ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time I watched a Spring game....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
.....and it was pretty cool... a few thoughts....:
Scott looked very comfortable and cool
Like our QBs
Love our group passion
But seriously.... is it THAT hard to catch a punt for 25,000?????

If you’ve never fielded a punt before it can be tricky. The ball accelerates at 9.8 meters/sec/sec. With a typical hang time of 4.5 seconds, that’s 2.25 seconds of acceleration. Comes out to about 55 mph. Makes for a smallish window if you’re not well practiced for you to be in the right spot and have your hands right.

If you’ve never fielded a punt before it can be tricky. The ball accelerates at 9.8 meters/sec/sec. With a typical hang time of 4.5 seconds, that’s 2.25 seconds of acceleration. Comes out to about 55 mph. Makes for a smallish window if you’re not well practiced for you to be in the right spot and have your hands right.
OK. That explains the upward trajectory, right? However, it’s more complicated than that.

What is the downward trajectory calculus...given earth’s gravity...taking the speed at the apex into consideration...and yesterday’s wind?

OK. That explains the upward trajectory, right? However, it’s more complicated than that.

What is the downward trajectory calculus...given earth’s gravity...taking the speed at the apex into consideration...and yesterday’s wind?
Speed at the apex is always zero for all projectiles (in terms of vertical velocity). Which makes sense because when the ball is at the apex in that instant it is neither going up or down, no vertical velocity. Horizontal velocity is basically constant and thus I didn’t factor it into the other calculation.

Technically the linear speed of the ball was faster than I posted because you combine the vertical and horizontal components of its velocity with a little trigonometry of course ;)

Speed at the apex is always zero for all projectiles (in terms of vertical velocity). Which makes sense because when the ball is at the apex in that instant it is neither going up or down, no vertical velocity. Horizontal velocity is basically constant and thus I didn’t factor it into the other calculation.

Technically the linear speed of the ball was faster than I posted because you combine the vertical and horizontal components of its velocity with a little trigonometry of course ;)

Wind? Wobble of ball (more spiral or less spiral)?

Reactions: huskerfan66
In addition to the physics you need to calculate the psychological obstacles that need to be overcome knowing there are 86000 fans in the stadium all secretly hoping you botch the attempt so they can rip you on social media and proclaim how they could have fielded the punt in their sleep

In addition to the physics you need to calculate the psychological obstacles that need to be overcome knowing there are 86000 fans in the stadium all secretly hoping you botch the attempt so they can rip you on social media and proclaim how they could have fielded the punt in their sleep

Hard to calculate the psychological factors...at least for now. Knowing if he practiced, got good sleep the night before, was sober, etc. would factor in but would be hard to measure.

Maybe that's santio panicio was the returner.

I’m adding this question to my Functions (college class) final.

At the end of practices we would goof around and punt to some of the players...it could get them out of conditioning if they caught it...it was always a riot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT