ADVERTISEMENT

Hughes out? Ok. Read? Why not

We said Riley would never fire his Oregon State cronies (Banker, Read, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh Most likely, Hughes will be replaced by another guy that Riley worked with at Oregon State.

I hope not if that is the case.

I wonder if we were missing a player from 2014 that might have influenced those statistics : )

There is the point right there. If special teams only work when you have a special player( DPE ) then why pay for a special teams coach that can only coach special teams and is not a great recruiter? That's why it's hard for some to justify Read taking up a coaching spot when that usually is a position that can be handled by a regular assitant splitting duities. For example Alabama ST coach is also their tight ends coach.

Reactions: scarletred
There is the point right there. If special teams only work when you have a special player( DPE ) then why pay for a special teams coach that can only coach special teams and is not a great recruiter? That's why it's hard for some to justify Read taking up a coaching spot when that usually is a position that can be handled by a regular assitant splitting duities. For example Alabama ST coach is also their tight ends coach.
church--- perfectly said! That's my point

Lol @ high level Texas high school football..Well then by all means you're an expert
Simply responding to "I don't know intricacies of football". Btw I don't know where u live but if u saw high classification Texas ball in Dallas-Ft. Worth region u would not be making wisecracks .

Simply responding to "I don't know intricacies of football". Btw I don't know where u live but if u saw high classification Texas ball in Dallas-Ft. Worth region u would not be making wisecracks .
Played Texas high school football, coached Texas high school football, dad coached high school football, brother coaches high school football, uncle coaches Texas high school football. Just because you said you played "high level Texas high school football" doesn't mean you're an expert.

Reactions: ctscts
You think every player who played at SLC or Allen is qualified as an expert in football?

So 4.6.3, Answer me this, Read's contract is up after 2016. Riley's is not. Does NU keep his salary the same? Cause if so, then it's not MR "taking a pay cut to help a buddy". His salary is already locked in, correct? Also your explanation on what he does in recruiting made me laugh my ass off. Reminded me of office space and the whole "he's a people person" talk... But here's the million dollar question, why was Bruce hated in Oregon, in Dallas, and pretty much every place he's coached... Waiting for your excuse, ah DPE was injured, ah we didn't have enough depth at LB to have good special teams. Keep swimming in BS

Reactions: scarletred
Well...many of the folks in your camp suggested Riley would never make any changes. That line of thinking has been proven incorrect.
Absolutely. I was one of those people. The firing of Hank was a shock to me. Problem is, HH was actually a good coach. Just not very well liked. Do you honestly believe Riley would fire a corvallis mafia guy? HH was a stranger. How come he didn't fire Davis or Bruce?

You think every player who played at SLC or Allen is qualified as an expert in football?

So let me get this straight-- some dude who I don't know says I don't know intricacies of football because I say why not consider Read not pulling his weight after letting go of Hughes. I reply that I played football for a long time in a tough league and that I know football. U come on and say just because u play doesn't make someone an expert, but you are qualified to determine who is or not an "expert" (YOUR term not mine) because you played and EVERY family member has? Would not agree someone that plays and practices(hours upon hours) the trumpet for greater than 10years is qualified to tell his opinion on trumpet play more than an adult who has never even attempted? Love to hear your qualifications/definition for an "expert"? And yes I would consider anyone playing for southlake or Allen or skyline for that matter to be more of an "expert" than someone who has never played because I know to play at their level (saw trinity vs. Allen last year) has put in the hours upon hours of study and physical work to be competent in football than Joe blow public that has never been popped.

Absolutely. I was one of those people. The firing of Hank was a shock to me. Problem is, HH was actually a good coach. Just not very well liked. Do you honestly believe Riley would fire a corvallis mafia guy? HH was a stranger. How come he didn't fire Davis or Bruce?
He fired Hank because he is a poor recruiter, MR had to take over some of his assigned prospects because HH couldn't get traction.

So let me get this straight-- some dude who I don't know says I don't know intricacies of football because I say why not consider Read not pulling his weight after letting go of Hughes. I reply that I played football for a long time in a tough league and that I know football. U come on and say just because u play doesn't make someone an expert, but you are qualified to determine who is or not an "expert" (YOUR term not mine) because you played and EVERY family member has? Would not agree someone that plays and practices(hours upon hours) the trumpet for greater than 10years is qualified to tell his opinion on trumpet play more than an adult who has never even attempted? Love to hear your qualifications/definition for an "expert"? And yes I would consider anyone playing for southlake or Allen or skyline for that matter to be more of an "expert" than someone who has never played because I know to play at their level (saw trinity vs. Allen last year) has put in the hours upon hours of study and physical work to be competent in football than Joe blow public that has never been popped.
I'm saying that just because you claim to have played in a tough high school "league" doesn't mean you know the intricacies of football. You have to admit that citing your playing high level Texas high school football as proving your football knowledge is a little silly. Think about some of the guys that were on your own team..you have to admit not everybody on a football team is the brightest bulb.

Plus now I'm starting to doubt you played public Texas high school football bc we don't have leagues. We have districts. Which change every two years. It's not like other states that have set leagues. I don't know anybody in TX HS FB that would refer to it as a league. And I know a lot of guys down there.
Anyways I suppose you may know a ton and really I'm just busting your balls. Sorry.

Played Texas high school football, coached Texas high school football, dad coached high school football, brother coaches high school football, uncle coaches Texas high school football. Just because you said you played "high level Texas high school football" doesn't mean you're an expert.

You sound like Ms. Veto from My Cousin Vinny.

I'm saying that just because you claim to have played in a tough high school "league" doesn't mean you know the intricacies of football. You have to admit that citing your playing high level Texas high school football as proving your football knowledge is a little silly. Think about some of the guys that were on your own team..you have to admit not everybody on a football team is the brightest bulb.

Plus now I'm starting to doubt you played public Texas high school football bc we don't have leagues. We have districts. Which change every two years. It's not like other states that have set leagues. I don't know anybody in TX HS FB that would refer to it as a league. And I know a lot of guys down there.
Anyways I suppose you may know a ton and really I'm just busting your balls. Sorry.

OMG- league/district/ 6a to 5a to 4a to division1 to div2-- hell even coaches around here don't know who is going to be in their district/league before the year, Jesus are u a lawyer?-- and yes I would say my meathead teammates know more about intricacies of football than my wife or sister. Define what makes a football expert, expert?

He fired Hank because he is a poor recruiter, MR had to take over some of his assigned prospects because HH couldn't get traction.
Then I am 100% behind Coach Riley on this decision -- Recruiting is part of the job if a coach cannot recruit then they should not be on the staff

Freaking hell.

Wow, this is why we need a dislike button. What a pile of hot garbage.

Reactions: bootleg11
Wow, this is why we need a dislike button. What a pile of hot garbage.

What do you actually expect from him? He doesn't like MR in the least and twists any event to support his bias. He was most likely complaining about the staff's inability to recruit a DT this year and that MR wouldn't fire staff that was not getting it done. When it doesn't fit his narrative he just changes the narrative. We should label spinner and a handful of others (you know who they are) the Insane Clown Posse. Wait that name has been taken...

Reactions: headcard
What do you actually expect from him? He doesn't like MR in the least and twists any event to support his bias. He was most likely complaining about the staff's inability to recruit a DT this year and that MR wouldn't fire staff that was not getting it done. When it doesn't fit his narrative he just changes the narrative. We should label spinner and a handful of others (you know who they are) the Insane Clown Posse. Wait that name has been taken...

Ok let me get this straight. If we don't blindly support everything that MR does it means we don't like him as our coach and we are just a bunch of idiots? Let me make it very clear so you will understand. I like MR as our coach. I don't like some of his hiring decisions. Go fish!

Ok let me get this straight. If we don't blindly support everything that MR does it means we don't like him as our coach and we are just a bunch of idiots? Let me make it very clear so you will understand. I like MR as our coach. I don't like some of his hiring decisions. Go fish!
I think boxes made it clear. When someone is constantly changing their narrative so they can continue to complain about HCMR at any and every turn, then that someone is an idiot.

Reactions: bigboxes
I think boxes made it clear. When someone is constantly changing their narrative so they can continue to complain about HCMR at any and every turn, then that someone is an idiot.

Pretty sure I have never liked this hire. Nebraska is the only P5 school to have a designated STs coach. Pretty sure guys like you who blindly trust everything that the head coach of Nebraska does have been proven blind over and over again in the last 15 years. Now that is what I call an idiot.

Pretty sure I have never liked this hire. Nebraska is the only P5 school to have a designated STs coach. Pretty sure guys like you who blindly trust everything that the head coach of Nebraska does have been proven blind over and over again in the last 15 years. Now that is what I call an idiot.

To this poster and all the posters like him. Let us know when Coach Riley hires you to advise him on his future hires, with all your vast knowledge. Until then nobody gives a shit what you think, most specifically Riley and the U of N. It's his job on the line not yours, so he'll have ST coach if that's what he wants.

118099-some-people-without-brains-do-rm0z.gif

Reactions: HuskerO
To this poster and all the posters like him. Let us know when Coach Riley hires you to advise him on his future hires, with all your vast knowledge. Until then nobody gives a shit what you think, most specifically Riley and the U of N. It's his job on the line not yours, so he'll have ST coach if that's what he wants.

118099-some-people-without-brains-do-rm0z.gif

Bruce is that you? You sound like your normal everyday idiot. I forgot it was frowned upon on this board to question anything that coaches do because once you are hired here at Nebraska you are instantaneously a better coach, recruiter, and evaluator of coaches and talent. You sound so pissed that anyone could have a different opinion then you and all like you. It's like you are related to all these coaches and in your eyes they can do no wrong. This thread started out asking why not all the coaches are held to the same standard as the coach that just got fired, but for some the blinders are apparently on and not coming off.

Bruce is that you? You sound like your normal everyday idiot. I forgot it was frowned upon on this board to question anything that coaches do because once you are hired here at Nebraska you are instantaneously a better coach, recruiter, and evaluator of coaches and talent. You sound so pissed that anyone could have a different opinion then you and all like you. It's like you are related to all these coaches and in your eyes they can do no wrong. This thread started out asking why not all the coaches are held to the same standard as the coach that just got fired, but for some the blinders are apparently on and not coming off.

Exactly-- well said. Please give facts in responses to reasonable questions instead of the easy and lazy "you don't know (insert cuss word)".

I think the reason for the push back is simply this... How do you know the coaches are held to different standards? Just because some on here believe Read should be fired doesn't mean his remaining on staff is a sign that Riley isn't playing by the rules. You might be right... Maybe Riley does treat coaches differently. Or it is possible that Riley sees something that the rest of us don't see, which is why Read is still coaching.

For those suggesting Read brings nothing to the table, Riley obviously disagrees. Could it be what some are suggesting? Sure. But there could be other legitimate reasons for keeping him that some don't want to consider. And no, I'm not sure what those reasons might be. Just putting this out there.

I am a bit late to the discussion, but what position group (offense or defense) does not have an assigned coach because Nebraska has a full-time ST coach?

Hughes lived in the dorms! Do you think he got a freshmen roommate? This is like another re-hashed version of the Odd Couple.

I am a bit late to the discussion, but what position group (offense or defense) does not have an assigned coach because Nebraska has a full-time ST coach?

Thompson is a graduate assistant responsible for TE's... Nebraska is only school in ncaa with ST coach whose sole duty is that. Every other school has position coach (RB and ST).

It's a lot like moving the goal posts when it comes to records and recruiting. To be fine with 6-7 and #25 recruiting is laughable.

It's a lot like moving the goal posts when it comes to records and recruiting. To be fine with 6-7 and #25 recruiting is laughable.

Yep-- amazing-- and for the record I could not stand Pelini either (I told bolievers if he is such a great coach we'll see what his next job is-- nuff said on that). I like Riley the man but as a football coach not impressed. Bill Parcells once said "You ARE what your record says you are"- in this case what does his record say?

I have not seen one poster be fine with a 6-7 record, not one. Several have been fine with being #25 in recruiting standings. To each his own but if we want to beat the big boys we need achieve top ten finishes in recruiting.

I have not seen one poster be fine with a 6-7 record, not one. Several have been fine with being #25 in recruiting standings. To each his own but if we want to beat the big boys we need achieve top ten finishes in recruiting.
I thought you were here a lot. 6-7 is fine because ...

Riley didn't have his guys.
We improved late.
It was a fluke.
Tommy is about done playing...
And plenty of other reasons why people were fine with 6-7.

Seriously just stop with that. Can you show any quote from anyone who is fine with either of those? I am certain eceryone wanted more wins and better recruiting.

Reactions: timnsun
I thought you were here a lot. 6-7 is fine because ...

Riley didn't have his guys.
We improved late.
It was a fluke.
Tommy is about done playing...
And plenty of other reasons why people were fine with 6-7.

As I stated not one poster said " I am fine with a 6-7 record, not one. " If there are some please link their posts and I will stand corrected.I must have missed all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT