ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

hIf you are to lazy to read you really have no credibility to post on this subject. Stick to horses
My point was, in a typical high school of 500 grads, what percent want to be doctors or dentists? And of that percent, how many actually want to pay the price to become one.? That was my point.

The cost of getting that education comes with the territory. The vast majority who would enter the medical field are going to run up a large debt. That debt has to be repaid. Those that ultimately become doctors, do so by choice.

It doesn't mean I have to bow down to someone just because they have MD after their name. They don't diagnose, treat and cure everything, or else it wouldn't be called a "practice."

By the way,, Walleye, I don't need your fricking approval on what I read or don't read. You apparently have a hard on for someone who can win at horses. clearly, that skill is far beyond your ability. You didn't even comment or post on the thread I did on the Kentucky Derby, so why would I give a shit what your opinion is?

• Wow
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Raikes was, and I think still is, an excellent program. My son was in the 2015 cohort (incoming freshman) and graduated from there in 2019. He has one of those Silicon Valley jobs previously mentioned, and so far has been able to avoid any of the massive layoffs. Always thought Anna and Steve were great although not sure they are both there???
Steve is there. Anna is now at Hudl.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
My point was, in a typical high school of 500 grads, what percent want to be doctors or dentists? And of that percent, how many actually want to pay the price to become one.? That was my point.

The cost of getting that education comes with the territory. The vast majority who would enter the medical field are going to run up a large debt. That debt has to be repaid. Those that ultimately become doctors, do so by choice.

It doesn't mean I have to bow down to someone just because they have MD after their name. They don't diagnose, treat and cure everything, or else it wouldn't be called a "practice."

By the way,, Walleye, I don't need your fricking approval on what I read or don't read. You apparently have a hard on for someone who can win at horses. clearly, that skill is far beyond your ability. You didn't even comment or post on the thread I did on the Kentucky Derby, so why would I give a shit what your opinion is?
I get what you are saying but I think it is fair to say that people become doctors for the money AND to help others.

I do think it is for the money/title/prestige first BUT it doesn't mean they are bad people and don't want to help others.

I get what you are saying but I think it is fair to say that people become doctors for the money AND to help others.

I do think it is for the money/title/prestige first BUT it doesn't mean they are bad people and don't want to help others.
Of course.

If you had found the time to read my post you would have seen that I was making the same point. A person doesn't choose to forego a lucrative career in an other area, while simultaneously piling up a mountain of debt, if their only concern is making money.

I was just offering a different perspective to your initial messaging.

The medical industry has become a money piraha. The new Doctor's hippocratic oath has become,
"First, do no harm, to your bank account."

I always tell my 40ish year old primary Doctor, whom I like, there's a 90% chance the pill he prescribes won't work for me, but a 100% chance the insurance check will work for him.

‘Hey let me record this and make no attempt to intervene!’
Sadly, this is pretty normal and for the most part it always has been. The "bystander effect" has been studied over and over and for the most part, the bigger the crowd the less likely anyone is to help out.

Of course, in this case...his friend is clearly filming on purpose not just randomly....because he is also an asshole.

I think homeschooling is a great opportunity for kids who have health issues and can't go to school like most kids. As a child, I studied from home for a year and sometimes https://eduhelper/essay-samples helped me with my home assignments and write my essay. But definitely homeschooling should not be mandatory for all children, it is a matter of choice in my opinion and the physical condition of the child.
Great comment. I think we should all take a moment and visit the link.

• Haha
Reactions: Lars72

Reasonable take. Personally I believe WAY too many kids go to liberal arts colleges who would be much better off attending a trade school.

Last edited:
I think home schooling offers significant help for students in managing their education and achieving academic success. With personalized attention and tailored instruction, students can thrive in a comfortable and flexible learning environment. Home assignments become an opportunity for deep engagement and understanding as parents or tutors guide them through the material get info here. This approach fosters a love for learning and allows students to explore their interests fully. Moreover, home schooling empowers students to develop valuable life skills such as self-discipline and time management. It is a truly transformative educational experience.

I think home schooling offers significant help for students in managing their education and achieving academic success. With personalized attention and tailored instruction, students can thrive in a comfortable and flexible learning environment. Home assignments become an opportunity for deep engagement and understanding as parents or tutors guide them through the material get info here. This approach fosters a love for learning and allows students to explore their interests fully. Moreover, home schooling empowers students to develop valuable life skills such as self-discipline and time management. It is a truly transformative educational experience.
R2D2 with a great post!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
i call them government schools too..

Ehhhh, sort of. For the most part "government" stays out of education, it is the school board, which you can argue is "government" since they are elected, that ruins things and here is why...

99% of people are what I could call "normal", so maybe they are a degree or two one way but for the most part, normal.

Then you have 1% of the population that is "crazy" not Norman Bates crazy but they just think their views are totally right and they are extreme.

Those crazies are the ones that love to "get power" so they actually run for school boards, with no educational background, no teaching experience, sometimes not even having kids...and those crazy people try to shove the crazy down the throats of everyone else.

School boards need to be eliminated OR they need to have requirements to who can be elected.

• Love
Reactions: WHCSC and Jaemekon
Hey, I'm young enough to understand that you should :
Vote Now Video Game GIF by Creative Courage

• Haha
Reactions: Jaemekon
Best way to learn is to get a job. If they don't like it that's even better, extra motivation to do something else.

My daughter just recited the oath on Monday. I think you are underestimating the level of sacrifice and dedication that comes with pursuing an MD. You seem to be insinuating that Drs are only in it for the money. I think you are failing to take into account how much money was sacrificed to get to the point that they can make money.

Starting in high school my daughter was volunteering in hospitals and other organizations to service others instead of working jobs to make money.

She was accepted to the Raikes School of Computer Science at UNL where she graduated with a degree in Biological Systems Engineering with minors in computer science and business while Pre-Med. While many in her cohort were spending their summers working at high paid internships in Silicon Valley and around the country, she spent her summers grinding out research, shadowing physicians, and pursuing volunteer experiences.

Upon completing her undergrad, she turned down several excellent job opportunities in engineering and in tech including an offer from Apple and from Medtronic, in order to pursue a chance to serve others in healthcare.

Now that she has graduated medical school, she gets to work a 4 year residency (possibly an additional 2 year fellowship in MedEd if she chooses) for less than minimum wage when adjusted to an 80 hour work week.

As a dad, I questioned her all the time if she really thought it was worth it to go down this path.

So in short, she sacrificed 4 years of internship pay and 8-10 years of engineer/computer science pay just to get to the point where she can make money as a physician. Not to mention, the mountain of med school debt accumulated. I don’t think you do that if you are only interested in money.
Agreed. Way easier ways to make money with literally zero % of the schooling she endured.

Your daughter is a good example of someone who should've been in voluntary school.

Here’s hoping she resists the abhorrent profiteering machine that is the American medical scam I mean system as long as possible

Yeah, it's a love/hate thing. If I go back to visit for a week the first couple days I get nostalgia and think I could move back. Then I get stuck in traffic on 48th or some other road that is obviously way too small for a city that size and I remember why I moved. I have relatives from Omaha that pretty much have to take anxiety meds to drive in Lincoln.
You guys are kidding. Right? I drove over to Seattle last Sunday afternoon and it was like racing in a NASCAR race once I hit the suburbs. Lincoln is nothing to drive in.

Then when I was driving back home eastbound on I-90 (with no traffic) about 5 pm the traffic was bumper to bumper westbound from about 80 miles out of Seattle. All the campers and boaters going back home after playing all weekend in the sun and heat in Eastern Washington. Did not look fun to me.

Reactions: HBK4life
You guys are kidding. Right? I drove over to Seattle last Sunday afternoon and it was like racing in a NASCAR race once I hit the suburbs. Lincoln is nothing to drive in.

Then when I was driving back home eastbound on I-90 (with no traffic) about 5 pm the traffic was bumper to bumper westbound from about 80 miles out of Seattle. All the campers and boaters going back home after playing all weekend in the sun and heat in Eastern Washington. Did not look fun to me.
Yup, anyone who thinks Lincoln traffic is bad try Denver, DFW, Columbus Ohio and Austin TX. You will have a whole new perspective on bad traffic and bumper to bumper assholes.

Yup, anyone who thinks Lincoln traffic is bad try Denver, DFW, Columbus Ohio and Austin TX. You will have a whole new perspective on bad traffic and bumper to bumper assholes.
Traffic after a Husker game, so 7 times a year, is what traffic is like in those places you mentioned all the time.

People have no clue what.

Reactions: HBK4life
Imagine a 3 day traffic jam.. and people dieing because of it.

This is pretty accurate for what traffic can look like during rush hour. Usually more scooters, and they ride in between the cars, anywhere they can.. Nobody respects any lanes. The rules of the road are a bit different, but if in any accident between car and scooter, the car is always at fault and they are responsible for your medical bills. In a lot of ways, it feels more like a sea of scooters flowing around a mismatch of cars, trucks, and other contraptions (food stalls on wheels, ricksaws, bicycles, etc).

20160708_JakartaTrafficJam_afp_0.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
Imagine a 3 day traffic jam.. and people dieing because of it.

This is pretty accurate for what traffic can look like during rush hour. Usually more scooters, and they ride in between the cars, anywhere they can.. Nobody respects any lanes. The rules of the road are a bit different, but if in any accident between car and scooter, the car is always at fault and they are responsible for your medical bills. In a lot of ways, it feels more like a sea of scooters flowing around a mismatch of cars, trucks, and other contraptions (food stalls on wheels, ricksaws, bicycles, etc).

20160708_JakartaTrafficJam_afp_0.jpg
@Jaemekon - I’m buying you a ticket so you can drive around Indonesia for a week and upload your video to YouTube.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT