ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Sallis

nwualum

Junior
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
The kid hardly plays against good teams. Got to believe he wants to go somewhere and play a lot. Hopefully it’s in Lincoln and not up the road a ways. I have no info. Just pure speculation

Watching him play he seems to be confused and not sure what to do. I don’t know if it just me but he seems slower compared to the other Zags gurads.

he's the backup PG. brings it up, passes it, and gets out of the way. Kind of sad honestly. Capable of so much more, but he's clearly lost a lot of confidence in his offensive game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The kid hardly plays against good teams. Got to believe he wants to go somewhere and play a lot. Hopefully it’s in Lincoln and not up the road a ways. I have no info. Just pure speculation
I’d love him to come home

I highly doubt he will transfer to Nebraska. We didnt even make his top 6 out of high school. Would think if he does transfer he'll go to Creighton sadly.

Reactions: TBONE27 and HuskerO
I bet he would start. He replaces scheierman.
He’s not that type of player though, he lives and dies beyond the arc, Scheierman will hit the boards, Hunter not so much. IMO, HS is tweener who’s not as good a shooter from 3 than others on his team.

Reactions: bdtangeman12
I remember saying on this board that he wouldn't do much his first couple years in college, that Chuckie would be much more of an impact player....and people laughed and said Sallis was going to be one-and-done.

Sallis was one of the most overrated 5-star basketball recruits I've ever seen. He won't even sniff the D-League. Skinny 6'5 dudes who shoot 25% from 3 are not in high demand.

he's the backup PG. brings it up, passes it, and gets out of the way. Kind of sad honestly. Capable of so much more, but he's clearly lost a lot of confidence in his offensive game.
I didn't see the game, but when I read that he looked hesitant, confused or lost, that's the first thing that popped into my mind. The kid has lost confidence. He does seem to be a great candidate to transfer and try to reset his career, but he would be more likely to go to Creighton than Nebraska. Five star recruit or not, I'm not sure Nebraska tried to recruit Hunter very hard.

Don't think they ever had a shot and why would they. Hunter could have gone anywhere he wanted.

I remember saying on this board that he wouldn't do much his first couple years in college, that Chuckie would be much more of an impact player....and people laughed and said Sallis was going to be one-and-done.

Sallis was one of the most overrated 5-star basketball recruits I've ever seen. He won't even sniff the D-League. Skinny 6'5 dudes who shoot 25% from 3 are not in high demand.

Hunter was really good in high school - a much better scorer and shooter than chuckie was. The interesting thing is that he played no D in high school and now that's basically all he does.

Hunter was really good in high school - a much better scorer and shooter than chuckie was. The interesting thing is that he played no D in high school and now that's basically all he does.

He was really good by Nebraska High School Basketball standards. He was nowhere near 5-star talent, though. Those are usually the 1-and-Done guys. With as skinny as he was, it was pretty clear that he was not close to being NBA ready, let alone a Lottery Pick.

I did expect him to be better than he has been, though. He's only averaged 4 points per game playing in a very weak mid-major conference, and shooting 26% from 3. I expected him to at least be a double-digit scorer in the WCC. If he struggles this much in a terrible conference, I don't see why people think he would be a star in the Big Ten or Big East.

Five star recruit or not, I'm not sure Nebraska tried to recruit Hunter very hard.
I remember seeing Fred and Matty A. at the Heartland Hoops Classic watching Sallis play like 4 years ago. I think Nebraska had a game earlier in the day so they weren't there all afternoon, but I know GI, Aurora and Bell West all played that day. I was thinking, oh my gawd, they're not even recruiting Scheierman, we "might" get Traudt (didn't) and we're not gonna get ANY of these guys from Bell West or Millard North! Makes me sick to think that our state has been loaded with talent the last few years and we didn't sniff any of it.

Forget Sallis or Chuckie, but what would Nebraska have looked like this year with Scheierman, Griesel, Frankie Fidler, Max Murrell, etc.

I think the thinking is he just needs a reset. They don't let him even try to do anything at zaga.

I can think of lots of guys that didn't do shit at one school, transfer, and then are really good players at their new school despite the competition level not really changing.

Terran Pettaway is one. Jack Nunge is another. Alex O'Connell too.

I think the thinking is he just needs a reset. They don't let him even try to do anything at zaga.

I can think of lots of guys that didn't do shit at one school, transfer, and then are really good players at their new school despite the competition level not really changing.

Terran Pettaway is one. Jack Nunge is another. Alex O'Connell too.
Yeah, sometimes when you are "broken" in one spot, you just need to get out and play somewhere else.
He may never be a 15/5/5 type guy but he can probably still do better/more than what he is doing now.

Reactions: cubsker and nwualum
Before we call the kid broken, can we all agree that he is playing behind a couple seniors and a junior at his position on what is one of the best programs in the nation.
He's gonna be great. He wouldn't be getting minutes as a sophomore in a postseason game for natty contender Gonzaga if Few didn't have big plans for him.

I highly doubt that Sallis goes to either Creighton or Nebraska. More likely another blue-blood program, like Kentucky or UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT