ADVERTISEMENT

If we lose to Maryland

I can't wait until we're good again so we can stop pretending like it's no surprise when an inferior team beats us.

We're far away from that. To get to that point you need a culture turnaround and great coaching. Since our staff is learning on the fly it will take every bit of 5 years to get it to that point, and arguably to the point BoBo had it in 09-10.

I'm not stuck on one game and I'm not using some hypothetical, you are. I have shown that he took over a program in better shape and still struggled for 2+ years before turning it around. You said that he would have had us bowling last year and this year, with no sane reason to say so. You created this scenario, which makes no sense, not me.
no he did not take over a program in better shape. He took over a program that had won more games but when he got to minnesota he did not find a team with talent. After he took over btn did his first fall camp. they said it was shocking how bad the talent was. Denardo said he had never seen a 9 win comeback with sow little talent the following year. The Gophers had not been recruiting well and fleck was hired late a filled out his first class with western michigan commits. This is why fleck called his first year year zero. in his first 2 years fleck had the youngest team in the country

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
I can't wait until we're good again so we can stop pretending like it's no surprise when an inferior team beats us.

And i completely agree with you there. But again, Troy is no “GIVE ME” game. Again, they beat LSU and was 5-6 points away from beating Clemson (a playoff team that year). Troy is no guarantee win. That’s all my point was.

Reactions: bshirt73
no he did not take over a program in better shape. He took over a program that had won more games but when he got to minnesota he did not find a team with talent. After he took over btn did his first fall camp. they said it was shocking how bad the talent was. Denardo said he had never seen a 9 win comeback with sow little talent the following year. The Gophers had not been recruiting well and fleck was hired late a filled out his first class with western michigan commits. This is why fleck called his first year year zero. in his first 2 years fleck had the youngest team in the country

sorry but I kind of disagree with that. I’m not so sure the Huskers has more talent then Minnesota did. Remember , we lost most of our 4 star guys. And if you look, are best players are sophomores and freshmen just like Minnesota. There’s literally only 1 or 2 freshmen and sophomore difference between the two teams.

sorry but I kind of disagree with that. I’m not so sure the Huskers has more talent then Minnesota did. Remember , we lost most of our 4 star guys. And if you look, are best players are sophomores and freshmen just like Minnesota. There’s literally only 1 or 2 freshmen and sophomore difference between the two teams.
And yet 1 team is 9-0 and trounced the other who is 4-5 and will likely lose out. Thats coaching.

And yet 1 team is 9-0 and trounced the other who is 4-5 and will likely lose out. Thats coaching.

If you say so and if that’s what you believe. And no, that could just as easily be talent and one having a harder schedule while the other has and easy schedule. Do not mistake it, Fleck and Minnesota has the easiest schedule in power 5 football possibly...just saying. That also plays a huge difference on outcomes and win/lose records. And isn’t Fleck in year 3? I don’t think he’s in the middle of year 2 is he?

And i completely agree with you there. But again, Troy is no “GIVE ME” game. Again, they beat LSU and was 5-6 points away from beating Clemson (a playoff team that year). Troy is no guarantee win. That’s all my point was.
Like I said to TopGun, we had enough talent to beat Troy in 2018.

Lastly, I'm not saying Troy was a gimme, but let's not pretend that no other coach could have beaten Troy that day with that Nebraska roster.

If you say so and if that’s what you believe. And no, that could just as easily be talent and one having a harder schedule while the other has and easy schedule. Do not mistake it, Fleck and Minnesota has the easiest schedule in power 5 football possibly...just saying. That also plays a huge difference on outcomes and win/lose records. And isn’t Fleck in year 3? I don’t think he’s in the middle of year 2 is he?

We certainly aren't helping Minny's SoS any. But yeah, I thought Fleck was in year 3.

We make fun of Minnesota's schedule, but is ours really that much better?

Non-Conference our opponents are 8-20 while Minnesota's are 16-12. I realize South Dakota State is a FCS school, but they're probably better than South Alabama.
Minnesota's SoS: 57 (was 77th prior to PSU game)
ours: 44

nope, pretty even. rest of season pretty much the same, too. both numbers will likely finish higher than where they are today, but won't be drastically different from each other.

they won their close games. we did not.

They also won their blowouts, while we did not.

(NIU doesn't count)

:Cool:

Yeah I feel your pain, but they won't even start looking for another coach until year 4 or 5 of shitty results. He's on a 7 year contract, it takes time to fix a broken program, and we absolutely could not find anyone better than him at the moment.
He’s the best coach for the Nebraska job but it pains me to admit that he is not a great coach at this point in his career.

Like I said to TopGun, we had enough talent to beat Troy in 2018.

Lastly, I'm not saying Troy was a gimme, but let's not pretend that no other coach could have beaten Troy that day with that Nebraska roster.

maybe so, but I’m still sticking with it...Troy is no automatic win. You don’t go to LSU and beat them... push over teams don’t do that and you definitely don’t go to Clemson and almost knock them off at Clemson either. And you’re right, if we had Adrain Martinez that game, we win a close game instead of losing a close game.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
maybe so, but I’m still sticking with it...Troy is no automatic win. You don’t go to LSU and beat them is you’re a push over team and you definitely don’t go to Clemson and almost knock them off at Clemson either. And you’re right, if we had Adrain Martinez that game, we win a close game instead of losing a close game.
I think we have basically pissed away five games we should have won the last two years and I don’t have Troy on the list. Colorado 18 and 19, NW 18, Indiana 19 and Purdue 19. Not sure we can count a game with Andrew Bunch under center (or behind center) as one. But still five in two years.

I think we have basically pissed away five games we should have won the last two years and I don’t have Troy on the list. Colorado 18 and 19, NW 18, Indiana 19 and Purdue 19. Not sure we can count a game with Andrew Bunch under center (or behind center) as one. But still five in two years.

i agree with that. If we lost while Martinez was QB last year, then I’d say we pushed it away. But playing a back up walk on QB in year one of the systems... that’s not quite the same thing.

And we should have at least gone into overtime with Iowa last year.

And we should have at least gone into overtime with Iowa last year.

that we should have. I honestly felt we had those guys. They got the lead early and we stormed back just to fall short by a dam last second field goal. We had the momentum going....and if we go to Overtime, I really think we beat Iowa.

Pissing away games that the team should've won is a major indicator that our coaching has been crap. That is one of the hallmarks of a poorly coached team

Reactions: CatColumbia
At this point, do we really care that much about a loss to Maryland? We suck, whether or not a win comes out of it. I suppose it keeps the slimmest of hopes alive for a bowl game, but we still suck. We seemingly lack a bunch of talent and what we do have isn’t (reportedly) doing what they need to do to succeed. I’m guessing Frost just rides with these guys for the rest of the year. I’ll be cheering for a win, but we are a bottom BIG team no matter the outcome.
We do not lack talent. We lack good coaching. Look at K-State and how good the coaching is there. K-State has not recruited better than Nebraska the last 5 years. They have good coaching.

Reactions: CatColumbia
We do not lack talent. We lack good coaching. Look at K-State and how good the coaching is there. K-State has not recruited better than Nebraska the last 5 years. They have good coaching.
We absolutely lack talent, it’s not an either or. Admitting the other flaws in the program doesn’t mean you are OK with the coaching.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Pissing away games that the team should've won is a major indicator that our coaching has been crap. That is one of the hallmarks of a poorly coached team
Of course it is. Our coaching has not been good to date. Like you know, this group is young and will be given time, so we need them to figure it out or Frost to make staff changes. I think many of our coaches are very capable and I see the light at the end of the tunnel for our offense. Not seeing on the defensive side right now.

Of course it is. Our coaching has not been good to date. Like you know, this group is young and will be given time, so we need them to figure it out or Frost to make staff changes. I think many of our coaches are very capable and I see the light at the end of the tunnel for our offense. Not seeing on the defensive side right now.

I don't think Frost will make necessary changes, which is pretty disheartening. The offense has been even more disappointing than the defense, imo.

I don't think Frost will make necessary changes, which is pretty disheartening. The offense has been even more disappointing than the defense, imo.

I hope that they self-reflect and make the changes they need to. My opinion, is that we have three position coaches and a co-ordinator that haven't been very good (one of the position coaches struggling is also a co-ordinator in title, but we know that is just in title) and that Coach Frost has to see that. As to what he does about it, there are several options, but it needs addressed. For instance, if he isn't going to move on from Chinander, he has to make him improve. Team up with someone like LSU, Cal or Tennessee (Aranda, Wilcox and Pruitt are great 3-4 coaches) and share ideas. Frost is considered a great offensive mind, share your thoughts on offense, let them share their insights on defense with Chinander. TO and Pelini both used to do this.

I agree the offense has been disappointing, but I do think we will have very good offenses here, even next year. If we get Betts and Manning here, we could have an unbelievable offense. To me the the path to future success on offense is clear. I don't see a clear blue-print to this on the defense, to be honest. Even if we get a great pass rusher, I'm not sure we will be good. Heck, they had Griffin at UCF and were still a middle of the pack defense. Schematic and/or coaching changes will probably need to happen to get there on defense.

.. we absolutely could not find anyone better than him at the moment.
Sorry, but I hate this way of thinking. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it and work to make it happen. We could get anyone we wanted to coach our program. I think they will give Scott another year, but if it is 3 years of this, they will fire him.

i agree with that. If we lost while Martinez was QB last year, then I’d say we pushed it away. But playing a back up walk on QB in year one of the systems... that’s not quite the same thing.
Frost shouldn't have screwed over Tristan with his fake qb competition.. that was horrible player mismanagement.

He’s the best coach for the Nebraska job but it pains me to admit that he is not a great coach at this point in his career.
He is a bad coach right now. Hope he gets better. It is hard to see any improvement for the last 2 years. If we lose at Maryland next week which we probably will, I hope he starts to make changes starting with the DC.

He is a bad coach right now. Hope he gets better. It is hard to see any improvement for the last 2 years. If we lose at Maryland next week which we probably will, I hope he starts to make changes starting with the DC.
He is NOT a bad coach right now. He's an unpolished coach with talent gaps on his roster. Frost needs to get more involved with the defensive side of the ball ASAP. Oh and find a good kicker. Good heavens that has cost us a bunch of points this year. He's stuck with Riley's kicker recruit and we wasted a year of scholarship on Riley's punter. HAVE to find guys who can kick. For heaven's sake South Dakota State has a Vinatieri kicking for them. Armstrong is okay but man he's not what we were used to.

In all honesty, we really don't know what we have yet. One perfect season and most likely 3 losing ones in 4 years. That 13-0 season could bite us in our ass. Or it could be a sign of things to come. If we have a losing season next year, or the year after, then I think we know what we have. The key is getting the program to trend upward. As it stands, we currently are not and it would appear that we might be a long ways off from it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT