ADVERTISEMENT

Unlimited eligibility?

mkbrkloster

Senior
Jan 27, 2005
Saw an interesting take that I hadn't thought of or heard discussed: "After transfers become unlimited in the near future, the next will be unlimited eligibility. The artificial 4 years will be history since it infringes on the players' ability to earn NIL money. If the player is enrolled and academically eligible, he will be eligible to play. Expect to see many teams with 28 to 30 year olds getting their doctorate degrees."

Thoughts?

Saw an interesting take that I hadn't thought of or heard discussed: "After transfers become unlimited in the near future, the next will be unlimited eligibility. The artificial 4 years will be history since it infringes on the players' ability to earn NIL money. If the player is enrolled and academically eligible, he will be eligible to play. Expect to see many teams with 28 to 30 year olds getting their doctorate degrees."

Thoughts?
With all of the things I see going on now that I never thought would happen, anything seems to be possible. But before this happens, I think they'll just be a push to make athletes non-students, regulating college sports to minor league sports.

It's easy to have a "slippery slope" attitude to all of this, but I have to think that at some point, some brakes are going to be put on all of this madness. As I've said before, there's a simple solution to this that satisfies both side of the issue. Let the kids go out and get their NIL deals if they can, but they're on their own. The NCAA can vote rules in that the colleges cannot participate in any of this, and if they do, they face sanctions.

If they do this simple thing, then we'll just have boosters making deals with players, but it'll be the players responsibility to get and keep the deals and I can guarantee that the deals will then be contractually tied to performance.

Reactions: OO Snipes

Thoughts?

That won't be an issue in the future. The old eligibility rules will kick back into play once everyone who was in college during the 2020-21 academic year finally graduates out. Here are the reasons why players still have eligibility:

1. 2020-21 was a free year for anyone attending a 4-year school or JUCO.
2. Players who suffered a serious injury from 2019 to 2021 are receiving an "extra-extra" year because the precedent has been set that their rehabilitation was interrupted.
3. Players who redshirted during the 2020-2021 academic year are also receiving an "extra-extra" year because the argument has been made that those players didn't receive proper academic and athletic development time due to the pandemic.

Kids who became freshmen in 2022 or later will re-stabilize the eligibility clocks here in 2026 and 2027.

I bolded two points above to bring something else up:

Minnesota and Illinois really benefitted immensely with those two situations. When the pandemic hit, they both had rosters full of 3rd and 4th year players. They were able to parley those extra years of eligibility into success in 2021 and 2022.

In Nebraska's case, the Huskers went into 2020 with a bunch of 1st and 2nd year linemen. Nebraska will finally be able to reap some of those extra eligibility benefits in 2024.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Not a chance, why would you even come up with this

Reactions: V-Doub
Unlimited eligibility is already a thing. Just look at Kyle Perry blowing up Nebraska baseball in his 6th year.

Most kids not named Gebbia want to get on with their professional life after college sports anyway.... I always wonder what somebody who's hanging out in college for 6 or 7 years is thinking anyway.

Reactions: mgbreis

Thoughts?
Interesting thought, it would provide some competition for the NFL basically converting the top NIL college teams into Pro teams.

Most kids not named Gebbia want to get on with their professional life after college sports anyway.... I always wonder what somebody who's hanging out in college for 6 or 7 years is thinking anyway.

6d88ad82-9473-49ce-abe9-cd16d661b462_text.gif

If staying in college for more years is necessary to earn more NIL money than they could get in the NFL, I could see some kids rotating through changes for "easy" majors. And remember a lot of kids don't make it in the NFL but were contributors at their colleges. For some it might come down to ending their football career vs. prolonging it and earning NIL money for a few extra years.

With all of the things I see going on now that I never thought would happen, anything seems to be possible. But before this happens, I think they'll just be a push to make athletes non-students, regulating college sports to minor league sports.

It's easy to have a "slippery slope" attitude to all of this, but I have to think that at some point, some brakes are going to be put on all of this madness. As I've said before, there's a simple solution to this that satisfies both side of the issue. Let the kids go out and get their NIL deals if they can, but they're on their own. The NCAA can vote rules in that the colleges cannot participate in any of this, and if they do, they face sanctions.

If they do this simple thing, then we'll just have boosters making deals with players, but it'll be the players responsibility to get and keep the deals and I can guarantee that the deals will then be contractually tied to performance.
This advisory group formed by the BIG/SEC has first on their agenda to the opposite of what you have suggested. They want to allow schools to pay directly to the athletes, which increases the advantage the P2 has over all other conferences, since they have most of the money - understatement.
Players will not have to be students in the near future as the Athletic Departments become independent of the universities. As far as how long they can stick around, who knows, but if they are not part of the university, who would say they must leave (the NCAA will be gone from the P2). It will no longer be college football.
The NFL is the major leagues, The BIG/SEC are triple A ball, and the Big 12 is double A (after the BIG/SEC get done tearing the hell out of the ACC). The rest will decide if they will keep the sport or not. If they don't need FB, they will drop it, and the presidents and chancellors of those universities will be delighted.
In the words of the philosopher king - Frank Zappa - "This is going to get funky before it gets strange"
We have passed funky, and are now in the strange. Next stop - disaster for college football as a national sport. But the ones left playing it in the Midwest and deep South will make alot of money - hoooooraaaa!!!

this would be a way for collegiate pros to go against pro pros - forever eligible. who would you watch, N or the chiefs if your new qb was here for seven or eight years? i'm guessing your loyalty would be to the gbr reds. soon, it might be N v. the chiefs in the super bowl if players just stayed home in lincoln, right?

Thoughts?
That would be interesting. Not sure if that big of a deal in football but across the river in wbb it would make sense since could make a lot more scratch with nil than wnba.

But I vote no and doubt if that will become reality. Wouldn't be surprised to see it challenged in court though

That won't be an issue in the future. The old eligibility rules will kick back into play once everyone who was in college during the 2020-21 academic year finally graduates out. Here are the reasons why players still have eligibility:

1. 2020-21 was a free year for anyone attending a 4-year school or JUCO.
2. Players who suffered a serious injury from 2019 to 2021 are receiving an "extra-extra" year because the precedent has been set that their rehabilitation was interrupted.
3. Players who redshirted during the 2020-2021 academic year are also receiving an "extra-extra" year because the argument has been made that those players didn't receive proper academic and athletic development time due to the pandemic.

Kids who became freshmen in 2022 or later will re-stabilize the eligibility clocks here in 2026 and 2027.

I bolded two points above to bring something else up:

Minnesota and Illinois really benefitted immensely with those two situations. When the pandemic hit, they both had rosters full of 3rd and 4th year players. They were able to parley those extra years of eligibility into success in 2021 and 2022.

In Nebraska's case, the Huskers went into 2020 with a bunch of 1st and 2nd year linemen. Nebraska will finally be able to reap some of those extra eligibility benefits in 2024.
I think you missed the point. The idea of unlimited eligibility has nothing to do with Covid. Rather it's based on the legal argument that a potentially arbitrary number of years to play infringes on someone's ability to earn a living. That idea doesn't go away after the Covid "free year" is over.

there was a time when freshman were ineligible so it wouldn’t surprise me to see unlimited college career

I think you missed the point. The idea of unlimited eligibility has nothing to do with Covid. Rather it's based on the legal argument that a potentially arbitrary number of years to play infringes on someone's ability to earn a living. That idea doesn't go away after the Covid "free year" is over.
Yup, sorta like some of the TAs I had in college... 31 year old adolescents that were afraid of the real world.

this would be a way for collegiate pros to go against pro pros - forever eligible. who would you watch, N or the chiefs if your new qb was here for seven or eight years? i'm guessing your loyalty would be to the gbr reds. soon, it might be N v. the chiefs in the super bowl if players just stayed home in lincoln, right?
The NFL franchises (Chiefs) have much much more money than a Nebraska. They will strip the best players from a Nebraska, just like Nebraska will be able to strip the best players from a Big 12 program. They will kill the color and romance of college football, but it will mean a ton of money for those who survive and make into the P2 - minor league, professional conferences. It's all crap, but there is no going back.
As this evolves, a Colorado will not schedule Nebraska because they will not have the money to compete for players. The Huskers will have to get their blood up for the Golden Gophers!!

The NFL franchises (Chiefs) have much much more money than a Nebraska. They will strip the best players from a Nebraska, just like Nebraska will be able to strip the best players from a Big 12 program. They will kill the color and romance of college football, but it will mean a ton of money for those who survive and make into the P2 - minor league, professional conferences. It's all crap, but there is no going back.
As this evolves, a Colorado will not schedule Nebraska because they will not have the money to compete for players. The Huskers will have to get their blood up for the Golden Gophers!!
that would assume that N's professional revenues would not grow exponentially to soon rival the nfl. my assumption here is that they would if the power four goes to a professional format. btw ...

How are NIL deals for high school students "contractually tied to performance?"

This is a misogyny.

Who came up with 4/5 years as the (standard) limit, and why? Now that I can get paid to plaly, that limit is restricting my ability to earn a living. The NCAA has lost every significant court case related to its business model. Why would they win this theoretical case?
christmas vacation GIF

If I were to get fired that would infringe on my ability to earn a living. Therefore I can't be fired from a job.

If I have to pay for ribeyes at the grocery store that infringes on my ability to feed myself.

If the bank denied my mortgage that infringes on my ability to get the house I want.

All these infringements are ruining people's lives!

Who came up with 4/5 years as the (standard) limit, and why? Now that I can get paid to plaly, that limit is restricting my ability to earn a living. The NCAA has lost every significant court case related to its business model. Why would they win this theoretical case?
Wild idea here, but it probably has to do with what the NCAA can and can't control.

Your position seems to be because they lost one case they will now lose all cases. Which doesn't seem likely.

The NCAA could cease to exist, but that take the majority of major sports schools to withdraw from it.

I could see where the NCAA is either replaced or changed. Title IX issues would probably need to be addressed first.

But the NFL teams have far fewer roster spots available to strip all the players that are productive at the college level. Sure they would be able to outbid colleges to get the very best superstars but that still leaves a lot of other players.

How are NIL deals for high school students "contractually tied to performance?"
Please, I've read my post again. When did I even mention high school students? Performance would be contractually tied to performance on the field at the college that booster who's paying for the "NIL" deal supports.

For example, a kid negotiates a "NIL" deal with a booster for Nebraska. The contract WITH THE BOOSTER (disguised as NIL) would state that the player has to meet certain performance metrics to be paid (i.e. become a starter or actual player at some point to be negotiated, win some awards, etc.) They could also get some incentives for example if they meet certain metrics and the team wins a certain number of games (both would have to be met).

Or, they could just negotiate anything they want that's legal to lure the kid to the school.

If I were to get fired that would infringe on my ability to earn a living. Therefore I can't be fired from a job.

If I have to pay for ribeyes at the grocery store that infringes on my ability to feed myself.

If the bank denied my mortgage that infringes on my ability to get the house I want.

All these infringements are ruining people's lives!
Wow, you had to have pulled a hammy stretching that much. Strange attempts to draw comparisons where there are none.

Suppose I played 4 years of baseball at NU. Great hitter for average, a great second baseman, but I'm 5' 2" with no power, so no professional organization drafted me. Why can't I continue to play baseball at NU, and earn a living via NIL, while I pursue my Masters degree?

Wild idea here, but it probably has to do with what the NCAA can and can't control.

Your position seems to be because they lost one case they will now lose all cases. Which doesn't seem likely.

The NCAA could cease to exist, but that take the majority of major sports schools to withdraw from it.

I could see where the NCAA is either replaced or changed. Title IX issues would probably need to be addressed first.
"lost one case"? Just off the top of my head in several years, the NCAA has lost or likely will lose:
1. NIL
2. Multi-transfer rule
3. Athletes ability to unionize as employees of the institution

All 3 are monumental changes against how the NCAA has operated for decades. The last one might be the most significant, in that it means that student-athletes are no longer considered amateurs, which was the bedrock of most NCAA policies.

Reactions: king_kong_

Thoughts?
Don't love it. I know sports are changing, but college sports in general have always been awesome. I think to me it makes it a lot less awesome. I might be persuaded over time, but initial reaction is they lose their luster.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT