ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the P5 Conferences for the '23 Season

I feel like a lot of people on this board don't value the Big 12 as highly as I (you) do. Maybe I haven't read the opinions that say otherwise and just see the ones against it...but it feels like the Big 12 doesn't get much respect on this board.
It's not just the people on this board.

Here's a list of schools who we know of who don't value the B12 highly, if at all:

Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Missouri
Nebraska
Colorado

That's about the same number of schools who are known not to value the PAC 12 very highly, if at all.

Reactions: king_kong_
1. SEC
2. Big 12
3. Pac 12
T4. ACC/B1G

SEC far and away the best. not even close.

Big 12 will be just as good if not better than last year's group, which saw its 2nd place team make a run to the National Title game

Pac 12 might be the most fun conference in its final year of existence. most of the nation's best and most experienced quarterbacks are out west.

ACC looks a little B1G-ish with two teams far and away above the rest (Clemson, FSU)

B1G is the league with the most variance, as nearly half the teams are debuting new coaches and only 2 QBs with any kind of accomplishments return. one for that faux blue blood up north and the other is Tua's little brother. lot of other conference retreads taking their first B1G snaps this fall. might be an especially crappy year for our beloved B1G.
Big ten has 3 playoff caliber teams and will have 10-12 bowl eligible teams if you care about that. Rutger and iu aren't bowl teams. Everyone else has a legit shot. They aren't the worst p5 conference.

Reactions: huntered
Big ten has 3 playoff caliber teams and will have 10-12 bowl eligible teams if you care about that. Rutger and iu aren't bowl teams. Everyone else has a legit shot. They aren't the worst p5 conference.
you're right

they're tied for the worst

along with 3 "playoff caliber" teams (LOL), B1G also boasts 3 10+ loss caliber teams (nw, indiana, rutgers among the worst P5 teams in the country)

We had antirowboat, that was entertainment value.
Truth Tru GIF

1. SEC
2. Big 12
3. Pac 12
T4. ACC/B1G

SEC far and away the best. not even close.

Big 12 will be just as good if not better than last year's group, which saw its 2nd place team make a run to the National Title game

Pac 12 might be the most fun conference in its final year of existence. most of the nation's best and most experienced quarterbacks are out west.

ACC looks a little B1G-ish with two teams far and away above the rest (Clemson, FSU)

B1G is the league with the most variance, as nearly half the teams are debuting new coaches and only 2 QBs with any kind of accomplishments return. one for that faux blue blood up north and the other is Tua's little brother. lot of other conference retreads taking their first B1G snaps this fall. might be an especially crappy year for our beloved B1G.
Now name which teams wouldn’t drop their conference in #2 or #3 or tied for #4 in a heartbeat to join the B1G?

Sort of irrelevant though. They would join for the money, not because Big Ten teams are winning or competing for titles.
I suppose the relevancy is that if you are in the B1G the top team will ALWAYS be in the playoff - which is not the case for the ACC/Big12/Pac12. When playoffs expand teams from the SEC and B1G will likely have the top 2-3 make the playoff whereas the other conferences will not (edited: have as many).

I suppose the relevancy is that if you are in the B1G the top team will ALWAYS be in the playoff - which is not the case for the ACC/Big12/Pac12. When playoffs expand teams from the SEC and B1G will likely have the top 2-3 make the playoff whereas the other conferences will not.
B1G wasn't represented in 2018 or 2019

1-7 last 8 playoff games

it's my sincere hope that this year we have 2 SEC teams, Clemson or FSU and the Pac 12 champ or 1-loss ND

that's a true playoff instead of just a gimme 1st round game against some slow shitty B1G team incapable of competing at a national level that only gets in because half the media went to northwestern or is 80 years old or worse both

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
B1G wasn't represented in 2018 or 2019

1-7 last 8 playoff games

it's my sincere hope that this year we have 2 SEC teams, Clemson or FSU and the Pac 12 champ or 1-loss ND

that's a true playoff instead of just a gimme 1st round game against some slow shitty B1G team incapable of competing at a national level that only gets in because half the media went to northwestern or is 80 years old or worse both
I stand corrected on 18 but I believe 19 had O State.

Also I don’t disagree with your last paragraph. But if it came down to having to decide between a 1 loss team from any conference B1G would get in vs the Big12/ACCPAC12

I suppose the relevancy is that if you are in the B1G the top team will ALWAYS be in the playoff - which is not the case for the ACC/Big12/Pac12. When playoffs expand teams from the SEC and B1G will likely have the top 2-3 make the playoff whereas the other conferences will not.
Well considering the conference champ from 6 leagues will make the playoff, I would disagree. ACC can definitely get 2 or 3, new look Big 12 will be tougher, at least early, because of the lack of a traditional power. But there are solid teams that could find themselves on a Clemson like trajectory. Utah, Baylor, TCU, Cincinnati to name a few.

pennst new QB

ohiost new QB and starting a transfer from a G5 school at LT
Pedo St does have a new QB. But I’ll say this about Allar, he’s got the highest ceiling of all QBs in B1G and it’s not close. Maybe Clifford was blowing Franklin or what not, but Allar should have unseated that bozo for starting QB and never looked back.

How OSU let that kid out of their backyard is bewildering. He’s Josh Allen 2.0

Pedo St does have a new QB. But I’ll say this about Allar, he’s got the highest ceiling of all QBs in B1G and it’s not close. Maybe Clifford was blowing Franklin or what not, but Allar should have unseated that bozo for starting QB and never looked back.

How OSU let that kid out of their backyard is bewildering. He’s Josh Allen 2.0
yea I thought he looked like an NFLer last year in his limited exposure

never know, though. penn st hasn't had a true gamer since, what, Kerry Collins?

popular opinion is their coach doesn't seem to do them any favors, either

yea I thought he looked like an NFLer last year in his limited exposure

never know, though. penn st hasn't had a true gamer since, what, Kerry Collins?

popular opinion is their coach doesn't seem to do them any favors, either
They had a good competitor in McSorely. He wasn’t an NFL type but the kid played his ass off.

Allar could be good enough to beat UM and OSU. I have Pedo St as a dark horse playoff team as well as Texas. Love their QBs even though their coaches are most likely stone cold losers

that's in everyone's unbiased opinion

the SEC and Big 12 win basically all the championships in football, basketball and baseball

there's literally no argument against
Correct except the ACC rules in the basketball department. They have the titles to back it up.....

It'll be interesting to see how bad Franklin ****s up PSU this year. Their roster is insanely talented and their RB's are unbelievable. With that said, Franklin is not a top tier coach and he is going to cost that team probably 2-3 losses that they should have no business in losing. Their roster is top tier and if Franklin makes a jump they could easily win the B1G because Franklin is a recruiting machine.

you're right

they're tied for the worst

along with 3 "playoff caliber" teams (LOL), B1G also boasts 3 10+ loss caliber teams (nw, indiana, rutgers among the worst P5 teams in the country)
Iu won't have 10 losses. Can't speak on rutger and northwestern. Guess we should schedule northeast community College 3 times like the SEC.

• Haha
Iu won't have 10 losses. Can't speak on rutger and northwestern. Guess we should schedule northeast community College 3 times like the SEC.
You think the “10-12” B1G bowl teams play anyone in the non-con?

Lol

My criteria is more based on entertainment value, including geography and strength of brands:

B1G (greater geographic diversity, huge brands even if amongst a handful of historical crap)

SEC (hate SEC, but they're good at what they do)

Acc/B12 - split for now. If ACC can somehow convince Notre Dame to fully join, plus adding Stanford, they take a clear step above the new B12.

Then everybody else.

What P5 conference does Fresno St compete in?
Haha whoops. Forgot about them. Wish Purdue was playing Indiana State... no pushovers for the new coach. Love it. My point remains though. I get it, you love to hate the big ten. OSU beats Georgia if they don't cheap shot Harrison last year. Michigan just choked. Lol those 2 and PSU belong with the top of the SEC. Hard to argue otherwise. The middle of the pack SEC is no different than middle of the pack big ten.

• Haha
Haha whoops. Forgot about them. Wish Purdue was playing Indiana State... no pushovers for the new coach. Love it. My point remains though. I get it, you love to hate the big ten. OSU beats Georgia if they don't cheap shot Harrison last year. Michigan just choked. Lol those 2 and PSU belong with the top of the SEC. Hard to argue otherwise. The middle of the pack SEC is no different than middle of the pack big ten.
They were close

• Haha
Umm, no they don’t. Super easy to argue otherwise - ohiost and Mich and pennst NEVER beat the top of the SEC.

They’re a lot different in the middle, too. Illinois, for example, is ecstatic about receiving Ole Miss’s 4th string QB. Immediate day 1 starter for them.

Anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain can see that.

pennst new QB

ohiost new QB and starting a transfer from a G5 school at LT
PSU will be interesting. I wonder if they will be better with a new QB, almost addition by subtraction.

I could see them beating OSU or Michigan but then crapping the bed against some lame team on the road at 11am with a stadium that is half full.

Umm, no they don’t. Super easy to argue otherwise - ohiost and Mich and pennst NEVER beat the top of the SEC.

They’re a lot different in the middle, too. Illinois, for example, is ecstatic about receiving Ole Miss’s 4th string QB. Immediate day 1 starter for them.

Anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain can see that.
And guys that played on Purdue's DL last year are starters for USC and Miami and auburn. Mississippi state just took a cornerback that couldn't crack the two drops this year. Burrow couldn't cut it at osu. LSU took him right in, instant starter.

Illinois will start anyone at QB because no one wants to play QB for Bert. It's why Card is at Purdue over Illinois.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT