ADVERTISEMENT

Frost most likely to be fired

that's why I said hot water with 6 wins, to appease the fans who think we should win the NC every other year.
I remember waiting from 1971 to 1994 for a NC.
At least between those years Nebraska was still the majority of the time in the top 10 every year..

We’re are in the worst losing streaks since the Jennings era so it’s hard to be patient even though I’ve been giving SF the benefit of doubt…

Disagree. The right coach can get us to respectability in 2 years.

Frost has recruited well. I am concerned about the mental errors and lack of development. I think he's too much of a players coach and not enough of a hard ass. I hope he turns a corner this year. Do not want to start over with a new coach.
Absolutely. Everyone says "the right coach". Whose the right coach, where is he, and what makes him the right coach then if it aint Frost? Great tag line, but no one can name him because it's an unknown until winning starts, and we don't know if that'll ever happen until games are played.

What sucks is that if you're not winning, hard asses make players transfers. So in a way, you do have to be a players' coach. I don't like it, but that's reality.

The discussions around his job security all seem to assume that the team stays the same or gets better.

What got all the previous coaches fired is that the team got worse. We've already seen them backslide under Frost between year 1 and year 2. Hard to say if last year was worse or the same as year 2.

Don't get it twisted with Trev being the AD, he's not there to be a Frost Guy Ride or Die. Trev has his own pride in the program and he had a huge hand in pushing NU from "very good' to "juggernaut" in the mid 90s. He clearly has expectations about how that all needs to be done and he won't allow an embarrassing product in perpetuity just because Scott has a ring.

Absolutely. Everyone says "the right coach". Whose the right coach, where is he, and what makes him the right coach then if it aint Frost? Great tag line, but no one can name him because it's an unknown until winning starts, and we don't know if that'll ever happen until games are played.

What sucks is that if you're not winning, hard asses make players transfers. So in a way, you do have to be a players' coach. I don't like it, but that's reality.
Well, Frost isn't winning, so that would be the primary difference.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Well, Frost isn't winning, so that would be the primary difference.
True. So name me the "right" winning coach that takes the job? One that isn't a G5 coach already because then we're just repeating the pattern and hoping they're ready for big time football. And not Matt Campbell because it's been reported several times that he's an Ohio guy and is waiting for that job in a perfect world.

At least between those years Nebraska was still the majority of the time in the top 10 every year..

We’re are in the worst losing streaks since the Jennings era so it’s hard to be patient even though I’ve been giving SF the benefit of doubt…
I'm just throwing out there that sometimes it takes a bit of time to turn things around...

trust and believe I'm not happy with the o-line and qb development. but then that's another subject of the pass happy top brass throwing our bread and butter, the run into the bin.
which drives me insane when the big 10 is a grind it out run the ball conference..

I do see things improving on the d and special teams.

also I'm not saying isu's coach is the only choice, I remember we had a chance to hire a utah coach a while back called urban something....and utah's coach now seems like he knows what he's doing..plus texas's usually dumps their coach every 2.5 years, so that's another option..

I'm willing to give frost a few more years, if he get depth/competition at qb and the oline, and just runs the ball when he has the urge to gamble on a pass...this ain't oregon football.

I'm just throwing out there that sometimes it takes a bit of time to turn things around...

trust and believe I'm not happy with the o-line and qb development. but then that's another subject of the pass happy top brass throwing our bread and butter, the run into the bin.
which drives me insane when the big 10 is a grind it out run the ball conference..

I do see things improving on the d and special teams.

also I'm not saying isu's coach is the only choice, I remember we had a chance to hire a utah coach a while back called urban something....and utah's coach now seems like he knows what he's doing..plus texas's usually dumps their coach every 2.5 years, so that's another option..

I'm willing to give frost a few more years, if he get depth/competition at qb and the oline, and just runs the ball when he has the urge to gamble on a pass...this ain't oregon football.
Been one of the most ironic things for me to this point. I understand Frost's baby is the Oregon spread, but he's also the Nebraska option Husker Power QB. In a conference where the main thing is Run the Damn Ball, bland, smash mouth offense (minus Ohio State), he has chosen to run the pass happy spread, while more often than not, the winner of the West runs something similar to what he ran as a player, and thinks it's out dated.......just horrifically ironic to me

True. So name me the "right" winning coach that takes the job? One that isn't a G5 coach already because then we're just repeating the pattern and hoping they're ready for big time football. And not Matt Campbell because it's been reported several times that he's an Ohio guy and is waiting for that job in a perfect world.
Respectfully, "name me the guy" doesn't mean anything. I'm not spending hours going through possible coaches who might be interested in coming here for several million a year and who would do well. That's Trev's job. I'm positive there are a number of potential candidates out there that would come here for a lot of money and who could win much more than they lose. Holding onto a guy, for an extended period of time, who has proven that they can't win on a regular basis, is less than pointless.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Matt campbell is a coward who wants nothing to do with a high profile job.

Ames is a perfect destination for him, especially after they vastly underperform expectations this year.

We’d do better by folding our football program than hiring him
No, I think he's being very selective. He finds beating the Big 12 Southern teams to be pretty easy and the clones are paying him a nice chunk of change. He's got a pretty good senior quarterback. I think he pulls the plug after Purdy is gone. If he gets himself a freshman Adrian Martinez, that could derail his career

Scott Frost – 12-20 entering Year 4

No school has been as defiantly committed to paying egregious buyouts as Nebraska, where the cash giveaways to departed coaches have been the athletic department’s most relevant claim to fame for the past decade. The school spent nearly $28 million in buyout money over a 15-year span, according to reports last year.

Since then, Nebraska has even shown a rare commitment to paying the people who are paying the wrong people. Former AD Bill Moos was allowed to walk away with $3 million after – cough, cough, cough – retiring from his job. Giveaways are practically part of the school’s muscle memory.

Nebraska certainly appears ready to part ways with Frost and, potentially, engage in a protracted legal battle to lessen his $20 million buyout. The news coming out via the Action Network that the NCAA is investigating Nebraska for holding illegal workouts and illicit use of analysts doesn’t bode well in any way for Frost, who is 9-17 in Big Ten play.

Frost getting dragged in front of the media by new athletic director Trev Alberts to address the story is also a bad sign. Frost is chilly even in good moments, and his temperament will be closely watched this year.

During Frost’s time at Nebraska, the program has failed to establish anything close to an identity. There’s been far more misses than hits, including a home loss to Troy, and losses to Ohio State by an average of 38 points the past two years.

If Nebraska loses its Week 0 opener at Illinois, it’s hard to see Frost surviving until Christmas. Frost also can’t let Nebraska get run off the field in its final three games – Ohio State, at Wisconsin and Iowa. (Nebraska lost 115-58 combined the last time it faced each.)

Bottom line: Any manufactured optimism for this season appeared to exit with the potential NCAA issues. Alberts was brought in for a reason, and continuing the status quo of irrelevance wasn’t one of them.https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-colle...ches-facing-win-or-else-season-033254061.html

Reactions: Cornfield
No, I think he's being very selective. He finds beating the Big 12 Southern teams to be pretty easy and the clones are paying him a nice chunk of change. He's got a pretty good senior quarterback. I think he pulls the plug after Purdy is gone. If he gets himself a freshman Adrian Martinez, that could derail his career
No, he is a pussy

Fade isu this year every single week

The discussions around his job security all seem to assume that the team stays the same or gets better.

What got all the previous coaches fired is that the team got worse. We've already seen them backslide under Frost between year 1 and year 2. Hard to say if last year was worse or the same as year 2.

Don't get it twisted with Trev being the AD, he's not there to be a Frost Guy Ride or Die. Trev has his own pride in the program and he had a huge hand in pushing NU from "very good' to "juggernaut" in the mid 90s. He clearly has expectations about how that all needs to be done and he won't allow an embarrassing product in perpetuity just because Scott has a ring.
I agree with most of this. I don’t think we can possibly stick with Frost, nor will we, if his team this year lays another turd. But how in the hell do we get out of this mess by hiring a top flight coach? What really good coach in his right mind would take the job? I just think we really, really need to hope Frost proves us all wrong and has a really good season this year. Because firing him, though necessary if he flops again, means a desperate search for that elusive great coach.
One question: was Pelini fired because his teams got worse or was he actually fired because they just never got any better than perpetual 9-4 seasons?

Reactions: headcard
I agree with most of this. I don’t think we can possibly stick with Frost, nor will we, if his team this year lays another turd. But how in the hell do we get out of this mess by hiring a top flight coach? What really good coach in his right mind would take the job? I just think we really, really need to hope Frost proves us all wrong and has a really good season this year. Because firing him, though necessary if he flops again, means a desperate search for that elusive great coach.
One question: was Pelini fired because his teams got worse or was he actually fired because they just never got any better than perpetual 9-4 seasons?
I don't think it'll be that hard. We're going to have to bite the bullet and take an up and coming coach from a lower level. He's got to have a proven plan for success, the right personality and the discipline it takes to execute it. Our problem is that we think we're one year away from playing in the BCS. Frost is getting talent, but he's dropping the ball with other metrics that really matter. I don't think he's got the mental makeup to be a top coach. He's not willing to make the hard decisions.

Firstly I don't think you can't say f*@% the fans and not beat anyone with a pulse on a regular basis and get away with it.

He won 9 games against teams we had no business losing to. Fine. But not if you think you can do better. And I think Eichorst and the others thought Nebraska could.

I don't think it'll be that hard. We're going to have to bite the bullet and take an up and coming coach from a lower level. He's got to have a proven plan for success, the right personality and the discipline it takes to execute it. Our problem is that we think we're one year away from playing in the BCS. Frost is getting talent, but he's dropping the ball with other metrics that really matter. I don't think he's got the mental makeup to be a top coach. He's not willing to make the hard decisions.

We're still overcoming "The Purge"... Scott has done the foundation work, from appearances it looks as if guys are starting to buy in... If Scott is gone it's back to square one so in that essence, why not stick with who we have now that the hard work of purging the cancer has been done and give him the chance to show he was right?

I remember when he came on, most of us felt it was going to be a good 5+ year rebuild... This is year 4, let's see how things work out before going down this road 3 days before our first game

Firstly I don't think you can't say f*@% the fans and not beat anyone with a pulse on a regular basis and get away with it.

He won 9 games against teams we had no business losing to. Fine. But not if you think you can do better. And I think Eichorst and the others thought Nebraska could.
You misunderstand my point. I wanted Pelini fired and for all of the reasons you stated. I was just responding to the one little point Beav made that all of our previously fired coaches were fired because their teams got worse. I think Pelini was fired, and rightly so, because his teams never got any better than slightly above average.

Been one of the most ironic things for me to this point. I understand Frost's baby is the Oregon spread, but he's also the Nebraska option Husker Power QB. In a conference where the main thing is Run the Damn Ball, bland, smash mouth offense (minus Ohio State), he has chosen to run the pass happy spread, while more often than not, the winner of the West runs something similar to what he ran as a player, and thinks it's out dated.......just horrifically ironic to me
yep, we win 3 out of 4 nc's running the ball, then the run is considered worthless....
(because solich has folks retire on him, dan and buck fumbles and solich goes one dimensional run with crouch)
meanwhile wisconsin copies us and been winning since.

yep, we win 3 out of 4 nc's running the ball, then the run is considered worthless....
(because solich has folks retire on him, dan and buck fumbles and solich goes one dimensional run with crouch)
meanwhile wisconsin copies us and been winning since.
We'll see what happens in 3 days I guess. The video last week of Yant at FB and Steppe at RB sure gives someone some hope on adjustments being made.

Reactions: redwine65
Matt campbell is a coward who wants nothing to do with a high profile job.

Ames is a perfect destination for him, especially after they vastly underperform expectations this year.

We’d do better by folding our football program than hiring him

If MC does not want a "high profile" job, then wouldn't Nebraska be perfect for him? Given that they are years away from sniffing even the top-25?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT