ADVERTISEMENT

Final Team Recruiting Ranking and Playoff Thoughts

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
Just a quick note:

We are 18th on Rivals.
We are 20th on 247 Sports.

On both services, the next ranked team is North Carolina, which has 26 recruits. We are VERY close to them in our total numbers, so the thought is, if we add 1-2 more players, like we seem to be intending to do with this visiting WR and then a second pick-up at some point, and we land at 26 players total, we will leap-frog UNC to be the 17th (Rivals) and 19th (247) ranked classes in the country. We probably won't jump over Miami and Oregon, who are the next teams above UNC in the rankings.

Just a little FYI. I like seeing us consistently in the Top 20. First this for a few years, then bowl games, followed by Big Ten Championship appearances, then actually winning the championship and making a run for the playoff. It's alllll coming together...

Oh lastly, I was talking about this with a co-worker the other day: I think pretty soon now they are going to expand the playoff to 8 teams. It would only be 1 extra game, and as it is right now, there are too many of these bowl games that don't have anything to do with the title anymore.

Thoughts on how it would work:

1.) The winner of each championship game in the Power 5 is automatically in.
2.) The highest ranked team from the other Group of 5 conferences gets in.
3.) The last two spots are reserved for any team in the Top 10 who is not one of the above two categories, by ranking.

You could also do a similar thing that simply goes off of ranking; the top 8 teams in the country get in, period.

Thoughts?

Reactions: timnsun
Just a quick note:

We are 18th on Rivals.

On both services, the next ranked team is North Carolina, which has 26 recruits. We are VERY close to them in our total numbers, so the thought is, if we add 1-2 more players, like we seem to be intending to do with this visiting WR and then a second pick-up at some point, and we land at 26 players total, we will leap-frog UNC to be the 17th (Rivals) and 19th (247) ranked classes in the country. We probably won't jump over Miami and Oregon, who are the next teams above UNC in the rankings.

Just a little FYI. I like seeing us consistently in the Top 20. First this for a few years, then bowl games, followed by Big Ten Championship appearances, then actually winning the championship and making a run for the playoff. It's alllll coming together...

Oh lastly, I was talking about this with a co-worker the other day: I think pretty soon now they are going to expand the playoff to 8 teams. It would only be 1 extra game, and as it is right now, there are too many of these bowl games that don't have anything to do with the title anymore.

3.) The last two spots are reserved for any team in the Top 10 who is not one of the above two categories, by ranking.

You could also do a similar thing that simply goes off of ranking; the top 8 teams in the country get in, period.

Thoughts?
Number of recruits doesn't really matter, because only the top 20 recruits are the ones used for rankings. So in order to move up in rankings any recruits brought in would have to be higher ranked than the current top 20 players we already have.

Number of recruits doesn't really matter, because only the top 20 recruits are the ones used for rankings. So in order to move up in rankings any recruits brought in would have to be higher ranked than the current top 20 players we already have.

I believe that is true of this site (Rivals), but is that true of 247 Sports? I don't think it is.

Anyway, that one kid Kris Abrams-Draine is a fairly highly ranked 3 star/low 4 star, so I would imagine he would likely be included.

Reactions: husker2612
I believe that is true of this site (Rivals), but is that true of 247 Sports? I don't think it is.

Anyway, that one kid Kris Abrams-Draine is a fairly highly ranked 3 star/low 4 star, so I would imagine he would likely be included.
Could be, not sure.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Always felt like 8 was the right number for the college football playoff system. It allows for one slip-up during the year, and also adds a little more excitement to see if a #7 or #8 can pull it off. Power to the underdogs!

That said, I hope it stops at 8. Going beyond 8 would add too much injury risk and would begin to de-value the regular season. If you aren't one of the top 8 teams in the country, stop crying about not having a chance...

Go to 8...and Georgia and Bama would have been in...for the SEC haters, seems odd you'd want more SEC teams...and in some years, they'd make up half the field.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Go to 8...and Georgia and Bama would have been in...for the SEC haters, seems odd you'd want more SEC teams...and in some years, they'd make up half the field.
Conferences, shmonferences.
I don't really care if the SEC dominates the playoffs. They already do. Put the best teams in head-to-head matchups and settle it on the field.

Reactions: oldjar07
You guys all are making excellent points.

As to the idea that adding games equals more injuries, it's absolutely true. It's also why overtime in football in both college and pro levels DRAMATICALLY increases the risk of injury (I think the stat is it goes up by at least 50% in the first overtime quarter). More impact, more abuse, being more tired, being more angry, whatever it is, yields much worse injury outcomes.

So, I would say this: 1 extra game is already pushing it. We would never want more than 8 teams. If we did, we would have to get very single conference that this applies to to shorten their regular season, which I am not opposed to but is a pretty big hassle to get everyone on the same page about. As it is, we can't even get SEC teams to stop playing cupcake squads for their first non-conference games.

Just a quick note:

We are 18th on Rivals.

Thoughts?
Rivals only counts top 20 players, so unless Nebraska lands a recruit higher ranked then the 20th ranked recruit it will make no difference. Recruits 21 thru what ever the class size had no bearing on the rankings

Conferences, shmonferences.
I don't really care if the SEC dominates the playoffs. They already do. Put the best teams in head-to-head matchups and settle it on the field.

They already do that. Settle it on the field I mean. Never in the history of CFB can you make a legitimate argument the #8 team got screwed out of a national title.

They already do that. Settle it on the field I mean. Never in the history of CFB can you make a legitimate argument the #8 team got screwed out of a national title.

If you use this year as a
example, you will find that other than Oregon who also had plenty of chances to be in the 4 team playoff, that everyone else had their shot and was eliminated like in LOST.

How would you work it and keep the New Years top bowls involved?

Always felt like 8 was the right number for the college football playoff system. It allows for one slip-up during the year, and also adds a little more excitement to see if a #7 or #8 can pull it off. Power to the underdogs!

That said, I hope it stops at 8. ...
The first year after an 8 team playoff there would be calls to expand it to 12 or 16. It is much easier to figure out who the top 2-3 teams are, once you get to numbers 5-8 there it is not so clear that they are more deserving than numbers 9-12. Also, there have been several one loss teams in the playoffs since 2015.

I want a 9 time playoff with 8 and 9 being a mid December playoff game between the two highest ranked non power 5 teams. Make it that weekend after the Conference championship games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT