ADVERTISEMENT

Final 17th on Rivals and 19th on 247.

Iowa State mostly, but yeah. ISU started recruiting faster players less regionally and they started doing well in conference but still had trouble with Iowa. The only time ISU seems to get Iowa is when ISU has an above average line. Spectacular position players make a team great in the B12 but line play is what seems to win in the B10.

My bad for sharing an opinion.
Iowa couldn't stop Trey Palmer last year. I don't have any concern with recruiting speed and playing that speed against a slow team like Iowa.

Iowa couldn't stop Trey Palmer last year. I don't have any concern with recruiting speed and playing that speed against a slow team like Iowa.
Is your measuring stick how well Nebraska does against Iowa? That is traditionally the ruler that ISU uses. Lately it hasn’t been that way, fortunately.

Is your measuring stick how well Nebraska does against Iowa? That is traditionally the ruler that ISU uses. Lately it hasn’t been that way, fortunately.
You're the idiot who brought up speed against Iowa.

"Iowa State mostly, but yeah. ISU started recruiting faster players less regionally and they started doing well in conference but still had trouble with Iowa. The only time ISU seems to get Iowa is when ISU has an above average line. Spectacular position players make a team great in the B12 but line play is what seems to win in the B10."

Reactions: headcard
You're the idiot who brought up speed against Iowa.

"Iowa State mostly, but yeah. ISU started recruiting faster players less regionally and they started doing well in conference but still had trouble with Iowa. The only time ISU seems to get Iowa is when ISU has an above average line. Spectacular position players make a team great in the B12 but line play is what seems to win in the B10."
Actually you’re the one who brought up speed against Iowa. See your post that was replying to.

My only comparison to Iowa is the way Rhule has extended offers to mid tier local guys.

From what I've seen so far, Rhule is going to sign large recruiting classes and will be aggressive in the portal as well. He's grabbing guys he likes regardless of recruiting ranking and building his program. He's hitting Nebraska, the nearby states, and Texas really hard. I think he understands that if he can get enough good players, that he wants, into the program he can deal with the volatility of the portal. He can develop the guys that stay and work with the new transfers as well.

I think past staffs have gone for the higher ranked guys on the list first, failed late, then had to scramble for talent when they didn't account for attrition. Might be wishful thinking but he seems well organized. I wish we were in a position to just take highly ranked guys like Georgia, Ohio State etc. but we aren't right now. He's not going to be left empty handed on signing day.

From what I've seen so far, Rhule is going to sign large recruiting classes and will be aggressive in the portal as well. He's grabbing guys he likes regardless of recruiting ranking and building his program. He's hitting Nebraska, the nearby states, and Texas really hard. I think he understands that if he can get enough good players, that he wants, into the program he can deal with the volatility of the portal. He can develop the guys that stay and work with the new transfers as well.

I think past staffs have gone for the higher ranked guys on the list first, failed late, then had to scramble for talent when they didn't account for attrition. Might be wishful thinking but he seems well organized. I wish we were in a position to just take highly ranked guys like Georgia, Ohio State etc. but we aren't right now. He's not going to be left empty handed on signing day.
30 of our 45 last signings or commitments have come from Texas/Nebraska or states adjacent to Nebraska. They are working overtime in those areas. They likely know those players really well, they aren't guessing/hoping like Frost.

In other words, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do. I appreciate a guy who commits to a plan.

I know some of you won’t want to hear it but this class looks a lot like Iowa’s recruiting. Early commits from solid three star local athletes. A high rating early on, but once the perennial powers start filling out their classes, that rating will drop.

It’s not a bad formula. It’s different for Nebraska. You aren’t going to have high ceiling guys but you will probably get guys who are willing to buy into the system as long as Rhule can develop them. I think it’s a really good thing.

Hard to argue with much of this. And it's not a bad thing. Along with what you mentioned, early recruiting momentum certainly doesn't hurt with recruiting over the coming months.

Really, the only concern I see, is Rhule is really making speed the main factor on a lot of these recruits, which probably worked well in the B12, but I’m not sure that’s going to work quite as well in the B10 where most teams are large and will have really solid line play and pro style game plans.

As for this, speed and size are not mutually exclusive. Rhule may put an emphasis on speed, but he's got some big boys in this class as well. Plus he's had time to evaluate what he's got and he knows what he needs. After watching us the last couple years, including the spring game, I'd be emphasizing recruiting some speed too. You're acting like you can only win in the B1G if you're big and slow. And that Rhule is only recruiting a bunch of tiny little speedsters. Neither is true.

Reactions: BleedRed78
… but then I still have Scott Frost shirts hanging in my closet 🙄
Time to channel Gandhi and burn the offending garments.

mahatma-gandhi-performing-havan-fire-ceremony-of-laying-stone-allahabad-india-asia-november-19-1939-WPDBHF.jpg

• Haha
You do realize Nebraska fires coaches after beating lowly iowa, right? Iowa and you both suck big donkey balls.

• Haha
Reactions: Laner2
We finished 83rd of 109 FBS teams and people complaining that we don’t have a top 10 recruiting class is absolutely laughable. As it stands now Rhule is punching above his weight in recruiting - saying we don’t win conference championships with the recruits coming in now is nuts. Let’s win more games than we lose for once - let’s end the longest active bowl-less streak in all of football. Then build on those gains with better recruits. Some of you need to take an honest evaluation of where our program is.

I’ll take Rhule developing 2-3 stars into starters over frost bringing in 4 stars and developing them to 1-2 stars or leaving without contributing.

Also complaining about it in June is bonkers as well.

Hard to argue with much of this. And it's not a bad thing. Along with what you mentioned, early recruiting momentum certainly doesn't hurt with recruiting over the coming months.

As for this, speed and size are not mutually exclusive. Rhule may put an emphasis on speed, but he's got some big boys in this class as well. Plus he's had time to evaluate what he's got and he knows what he needs. After watching us the last couple years, including the spring game, I'd be emphasizing recruiting some speed too. You're acting like you can only win in the B1G if you're big and slow. And that Rhule is only recruiting a bunch of tiny little speedsters. Neither is true.
And one thing to take into account, so far he is recruiting relatively tall speed. He's not recruiting a bunch of 5'9" guys. So my guess is he is used to putting good weight on these tall, skinny track guys.

Looks like he actually wants a little shorter, stouter guys on the OL. Not 6'9" OL.

A trend is developing for each position and I'm guessing we see that his whole time here.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You do realize Nebraska fires coaches after beating lowly iowa, right? Iowa and you both suck big donkey balls.
The last two coaches Nebraska fired never beat Iowa and Frost got an extension after starting 8-13. I’m sure you’ll be intellectually dishonest and bring up Mickey Joseph, however.

The last two coaches Nebraska fired never beat Iowa and Frost got an extension after starting 8-13. I’m sure you’ll be intellectually dishonest and bring up Mickey Joseph, however.

I think the better stat is that Ferentz doesn't have a great record against Nebraska coaches not named Frost or Riley. I would expect that to continue, and I suspect you begrudgingly agree, which is why you spend so much time on a Nebraska football message board.

it’s hilarious that you would put an asterisk next to Mickey Joseph … interim head coach working with an absolute dumpster fire and coaching for the head coach job. I don’t see how it’s intellectually dishonest to mention him. You had everything to play for - Senior Night, at Home for a trip to Indy and Joseph curbstomped your team. But yeah, let’s gloss over it.

Also - I find it odd that you would openly advertise SW Iowa in your name.

We finished 83rd of 109 FBS teams and people complaining that we don’t have a top 10 recruiting class is absolutely laughable. As it stands now Rhule is punching above his weight in recruiting - saying we don’t win conference championships with the recruits coming in now is nuts. Let’s win more games than we lose for once - let’s end the longest active bowl-less streak in all of football. Then build on those gains with better recruits. Some of you need to take an honest evaluation of where our program is.

I’ll take Rhule developing 2-3 stars into starters over frost bringing in 4 stars and developing them to 1-2 stars or leaving without contributing.

Also complaining about it in June is bonkers as well.

Eh, I think most of this thread is your typical fan bellcurve. It is a little crazy to complain in June that our recruiting isn't good enough after how bad we've been and these types of recruits aren't going to win titles and blah blah blah. However, it's equally as bonkers to be overly excited and drop "boom" gifs and act like we just hit the recruiting lottery over 0-3 stars with no other P5 offers and a top 20 class in June and blah blah blah. In case you haven't noticed, some fans like to be extremists.

it’s hilarious that you would put an asterisk next to Mickey Joseph … interim head coach working with an absolute dumpster fire and coaching for the head coach job. I don’t see how it’s intellectually dishonest to mention him. You had everything to play for - Senior Night, at Home for a trip to Indy and Joseph curbstomped your team. But yeah, let’s gloss over it.

Also - I find it odd that you would openly advertise SW Iowa in your name.

I think he was referring to the fact that, although Mickey Joseph was indeed fired after beating Iowa, his actual football coaching had nothing to do with it, hence the asterisk i.e. that one doesn't really count.

I think he was referring to the fact that, although Mickey Joseph was indeed fired after beating Iowa, his actual football coaching had nothing to do with it, hence the asterisk i.e. that one doesn't really count.
Not sure I agree. Had he turned the team around and gone bowling it would have been hard to not offer him the job. He didn’t do that. How is that not being judged on actual coaching?

Not sure I agree. Had he turned the team around and gone bowling it would have been hard to not offer him the job. He didn’t do that. How is that not being judged on actual coaching?
Due to the fact that he was technically still on staff and there was talk of him possibly being retained by Rhule until he got arrested. Either way, Mickey wasn't being retained as the head coach whether he beat Iowa or not, which is what the initial point was. We're kind of arguing over semantics here and it was a pretty stupid argument to begin with.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
These commits are a good foundation for a class and seem like the type who will stick with us if the season goes off the rails. If we have a great season and highly rated players become more interested, I'm sure the staff will make room.

Due to the fact that he was technically still on staff and there was talk of him possibly being retained by Rhule until he got arrested. Either way, Mickey wasn't being retained as the head coach whether he beat Iowa or not, which is what the initial point was. We're kind of arguing over semantics here and it was a pretty stupid argument to begin with.
That’s what happens when Iowa fans get involved😁

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I think Mickey could have done well if he didn't have the domestic situation. The team improved with him and he was probably the best recruiter we've had in a long time. With his connections he'd be getting some studs in here regularly.

I think Mickey could have done well if he didn't have the domestic situation. The team improved with him and he was probably the best recruiter we've had in a long time. With his connections he'd be getting some studs in here regularly.
He wasn't going to be around long either way. Stability wise it probably turned out ok. I also hate the thought of him recruiting a bunch of kids from down south and then they all leave when he got a HC job a year later.

I see what you’re saying now… misunderstood your previous post. Thanks for clarifying.

With our recent luck I'm surprised we didn't hire him then have to deal with the domestic situation after. We'd be borked. I hope he ends up on his feet but we ended up with a guy that is 100% committed to being a HC. I'm glad for it.

Reactions: salsa red
Aside from Michigan, OSU and probably PSU who recruit at elite levels (USC next year) -the best of the rest in this conference is determined by who gets the most out of their 3 star recruits and the occasional 4* sprinkles

Aside from Michigan, OSU and probably PSU who recruit at elite levels (USC next year) -the best of the rest in this conference is determined by who gets the most out of their 3 star recruits and the occasional 4* sprinkles
Occasional 4* sprinkles? You need to learn what the words occasional and sprinkles mean.

Occasional 4* sprinkles? You need to learn what the words occasional and sprinkles mean.
It means the percentage of your recruiting class made up of 4-5* recruits is much less than the teams I mentioned all of which by some odd coincidence are ranked in the preseason top 10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT