ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Frost is the bigger gamble.

Our recruiting is bottoming out. Our coaches can't overcome our abysmal record and performance in a recruit's living rooms. These results have given opposing teams recruiting layups.

On top of that, we have a lot of talent that could start on quality programs. If we think there isn't going to be an exodus of transfers...this time with players we can't argue aren't starter quality, we are lying to ourselves.

It is becoming clear why no Blue Blood program keeps a coach for 3 losing seasons let alone more. It can cause serious long term damage and we can start to see signs of that.

At this point, it is clear that hiring a new coach to stave off the transfers and having a clean bill for recruiting is a far safer bet for the future of the program.

Keeping Frost is a bigger gamble. A very dangerous gamble.
And aside from recruiting, there's the fan base to worry about. Are people gonna fill the stadium when the program has spent several years in the toilet, and when the people running it won't take the most obvious step to address the problem?

If a program keeps a guy after FOUR losing seasons, I have to wonder whether it's really trying. People might think that Fro$t remains the coach because we can't afford his buyout and not because he's good at his job.

Couldn't be an easier decision if Frost has yet another losing season. This is the most talent a Frost team is ever going to have. If he can't pull off a .500 season with that, I expect Trev will be packing Frost’s bags for him.
Really where is the talent? RB=no WR=nope OL=hell no. How is he expected to run an offense with no talent? Recruiting is 100% on Frost but there isn’t much talent on this team.
we don't get blown out as much
we don’t quit

Reactions: redwine65
And aside from recruiting, there's the fan base to worry about. Are people gonna fill the stadium when the program has spent several years in the toilet, and when the people running it won't take the most obvious step to address the problem?

If a program keeps a guy after FOUR losing seasons, I have to wonder whether it's really trying. People might think that Fro$t remains the coach because we can't afford his buyout and not because he's good at his job.
NU has been in the toilet for 20 years and they keep coming

Recruits have no interest in playing for Frost. Frost just spams out offers and takes whatever nibbles at the line.

Frost is statistically the worst head coach at the P5 level. You fire his ass after Iowa to limit the long-term damage. Players are going to trasnfer out, the worst recruiting class in school history will sign in December, and then you go into the off-season with recruits knowng the chances of Frost still being the head coach are little to non and that makes it easy as hell for other schools to recruit against Frost.

Media folks who say it's still a two year conversation lack the balls to admit Frost is not getting the job done in the wins and losses column and it's time to fire him and bring in someone that can get the job done - WIN.

I see what frost is doing with the offense, and with the right folks making no mistakes.
it's very impressive when it gets rolling.

it's worth more time to see if it eventually works, and piles up w's

Reactions: Sinomatic
I see what frost is doing with the offense, and with the right folks making no mistakes.

It's been 4 years. No Blue Bloods gives a coach 1 losing season, let alone 4. It's time. It's what's best for everyone involved .

We are on the verge of a horrid recruiting class and transfers. The longer we wait the worse it will get.

We are dangerously close to leaving the next coach a worse situation than Frost inherited.

he needs to fix qb and kicker quick...
but yeah he will be here next year..
frost checks the top brasses boxes

1. pass happy
2. NU player
3. doesn't sound like the missing link (bo)
4. doesn't get blown out alot.
5. doesn't recruit criminals
6. the players like him
7. he's shown ability to make corrections, like the snaps that used to sail over martinez's head

we don't make the decisions on the message board...this is done elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
Really where is the talent? RB=no WR=nope OL=hell no. How is he expected to run an offense with no talent? Recruiting is 100% on Frost but there isn’t much talent on this team.

we don’t quit
OL is completely a coaching issue. We've consistently been at the top of the recruiting rankings in the Big 10 at that position. We also have plenty of talent at the WR position. We have the #1 rated juco recruit, an All-American from a lower division, a high 4 star in Betts and good depth behind those guys. Biggest problem with the receiver group is them not being held accountable to know their plays which I see no problem with the next staff being able to handle. QB and RB are the major talent issues I see, but again what would those guys look like with proper coaching? These are also probably the easiest positions to find a decent player in the portal who's upset with his current situation. A good coach should have no problem working with the talent we have, and it's also easier than ever to plug any talent gaps due to the lax transfer portal rules.

It's been 4 years. No Blue Bloods gives a coach 1 losing season, let alone 4. It's time. It's what's best for everyone involved .

We are on the verge of a horrid recruiting class and transfers. The longer we wait the worse it will get.

We are dangerously close to leaving the next coach a worse situation than Frost inherited.

What could the next guy possibly inherit worse than the previous guy?

Crappy recruiting? Obviously; because the guy before him got fired.

It will be 3 to 4 more years of a 'rebuild' yet again. For the 6th time since TO, and nearing in on 30 years of pure crap. We're already at 22 years since our last conference title, and you're begging for 25+ years to "right the ship".

The only thing we're dangerously close to is never being relevant again in anybody's lifetime over the age of 40.

What could the next guy possibly inherit worse than the previous guy?

Crappy recruiting? Obviously; because the guy before him got fired.

It will be 3 to 4 more years of a 'rebuild' yet again. For the 6th time since TO, and nearing in on 30 years of pure crap. We're already at 22 years since our last conference title, and you're begging for 25+ years to "right the ship".

The only thing we're dangerously close to is never being relevant again in anybody's lifetime over the age of 40.

We are dead last in the Big Ten recruiting wise. We don't beat the teams we have out recruited the past 3 years. What happens when they start out recruiting us?

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

Wait. I thought you hated our “left coast pass happy offense”.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We are dead last in the Big Ten recruiting wise. We don't beat the teams we have out recruited the past 3 years. What happens when they start out recruiting us?
Obviously out-recruiting them doesn't work.

Hell, we out-recruited the entire Big 12 North as well for 15 years, and won that conference twice with one under TO and a National Title and his remnants under Solich in 1999 when we were arguably the best team in the country.

Maybe our biggest problem is an overzealous fan base and boosters that really have no clue?

Wait. I thought you hated our “left coast pass happy offense”.
I do....compared to real running football

1st tier power I ... triple option dr. tom
2nd tier wishbone bury switzer
3rd tier left coast with joe montana, craig, rathemen
4th tier martinez and o-line firing on all cylinders
5th tier martinez locked in the pocket because of bad ankle/martinez swing pass to washington (3 yards behind)

1. pass happy
2. NU player
6. the players like him
7. he's shown ability to make corrections, like the snaps that used to sail over martinez's head

Thanks for letting us know.

Reactions: redwine65
This is not true. All the signs are pointing to an incredibly poor recruiting class and anyone who doesn't think there will be some critical transfers are not living in reality.
A class of 13 recruits, that's all we're looking to take!
If we keep Frost and he fails, we will have left the next coach in worse shape than what Frost walked into.
Bullshitz! Bo's classes were getting worse and worse and Riley did Nebraska no favors at all.
To everyone else. We can cover our ears and stamp our feet all day to block out the very real signs that keeping Frost is not going to end well, but that doesn't make the problems go away.

I hear "Well, he needs to change his coaching staff" a lot. What an asinine thing to say. If Frost didn't recognize the issues in the first four years and needs the AD to step in to make changes, then we have a much bigger problem than just switching out assistants.

This isn't 2002 where Solich "only" won 7 games after a national title appearance. This is 4 years of unheard statistically bad performance at a blue blood program.

Please separate your love of Frost as a person and a player from Frost the coach. If we give him more years and he gets 6 wins next year and goes back to losing seasons, we will have destroyed his chance to ever be a HC again.
4 years, come on, its been 20 years of subpar football for Nebraska standards. Solich probably should have been given more time. Callahan may have brought in high ranking players but it stopped there. There was always talk from the team that if you weren't a starter you stood around watching. Yes I know Bo went 9-3. The problem with him, he was a lazy recruiter and liked to get blown out by good teams. His on and off field antics were pure embarrassment. Riley skipped the weight room for ice cream trucks at practice and that explains that.

A class of 13 recruits, that's all we're looking to take!

Bullshitz! Bo's classes were getting worse and worse and Riley did Nebraska no favors at all.

4 years, come on, its been 20 years of subpar football for Nebraska standards. Solich probably should have been given more time. Callahan may have brought in high ranking players but it stopped there. There was always talk from the team that if you weren't a starter you stood around watching. Yes I know Bo went 9-3. The problem with him, he was a lazy recruiter and liked to get blown out by good teams. His on and off field antics were pure embarrassment. Riley skipped the weight room for ice cream trucks at practice and that explains that.

We are dead last in the Big 10 in average star rating. The rating system is flawed but this is unprecedented.

We are on the verge of being out recruited by teams we heavily out recruited. Teams we couldn't beat. How do you think this is going to end?

We are dead last in the Big 10 in average star rating. The rating system is flawed but this is unprecedented.

We are on the verge of being out recruited by teams we heavily out recruited. Teams we couldn't beat. How do you think this is going to end?
The recruiting is going badly as should be expected for a team with 4 losing seasons in a row but the other factor is the youth of our roster. We could probably skip this class and other than QB, OT and maybe DB, not miss a beat. You always want to max out if you can, but the transfer portal is our new best friend IMO. HAVE to land a stud QB and I'm not sure the one we have committed is that guy.

On the average star ranking, that is a crap shoot this year due to COVID. SOME recruits never even played last year let alone have an analyst get to their games. Spotty video availability and extremely varied camp attendance have made the "star rankings" of somewhat limited value this year. All of these kids are going to be re-evaluated at the end of their high school senior seasons so I wouldn't put too much stock just yet in star rankings. We've got some very talented kids committed. Not sorry that we lost that offensive lineman off our list. If he was an in state kid he would have been a walk on.

The recruiting is going badly as should be expected for a team with 4 losing seasons in a row but the other factor is the youth of our roster. We could probably skip this class and other than QB, OT and maybe DB, not miss a beat. You always want to max out if you can, but the transfer portal is our new best friend IMO. HAVE to land a stud QB and I'm not sure the one we have committed is that guy.
Thank you for being realistic. But this is too optimistic.

In 2017 our average star rating was 3.3. This goes against the argument that it was a throwaway year. Sure some recruits didn't pan out and our pattern of having a lot leave the program took care of a lot too.

But right now we are at 2.8 and dead last in the Big Ten in average star rating.

The last time we finished that low, average star rating wise, was 2014, when Reilly came in after Bo was fired. That was Reilly coming in to save a class. This is Frost's 4th year.

Yes, the Star rating system is a crap shoot...for individual talent. When you look at the team level, you start to see a correlation between it and on-field success. One of the largest outliers the last 4 years is our average star rating and LACK of success. The recruiting ratings have improved a lot since when I first started coming here in 2002.

Finally, given the likely end to the season, we may not have seen the end of decommits and pursuit of plan C and D recruits.

This class is, average star rating, the same as Riley's transition class, and it could get worse.

Meanwhile, other schools, schools that we recruited circles around...are starting to out recruit us. How do we think this will translate to on-field performance?

So people can call me crazy and try to belittle what I say...but I am not the one who is delusional nor fails to look at the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

Maybe we should just wait and see where the class stands when they actually sign. Funny that you diss the rating system, but then judge our standing based on those ratings. Seems you might be winging it from an emotional standpoint. So we're getting beat in star rankings by those teams that beat us on the field when we beat them in star rankings? Hmmm

It just isn't. It's one more recruiting. A quality hire can fix that through the transfer portal.

Too much drama.

Its just a dumb idea to keep SF for another year cuz it creates larger issues for a new coach.
Coaches that start their careers at the P5 lvl with 4 straight losing seasons and then all of a sudden the light turns on and they become really good to great coaches. It just doesnt happen.

Why delay a year when you dont need to? What kind of quality coaches will come knowing the coach is on the hottest of seats? Its just dumb to keep him another year.
And here is another reason not to keep him, lets say Frost trips and gets lucky and happens wo win enough games to keep him after next year? That just creates even more problems, cuz anyone with half a brain knows SF will NEVER become a really good coach at the P5 level, way too many markers and decisions that he has already made and results prove this out.

New coach gets the benefit of an easier schedule next year gives them confidence, you dont put the coach now two recruiting classes behind.

Just makes ZERO sense to retain SF.
Now you may just want to be contrary, but I wouldnt want to die on that hill, your opinion is just really...short sighted..sorry.

Maybe we should just wait and see where the class stands when they actually sign. Funny that you diss the rating system, but then judge our standing based on those ratings. Seems you might be winging it from an emotional standpoint. So we're getting beat in star rankings by those teams that beat us on the field when we beat them in star rankings? Hmmm
You're reaching, I was acknowledging what another poster said. I also acknowledged that the individual ratings can be hit or miss but there is a correlation between team average star rating and on field results.

But this is all asinine at this point in year 4.

Its just a dumb idea to keep SF for another year cuz it creates larger issues for a new coach.
Coaches that start their careers at the P5 lvl with 4 straight losing seasons and then all of a sudden the light turns on and they become really good to great coaches. It just doesnt happen.

Why delay a year when you dont need to? What kind of quality coaches will come knowing the coach is on the hottest of seats? Its just dumb to keep him another year.
And here is another reason not to keep him, lets say Frost trips and gets lucky and happens wo win enough games to keep him after next year? That just creates even more problems, cuz anyone with half a brain knows SF will NEVER become a really good coach at the P5 level, way too many markers and decisions that he has already made and results prove this out.

New coach gets the benefit of an easier schedule next year gives them confidence, you dont put the coach now two recruiting classes behind.

Now you may just want to be contrary, but I wouldnt want to die on that hill, your opinion is just really...short sighted..sorry.
Yeah the mentality of we need to delay the inevitable for another year is just downright dumb. I will say this, Frost did do a decent job of recruiting in his first couple classes and we do have enough talent now to win some games. But another year of Frost where we have a crappy freshman class and once again lose in the transfer portal, the talent may very well run completely dry by next year. And it's going to be a hell of a lot harder getting a quality coach to come in when they know there's no talent on the roster. This is a pivotal moment in this program and a foolish decision like delaying the inevitable for another year could easily have consequences that last 4 or 5 years or even longer.

Why make things harder on ourselves when things are already hard enough? Why not give the next coach some talent to work with and a headstart in rebuilding instead of waiting for everything to crumble to dust first? Incompetent, downright asinine administrative decisions will be the death of Nebraska football. I sure as hell hope that doesn't describe Alberts.

I've not made any arguments for or against firing Frost. I don't think keeping him another year is "dangerous"

The proper use of the transfer portal would mitigate whatever holes are left.

I don't care if he is fired or retained. I've been pretty clear about that in multiple posts in this thread.

1. pass happy
2. NU player
6. the players like him

The players love him so much is why we lead the world in transfers out.

The players love him so much is why we lead the world in transfers out.
he could work on playing the #2 qb's more when martinez is off...
but washington type players can hit the road..no problemo

every player going out, is a huge opportunity to bring in a "contributing" player

I've not made any arguments for or against firing Frost. I don't think keeping him another year is "dangerous"

I don't care if he is fired or retained. I've been pretty clear about that in multiple posts in this thread.
Agree and we should go try to get either an OSU QB that transfers, a Bama QB that transfers or hell maybe even OU's third stringer as I don't want Rattler, but I think with a competent QB this thing turns around overnight.

You're sadly mistaken. Keeping Frost another year is a very dangerous decision that could have disastrous consequences for this program for years. We wouldn't just have holes on our roster, we'd have a giant gaping crater in our roster that will be impossible to fill with transfer portal players. And that's assuming the next head coach could even utilize the transfer portal properly. This is not a given, especially when we're almost certainly not getting our first coaching choice if they know they have no current talent on the roster.

Agree and we should go try to get either an OSU QB that transfers, a Bama QB that transfers or hell maybe even OU's third stringer as I don't want Rattler, but I think with a competent QB this thing turns around overnight.
We should try to target Emory Jones of Florida or Arkansas's backup. If we can't get them, there's likely not going to be a transfer anywhere close to the quality of Rattler.

It absolutely is dangerous..lol

If he lucks Into enough wins next yr then we keep him longer.ot is just stupid to keep him too long for the reasons I listed.

Amd u can't rely on the transfer portal as a substitute for recruiting cuz u raally dont know whats coming through or who u can get...

Reactions: oldjar07

Disagree to the extent that if there isnt a quality coach, we dont can him. I dont want to do this again in 3 - 5 years, plus another buyout. If trev doesnt have someone he really likes, you dont get rid of Frost. Make a couple changes and tell him that everything has to look damn good next year or else.

You're sadly mistaken. Keeping Frost another year is a very dangerous decision that could have disastrous consequences for this program for years. We wouldn't just have holes on our roster, we'd have a giant gaping crater in our roster that will be impossible to fill with transfer portal players. And that's assuming the next head coach could even utilize the transfer portal properly. This is not a given, especially when we're almost certainly not getting our first coaching choice if they know they have no current talent on the roster.
I guess I'd be curious to know what holes on the roster we would have. I agree this recruiting cycle is not good right now, but this class was always going to be very small which limits what your ranking could possibly be. Outside of some positions like QB, Kicker I'm not sure we have gaping holes.

CB - You'd have Newsome, Clark, Lynum, Joseph, Buford, and whomever we bring in (Not bad at all)
S / All Around - Bretz, Farmer, Pola Gates, Gifford, Wright, Sanford (Decent Safety Group)
LB - Gbayor, Ho'Ohuli, Reimer, Kpai, Heinrich, Tannor, Pheldarius, Butler, Nelson (Pretty good group)
DL - Weaver, Newsome, Buckley, Polar Bear, Feist, Riley, Damion if not NFL, Black, Thomas, Rogers, Robison (Real good group)

OL - Jurgens, Piper, Benhardt, Lutovsky, Nouli, Teddy, Corc. Banks, Hixson, Conn (Size and talent is there, maybe just a new coach)
QB - Need a Portal Person or start looking into Haarburg and Smothers as Masker is not the answer.
RB - Rahmir, Yant, Ervin, Sevion, New Recruit (Need some coaching, but a serviceable unti)
TE - Fidone, Boerkircher, Carnie, Vokolek, Hickman, Chancellor, Allen if not pro (Damn good group)
WR - Brown, Manning, Neville, Grimes, Betts, Belt, Hardy, Liewer, Martin (If you get a QB that can find them, good group).

A lot of those guys are young as well, so I guess I just don't see those gaping holes you speak of. Looks like a pretty good group that just needs some coaching, mainly on the Offensive End.

Reactions: ATX Husker
We should try to target Emory Jones of Florida or Arkansas's backup. If we can't get them, there's likely not going to be a transfer anywhere close to the quality of Rattler.
I'm torn on Emory. Not sure he is a winner and have no idea on Arkansas backup. I'd have to defer to you or someone who has watched him. YOu never know though. There might be a stud from a lower conference that wants to come to the big boy level.

Disagree to the extent that if there isnt a quality coach, we dont can him. I dont want to do this again in 3 - 5 years, plus another buyout. If trev doesnt have someone he really likes, you dont get rid of Frost. Make a couple changes and tell him that everything has to look damn good next year or else.
You know what? In that case I would rather have Chin as an interim coach for a year as a place holder like what Tosu did with Fickell a few years ago than retain Frost.

With our luck, Frost would trip over himself next year, and luck into enough wins to HAVE to keep him longer which would only delay things even more..no chance I want any part of that.

Now that we are paying the going rate for top 20 coaches salaries, I have little doubt we will have any trouble getting a few guys who would coach for us off any of those top 20 coaches lists that are going around about this time..

The guys we hired previously, since TO, 3 of the 4 were not even on any of those lists.. (I am assuming Bo was on a top 20 new up and Comer lists) when we got him..bit I could be wrong..

Solich wasn't, notr Riley, or Callahan..but then were were paying bargain salaries so it's no wonder other top prospect coaches were not interested in us..

Those times have changed, we pay more now and our expectations have lowered. This is the perfect time for any up and Comer coach to coach at NU and be given enough time to succeed without overly high expectations or not making enough money to make it worth ot to them..
IMHO..

We will be competing with other schools for transfers. The portal can be a fix, it can also be detrimental. I imagine most of the time it is somewhere in between.

Reactions: oldjar07
It absolutely is dangerous..lol

If he lucks Into enough wins next yr then we keep him longer.ot is just stupid to keep him too long for the reasons I listed.

Amd u can't rely on the transfer portal as a substitute for recruiting cuz u raally dont know whats coming through or who u can get...
Disagree. But then again I don't care if he is fired or retained.

Mel Tucker did a great job using the portal. But maybe he is the only coach that knows how to.

Oh no...frost got lucky and won....the horror.

Dangerous...lofl. Such drama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT