ADVERTISEMENT

How long til bowls phase out?

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
Bowl games are still fun to watch, but seemingly anyone draftable on day one sits out anymore, and so many kids in the portalmakes me wonder how much longer CFB continues with bowls in the current format. Would like some national analysts_ to give a take on this phenomenal phenomenon.

I think if the retards who run college football ever get a clue in life, in general...they will make the whole season a systematic play off, where it's decided on the gridiron...not bi teams and such

Yeah I cant wait for everyone to sit this one out because muh future and muh money. Already happening. Should make watching a bowl fun. Not a championship year? Meh, F it. As a viewer it's well we're not going to win anything but this consolation bowl, so might as well wait till next year. Oh we wont win it all next year? Well might as well not watch any of it then. Just end them now. Its all about that chedda. I cant believe people are championing this garbage.

I think if the retards who run college football ever get a clue in life, in general...they will make the whole season a systematic play off, where it's decided on the gridiron...not bi teams and such
I don't even know who runs it anymore. There is no governing body to my knowledge right now.

Reactions: redwine65
Bowl games are still fun to watch, but seemingly anyone draftable on day one sits out anymore, and so many kids in the portalmakes me wonder how much longer CFB continues with bowls in the current format. Would like some national analysts_ to give a take on this phenomenal phenomenon.
Hopefully there’s enough TV revenue to keep them going. I LOVE the cross sectional games of average teams playing for little more than pride. THAT is college football. When guys give their all when they’ve got nothing to gain but bragging rights it leads to some GREAT entertainment. JMO

Shatel wrote a column about this yesterday, including some suggestions that may or may not be practical.

While it’s silly to me to complain that “there are too many bowl games” (no one is forced to watch or attend the games), they could certainly be improved upon.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Shatel wrote a column about this yesterday, including some suggestions that may or may not be practical.

While it’s silly to me to complain that “there are too many bowl games” (no one is forced to watch or attend the games), they could certainly be improved upon.
Man I’ve LOVED flipping on the TV to find random teams on that I haven’t watched all year. I got to see Rhule’s assistant coach TTech. I got to watch Lane melt down going on 4th downs in his own red zone. WTH?

The highest paying Bowl games not in the NY6

Citrus Bowl- $8,224,578
Alamo Bowl- $8,252,740
Holiday Bowl- $6,532,700
ReilaQuest- $6,400,000
TexasTax Bowl- $6,400,000
Cheezit- Bowl- $6,071,760
Music City Bowl- $ 5,700,000
Gator Bowl- $5,350,000
DukesMayo Bowl- $4,780,461
Liberty Bowl- $4,700,000
Sun Bowl- $ 4,550,000
Pinstripe Bowl- $ 4,400,000

I watch a lot of college football during the regular season, and enjoy the bowls when you get to 9-3 teams, but don’t get excited to watch a bunch of 6-6 teams play

Are there to many bowls? Maybe, but nonetheless I found myself glued to the boob tube for Arkansas-Kansas...along with my wife and her son, neither of whom are football fans, and we were all entertained....It was either that or Property Brothers....so I guess it just depends in what day you ask me if there are to many. This morning the answer is no. Haha.

I wished everyone eligible to play would play but that horse dun ran out of the barn a while ago.

The bowls create some interesting matchups.

Oregon v. North Carolina was a fun game.

Well, IMO, a 6-6 season being enough to be a bowl eligible kind of seems like a low bar (especially since two of those six wins are usually against non P5 patsies who are essentially coming in to get whipped just for the check). 8-4 to me seems like a more reasonable cut off.

Stop teams with 5-7 or 6-6 records from playing in these bowls it's time you need a winning record to participate. Maybe it means we need to see fewer bowl games and that may happen once they expand the playoffs. We also need to see teams like Nebraska become relevant again because the fans will spend the money to travel for bowl games.

Another thing that needs to happen is for the bowls to be played in warm weather climates giving fans and players some reward to travel and enjoy the warmth of the month of December in Florida, SoCal, Arizona. Who really wants pay money to freeze their butts off in upper East coast or Midwest to watch a 2 1/2 to 3 hour game and then rush back to the hotel so you can warm up after the game. Sorry for the rant, jmo.

The highest paying Bowl games not in the NY6

Citrus Bowl- $8,224,578
Alamo Bowl- $8,252,740
Holiday Bowl- $6,532,700
ReilaQuest- $6,400,000
TexasTax Bowl- $6,400,000
Cheezit- Bowl- $6,071,760
Music City Bowl- $ 5,700,000
Gator Bowl- $5,350,000
DukesMayo Bowl- $4,780,461
Liberty Bowl- $4,700,000
Sun Bowl- $ 4,550,000
Pinstripe Bowl- $ 4,400,000
How many are tied to $EC or B1G conferences?

You need to add the 5 team play-in to keep it fair... 133 teams in FBS LOL
The 5 team play-in should occur during week 0. Then the tournament starts during week 1. If you lose, you are out of the tournament, but you can still play other teams that lost for entertainment and pride.

All games would matter except if you have the misfortune of losing before the end of the season. In that case, the rest of the games are simply for entertainment value only.

Reactions: HuskerOH
Stop teams with 5-7 or 6-6 records from playing in these bowls it's time you need a winning record to participate. Maybe it means we need to see fewer bowl games and that may happen once they expand the playoffs. We also need to see teams like Nebraska become relevant again because the fans will spend the money to travel for bowl games.

Another thing that needs to happen is for the bowls to be played in warm weather climates giving fans and players some reward to travel and enjoy the warmth of the month of December in Florida, SoCal, Arizona. Who really wants pay money to freeze their butts off in upper East coast or Midwest to watch a 2 1/2 to 3 hour game and then rush back to the hotel so you can warm up after the game. Sorry for the rant, jmo.
I said this in a post last week. 24 of these games could be played in Cancun, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and San Diego, where fans and the players could have a vacation and the kids could play a little football.

No more games in NYC, Boston, Detroit, Boise, Shreveport, Mobile, or Albuquerque.

I said this in a post last week. 24 of these games could be played in Cancun, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and San Diego, where fans and the players could have a vacation and the kids could play a little football.

No more games in NYC, Boston, Detroit, Boise, Shreveport, Mobile, or Albuquerque.
The bowls are located where they are because of local groups or regional tie-ins that organize and promote the bowls with corporate sponsors. Like the Quicklane Bowl is in Detroit because that's where their corporate HQ is. If those other warm weather sites you listed want a bowl I'm sure they're welcome to try and organize something but it's next to impossible because they have to get contracts with conferences. Who, no doubt, are reticent to abandon historical bowls. Shreveport and Mobile aren't just going to step aside because you'd rather go to Vegas.

The bowls are located where they are because of local groups or regional tie-ins that organize and promote the bowls with corporate sponsors. Like the Quicklane Bowl is in Detroit because that's where their corporate HQ is. If those other warm weather sites you listed want a bowl I'm sure they're welcome to try and organize something but it's next to impossible because they have to get contracts with conferences. Who, no doubt, are reticent to abandon historical bowls. Shreveport and Mobile aren't just going to step aside because you'd rather go to Vegas.
There is no reason in the world why Quicklane couldn't sponsor a bowl, have all of their commercials on TV during the bowl, but play the game in a full 18,000 fan stadium in Cancun. There are bowls where the sponsors' corporate HQ are not in the same town as the bowl.

Last edited:
There is no reason in the world why Quicklane couldn't sponsor a bowl, have all of their commercials on TV during the bowl, but play the game in a full 18,000 fan stadium in Cancun. There's bowls where the sponsors' corporate HQ are not in the same town as the bowl.
There is a reason. They don't want to.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If the networks can find different "inventory" to replace the current 42 time slots, then the bowls will go away.

Now with the advent of a 12-team playoff, you have 11 playoff games instead of three, so with eight more time slots to fill, maybe some of the "minor" bowls will go away.

So, if you have 42 games now (3 playoff games and 39 other bowls), the networks might instead need to fill only 31 other bowl games.

Currently 82 teams make the post season. It could be reduced to 74 with the above reduction.

If the networks can find different "inventory" to replace the current 42 time slots, then the bowls will go away.

Now with the advent of a 12-team playoff, you have 11 playoff games instead of three, so with eight more time slots to fill, maybe some of the "minor" bowls will go away.

So, if you have 42 games now (3 playoff games and 39 other bowls), the networks might instead need to fill only 31 other bowl games.

Currently 82 teams make the post season. It could be reduced to 74 with the above reduction.
That's a start!

Personally I enjoy watching the “meaningless” bowl games as much as the playoffs. I get to watch teams I haven’t seen all year and it seems more like the college football I grew up with.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
One interesting thing about many of the smaller bowls, the payouts don't cover the travel expenses associated with participating.

I miss some of the bowl games that have gone away (yes, some have been renamed). It's the nostalgia, cheesey older bowl logos, funny end zone designs and some of the defunct networks they were broadcast on.

Freedom Bowl
Blockbuster Bowl
Bluebonnet Bowl
Copper Bowl
Aloha Bowl
Sunflower Bowl

I'm sure the old Salad Bowl, was a ruckus.

And most of all, the Good guys in a bowl.

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT