ADVERTISEMENT

Hughes out? Ok. Read? Why not

What's false and what have I backed off of Archie?

You claimed folks that said Read was doing good with special teams supported the Hughes hire. I'm active in this thread along those lines so I read the comment as though it was directed at me.

You claimed folks that said Read was doing good with special teams supported the Hughes hire. I'm active in this thread along those lines so I read the comment as though it was directed at me.

Your right I should have clarified Archie as that was not directed at you as I have read your post in other threads and I know a little bit on where you stand. My bad

I just hope one day that you and your band of merry men are not making names up for Riley and his staff. That seems to be the pattern - people who ring the alarm bell are told they are idiots then a couple of years later the same people who called them idiots are now saying I knew it all along.
You are assuming here there are two camps - the first "rings the alarm bell" and the second calls people "idiots" who don't blindly love the new staff, then eventually sees the light and makes up names for the staff they knew all along about.

Would you be willing to admit there is a third camp who might have reservations about this or that of a new staff, but supports them, gives them a chance for a few years, and decides where to go from there?

I have no problem admitting I was all for Bo for the first few years. I thought he would bring some fire and old-fashioned football back to NU. I have no problem admitting I was all for Callahan the first couple years since I looked forward to his recruiting and felt rules changes required using the forward pass more. I admit after their on and off-the-field performance was not good I turned on them and called them names. But I did not say I knew it all along. I really wanted both guys to succeed, just as I want HCMR to succeed. I guess what bugs me is people who use any bit of information possible to not like the hire before the guy is even given a chance (two or three years). The only thing I can conclude for why someone would do that is they either 1. Disliked Bo getting fired, or 2. Expected us to hire Meyer, Saban, Miles, or Frost.

I see a lot of people here say "just because I don't like Riley doesn't mean I liked Bo." They never take it further and tell us exactly what they did want.

I just hope one day that you and your band of merry men are not making names up for Riley and his staff. That seems to be the pattern - people who ring the alarm bell are told they are idiots then a couple of years later the same people who called them idiots are now saying I knew it all along.

Back to Read - I could care less about the money we have it - I do care that an assistant coach pulls his weight. Does not anyone else find it strange with this guy that he has never been anything else than a st coach? His goal in his chosen profession is to be a ST coach which at many schools is a part-time position. Now it may make sense if he was some slam dunk recruiter, but Read has never been anything but below average in this area either.

So tell me if Riley is pursuing titles as he is stating does this guy fit the mold
Sno, if Riley is not pursuing titles as you suggest, why fire a friend in Hughes? Riley must see something in Read the rest of us don't see. Otherwise Read would be gone as well. It is presumptuous to claim Read brings nothing to the table. Are you behind the scenes? Is Keithley or Little a? No more than any other fan is, I would imagine. Just because you see no value in Read doesn't mean there is no value.

We can all question the hire. That's fair game. But I think there is enough evidence to suggest Riley does care about winning, and not that he just wanted a safe landing spot for he and his boys to make more money.

Reactions: Crushinator
Sno, if Riley is not pursuing titles as you suggest, why fire a friend in Hughes? Riley must see something in Read the rest of us don't see. Otherwise Read would be gone as well. It is presumptuous to claim Read brings nothing to the table. Are you behind the scenes? Is Keithley or Little a? No more than any other fan is, I would imagine. Just because you see no value in Read doesn't mean there is no value.

We can all question the hire. That's fair game. But I think there is enough evidence to suggest Riley does care about winning, and not that he just wanted a safe landing spot for he and his boys to make more money.

The juice is not worth the squeeze my friend. We have all seen this a lot in the past 15 years. I don't know why some think we are off in thinking the way we do as we have been proven right more then wrong.

The juice is not worth the squeeze my friend. We have all seen this a lot in the past 15 years. I don't know why some think we are off in thinking the way we do as we have been proven right more then wrong.
Then why not fire Read? What is the answer to that question? Riley had no trouble pulling the plug on Hughes who wasn't getting it done... Why not Read? Curious to know what people think...

Reactions: little a

Well...many of the folks in your camp suggested Riley would never make any changes. That line of thinking has been proven incorrect.

Then why not fire Read? What is the answer to that question? Riley had no trouble pulling the plug on Hughes who wasn't getting it done... Why not Read? Curious to know what people think...

The same reason Bill didn't Fire Coz or Bo would not fire some of his assistants. It's the Buddy program.

Well...many of the folks in your camp suggested Riley would never make any changes. That line of thinking has been proven incorrect.

Archie hank was basically hired by banker. MR really had no connection to him except through Banker.

Archie hank was basically hired by banker. MR really had no connection to him except through Banker.
I thought I had read in one of these threads that Riley and Hughes were friends that hadn't coached together. If true he had no trouble firing his friend.

Of course maybe I read wrong...

I thought I had read in one of these threads that Riley and Hughes were friends that hadn't coached together. If true he had no trouble firing his friend.

Of course maybe I read wrong...

Pretty sure I read this somewhere when hank was hired and was mentioned I believe in other threads as well.

But he did not hit all the FG's he missed 2 with one being blocked and you are correct since we won by a TD and 2 pt conversion each of those misses could have cost us the game
I thought you didn't do the "What if?" game. Well we we were close to winning all but one of the games we lost. But that doesn't fit your narrative. LOL

Meaning his buddies are not held to the same coaching and recruting standard as other coaches. For example one Hank Hugh's.
What I had posted earlier was that they were buddies… So wouldn't Hughes be afforded that same courtesy as the rest of the coaches?

What I had posted earlier was that they were buddies… So wouldn't Hughes be afforded that same courtesy as the rest of the coaches?

And I told you that Hank was a Banker higher. Meaning Mark Banker told MR that Hank was the guy he wanted to coach the Dline. Meaning no connection to MR and easier to fire after 1 year.

And I told you that Hank was a Banker higher. Meaning Mark Banker told MR that Hank was the guy he wanted to coach the Dline. Meaning no connection to MR and easier to fire after 1 year.
I understand that. Completely. But what I stated was that Riley and Hughes were friends already. It wasn't as if Riley didn't know Hughes beforehand. Hank and Mike were friends is what I had read. And he had no trouble firing his friend.

Again, maybe I misread. But you are focusing on the banker connection while I am focusing on the friendship between Mike and Hank. See where I'm coming from?

I thought you didn't do the "What if?" game. Well we we were close to winning all but one of the games we lost. But that doesn't fit your narrative. LOL
The point was that there were missed FG's including a block I do not see that as exceptional special teams play

Its great that we were in every game however being in a game with Purdue and Illinois is not exactly an accomplishment. I just hope we are in the game with Oregon and Ohio State

The point was that there were missed FG's including a block I do not see that as exceptional special teams play

Its great that we were in every game however being in a game with Purdue and Illinois is not exactly an accomplishment. I just hope we are in the game with Oregon and Ohio State
No, you don't. If you were the least bit honest you would admit you want us to lose every game in blowout fashion.

I understand that. Completely. But what I stated was that Riley and Hughes were friends already. It wasn't as if Riley didn't know Hughes beforehand. Hank and Mike were friends is what I had read. And he had no trouble firing his friend.

Again, maybe I misread. But you are focusing on the banker connection while I am focusing on the friendship between Mike and Hank. See where I'm coming from?

Sorry timsun I think maybe I misread what you were trying to say also. All I will say I didn't think there was any connection (friendship) between MR and Hank Hugh's before he was hired. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before.

Reactions: timnsun
Sorry timsun I think maybe I misread what you were trying to say also. All I will say I didn't think there was any connection (friendship) between MR and Hank Hugh's before he was hired. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before.
Keithley, I'm in the same boat. I could easily be wrong as well. If there wasn't a prior friendship I see your point clearly as well.

Absolutely true. I'm simply noting he had no problem making changes.
The same reason Bill didn't Fire Coz or Bo would not fire some of his assistants. It's the Buddy program.
I notice someone didn't include the very improved placekicking and longsnapping game throughout the year. And yes little d, look at the damn roster and then simply look at film. If you think we had the bodies needed to excel at the return game, you are more clueless than you have already proven.

Wow-- did u just go personal attack there calling me "little d"? Bruce Read is this you or are u a little too close to the action here. The facts are the facts; just as I said Pelini would not get a sniff at a power 5 school as a head coach if Bruce Read was fired tomorrow he would not be working college football (power 5). Oh yea I did notice deep snapping was "strong" this year(haha). All in all I just asked if people are quick to say Hughes wasn't pulling his weight how about Read?

I notice someone didn't include the very improved placekicking and longsnapping game throughout the year. And yes little d, look at the damn roster and then simply look at film. If you think we had the bodies needed to excel at the return game, you are more clueless than you have already proven.

Dude doesn't recruit (never hear his name mentioned- except giving scholly to punter, that's a whole other thread), special teams over past year and career is VERY MEH and he makes A LOT of money. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why people say Riley has courage letting Hughes go but a guy like Read gets a pass?

Ridiculous post

Ridiculous post

Ok I have my own opinions on Read as I have stated in this thread. I am not gonna say everything little is saying is right, I am not gonna say I'm right, but if you are gonna quote his post and call his views ridiculous at least give him the reasons why you believe this.

Are you referring to the short field goals caused by our problems in the red zone? you are really giving him credit for a 30 yard FG. If so we also had two missed FG in a game we won by 8 points and had the one to ice the game blocked
Doesn't get credit for made field goals but gets blamed for a kid jumping offside..got it

Reactions: Yossarian23
Spoken like someone that doesn't understand the intricacies of special teams.

Re: recruiting. Why would I? He was exclusive to ST and now it appears his role is expanding. His name has been mentioned with 2017 guys that are not ST.

Carry on.
Cant bring facts to the table = u don't know football or some sort of hothead personal attack!! That's my favorite excuse of all "u don't know football" FYI I played high level Texas high school football and my brother was a division 1 recruit. Please state facts about how Read is an unbelievable ST coach (feel free to include the stellar Oregon state special teams)- please no mentioning of deep snapping prowess or holders always holding laces out or the wedge was at perfect 30 degrees on short side of field on KOR.
Carry on

Back to Read - I could care less about the money we have it - I do care that an assistant coach pulls his weight. Does not anyone else find it strange with this guy that he has never been anything else than a st coach? His goal in his chosen profession is to be a ST coach which at many schools is a part-time position. Now it may make sense if he was some slam dunk recruiter, but Read has never been anything but below average in this area either.

So tell me if Riley is pursuing titles as he is stating does this guy fit the mold
I don't find that strange at all

Cant bring facts to the table = u don't know football or some sort of hothead personal attack!! That's my favorite excuse of all "u don't know football" FYI I played high level Texas high school football and my brother was a division 1 recruit. Please state facts about how Read is an unbelievable ST coach (feel free to include the stellar Oregon state special teams)- please no mentioning of deep snapping prowess or holders always holding laces out or the wedge was at perfect 30 degrees on short side of field on KOR.
Carry on
Lol @ high level Texas high school football..Well then by all means you're an expert

Reactions: Husker Todd
We were worse in 2015 than 2014 in nearly every special teams statistical category. But carry on...

Reactions: keithleyb

We said Riley would never fire his Oregon State cronies (Banker, Read, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh). Hughes and Riley never worked together before. They were not close friends. Most likely, Hughes will be replaced by another guy that Riley worked with at Oregon State.

Riley firing Hughes is like when Pelini fired Watson. Watson was not won of Bo's Youngstown cronies, so he had no trouble firing him to promote one of his Youngstown buddies (Beck).

We were worse in 2015 than 2014 in nearly every special teams statistical category. But carry on...

Losing DPE for the majority of the season returning punts is why weren't better in that category in 2015.

Ya think.

Special teams sucked last year, but I thought it was mostly due to injuries.

FYI, You can't have an objective discussion with certain people on this board.. some of which are big Riley glue sniffers.. and if there is a thread about firing the ST coach, those people are gonna clench their cheeks pretty hard.. so good luck with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT