ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

Jaemekon

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
I just got an email yesterday from Lincoln public schools, which told me the god awful news that Standing Bear High School will not be taking juniors and seniors.

This means that my daughter would still have to go all the way to southwest. That is just way too far from my home, standing Bear is basically my backyard.

Anyway, due to this development, I will be homeschooling my daughter instead. Any suggestions for the best way to home school? I'm not trying to do the church thing or any of that.

I just got an email yesterday from Lincoln public schools, which told me the god awful news that Standing Bear High School will not be taking juniors and seniors.

This means that my daughter would still have to go all the way to southwest. That is just way too far from my home, standing Bear is basically my backyard.

Anyway, due to this development, I will be homeschooling my daughter instead. Any suggestions for the best way to home school? I'm not trying to do the church thing or any of that.
Really? You would have hated it back in the day when it was Lincoln High, NE, SE, and E. Of course back in my day all that suburbia out in the SE corner of town was great quail hunting.

Reactions: ATX Husker

May I ask how many miles it is to the alternate high school?

May I ask how many miles it is to the alternate high school?

I don't know. Whatever it is from 75th and rokeby to Lincoln southwest, that's how far it is.

It doesn't matter though, it just feels too far, and I hate all the traffic. My biggest issue is the roundabouts and other cars. If it weren't for those, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm. I left the day after graduating and never moved back but I still love to visit. Such a different city than 20 years ago.

I've never liked Lincoln. I didn't grow up in Lincoln though.

I don't know. Whatever it is from 75th and rokeby to Lincoln southwest, that's how far it is.

It doesn't matter though, it just feels too far, and I hate all the traffic. My biggest issue is the roundabouts and other cars. If it weren't for those, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Lincoln does seem to love roundabouts. What was strange to me was going east down hwy 2. Hwy 2 isn't really hwy 2 anymore going through town. That messed me up the first time.

Reactions: Jaemekon
Lincoln does seem to love roundabouts. What was strange to me was going east down hwy 2. Hwy 2 isn't really hwy 2 anymore going through town. That messed me up the first time.

I got lost trying to get to eagle the other day, on "highway 2".

• Haha
Reactions: arf_man
I've never liked Lincoln. I didn't grow up in Lincoln though.
Yeah, it's a love/hate thing. If I go back to visit for a week the first couple days I get nostalgia and think I could move back. Then I get stuck in traffic on 48th or some other road that is obviously way too small for a city that size and I remember why I moved. I have relatives from Omaha that pretty much have to take anxiety meds to drive in Lincoln.

Kind of hard to explain in a Message Board post, but there are lots of options for you and your daughter in how you want to homeschool. My wife did that for our 4 kids. First thing to consider is whether your daughter is self-motivated to do the work necessary. Second thing is whether you have a passion to do the homeschooling, as well. If both of those are "yes" then you most likely will be successful, no matter what curriculum you choose and the number of subjects taken. Don't worry about screwing things up even if you don't do it "perfectly" according to whatever standard you may set for yourself.

It does not require you to do exactly the same thing as the public schools. In fact, you will likely find out how efficient homeschooling can be (a lot of "fluff" in the schools). If organized and your daughter takes care of business right away, she can be done by early afternoon and that leaves plenty of time for her to pursue/focus on any passions she may have.

Yeah, it's a love/hate thing. If I go back to visit for a week the first couple days I get nostalgia and think I could move back. Then I get stuck in traffic on 48th or some other road that is obviously way too small for a city that size and I remember why I moved. I have relatives from Omaha that pretty much have to take anxiety meds to drive in Lincoln.

It's like the peoole who designed that city had no idea it would ever grow. Wost street design management, ever.

I'm sorry but come one man... That's not that bad of a drive.... For real, it's probly what? a 15 minute drive? and traffic in Lincoln is NOT traffic...

I'm sorry but come one man... That's not that bad of a drive.... For real, it's probly what? a 15 minute drive? and traffic in Lincoln is NOT traffic...

It seems bad to me. It seems like traffic to me.

It's like the peoole who designed that city had no idea it would ever grow. Wost street design management, ever.
I remember back in the day they wouldn't widen 40th because people didn't want to lose trees....... in the right of way. So backwards. That's why I couldn't believe they actually completed that beltway. It's been planned for 3/4 of my life.

• Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
Best way to home school? Don’t do it. Teacher’s have Masters degrees and years of experience focused on educating young people. You do not. If you love your daughter, do what is best for her.

It's best for me not to kill her in a car wreck. I went to federal school, it was a waste of time.

This is not a commentary on your potential homeschooling skills or lack thereof, Jae, but I can just about guarantee that whatever you throw at your daughter in terms of curriculum will be far less destructive than the garbage they’re shoveling at her from LSW.

Give a capable kid material to learn and some incentive to learn it, and they will. LPS wants to straight up indoctrinate your child. Question is whether Standing Bear is gonna be any better. It’s still LPS. Could be Woke-er still…

This is not a commentary on your potential homeschooling skills or lack thereof, Jae, but I can just about guarantee that whatever you throw at your daughter in terms of curriculum will be far less destructive than the garbage they’re shoveling at her from LSW.

Give a capable kid material to learn and some incentive to learn it, and they will. LPS wants to straight up indoctrinate your child. Question is whether Standing Bear is gonna be any better. It’s still LPS. Could be Woke-er still…

I agree 100%. I'm also not a huge lps fan.

Best way to home school? Don’t do it. Teacher’s have Masters degrees and years of experience focused on educating young people. You do not. If you love your daughter, do what is best for her.

And yet with all the degrees and experience, statistics show that homeschool kids outperform the public school kids in ACT/SAT. They are more socially adjusted than their public school peers.

And yet with all the degrees and experience, statistics show that homeschool kids outperform the public school kids in ACT/SAT. They are more socially adjusted than their public school peers.
Things might be changing but my experiences around home schooled kids are that alot are socially awkward. But that might be because the parents are socially awkward too. I don't know. I must be lucky.

I would be curious to see some of this curriculum people are complaing about. My kids go to a rural school in what conservatives call a lib state and I haven't seen any "woke" curriculum. I've found teachers to be like the rest of society. Some are conservative. Some liberal. Some crazy. Some normal. And I think they all slant toward their personal agenda.

Things might be changing but my experiences around home schooled kids are that alot are socially awkward. But that might be because the parents are socially awkward too. I don't know. I must be lucky.

I would be curious to see some of this curriculum people are complaing about. My kids go to a rural school in what conservatives call a lib state and I haven't seen any "woke" curriculum. I've found teachers to be like the rest of society. Some are conservative. Some liberal. Some crazy. Some normal. And I think they all slant toward their personal agenda.
If socially awkward means not like the rest of society, that's a big selling point.

I have some schooled kids that come to real school and they are not more socially adjusted. They are either "the same" or way below. I see it all the time. Now, there are exceptions of course but that is just my experience, which is long and distinguished, like my Johnson. This is just anecdotal evidence and I don't even know how one could do a study on such a topic but like I said, it is just my experience.

As far as ACT's goes, homeschoolers tend to do like 2 points better, which can be significant.

That's a good point. I also don't want my kids behaving like some rando instructors, I want my kids to be like me.

Rural areas, even in blue states, tend to be much more conservative. That's not breaking news.

I know there is this idea that teachers are crazy woke but what you see on a TiKTok is really a super tiny %.

Most of us are "normal". We come to work, we do our job, we pretend to know our students names, we act like we just might "Make it to their game vs _______ high school tonight" and we go home.

I teach in a Class A school and I can say that the more far left and far right teachers in the building are totally normal with the students.

Most of us, just like most of you non-teachers, just don't want to get hassled or create more issues/work for ourselves.

I know more teachers that freak out about hall passes, restroom passes and library passes (librarians are insane about passes) than I do crazy lefties or crazy righties.

That's a good point. I also don't want my kids behaving like some rando instructors, I want my kids to be like me.
I get what you're saying but I think my dad said it best when he told me taking my 4 year old to a Husker game wasn't going to make them a Husker fan for life. Whether they root for the Huskers or not will be something they decide over many years and me forcing it won't matter one way or another.

I feel the same way about teachers now. They definitely get teachers that try to influence both ways but at the end of the day the kids will figure it out on their own. By high school kids are already molded anyway I think. They know right from wrong and should be able to think for themselves.

I could never pull off the homeschooling thing but totally respect people that are organized enough to do it. We had to do e-learning for an extra year for the all the kids n my house due to one of my sons having a medical condition and we were all ready to kill each other by the end.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
I get what you're saying but I think my dad said it best when he told me taking my 4 year old to a Husker game wasn't going to make them a Husker fan for life. Whether they root for the Huskers or not will be something they decide over many years and me forcing it won't matter one way or another.

I feel the same way about teachers now. They definitely get teachers that try to influence both ways but at the end of the day the kids will figure it out on their own. By high school kids are already molded anyway I think. They know right from wrong and should be able to think for themselves.

I could never pull off the homeschooling thing but totally respect people that are organized enough to do it. We had to do e-learning for an extra year for the all the kids n my house due to one of my sons having a medical condition and we were all ready to kill each other by the end.
SOooo true! Parents found out really fast how ****ing annoying their kids can be. I don't mean that in a bad way either, it is just life.

I believe the main factor in a student's success is the level of parental involvement, especially at an early age (read to your kid!). So by default the average homeschooled student is going to get more of that than the average public school student - hence the higher scores. I don't advocate for either approach, we're a public school family and have no complaints (granted it was a suburban Omaha district, not OPS or LPS).

And on a side note, don't fear roundabouts, I love those things! Traffic flows much smoother once people learn how to use them, which really isn't that difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT