ADVERTISEMENT

I feel alot better about the qb position after today

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
smothers was a lot more poised then I thought he would be.

it would be nice if we got baylor's coach in, to direct smothers

frost and martinez should go to florida, their system would probably work better there

He did pretty good for most of the game. If he does the same thing after the first couple of games to start next season without the mistakes, then a winning record is possible.

I know people are frustrated right now about the Iowa result, but even a win woudn't have really mattered that much since the future is all based on who the offensive coordiantor will be.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Kid had a offer from Ohio State. That shows he has some promise.

Aside from that final interception (which may have been the receiver making the wrong read), he played great for a first start. If the special teams hadn't messed up, Nebraska may have been tied and driving for a game winning field goal in the final two minutes.

it would be nice if we got baylor's coach in, to direct smothers
It’d be nice if someone offered me 4-5 million a year to lose repeatedly, but that’s more likely than taking someone off Baylor’s staff.

Kid had a offer from Ohio State. That shows he has some promise.

Aside from that final interception (which may have been the receiver making the wrong read), he played great for a first start. If the special teams hadn't messed up, Nebraska may have been tied and driving for a game winning field goal in the final two minutes.
Game winning field goal? Brett Maher left years ago. I miss those days.

Unless he ran the wrong play, the safety was all on Frost. Who asks a freshman QB starting his first game to spin around twice, doing all sorts of unnecessarily complicated misdirection, while standing in his own end zone, with the nation's worst offensive line?

I'd also like to hear what actually happened on the final INT. Clearly the WR did not run the correct route. So either the WR read something wrong or Smothers did. At best I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition.

Overall Smothers proved that he's AM's equal if nothing else. Which begs the question why Martinez wasn't pulled when he was making the worst of his mistakes.

Smothers is not the answer, slightly better than McCaffery.
I'm not saying he's the answer.....what I am saying is I think he did a lot better than I thought he would..

I thought he was going to be a deer in the headlights

I still want to get joe montana and tom brady in the transfer portal, if we are still going to be pass happy next year.

Reactions: zrob and cornwoman
The blame lays with Frost. He has had 4 years to get his guys and his system in place. It is his job to get players ready to play in games like this. I don’t know if LS is the answer or not. Not going to judge him on 1 game.
A lot of players did not play. I can't overstate the importance of JoJo not playing has had on the defense. The missed tackles by Reimer where drives would have been stopped. Even some plays in the backfield that Iowa was able to avoid losing yardage.

There is one thing that is super clear to me..

Way too much is asked of the QB position in Frost's offense.

When you look at the stats, the QB is once again the leading rusher, with nearly twice as many carries as the RB.

This offense with all it's reads and what not is probably why. You end up placing all the offense on 1 guy, with a few others only marginally involved.

When you look at the stats, the QB is once again the leading rusher, with nearly twice as many carries as the RB.

This offense with all it's reads and what not is probably why. You end up placing all the offense on 1 guy, with a few others only marginally involved.
amen

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Exactly. Why would any decent RB want to play for Frost?

A lot of players did not play. I can't overstate the importance of JoJo not playing has had on the defense. The missed tackles by Reimer where drives would have been stopped. Even some plays in the backfield that Iowa was able to avoid losing yardage.

Danniels being out hurt even more than JoJo. He really is the heart and soul of the run defense.

The roster is not good enough to overcome that slim a margin for error. Basically unless the QB plays perfectly, the offense has nothing else going for them.

I have no idea on whether Logan Smothers is/isn't the guy going forward after one game. I do think he played well for the 1st three quarters but then the team as a whole collapsed in the 4th quarter. It's so disappointing.

it' the guys 1st game..against a decent iowa defense...

martinez is a 4 year starter....

context peoples

compare Smothers first start with nearly 2 years of practice under his belt with AMs first start in 2018 with basically just a fall camp

• Haha
We learned today that the problems on offense are certainly not just the QB. It starts at the top. 2022 won’t be any different. Frost can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

there's a reason why a dr. tom Nebraska running game always said 4th quarter...
let this wisdom be spread to the husker nation again

The roster is not good enough to overcome that slim a margin for error. Basically unless the QB plays perfectly, the offense has nothing else going for them.

I have no idea on whether Logan Smothers is/isn't the guy going forward after one game. I do think he played well for the 1st three quarters but then the team as a whole collapsed in the 4th quarter. It's so disappointing.
Yeah, it's too early to tell about LS.

The mental makeup of the team isn't going to change on a dime. It's going to take time to wash that stench off, and if AM returns, it just prolongs things by another year.

As to Football IQ.. LS is way ahead of AM already, so I think he can be more successful, but having the leadership to change the mentality on offense is going to be up to him to do, and a process. He is a coaches son, so that should be a big positive for him in how he approaches things once AM is out of the way.

You do realize Iowa was missing players as well right? When you put this much importance on one player, you are asking for trouble. No, in the end, it wasn't because Jo Jo wasn't in there, it was because they did make the interceptions when they had the chance, allowed too many yards on 1st down, still cannot tackle, and still cannot cover a TE coming across the middle and of course, no pass rush. So what has really changed?

Ok from the enemy’s perspective, I thought overall Smothers decision making was solid, His footwork and properly stepping into his throws was very good, I honestly wasn't expecting him to look as comfortable in the passing game as he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT