ADVERTISEMENT

Hughes out? Ok. Read? Why not

little a

Senior
Jul 4, 2001
Dude doesn't recruit (never hear his name mentioned- except giving scholly to punter, that's a whole other thread), special teams over past year and career is VERY MEH and he makes A LOT of money. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why people say Riley has courage letting Hughes go but a guy like Read gets a pass?

He does recruit and his name has already shown up with a number of 2017 guys indicating his role is expanding out of ST. Special teams was strong last year. Nobody should give one shit about how much he makes. It doesn't matter.

I also don't understand the infatuation with his salary. Who gives a shit how much he makes. It's not like his salary is taking away from the other coaches.

He does recruit and his name has already shown up with a number of 2017 guys indicating his role is expanding out of ST. Special teams was strong last year. Nobody should give one shit about how much he makes. It doesn't matter.

Nebraska special teams "strong"??
Kickoff return rank-109
Punt return rank-87
Punt-65
That's DAMN strong bro! Haha

My point is if your going have a ST coach he should be one hell of a coach AND recruiter-- noticed you didn't mention specifics on recruits brought by him-- crickets

Bama pays their ST coach a similar amount, but he also has some additional responsibilities (TE?).

Also, Bama has different horses than NU, on ST, so his presence, both physically and financially, appear more warranted.

He is the "advance" recruiter on staff. He identifies the next class, as recruiting is all about building relationships. The return game was rough this year. That is what happens when you have barely enough serviceable linebacker types to start an 8-man team. I think it is hilarious how much drama surrounds his salary. It is the way Riley set it up. You all sound like scorned lovers who want the next girlfriend to return the favor.

RILEY should just attach a bunch made up titles to his position .... Head of advance recruiting, in state walk on director, quality director for this or that in order to passify the mouth breathers[/QUOTE

Good one-- my favorite excuse is not enough linebackers-- excuses are for losers. And for the record I stated my main reason for not liking Read is production!! Look at the man's special team stats

RILEY should just attach a of bunch made up titles to his position .... Head of advance recruiting, in state walk on director, quality director for this or that in order to pacify the mouth breathers

* Director of Media Relations (Reads Tank Macnamara in the mornings).
* Communications Director (Has flip phone and dial-up connection at home).
* Director of Internal Affairs (Makes sure Play Station wireless controller batteries are changed monthly).
* Director of Dietetics (Eats a steak on Tuesdays).
* Director of Human Performance (Smokes a grit each morning with his 5-Hour Energy).
* Transportation Director (Car pools every other Wednesday).

Reactions: nudan92 and jlb321
It all comes down to weather or not you are comfortable with a designated ST coach. If you are then there is no reason to bag on Banker, he is a quality special teams coach. If you don't like the idea of having a ST coach, I get that too, as most schools get by without a full-time ST coach.

I notice someone didn't include the very improved placekicking and longsnapping game throughout the year. And yes little d, look at the damn roster and then simply look at film. If you think we had the bodies needed to excel at the return game, you are more clueless than you have already proven.

Kickoff return rank-109
Punt return rank-87
Punt-65

My point is if your going have a ST coach he should be one hell of a coach AND recruiter-- noticed you didn't mention specifics on recruits brought by him-- crickets
And IIRC, NU jumped offside twice on extra points vs UCLA. One of those actually gave UCLA a second chance at an extra point after their award winning kicker had botched the first kick. That's the sort of thing that should never happen.

And IIRC, NU jumped offside twice on extra points vs UCLA. One of those actually gave UCLA a second chance at an extra point after their award winning kicker had botched the first kick. That's the sort of thing that should never happen.
Yea I can't believe Read was coaching them to jump offsides like that in the last game of the year. Weird that he changed up to the "jump offsides" gameplan just for the bowl game.

Chalk it up to being aggressive. I mean how often do college kickers miss EPs? It's worth the risk trying to time it IMO.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I think Read is very good. The DPE injury really hurt the returns, just look what he did against Minny, and our kicking game was good, should be great this year.

Again the discussion really comes down to your personal opinion on weather or not it is justifiable to have a full-time special teams coach. If so, Read is pretty darn good, impo.

Last edited:
Kickoff return rank-109
Punt return rank-87
Punt-65

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand the intricacies of special teams.

Re: recruiting. Why would I? He was exclusive to ST and now it appears his role is expanding. His name has been mentioned with 2017 guys that are not ST.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Chalk it up to being aggressive. I mean how often do college kickers miss EPs? It's worth the risk trying to time it IMO.
how often do you block an extra point - almost never better chance the guy misses it. For having a dedicated special teams coach that does not coach another position our ST were mediocre at best

Southern Miss. Any other stupid questions?
Are you referring to the short field goals caused by our problems in the red zone? you are really giving him credit for a 30 yard FG. If so we also had two missed FG in a game we won by 8 points and had the one to ice the game blocked

Last edited:
Are you referring to the short field goals caused by our problems in the red zone? you are really giving him credit for a 30 yard FG. If so we also had two missed FG in a game we won by 8 points and had the one to ice the game blocked
No. You asked for a game that special teams helped us win. Not the offense failing to punch it in. I guarantee you bloners would be bitching had he not hit all those fg's. But according to you guys, you should just let the other teams kick without presure.... because they always make them. Nevemind that so many of our games were so tight and a single poin made a huge difference.

Reactions: Yossarian23
But he did not hit all the FG's he missed 2 with one being blocked and you are correct since we won by a TD and 2 pt conversion each of those misses could have cost us the game

Dude doesn't recruit (never hear his name mentioned- except giving scholly to punter, that's a whole other thread), special teams over past year and career is VERY MEH and he makes A LOT of money. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why people say Riley has courage letting Hughes go but a guy like Read gets a pass?
Punter got better. Kicker got waaaaaaay better. LS was way better. DPE hurt. No LB depth for kick coverage. He was fine.

But he did not hit all the FG's he missed 2 with one being blocked and you are correct since we won by a TD and 2 pt conversion each of those misses could have cost us the game
Did they? Coulda woulda shoulda. I know you hope we lose all games, but he made the kicks he needed to, to win the game. Stop backpedaling before you fall and split your head open. The gray matter inside may leak out. But don'r worry, nobody will notice much difference if it does.

LOL - you are one weird dude I will give you that - we had a FG attempt blocked in a game where are up by one score not a good thing - and you are using that game as an example of great special teams coaching ?

If Read went on the open market with his coaching talents - I am not sure a HS team would hire him, he certainly would never find another job in the college ranks let alone one that pays him 450,000 a year

LOL - you are one weird dude I will give you that - we had a FG attempt blocked in a game where are up by one score not a good thing - and you are using that game as an example of great special teams coaching ?

If Read went on the open market with his coaching talents - I am not sure a HS team would hire him, he certainly would never find another job in the college ranks let alone one that pays him 450,000 a year

More bullshit about his salary.

Same blowhards talking about how good Read is are the same ones that thought Hank Hugh's was a great hire! For what read does best he should not have a coaching position, but should have a place on the staff in a administrative position, but he can still coach special teams.

Same blowhards talking about how good Read is are the same ones that thought Hank Hugh's was a great hire! For what read does best he should not have a coaching position, but should have a place on the staff in a administrative position, but he can still coach special teams.

False. Show me something to support your claim. You don't have it because it didn't happen.

I'm stating the facts. ST was solid last year. His role in recruiting appears to be expanding. His salary doesn't matter. Those are facts.

If Riley moves him into the AD in some capacity I'll support him.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Laughing at the fact that you think that this is possible.
This thread has now officially become one of my favorites. The bloners are just plain losing it now. Sad part is some people will actually think that post is based in reality!

Kickoff return rank-109
Punt return rank-87
Punt-65

A healthy DPE makes those stats look a lot different. Who on the current roster would you put back there to make it better? They tried different several different options.
Kickoff return rank-109
Punt return rank-87
Punt-65

What is funny is people think that it is all right to have a coach just coach special teams and nothing else. Go look at all the other p5 programs and the special teams coach is always coaching another position, not holding MRs cord for his head set during games making sure he doesn't trip. This guy along with another coach on this staff were going to be fired at Oregon St., but now that they are at Nebraska they are suddenly great at what they do?

What is funny is people think that it is all right to have a coach just coach special teams and nothing else. Go look at all the other p5 programs and the special teams coach is always coaching another position, not holding MRs cord for his head set during games making sure he doesn't trip. This guy along with another coach on this staff were going to be fired at Oregon St., but now that they are at Nebraska they are suddenly great at what they do?

More bullshit about the past. This argument has been addressed a gazillion times.

And of course you have backed off your false claim. No surprise.

Coming from him, and the agenda it was to be expected. Maybe one day he will be a Husker fan again. Mouth-breathers loved the staff under Blo, no matter how many coordinators and assistants he went through.
I just hope one day that you and your band of merry men are not making names up for Riley and his staff. That seems to be the pattern - people who ring the alarm bell are told they are idiots then a couple of years later the same people who called them idiots are now saying I knew it all along.

Back to Read - I could care less about the money we have it - I do care that an assistant coach pulls his weight. Does not anyone else find it strange with this guy that he has never been anything else than a st coach? His goal in his chosen profession is to be a ST coach which at many schools is a part-time position. Now it may make sense if he was some slam dunk recruiter, but Read has never been anything but below average in this area either.

So tell me if Riley is pursuing titles as he is stating does this guy fit the mold

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT