ADVERTISEMENT

HH is special. He has the "it" factor.

It makes sense, Sims has more big play ability. But, if HH can be steady and is better in the TO category, then he may be the guy. Whoever can get us to a bowl game, I don’t care.
Heinrich managed the game well, had one big turnover which would have been a killer in a big/close game, and made some nice plays. If his vision of the field/confidence improves (seeing open guys sooner, and getting ball out), I am not sure how he isn't "the guy". Good for him. Good for us!

I'd go with Haarberg for the sole reason that they looked significantly more competent the longer the game went on. Nebraska hasn't looked competent for even a short while through the first 2.5 games.
the O appeared more competent and confident with HH as the game went on. Sims turning the ball over 3 or 4 times a game blows up rhythm and confidence.

the O appeared more competent and confident with HH as the game went on. Sims turning the ball over 3 or 4 times a game blows up rhythm and confidence.
punter played a lot better, too.

when one guy shoulders the stress load with confidence, the rest of the team is free to go out and play without all the worry about trying to do too much.

They've been the first staff in three staffs to recognize his potential. So what's your point exactly??
I doubtt we'd have ever seen HH if Purdy and Sims weren't injured so it's hard for me to give the staff credit.
Can HH hit the deep ball? I see he can chuck it a mile but curious if his accuracy downfield is an issue or not. I have a feeling we are going to see Sims playing with just a little bit of HH to keep people quite.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
I doubtt we'd have ever seen HH if Purdy and Sims weren't injured so it's hard for me to give the staff credit.
Can HH hit the deep ball? I see he can chuck it a mile but curious if his accuracy downfield is an issue or not. I have a feeling we are going to see Sims playing with just a little bit of HH to keep people quite.
still with purdy

HH beat him out in spring. purdy has never spent a single day ahead of Haarberg on the depth chart since Rhule set foot on campus.

there's a reason purdy mopped up HH's handy work yesterday & it's got nothing to do with his injury.

you saw him play last year and vs CU. he doesn't belong.

wake up, man

Last edited:
still with purdy

HH beat him out in spring. purdy has never spent a single day ahead of Haarberg on the depth charg since Rhule set foot on campus.

there's a reason purdy mopped up HH's handy work yesterday & it's got nothing to do with his injury.

you saw him play last year and vs CU. he doesn't belong.

wake up, man
I agree not a Purdy fan but that isn't what they were saying last night about the depth chart, maybe they were clueless but I'd think if HH had been a clear #2 playing at TE would be pretty dumb seeing how weak the OL is.

I agree not a Purdy fan but that isn't what they were saying last night about the depth chart, maybe they were clueless but I'd think if HH had been a clear #2 playing at TE would be pretty dumb seeing how weak the OL is.
who's "they"?

because "they" do, indeed, sound clueless

Haarberg is one of the best athletes on the team. getting him the ball is not "pretty dumb".

who's "they"?

because "they" do, indeed, sound clueless

Haarberg is one of the best athletes on the team. getting him the ball is not "pretty dumb".
If he is one of the best athletes itbwould explain a lot of our troubles. For be, he would he would be getting every qb rep possible not playing TE based on Sims and our OL. They would be the broadcast when Purdy lined up under center, maybe I didn't hear them correctly.

It’s one game against a bad opponent, there are still clear flaws there. The side arm release was a problem at least once. Still starring down one receiver often. Still didn’t see any accuracy past 25 yards. They didn’t have any film on him and were not prepared for his scrambling out of the pocket.

That being said, he should be the starter. He played a relatively mistake free game, far better than anything Sims has put together thus far. Roll with him and develop him.

HH playing well may help Sims. Sounds like he doesn’t have turnover problems in practice, maybe HH being there will take pressure off of Sims and he’ll play better. I’m totally fine though if we just let HH play this year. We will take some losses, but the payoff in the future will be worth it.

I think if it was close they were going to go with sims. I just think Sims was not making those mistakes in camp. I think if anything it shows the staffs weakness to 1 listen to their friend who sucked at GT. And their overconfidence that they could turn this athlete who lost a lot of games into a winner.
Actually, Sims does make those mistakes in practice. At some point in most practices, Rhule suddenly blows his whistle and yells out something like "There's 1:47 left in the game and we have the ball on our own 36-yard line, first down. Two-minute drill!" The offense has to sprint into position and run the drill. Anywhere from 80 to 90 percent of the time, that drill ends with Sims throwing an interception. You don't have to take my word for it, but it's true.

Actually, Sims does make those mistakes in practice. At some point in most practices, Rhule suddenly blows his whistle and yells out something like "There's 1:47 left in the game and we have the ball on our own 36-yard line, first down. Two-minute drill!" The offense has to sprint into position and run the drill. Anywhere from 80 to 90 percent of the time, that drill ends with Sims throwing an interception. You don't have to take my word for it, but it's true.
I am not concerned about making the wrong decision as a coaching staff. As long as they correct the mistake which i think they have. The previous failed staffs never fixed anything. Time will tell if Ruhle is different

Reactions: dinglefritz
8 or 9 times out of 10 ends in an INT? Every practice? And he has remained the starter?

Yeah, I don’t buy it.

We have a qb. This kid is flat out a leader.
He’s not “special” regards to talent but I do believe he’s Neb’s best option at this time. HH will not even garner consideration for all conference honors (maybe not even honorable mention). He’s maybe, however, the best Neb has which, unfortunately, may be more telling of Rhule’s staff assessing QBs than HH himself.

Sims throws a better looking ball and has more natural arm talent. HH is a gamer with more physicality and acceleration. Depends on what we need.
Ah, but sims throws that better looking ball into danger too much. Protect the ball, stop trying to press too much and cause mistakes. You think Sims can do that going forward?

Reactions: Bugeater
Doesn’t it make you question the staff’s ability to evaluate qb play?
When they arrived they said they were impressed by him, when he was a complete mystery on the depth chart for 2 years. Frost recruited him and in fairness he may have planned for him to be a project of a few years, which it appears he was.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It’s one game against a bad opponent, there are still clear flaws there. The side arm release was a problem at least once. Still starring down one receiver often. Still didn’t see any accuracy past 25 yards. They didn’t have any film on him and were not prepared for his scrambling out of the pocket.

That being said, he should be the starter. He played a relatively mistake free game, far better than anything Sims has put together thus far. Roll with him and develop him.
True, but we’d be 2-1 right now at worst had HH started the season.

Never saw a qb that stared down their target and then threw there more than Simms.

A decent qb that manages the game and doesn’t turn over the ball instantly makes us a 20pt better team than Simms.

Rewatched the highlights and it became obvious how the other players on offense were playing up for HH- especially the line. The line sucks, but you could see they were wanting to be nasty for their QB because their QB was playing so physical and on fire for his home team as a homegrown player. I haven't seen the line celebrate after scores the way they did for HH. Granted we haven't scored much until this game. But I think we saw more than just that with HH's role inspiring an otherwise crap line.

I legit get how Rhule wouldn't want a QB controversy after his experience in the NFL. Truth be told even if he goes with HH as THE guy, they'll likely need Sims to come in sometimes considering HH's style of play (even though he's a TE sized QB wearing RB pads, physical B1G play could potentially get the best of even him at some point).

Rhule will have to keep Sims engaged and interested if the above turns out to be the path moving forward. But who knows the extent of Sims injury truly except the coaches and training staff? High ankle sprains are no joke for a QB who's best weapon is truly his legs.

IF Sims is 90% or better going into the game this weekend, I'd maybe give him the first half and tell HH second one's all his. That way if Sims proves to be Mr turnover against a clearly inferior opponent (even compared to NIU) the the choice to go with HH into Meatchicken is clear and logical. If Sims does well, well... Things get murkier than they should be but is what it is.

Meatchicken will reveal a lot - regardless if our Huskers get blown out or not. Who can at least do *something* and NOT just GIFT the ball to them in that scenario?

That's who the starter should be for the rest of the season. But we'll need both, and it's freaking great to see HH is indeed better overall than Purdy so we at least have two dudes who can at least give us a chance with our awesome defense.

Reactions: timnsun
I think HH is the guy. It’s up to Satterfield to have him set up for success. Regarding the deep ball…HH clearly has a cannon. So why is 5’9 Billy Kemp going after these passes and getting covered up, when we have a fast 6’4 freshman on the bench. Coleman needs to see the field starting now. He’s the only one we have that can stretch the field.

this is the kind of stuff we've been desperate to hear for years, and also the kind of stuff that's hard to understand as a transfer:

“The guys that have been here for three years now,” Haarberg said, “you just start thinking (about) Michigan (in 2021), all those games that we just kind of threw away, that we just shot ourselves in the foot. But tonight, we went full speed ahead.”

Rewatched the highlights and it became obvious how the other players on offense were playing up for HH- especially the line. The line sucks, but you could see they were wanting to be nasty for their QB because their QB was playing so physical and on fire for his home team as a homegrown player. I haven't seen the line celebrate after scores the way they did for HH. Granted we haven't scored much until this game. But I think we saw more than just that with HH's role inspiring an otherwise crap line.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. I am not making HH out to be an All American or all conference qb. He is a leader, though. That is the it factor I am talking about. This team will play hard if he is in the lineup.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I am not making HH out to be an All American or all conference qb. He is a leader, though. That is the it factor I am talking about. This team will play hard if he is in the lineup.
I think the players appreciate his hard work and endurance to get his first start and they rallied around him…

As far as playing hard it shouldn’t matter who is behind center, they should be playing hard every play..

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think the players appreciate his hard work and endurance to get his first start and they rallied around him…

As far as playing hard it shouldn’t matter who is behind center, they should be playing hard every play..
kind of hard when your quarterback is loafing it

It's a part of the game, because we're all human after all.

I know when I played primarily defense in high school, we rallied around one guy at QB more than the other. It's called having even a glimmer of hope vs none when you're trying to do all you can as a top defense - including killing yourself for success.

It's hard to explain, but you get the gist!

We have a qb. This kid is flat out a leader.
The kid is very athletic, a battering ram that will scare DBs, and plays with a lot of energy that the team can rally around, but we don't have the offensive line to just play power football with him and his side arm mechanics and in ability to throw with even reasonable accuracy deep will crush us against average to good conference opponents. The kid would be a baller with the 2000 or 2001 line Crouch ran behind, but he will drive the same people celebrating him after Saturday's game crazy when we play a better opponent that stops the run and dares him to throw.

If HH does end up being our starter once conference play rolls around, I'll be very concerned with his durability. While fun to watch, that battering ram running style against the bigger conference opponents is unlikely to hold up. Especially if he keeps running it 20+ times a game.

Reactions: tjlSker90
Doesn’t it make you question the staff’s ability to evaluate qb play?
I feel like so many forget where HH was on the depth chart prior to Rhule's arrival and of the push to get him to play TE or WR by a number of posters. Rhule shows up, sees the winter conditioning numbers, made comments about his athleticism in the dunk contest, and spoke highly of HH. Rhule saw something in the guy and very early on he was working with the 2's and 1's.

Last edited:

I legit get how Rhule wouldn't want a QB controversy after his experience in the NFL. Truth be told even if he goes with HH as THE guy, they'll likely need Sims to come in sometimes considering HH's style of play (even though he's a TE sized QB wearing RB pads, physical B1G play could potentially get the best of even him at some point).

Rhule will have to keep Sims engaged and interested if the above turns out to be the path moving forward. But who knows the extent of Sims injury truly except the coaches and training staff? High ankle sprains are no joke for a QB who's best weapon is truly his legs.

IF Sims is 90% or better going into the game this weekend, I'd maybe give him the first half and tell HH second one's all his. That way if Sims proves to be Mr turnover against a clearly inferior opponent (even compared to NIU) the the choice to go with HH into Meatchicken is clear and logical. If Sims does well, well... Things get murkier than they should be but is what it is.

Meatchicken will reveal a lot - regardless if our Huskers get blown out or not. Who can at least do *something* and NOT just GIFT the ball to them in that scenario?

That's who the starter should be for the rest of the season. But we'll need both, and it's freaking great to see HH is indeed better overall than Purdy so we at least have two dudes who can at least give us a chance with our awesome defense.
You do not give Sims the first half, that kind of thinking is not smart. HH should be the starter and Sims off the bench if need be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT