ADVERTISEMENT

Is all forgiven

It’s crazy the difference 1 win can make, but that’s CFB. If we beat Iowa and go bowling year 1 will feel like a success, or progress at the least. If we lose… it’s really hard to call year 1 a success. No bowl game, no bowl practices and another year we lost to Colorado, Wisconsin and iowa. I just can’t call that successful, no matter how much I want to give Rhule and company some grace in year 1.

If we beat Iowa? Bowl eligible I would call good progress in year one.
Hard to be great coming on the heels of all of the losing seasons under Riley and Frost but this year’s schedule should have yielded more than 6-6 no matter who was coaching. Judging progress will jump up several degrees of difficulty starting next year as we lose the cupcake B1G West schedule.

Better but not totally forgiven. 6-6 regular season is better than the 5-7 or 4-8 seasons of the recent past but not by much. We should not have lost to Minnesota, MSU, Wisky, Maryland, or CU. And several of those losses were caused by piss poor coaching decisions. All will only be forgiven if we put together a much, much better season next year. Because another 6-6 debacle next year means these coaches are the same as the previous two regimes. Beating Iowa and going to a bowl is just a first step.

Better but not totally forgiven. 6-6 regular season is better than the 5-7 or 4-8 seasons of the recent past but not by much. We should not have lost to Minnesota, MSU, Wisky, Maryland, or CU. And several of those losses were caused by piss poor coaching decisions. All will only be forgiven if we put together a much, much better season next year. Because another 6-6 debacle next year means these coaches are the same as the previous two regimes. Beating Iowa and going to a bowl is just a first step.
“Another 6-6 debacle next year” will likely mean we have improved as we lose our cupcake a week schedule, especially the last 5 weeks. And 2025 is much tougher than next year. Rhule is going to have to earn that massive salary.

Last edited:
Going into this season, my expectation was making a bowl game. If we meet that, I'm satisfied. It's a step in the right direction.
Going into the season, with the schedule we had, my expectation was 8. Given all the injuries we had, if we beat Iowa and make a bowl it is a good season. They played pretty darn good D this season and the culture is changing for the better, that is success considering where we were before.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF
Get to 6 and we are back!

Going into the season, with the schedule we had, my expectation was 8. Given all the injuries we had, if we beat Iowa and make a bowl it is a good season. They played pretty darn good D this season and the culture is changing for the better, that is success considering where we were before.
Maybe you are right. Hope you are. Same type of assessments were widely prevalent at the end of Frost’s 1st yr.
Win games

Reactions: Child of the Corn
If we beat Iowa? Bowl eligible I would call good progress in year one.

Nothing to forgive in my book either way…Predicted 5 to 7 wins at the beginning of the season. Regardless, what happens tomorrow, satisfactory first year accomplishment, with what this staff had to work with IMO. For the record, I have already predicted a W for tomorrow and plan on attending any bowl game.

Yes, but hard to overlook that we should have beat msu, MD, MN, and cu.
It was the officials that handed those games to them gift wrapped by all of the game changing no calls as if they were called which they should've been, we win all 3 games. The Colorado game we totoally janked and was our fault.

Minnesota: Ervin's TD that was called back on the GL which was a TD. They let that stand which it should've stood, we win the game

Sparty: 5 different game changing no calls

Maryland: The officials let a certain TD that was incomplete as the review showed as the ball touched the ground when it was caught and the receiver didn't have control of it and that intentionally blown call cost us the game as we would've won.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Regardless if we win or lose we’re still better off than what we were a year ago.. We’ve had our chances the last 3 weeks, we get one more tomorrow let’s hope the boys get it done..
Are we better off?

Going into the off-season coaching search the sky was the limit

I'm a golfer, so "should have" is like second nature. Realistically though, we really are not that good. Year 1 after years of losing? All the injuries? 6 wins would seem objectively like a big success.
Lol, I made the turn 1 over yesterday. I then proceeded to card an 82.

The should haves are real.

To be fair 20-25mph winds.

So you had the wind at your back on the front 9 🤣
I'm a 12 so I usually get it going for about 9 holes, have a few wtf holes, and balance the rest out with pretty much bogey golf.

5 of 4 holes.

4 of 5 on the back

Desert golf, lots of forced carry.

Had 2 triples. One I chased a well hit ball (wind aided) ball through the fairway and unplayable. The other was back to back bad swings. From there it was just regular golf, but those 6 strokes were killers.

We still have not won a game that is decided by 8 points or less. A win against Iowa would be great, but a win against Iowa that is decided by 8 points or less would be even better.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I agree, but we can easily be back to bitching tomorrow too. Win or lose there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the offense as a whole. Defense could always use more pass rushers and more depth in secondary. I would like to see a true alpha emerge a LB.

Defense has no doubt improved in all areas. Offense was one of the worst we’ve seen in a while.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
I guess what blows my mind is expecting anything different from a guy who has a record that you can go off of to get yourself adjusted to what you should expect.

So far Rhule has exceeded his record. So, I am happy for him and the team even though they may not like where they are, they are being coached by a guy who has a record of turning teams around and he has outdone himself compared to his pattern of success.

When that dork hired Riley, what were they expecting? He had a million years of proving he's .500.

If TA or TC expected more than what Rhule had accomplished in the past in his first year then they should have hired some other coach. There were a couple of them this last go around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT