ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
i don't want to jinx anything here, but am I the only one who has noticed that so far (knock wood) we seem to have avoided any major injuries in Fall camp? Usually, by now, we would have heard that so and so blew out a knee and another guy has a severe hamstring pull. Are there injuries happening and we just don't know because Frost does not report them, or is our conditioning just that much better this year?

Keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of thin positions.

i don't want to jinx anything here, but am I the only one who has noticed that so far (knock wood) we seem to have avoided any major injuries in Fall camp? Usually, by now, we would have heard that so and so blew out a knee and another guy has a severe hamstring pull. Are there injuries happening and we just don't know because Frost does not report them, or is our conditioning just that much better this year?

Now you have done it!!! Winking

way-to-go-ex85sr.jpg

Now I'll be expecting our first major injury. Thanks for that. Winking

Or it's because Frost said he would not be announcing injuries unless they happen to be season ending.
This true. I was referring to what the sportscaster/reporter said he observed that players weren't allowed to just"take time off". Some of this is attributed to the change in mentality AND weight lifting and conditioning. Which is basically a change of mentality there to. There is accountability now. You train and lift hard. Not allowed to take days off. You are accountable at the training table.

I think we have the attitude in place now off not wanting to let the guy next to me down. This is good.

Yup, those burning the roof of your mouth from too hot pizza roll injuries are brutal!!;)
I'm not exactly sure that Frost was being completely honest in his discussion of the 2 guys left off the 110 camp roster.... Good thing he hadn't been asked about one of his staff's legal issues.

Frost said he wouldn't be announcing injuries this year. Guessing that is probably why we haven't heard much.

There have been individuals kept out of practice for dings, Wyatt M for example . They have been reported on my the media.

Its a combination of this staff expects kids to get tough, they don't announce injuries, and the strength and conditioning staff know their stuff. As was just mentioned ,UCF last year had no major injuries, and I don't think they ever had a bye week either. By the end of the season, they were banged up, but thats true of any team right before a bowl game.

Was thinking the same thing yesterday. Whatever they are doing, I think it's working.

Stupid thread, you put the curse on us :p Tre Bryant injured (tweaked?) his ankle. Was mentioned by HCSF in his press conf today.
When you brace up a knee, something else has to give and that's usually an ankle.

When you brace up a knee, something else has to give and that's usually an ankle.

Too bad for him, he worked hard getting back from were he was after the Oregon game....

He has 2 weeks before the first game he’ll be getting some touches..

giphy-downsized.gif

Don't bet for one moment Frost didn't watch KB's career while at Oregon. Kenny was exactly the type of receiver Frost wanted and now wants. Kenny had it all, as he had speed, shiftyness, great hands, strength and power. He was one of the hardest hitting receivers, we've ever had. Don't believe me? Go watch games from his career and see just how many devastating blocks he made down field! Bell had the fire and intensity Frost seeks from his current crop of receivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic
Kenny at times would deliver some blows and take some blows, but he took himself out on a regular basis and wouldn't practice or play at times when there didn't seem to be any reason that he couldn't.or shouldn't. Not going to say how I know that. At that time, we couldn't afford to have him on the sideline but he regularly was.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Don't bet for one moment Frost didn't watch KB's career while at Oregon. Kenny was exactly the type of receiver Frost wanted and now wants. Kenny had it all, as he had speed, shiftyness, great hands, strength and power. He was one of the hardest hitting receivers, we've ever had. Don't believe me? Go watch games from his career and see just how many devastating blocks he made down field! Bell had the fire and intensity Frost seeks from his current crop of receivers.
Maybe Bell would have laid it on the line and sucked it up more for Frost. Maybe. I was a big fan of Kenny's talent but.... Again, some guys would play with bloody stumps. Kenny wasn't one of those guys. Quincy Enunwa was. Tommy Armstrong was. Scott Frost was. Zac Taylor was. As much as I didn't care for some of TMart's stuff he would have and did play with significant injuries at times to the detriment of the team.

I can never keep track of which Huskers are ok to diss and which are off limits Kenny made a lot of big plays and helped win us a number of games so I guess I think of him in a positive light. He wouldn't be the first receiver to sit a few extra plays out, but when he was on the field he brought it and it made a difference.
I think Frost would have loved a guy like that and Kenny probably would have been less of a 'candy ass' if Frost would have been his coach.

Damn you... Damn you.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
There was something on the radio not long ago comparing the the lack of injuries to last year. Main takeaway was the discussion of "soft tissue"injuries. The lack of vs the not allowed to take off due to. In other words, suck it up and get tough.

On the HOL podcast, Callahan said that under Riley players were able to take time off practices as they saw fit and didn’t lose reps when they decided to practice again. That’s one of the reasons we had players missing a lot of camp.

Sounds like Frost doesn’t work like that. If you miss time, your spot could be up for grabs.

Or it's because Frost said he would not be announcing injuries unless they happen to be season ending.
This. There's no incentive for any coach in major college football to disclose any injury. Though I will say Duval either got really lucky or was really skilled at keeping UCF relatively injury free.

I would venture that UCF did have some soft tissue injuries last year BUT being a candy ass wasn't allowed by Frost's staff. Kenny Bell would have never lasted with Frost.
Kenny got hurt everytime he got tackled not surprised he couldnt make it in the league

On the HOL podcast, Callahan said that under Riley players were able to take time off practices as they saw fit and didn’t lose reps when they decided to practice again. That’s one of the reasons we had players missing a lot of camp.

"I got a owie on my elbow coach, I can't practice today.":(

I was thinks no the same thing. By this time in past years we would have had multiple season ending non contact injuries. Something is starting to go right

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT