more likely if we wait another year rather than pull the plug now. We have tangible talent now and that's recognized country-wide. Our defense is recognized to be coming around. Heck I think most Big 10 coaches would take AM if they could because they think they can do something with him that we couldn't. But wait another year and have yet another horrible year and that narrative can change in a hurry. Good luck getting your top coaching choice when the narrative is that your program has no talent and is practically dead.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
I didn't say that exactly. I said that scenario is much more likely if we wait another year rather than pull the plug now. We have tangible talent now and that's recognized country-wide. Our defense is recognized to be coming around. Heck I think most Big 10 coaches would take AM if they could because they think they can do something with him that we couldn't. But wait another year and have yet another horrible year and that narrative can change in a hurry. Good luck getting your top coaching choice when the narrative is that your program has no talent and is practically dead.

Let me get this straight.

You really 100% believe a new coaching staff would come in next year and win the B10 West with the current players we have on hand?

ANY coaching staff we hire would be so much better that we'd start winning because Frost & Co are that bad?

THIS is THE year if you want to roll in and be the Nebraska coach? You miss THIS year, and somehow next year is complete shit?

You really 100% believe a new coaching staff would come in next year and win the B10 West with the current players we have on hand?

ANY coaching staff we hire would be so much better that we'd start winning because Frost & Co are that bad?

THIS is THE year if you want to roll in and be the Nebraska coach? You miss THIS year, and somehow next year is complete shit?

A good hire can turn the roster around to a bowl game in 1 year. It's not a depleted roster (yet). But if you wait another year, with the incoming class and a another class that will be trash since recruits will not commit to a staff on the verge of getting fired, would lead to the roster having a lot of holes that need to get fixed.

Where did I say any of that? But yes, I think it's certainly possible with a better coaching staff, we could win the Big 10 West next year. I also never said I'd accept any coaching staff, though I think it would be very low odds that the next coaching hire would do worse than Frost. Yes, this year is pivotal to go get a coaching hire. I think the environment will be much worse next year. Next time, maybe you can debate my actual arguments instead of making up a bunch of strawmen arguments noone believes?

Where did I say any of that? But yes, I think it's certainly possible with a better coaching staff, we could win the Big 10 West next year. I also never said I'd accept any coaching staff, though I think it would be very low odds that the next coaching hire would do worse than Frost. Yes, this year is pivotal to go get a coaching hire. I think the environment will be much worse next year. Next time, maybe you can debate my actual arguments instead of making up a bunch of strawmen arguments noone believes?

Strawmen. You cant' even answer your own shitshow.

Miami, USC, LSU, and likely Florida State will be coach hunting this year, and who knows who else. But you think the waters will be much more deeper next year. RollingLaugh

Is there anything you know about college football at all?

Good luck getting a gamer that can roll in and turn a 4 to 5 win team into a 9 or 10 win team or more next year in the B10 with an entirely new staff with the talent and players we have on board.

Miami, USC, LSU, and likely Florida State will be coach hunting this year, and who knows who else. But you think the waters will be much more deeper next year. RollingLaugh

Good luck getting a gamer that can roll in and turn a 4 to 5 win team into a 9 or 10 win team or more next year in the B10 with an entirely new staff with the talent and players we have on board.
No, you make up a bunch of shit that isn't even close to what I say. That's the definition of a strawman. Trying to attack my real argument is much harder, isn't it.

USC and LSU fired their coaches prematurely and most coaches have the common sense to know those programs have stupidly unrealistic expectations. There's a lot less interest in those jobs than you'd think. Miami and Florida St. are in the same boat we're in and are pretty much in dumpster fire mode. Honestly not that worried about competition from them, especially if we're not stupid and try to pay below market value for a coach.

Have you looked at our schedule next year? It's a joke. A halfway competent coach could win 9 or 10 games next year. We have a lot more talent than 4 or 5 wins.

No, you make up a bunch of shit that isn't even close to what I say. That's the definition of a strawman. Trying to attack my real argument is much harder, isn't it.

USC and LSU fired their coaches prematurely and most coaches have the common sense to know those programs have stupidly unrealistic expectations. There's a lot less interest in those jobs than you'd think. Miami and Florida St. are in the same boat we're in and are pretty much in dumpster fire mode. Honestly not that worried about competition from them, especially if we're not stupid and try to pay below market value for a coach.

Have you looked at our schedule next year? It's a joke. A halfway competent coach could win 9 or 10 games next year. We have a lot more talent than 4 or 5 wins.
Man is this a huge hole you are digging.

Lets say we fire Frost like you want, you are setting the Over/Under on Wins for the next guy at 9/10 games.

I'll take the Unders for $5K Alex.

Man is this a huge hole you are digging.

Lets say we fire Frost like you want, you are setting the Over/Under on Wins for the next guy at 9/10 games.

I'll take the Unders for $5K Alex.
Yes, 9 wins should be minimum expectations for any coach at Nebraska.

Scott Frost should be fired. He is hurting the program. No good recruit will play for Scott Frost. Recruits want to win and go to bowl games and that will not happen with Scott Frost as coach. Next to go is our sell out streak because of a horrible coach who has no idea how to coach in games or make adjustments or recruit. SMU who played tonight is a better football team than Nebraska. They are a ranked team. We are no where close to being a ranked team.

Disagree. But then again I don't care if he is fired or retained.

Mel Tucker did a great job using the portal. But maybe he is the only coach that knows how to.

Oh no...frost got lucky and won....the horror.

Well yeah dangerous cuz he is simply not a good coach that will garner long term success. He will only delay the next coach coming in and gum up the works.

What of our next great coach is available this yr...amd Frost gets retained and we lose out on him?

Remember had ANY of the three coaches OSU fired stayed even one season longer...they would have missed out on hiring Bob Stoops....

We can get a gamer.

he needs to fix qb and kicker quick...
but yeah he will be here next year..
frost checks the top brasses boxes

1. pass happy
2. NU player
3. doesn't sound like the missing link (bo)
4. doesn't get blown out alot.
5. doesn't recruit criminals
6. the players like him
7. he's shown ability to make corrections, like the snaps that used to sail over martinez's head

we don't make the decisions on the message board...this is done elsewhere.
What exactly makes him pass happy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT