ADVERTISEMENT

In defense of koolaid drinking

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
The worst part about the loss to CU was how much it burst our bubble of excitement for this year. Our expectations were so high, and the consumption of red koolaid so over the top, that when we lost to a very mediocre team with a third tier football program and bottom feeding fans, we were all deflated and ready to slit our wrists in despair.

Then came the lament: I will never drink the koolaid again! And I am not throwing shade at anyone... I said as much many times too. Suddenly, koolaid fell out of fashion and onto hard times.

But after watching last night’s game I felt hope rising in me again. I saw some glimmers of our potential. I started dreaming the “what if” scenarios for how we can still win the West. In other words, I started sipping on the koolaid again.

And that got me thinking... maybe koolaid drinking isn’t so bad after all. Maybe it is a healthy sign of being a loyal fan. Maybe all it means is I want to hope for what is the best scenario for my team rather than the worst. Maybe it means that I don’t want to settle for being average ... you know... like Iowa. That is why I hate losing to those peckers. Because it means we are below average since they really are boring and mediocre. And I refuse to accept that we are destined to be below that level forever.

So here is to Koolaid drinking. Let’s gulp that shit.

The worst part about the loss to CU was how much it burst our bubble of excitement for this year. Our expectations were so high, and the consumption of red koolaid so over the top, that when we lost to a very mediocre team with a third tier football program and bottom feeding fans, we were all deflated and ready to slit our wrists in despair.

Then came the lament: I will never drink the koolaid again! And I am not throwing shade at anyone... I said as much many times too. Suddenly, koolaid fell out of fashion and onto hard times.

But after watching last night’s game I felt hope rising in me again. I saw some glimmers of our potential. I started dreaming the “what if” scenarios for how we can still win the West. In other words, I started sipping on the koolaid again.

And that got me thinking... maybe koolaid drinking isn’t so bad after all. Maybe it is a healthy sign of being a loyal fan. Maybe all it means is I want to hope for what is the best scenario for my team rather than the worst. Maybe it means that I don’t want to settle for being average ... you know... like Iowa. That is why I hate losing to those peckers. Because it means we are below average since they really are boring and mediocre. And I refuse to accept that we are destined to be below that level forever.

Oh yeah, slam that Koolaid down!!

And why not? First and foremost the blackshirts are way, way, wayyyyyyyy better than they've been in years. Offensively we've got skilled players that are faster than lightning "and" a very talented qb.

The Oline? Well, let's fill the Koolaid with a 5th of Jim Beam.

I actually thought cu would win, and I based that on how choppy the first game was and then going on the road (well, not really with all the Husker fans there) for a tough game. I was surprised by the way Nebraska totally dominated the first half, not surprised how they played in the second, but they did have their chances to win none the less.

Last night they played better than I expected against a good team in NIU, their guys on their d-line were real good, but Nebraska did get a few runs on them up the middle, and need to keep working on that. Overall, a good performance with room for improvement. Time for Illinois.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
1/3 Belevedere

2/3 Clear Cold Soda, on ice...

Splash of Koolaid and 2 limes to taste.

GBR

What about just straight crown? Even though koolaid was invented in Hastings Nebraska i cant stand the stuff, probably because that’s all we had as a kid instead of soda pop

Fine points and you are certainly entitled to get back on the hype train, but after an off-season of gorging myself with koolaid, I’ll give it a couple more weeks.

Next week “should” be a game that the Huskers win easily, but I’ll hold reservation until the Ohio State game. Right now I see it still being closer to last year’s Michigan game than last year’s Ohio State game, but the good news is we’ll know in two short weeks.

I to have started sipping the Koolaid again. I saw signs of hope last night. We still have many areas that need improvement. To me the most important improvement I saw was in Frost and his play calling. He seemed to have that no fear of failure mentality. Just put trust in his players to just go out and make a play. They did.

Oh yeah, slam that Koolaid down!!

And why not? First and foremost the blackshirts are way, way, wayyyyyyyy better than they've been in years. Offensively we've got skilled players that are faster than lightning "and" a very talented qb.

The Oline? Well, let's fill the Koolaid with a 5th of Jim Beam.
Wow this dude is swimming in it!!!!

Fine points and you are certainly entitled to get back on the hype train, but after an off-season of gorging myself with koolaid, I’ll give it a couple more weeks.

Next week “should” be a game that the Huskers win easily, but I’ll hold reservation until the Ohio State game. Right now I see it still being closer to last year’s Michigan game than last year’s Ohio State game, but the good news is we’ll know in two short weeks.
I hate the term "should". The only difference over the last 4 years between Illinois and Nebraska is the fact we have better fans. But fans do not play the game, and since we do not have new facilities and apparently don't cheat like we used to then having great fans is relatively useless. We've had great fans for a long time and it hasn't impacted us on the field. Illinois has nice enough facilities, they have better access to talent, they have had turnover on their staff like us, but they have a respected coach at the helm...I think the guy maybe coached in a super bowl. They had a let down last week but we could have lost in week 1 with a few bad bounces. They have 100+ kids that work their tail off and a coaching staff trying to keep its job..they have S and C and they have a home stadium and it will be a night game. The idea behind competition is there isn't a "should" involved. Both parties are fighting on equal terms, that makes competition great. This idea that the season is already determined based on opinion or expectation is farcical.

Last edited:
I hate the term "should". The only difference over the last 4 years between Illinois and Nebraska is the fact we have better fans. But fans do not play the game, and since we do not have new facilities and apparently don't cheat like we used to then having great fans is relatively useless. We've had great fans for a long time and it hasn't impacted us on the field. Illinois has nice enough facilities, they have better access to talent, they have had turnover on their staff like us, but they have a respected coach at the helm...I think the guy maybe coached in a super bowl. They had a let down last week but we could have lost in week 1 with a few bad bounces. They have 100+ kids that work their tail off and a coaching staff trying to keep its job..they have S and C and they have a home stadium and it will be a night game. The idea behind competition is there isn't a "should" involved. Both parties are fighting on equal terms, that makes competition great. This idea that the season is already determined based on opinion or expectation is farcical.
Yes....Lovie Smith was 81-63 as the Chicago Bears coach, with one Super Bowl trip. He was then coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs for 2 seasons. Was fired by both....but everyone in the NFL gets fired at some point. Heck...Bill Belichick's even been fired.

Might be an interesting game....

I’ve started sipping again too. What I saw last night was what I expected to see the last two weeks. I expect to see continued improvement. That loss to CU was bad, but all in all, if we continue to improve and gel, then I think we are still very much a factor in the West.

I misspoke like Frost did before the Purdue game last year. You are right, we are In the Illinois’ league. Hence why I’m pushing aside the koolaid. At this point I think Ohio State curb stomps us, but hoping for the best.

I think its ok to just flat out root for our Huskers every week and hope we see improvement every week.. call it what you want i saw a team last year that came together and played better as the season went on.. this team is bigger faster and stronger than last years team.. i think when they really start clicking and Frost trusts them more we are going to be playing our best football in Oct and Nov..hopefully not stubbing our toes too much before then! GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT