ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa our Rival? According to TO, they are not...

Actually Iowa fans bring it up a lot more than Nebraska fans, trying to start a flame war.
Of course they do. Because bragging rights since arriving in the B1G don't exist. This forum is full of threads declaring how the Iowas/Purdues of the world don't belong in the same conversation in regards to football.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Hell yes Iowa is our biggest/only rival in this conference.

It’s the only team that most of our fan base absolutely wants to beat every season.

That’s what has made the last 5 years so hard to take. I don’t see us beating them next year either.

It will always suck to lose to inferior football programs like Iowa. It’s the biggest game of the year for their fans, but I’m sure Iowa players would rather win a division title than beat Nebraska. The biggest motivation for Iowa players in playing Nebraska is the chance to beat a blueblood. KF has a good record against the superior programs in the B1G like PSU, Michigan and Nebraska. BTW, KF is 6 outta 11 against Nebraska, that’s right this season he finally got over the hump.RollingLaugh

I applaud their kicker for being brave enough to come out of the closet on national TV after that FG.

Come to work with me today at the University of Iowa, and you'll see if we're rivals. You all can at least ignore the trolls online. It's a whole other thing in person.

Come to work with me today at the University of Iowa, and you'll see if we're rivals. You all can at least ignore the trolls online. It's a whole other thing in person.
Do you have a strategy? Just say “good game” and move on? My brother in law is in a similar situation and they can be relentless, Iowa fans really want Iowa football to be viewed as equal to or better than Nebraska all time, which is ridiculous. I have many accounts in Iowa and I use the “good game” strategy. I also sneak in, “Iowa has definitely been the better team these past five seasons.” Saying that usually de-escalates the conversation. I only have to be over there 1 or 2 days a week. I don’t know how you guys do it everyday. Good luck.

It will always suck to lose to inferior football programs like Iowa.

Oooh, but the way your team celebrated beating a 1-4 Northwestern team. Seriously?, can you see the real blue bloods like Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, celebrating a win over a team that eventually won only one Big Ten game this season? As for Duncan, Frost was standing there with his mouth wide open and the stadium was completely silent. Duncan had to do something to bring them out of their shock ..

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
It's not a big game to Iowa fans. Then their "media" puts stuff like this out year round.

Rent. Free.

They ought to change their theme music to:

Heroes-Trophy-Iowa-Nebraska.png

Ironically, this thread (along with a few thousand like it on Hawkeyereport) prove the rivalry is real. Ratings were also pretty good considering it was FS1.

Do you have a strategy? Just say “good game” and move on? My brother in law is in a similar situation and they can be relentless, Iowa fans really want Iowa football to be viewed as equal to or better than Nebraska all time, which is ridiculous. I have many accounts in Iowa and I use the “good game” strategy. I also sneak in, “Iowa has definitely been the better team these past five seasons.” Saying that usually de-escalates the conversation. I only have to be over there 1 or 2 days a week. I don’t know how you guys do it everyday. Good luck.

I have family in Des Moines and it's just a constant poke, comparison, etc. Iowa v. Nebraska....always looking for validation. Apparently the results on the field aren't enough.

I will tell them what they want to hear and stick to the facts:
  • The better team won;
  • Yes, it's difficult to lose in such heart-breaking fashion;
  • I can't really say the officials were biased one way or the other (Iowa fans really chirping about the disparity in penalties)
  • I didn't mind Duncan's celebration, and if you say Nebraska was talking the whole game, I have no way of disproving that;
  • We aren't firing Frost anytime soon.
  • We don't want Pelini back.
  • Don't be a Pelini.
  • Hey, how about that volleyball tournament?

I will tell them what they want to hear and stick to the facts:
  • The better team won;
  • Yes, it's difficult to lose in such heart-breaking fashion;
  • I can't really say the officials were biased one way or the other (Iowa fans really chirping about the disparity in penalties)
  • I didn't mind Duncan's celebration, and if you say Nebraska was talking the whole game, I have no way of disproving that;
  • We aren't firing Frost anytime soon.
  • We don't want Pelini back.
  • Don't be a Pelini.
  • Hey, how about that volleyball tournament?
It’s like you are “shushing” them without actually doing the action. Kudos. Good luck out there, we need to remember we had it really good for nearly 50 years including winning 80% of the time over Iowa, this is really their first chance to thump their chest.

BTW, on here I enjoy trolling the trolls, they deserve it.:)

Reactions: 9and4
It’s like you are “shushing” them without actually doing the action. Kudos. Good luck out there, we need to remember we had it really good for a number of years including over Iowa, this is really their first chance to thump their chest.

BTW, on here I enjoy trolling the trolls, they deserve it.:)
I teach a sports writing class twice a week, so we establish a few things early on:
  • Yes, I'm a native Nebraskan and a UNL alumnus;
  • We are also journalists, and if you're covering a game, you don't take a side, even if you're emotionally invested in the outcome (I had to put aside my biases many times covering Nebraska in the 1980s);
  • We're not as good at football as Iowa has been for the past several years, no doubt about it;
  • We would love to have the stability that Coach Ferentz has provided here;
  • Volleyball is an awesome sport, and you should cover the Hawkeyes more;
  • I'm nearly 58 years old, and I was 42 years old before a Nebraska football team had a losing season in my life;
  • And if Nebraska never has a winning season for the rest of my life, I've lived through enough glory that I'm personally full, even if that means watching old games on YouTube — I hope, for your sakes, you can experience how awesome it is to support a dynasty such as the one I witnessed.

I will say the least Iowa could’ve done in these past five seasons of being the better team, the very least is to at least have won a B1G championship or a major bowl...

I realize playing and beating Nebraska is the highlight of the season for their fans, but the players can’t be happy with the relative lack of national relevance.
As an Iowa fan, I wouldn’t say that beating Nebraska is nowhere near the highlight of our season. It was back in the ‘80: but I don’t see how anyone would think that in the 2000s. In fact heading into last week, most of my nebraska buddies were treating the Iowa game as their Super Bowl. Honest question: who would nebraska rather beat: Iowa or Colorado?

As an Iowa fan, I wouldn’t say that beating Nebraska is nowhere near the highlight of our season. It was back in the ‘80: but I don’t see how anyone would think that in the 2000s. In fact heading into last week, most of my nebraska buddies were treating the Iowa game as their Super Bowl. Honest question: who would nebraska rather beat: Iowa or Colorado?

Both

Both, and for similar reasons.

Before coming to work at the University of Iowa, I was on the faculty of the University of Colorado. The students at both CU and UI are wonderful people, and generally deferential to my age and alleged expertise.

My time in Colorado did not correspond to any of Nebraska's recent losses to mediocre CU teams, so the students really didn't have any animosity towards us in the way that grown-ass adults did. Colorado fans — middle-aged men, according to media reports — ran to the Nebraska fans at Folsom Field this past year and "grabbed their junk," according to Steve Sipple of the Lincoln Journal-Star. So I want Nebraska to beat Colorado next time we play for that reason.

I want Nebraska to beat Iowa just to make my life easier. For example, walking my dog Saturday, wearing a Nebraska beanie.
Guy in my neighborhood whom I've never talked to, gets out of his truck and says: "You still wearing that hat?"
"And a good day to you, too, sir." (Or words to that effect)
"I heard the announcers on the TV say Nebraska used to be ranked in the top 20 every year? What happened?"
"Mind if my dog shits right here on your lawn?"

I teach a sports writing class twice a week, so we establish a few things early on:
  • Yes, I'm a native Nebraskan and a UNL alumnus;
  • We are also journalists, and if you're covering a game, you don't take a side, even if you're emotionally invested in the outcome (I had to put aside my biases many times covering Nebraska in the 1980s);
  • We're not as good at football as Iowa has been for the past several years, no doubt about it;
  • We would love to have the stability that Coach Ferentz has provided here;
  • Volleyball is an awesome sport, and you should cover the Hawkeyes more;
  • I'm nearly 58 years old, and I was 42 years old before a Nebraska football team had a losing season in my life;
  • And if Nebraska never has a winning season for the rest of my life, I've lived through enough glory that I'm personally full, even if that means watching old games on YouTube — I hope, for your sakes, you can experience how awesome it is to support a dynasty such as the one I witnessed.
That’s great. I’ve actually had Iowa fans tell me in person and on these message boards that they love mocking Nebraska football these days due to how Nebraska fans acted when Nebraska was really good pre 2002 and even just good 2002-2014. I only respond that their reasoning is silly, and that if Iowa had the historical success of Nebraska they would act the same way. Some of them actually believe they would take the high road if the tables were turned. Additionally, they act the way they do with just a modicum of success, this tells me all I need to know.

I do enjoy the back and forth, but I like it more when Nebraska wins, I’m only human. :)

He has said, there were other teams that declare you a rival, but there has to be a certain level of excellence for both teams. Oklahoma and Nebraska fit because when they played, they were both normally ranked and playing for something. Rivalries are not lopsided.

Iowa has been ranked and beat our ass 5 times in a row. Their place, our place, doesn’t matter.

Nebraska is no rival to Iowa.
Initially I said no, 10 years they of course aren't at a Okla level, but I would put them as a rival on the same lines as sCUm. Just an annoying loudmouth fan base that you look to destroys just to shut them up for a year. I don't ever see them becoming an Okla type rival, just because they will never be consistently good enough. Hell, we may not either at this rate. I think we have a better shot long term than they ever will. Ferentz is the best coach they will ever get, and 7-9 wins is his norm.
Look at it this way. We aren't good enough to be rivals with Ohio St, or Mich or Penn St or Wisc. Of all the teams left, who do you want to beat most just to shut them up? There is your answer if we are rivals with Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskredO1 and 9and4
Oooh, but the way your team celebrated beating a 1-4 Northwestern team. Seriously?, can you see the real blue bloods like Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, celebrating a win over a team that eventually won only one Big Ten game this season?
I could understand the excitement the team had for the kid who made the field goal: walk-on transfer safety who had no intention of kicking in any form makes a game-winning kick.

before reading this whole thread, you can absolutely have rivalries and not be "excellent" Since we have sucked recently we can't have them? Sorry but I don't believe that.

Both teams being good just helps.

I'm not discounting them at all. I think it could be a tremendous rivalry and I think Nebraska and Nebraska fans should fully embrace it. The thing with the kicker blowing his fairy kisses should only throw fuel on the fire.
I forgot about the blowing kisses thing by the kicker. Some things I’m forced suppress. Honestly, I found the Iowa fans to be humble and nice; sans a few jackasses.

However, that blowing kisses thing will come back to haunt them. And, as you said, it put fuel on the fire that was already an inferno.

I think as an older guy I do remember when Nebraska was really good. So when Iowa beats them it’s a big deal to me. But for the younger folks I think beating Ohio state , mich , pen state is a bigger deal. I personally hate Minnesota and they hate us.
Almost a riot over Minnesota threading an Iowa black player. That is how the pig came to be.
It’s still a big deal to me to just beat them we have a bad history. We don’t have a history yet with Nebraska but it is getting chippy so it can turn into one in 10 years. I feel bad for you guys because it’s like you got a divorce from the big 8 and know one has really healed yet.

I believe this is true. Iowa is in a weird position if being surrounded as a state with conference rivals all around us and an in-state school we play annually. For that reason it feels like we are playing a heated rival every week, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, ISU, hell, Illinois used to be huge.

Beating Nebraska has become a very big thing though.

I can respect that.

No they are not! They are an average team who has won nothing ever. At our very worst they barley beat us. They will never win a National Championship. They will never be in the same league as Nebraska- Oklahoma of the past.
you are correct. IN THE PAST. this is today!!!

I would try and schedule some home and away non-conference games with Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, and/or Oklahoma State in the near future so we can hang on to our mindset. We need familiarity on our schedule school history-wise to help out. All of those laughing Wisconsin faces shouldn't be so mentally draining for us.

I just see terrible chemistry right now with our Big Ten slate. Mesh in a familiar opponent and remove one of the Div II or lesser known schools. Coach Frost has got to do something to stop the bleeding.

Ha. Yep you should add a few if your old BIG 8 opponents so you can relive the old days that way too. You guys will never be a blue blood again.

You’re right, we Hawkeyes don’t consider UNL a rivalry either. I hate Nebraska but they aren’t a rival until you guys are ranked and the winning isn’t one sided. When we come in to your house and beat an unranked team, it’s nothing special. Soon as you’re ranked again, I mean mid season ranked, then it’ll be a game that means something to us. For now, KF clearly out coaches your shiny new toy and that is the fact you guys can’t see.

Frost can’t coach. Just look at your guy AM running OOB at the end if the game. If you had well coached guys, he’d never have made this error. or SF woulda called a timeout. Saturday’s aren’t your team’s problem. It’s the days between Saturday’s that are.

Iowa blew their only chance at the playoffs against Mich St a couple years ago... couldn’t stop them at the goal line. Complete letdown and emasculation! Laughed my ass off at that! Then in the Rose Bowl Stanford fists your team up and down the field!!! Laughed even more! Keep trying Cumshothawks! You BLOW! Enjoy getting blown out by an SEC team in your bowl.

Oh like last year? Oh wait, we beat Miss St.....facts are a pesky thing.....

For Iowa, I would suggest Iowa State and all six West opponents are rivals, with the history and location or colors involved.
  • Minnesota
  • Wisconsin
  • Iowa State
  • Nebraska
All being rivalry games.

It should be an interesting 2020 in the Big Ten West.

When will the first Big Ten West team win in Indianapolis against their Big Ten East opponent?

That day will come at some point, right?

The only Hawk fans that hate Nebraska and consider them a rival are those Hawk fans that live in Western Iowa. Most of them live in the past as do some Nebraska fans. Living in Eastern Iowa I have always thought Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois was Iowa's biggest rivals. Iowa State became a natural rival when after 43yrs of listening to their fans whine about not playing them the state legislature's ruling started the series up in the late 70s. Even now they're still whining. As far as Nebraska they made a mistake coming to the Big 10 a mistake that even Frost can't change.

This isn't true. The Husker hate is plentiful in Des Moines and all over central Iowa. It's the one thing Hawks and Clones agree on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT