ADVERTISEMENT

Gophers up the ante for Fleck

Sure...but you are not defending them...on a Husker board...to Husker fans.
Only thing I’ll defend is there much better this past 10/11
years then they have ever been except for Mason couple of good years..

80-55 the past 11 years.

Reactions: Minn1954
I mean, you literally know their entire history...I feel like my leap to thinking you were a Minny fan is not that crazy.
Please do yourself a favor and read the initial post in this thread and if you have any reading
comprehension whatsoever, you should realize how ridiculous and off point your posts are.
Headcard has posted several times the won loss records of Glen Mason, Kill/Claeys and Fleck in their last 65 games and how similar these numbers are and how this proves Fleck is nothing special as a head coach. I accepted the numbers headcard provided but disagreed that he had proven anything because there is more to the story than just won loss records. After their last 65 games, both Glen Mason and Kill/Claeys got their asses fired while Fleck received a substantial raise and contract extension. Despite the similar won loss records, the AD had lost faith that Mason and Kill/Claeys could take the Gophers to the next level, but has indicated a strong belief that Fleck has the potential to accomplish this. Although it wasn’t part of the initial discussion, when Minnesota beats Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, they will have back to back 9 win seasons for the first time since 1905.
In the initial post, I acknowledged that I didn’t like Fleck. Like most people, I think he is an arrogant, self-promoting douche. But this has nothing to do with his ability to coach football. All the evidence, not opinions, show that he has a history of being a good coach. No, I don’t want him to coach at Nebraska, but there is a reason that he received a substantial raise and contract extension.
By the way, I was raised in Nebraska, but live in Minnesota.

Please do yourself a favor and read the initial post in this thread and if you have any reading
comprehension whatsoever, you should realize how ridiculous and off point your posts are.
Headcard has posted several times the won loss records of Glen Mason, Kill/Claeys and Fleck in their last 65 games and how similar these numbers are and how this proves Fleck is nothing special as a head coach. I accepted the numbers headcard provided but disagreed that he had proven anything because there is more to the story than just won loss records. After their last 65 games, both Glen Mason and Kill/Claeys got their asses fired while Fleck received a substantial raise and contract extension. Despite the similar won loss records, the AD had lost faith that Mason and Kill/Claeys could take the Gophers to the next level, but has indicated a strong belief that Fleck has the potential to accomplish this. Although it wasn’t part of the initial discussion, when Minnesota beats Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, they will have back to back 9 win seasons for the first time since 1905.
In the initial post, I acknowledged that I didn’t like Fleck. Like most people, I think he is an arrogant, self-promoting douche. But this has nothing to do with his ability to coach football. All the evidence, not opinions, show that he has a history of being a good coach. No, I don’t want him to coach at Nebraska, but there is a reason that he received a substantial raise and contract extension.
Do yourself a favor and learn to use paragraphs.

The only reason Fleck got a raise instead of getting canned (after having the worst point spread loss in CFB history over the last 50 years) is because the Minny AD knows they can never be better than average.

Also, congrats on not being a minny fan...but living there and writing post after post about how good Minny is.

So to summarize:

I’ve told you exactly why I think he is an average football coach. Because he has accomplished exactly what the coaches before him did and no matter how often he tells you how elite he is, the reality is he has transformed Minnesota from a 8-win program to an 8-win program.

You on the other hand believe he is amazing because he hasn’t been fired.

Reactions: timnsun

The only reason Fleck got a raise instead of getting canned (after having the worst point spread loss in CFB history over the last 50 years) is because the Minny AD knows they can never be better than average.

Also, congrats on not being a minny fan...but living there and writing post after post about how good Minny is.
I agree with this 1000%. It isn’t because they think Fleck will get them there… It’s because they know they will never do better. I don’t see how Fleck ever wins them a conference championship if they couldn’t even play in the conference championship game this year.

I agree with this 1000%. It isn’t because they think Fleck will get them there… It’s because they know they will never do better. I don’t see how Fleck ever wins them a conference championship if they couldn’t even play in the conference championship game this year.
He is Jerry Kill...but young, a salesmen and healthy.

Nothing wrong with that, they made him a rich rich man. He is close to home (Sugar Grove, IL) and has, for the most part, no pressure at all.

He is Mike Riley at OSU, he can stay there forever.

Reactions: headcard
I hope like crazy Syracuse whoops them. I don’t think I can take another year of Fleck telling anyone with a microphone about how they have done something at minnesota that hasn’t been done in over 100 years. It will be in every press conference.

He’s already been banging the drum that every one told him all he has to do is beat wisconsin and he can stay here forever, even though the local media wanted him fired, according to Fleck. It’s maddening. The local media wasn’t exactly thrilled since absolutely no one called for him to be fired…

Reactions: headcard

I’ve never written post after post about how good Minny is. Why make things up? I responded to headcard’s recurring post about how Fleck hasn’t achieved anything that other coaches haven’t which is false. Fleck led Minnesota to an eleven win season in 2019 which has never been achieved in the modern era of Minnesota football history. Also, after the Pinstripe Bowl, he will have led Minnesota to back to back 9 win seasons which hasn’t happened since 1905.
Again, instead of facts, all you have is your opinion about why the Minny AD acted.

So to summarize:

I’ve told you exactly why I think he is an average football coach. Because he has accomplished exactly what the coaches before him did and no matter how often he tells you how elite he is, the reality is he has transformed Minnesota from a 8-win program to an 8-win program.

You on the other hand believe he is amazing because he hasn’t been fired.
Please list where I stated that Fleck is amazing because he hasn’t been fired.
You stated that the won loss record for the last 65 games for Mason, Kill/Claeys and Fleck are almost identical and that proves(your word) Fleck hasn’t accomplished anything. I disagreed that your numbers prove anything and stated why. Not being fired and instead receiving a raise and contract extension is a positive in my book. It doesn’t make him amazing, but I never said it did. Minnesota won 11 games in 2019 which hasn’t happened in modern Minnesota football history. After the Pinstripe Bowl, Minnesota will have back to back 9 win seasons(not 8 win) for the first time since 1905.
What don’t you understand?

Is that all you have is opinion? O.K., you hate Fleck as a person, but the facts(assuming you know what facts are) show that he is a good football coach. Admit it.
By the way, percentages range from 0 - 100%.

Last edited:
Please list where I stated that Fleck is amazing because he hasn’t been fired.
You stated that the won loss record for the last 65 games for Mason, Kill/Claeys and Fleck are almost identical and that proves(your word) Fleck hasn’t accomplished anything. I disagreed that your numbers prove anything and stated why. Not being fired and instead receiving a raise and contract extension is a positive in my book. It doesn’t make him amazing, but I never said it did. Minnesota won 11 games in 2019 which hasn’t happened in modern Minnesota football history. After the Pinstripe Bowl, Minnesota will have back to back 9 win seasons(not 8 win) for the first time since 1905.
What don’t you understand?

You are the one that is confused. I have spelled out very clearly why PJ is simply an average coach. You are choosing to ignore actual facts and instead just blindly follow your man crush. I think using “he hasn’t been fired” and a Pinstripe Bowl as your justification says it all.

Is that all you have is opinion? O.K., you hate Fleck as a person, but the facts(assuming you know what facts are) show that he is a good football coach. Admit it.
By the way, percentages range from 0 - 100%.
Ah, I see I’ve been outdone by a technicality. Thank you for enlightening me about the range of percentages, you dork.

Now it’s my turn. Fleck hasn’t won the pinstripe bowl yet so quit giving him props for doing something not done since 1905 because he hasn’t done it yet.

Quit being a dork. Fleck still has a job not because hes a great coach. He has a job because this AD is fine with winning records but no championships. Past ADs for minnesota shot higher than that, and when it wasn’t achieved, the coaches were fired. If fleck was coaching during those previous ADs’ tenure, he would have been fired as well.

Fleck is a good coach. But he sings his own praises enough. You don’t need to join him.

You are the one that is confused. I have spelled out very clearly why PJ is simply an average coach. You are choosing to ignore actual facts and instead just blindly follow your man crush. I think using “he hasn’t been fired” and a Pinstripe Bowl as your justification says it all.
Just admit you hate PJ Fleck. The objective data show he is a good, not average, football coach. You are the one who is confused and blinded by your hate.
Will you agree that in your initial post, you stated the won loss record of the last 65 games of the Mason, Kill/Claeys, Fleck years were nearly identical which “proved” Fleck had done nothing out of the ordinary and that I stated you had proven nothing? If yes, let’s dive into the last 5 years(65 games) of the Mason, Kill/Claeys and Fleck years.
Mason 2002-2006: Conference record 18-22; Best conference season 5-3 in 2003
Bowl record 3-2
Last 3 years: 20-17 overall, 10-14 conference, 1-2 bowl games
Maybe there was a reason why he was fired.
Kill/Claeys 2012-2016: Conference record 18-23; Best conference season 5-3 in 2014
Bowl record 2-3
PJ Fleck 2018-2022: Conference record 24-19; Best conference seasons 7-2 in 2019,
6-3 in 2021, 3-0 bowl games; 11 wins in 2019
Maybe there is a reason why he received a substantial pay raise and
contract extension.

I have never used “he hasn’t been fired” or “Pinstripe Bowl” as justification that PJ Fleck is a good, not average, football coach. I justified my position with the facts(if you are able to identify facts) listed above. Why do you make stuff up?

You state that you have clearly spelled out why PJ is simply an average coach and that I have chosen to ignore actual facts. (as opposed to non-actual facts?). Please refute the “actual facts” listed above.

Again, you are the one confused and unable to discern facts from your hate of PJ Fleck.

Just admit that PJ Fleck is a good football coach. You will feel better after acknowledging the truth.

Ah, I see I’ve been outdone by a technicality. Thank you for enlightening me about the range of percentages, you dork.

Now it’s my turn. Fleck hasn’t won the pinstripe bowl yet so quit giving him props for doing something not done since 1905 because he hasn’t done it yet.

Quit being a dork. Fleck still has a job not because hes a great coach. He has a job because this AD is fine with winning records but no championships. Past ADs for minnesota shot higher than that, and when it wasn’t achieved, the coaches were fired. If fleck was coaching during those previous ADs’ tenure, he would have been fired as well.

Fleck is a good coach. But he sings his own praises enough. You don’t need to join him.
A dork? 😂 OK, whatever.
You state, “Now it’s my turn” and the only thing you can come up with is that Fleck hasn’t won the Pinstripe Bowl yet? Now, that is the definition of a dorky response.

Your post is so pathetic, that it is difficult to respond to all the nonsense, but I will try.

I never said Fleck was a great coach, I have repeatedly said he is a good, not average coach.

Past ADs like RickBay, McKinley Boston, Mark Dienhart, Tom Moe, Joel Maturi and Norwood Teague? What a collection of Losers!

These loser ADs shot higher with coaches like John Gutekunst, Jim Wacker and Tim Brewster? OMG, these coaches were beyond terrible. Fleck would have no problem outperforming them and no, he would not get fired.

Again, you are blinded by your hatred of Fleck. I am not joining anybody in singing the praises of PJ Fleck. I can’t stand the guy, but individuals on this board refuse to admit he is a good coach because he is such a douchebag.
With all due respect, don’t you read the posts you respond to? I have repeatedly stated that I think Fleck is an arrogant, self-centered douche, but he is a good, not great, football coach.

A dork? 😂 OK, whatever.
You state, “Now it’s my turn” and the only thing you can come up with is that Fleck hasn’t won the Pinstripe Bowl yet? Now, that is the definition of a dorky response.

Your post is so pathetic, that it is difficult to respond to all the nonsense, but I will try.

I never said Fleck was a great coach, I have repeatedly said he is a good, not average coach.

Past ADs like RickBay, McKinley Boston, Mark Dienhart, Tom Moe, Joel Maturi and Norwood Teague? What a collection of Losers!

These loser ADs shot higher with coaches like John Gutekunst, Jim Wacker and Tim Brewster? OMG, these coaches were beyond terrible. Fleck would have no problem outperforming them and no, he would not get fired.

Again, you are blinded by your hatred of Fleck. I am not joining anybody in singing the praises of PJ Fleck. I can’t stand the guy, but individuals on this board refuse to admit he is a good coach because he is such a douchebag.
With all due respect, don’t you read the posts you respond to? I have repeatedly stated that I think Fleck is an arrogant, self-centered douche, but he is a good, not great, football coach.
You’re a dork for telling me what the range is (1-100 percent, as if I didn’t know) and then proceeding in multiple Posts to credit Fleck for something that hasn’t been done in over 100 years when he hasn’t done it yet and there is no guarantee that he will. Can’t you see that?

And my post is so pathetic that when I said he is a good coach (reread my post, same exact words you have said) you are all over me for claiming he is not a good coach when I stated plain as day that he is a good coach. And you claim I don’t know how to read? Good night you are dense.

How is it that you know about the last 6 ADs for minnesota? That is absolutely crazy to me that you would not only know them, but also defend them in their decision making.

Here’s the deal. Under Fleck, Minnesota doesn’t have to play the likes of OSU, Michigan, Penn State every year, and he has played those teams a hell of a lot less than Fleck has. If he would have played at the same time as Mason, or even Kill, his record would not approach what they did. Kill played Michigan 5 times, Ohio state 3 times and Penn state 2 times. Fleck played Michigan 2 times, Ohio state 2 times and Penn state 2 times. Didn’t even look up Mason because there were no divisions when he coached so he got the big dogs even more often.

Again, so that you fully understand, I have said Fleck is a good coach. But he still has a job because he hasn’t had to play the top teams nearly as much as the previous coaches, or his record would be worse. Period.

Edit: this good coach is also 3-18 against B1G foes with a record of .500 or better. Spin that any way you like it.

Last edited:
Fleck has the most wins by a Gopher coach through 6 years since seasons since 1905..

Fleck in 2019 took Minnesota to the Outback bowl and finished 11-2 and a top 10 finish..

As the head coach he is 43-27 and 26-26 in the B1G conference and is 3-0 in bowl with the Gophers..

These are the facts on PJ Fleck on the field.. Off the field he reads Children’s books to his players the night before Minnesota’s football game..

I’ve never written post after post about how good Minny is. Why make things up? I responded to headcard’s recurring post about how Fleck hasn’t achieved anything that other coaches haven’t which is false. Fleck led Minnesota to an eleven win season in 2019 which has never been achieved in the modern era of Minnesota football history. Also, after the Pinstripe Bowl, he will have led Minnesota to back to back 9 win seasons which hasn’t happened since 1905.
Again, instead of facts, all you have is your opinion about why the Minny AD acted.
Fact, the worst point spread loss in Minny history happened at home, under PJ.
Fact, he has the same record as the two guys before him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT