ADVERTISEMENT

Farniok

phoenix4nu

Offensive Coordinator
May 10, 2009
He had four penalties tonight. You would think that would be enough to get a player benched, especially after all the emphasis on avoiding penalties.

I agree, probably don’t have the depth to, though.

I did notice a cleaner pocket for Martinez toward the end, hopefully not just a result of Wiscy letting up.

This. We just don't have many (any?) D1 tackles on the roster.
The new staff is going to fix that situation. The problem is most tackles have to be developed over a couple years. So for the next two years, Farniak may have to keep the right tackle job.

Reactions: tpmcg
If Gates wouldn't have left he could be starting at RT and Farniok at RG right now. That being said, I don't think Gates could have handled Frost, he would have quit in the spring.

The whole team plays on their heels, never see them relaxed or having much fun. Hate to say it, but they peaked after their last score against Colorado, just going through the motions for the most part with a spurt of success here and there, but not ever threatening to win.

Its one thing to practice great. Another to fail terribly in a real situation.

If he continues to start, I will trust, that whoever is behind him is worse
If they are practicing better than playing, that tells me how bad our defense front is. Only see good competition by playing a game. The flip of that is the same. We just need better talent on both lines.

Reactions: morninghusker
If they are practicing better than playing, that tells me how bad our defense front is. Only see good competition by playing a game. The flip of that is the same. We just need better talent on both lines.

We better use the majority of our last 8-10 scholarships in this 2019 class for offensive and defensive lineman and a couple of cornerbacks to go along with them..

Reactions: huskerfan66
The new staff is going to fix that situation. The problem is most tackles have to be developed over a couple years. So for the next two years, Farniak may have to keep the right tackle job.
We are after a couple JUCO OT’s, if we can get one, I think Farniok will slide inside.

Anderson is going to be a nice fit down the road for this offense but will need time for strength.

A Juco that can move with agility is a must.

We better use the majority of our last 8-10 scholarships in this 2019 class for offensive and defensive lineman and a couple of cornerbacks to go along with them..

We need about 3 more wide receivers in this class as well. We have no good receivers returning next year besides Spielman.

I understand what you’re saying. But does mean he can commit an unlimited number of penalties without any consequences? There must be someone they can put in there, at least temporarily, to show him that there are consequences.

Another year will help us on the OL. A lot of what Frost is doing doesn't require physical freaks on the OL, but they do need to be mature enough to handle the game at the B10 level. Beyond that they have to be athletic enough to move and to be able to play together through some complicated exchanges/coordination. The blocking rules are relatively simple on paper, but not so much against shifting/changing fronts, blitzes, etc.

Or actually play hard in practice. There's no reason we shouldn't be going 100% at all times in practice.

One thing I’ll ask: Are these positions really so specialized that they can’t switch over a spot or two? It’s not exactly as if we’re asking Farniok to go from pitcher to catcher here.

I thought these dudes were athletes? I was around several OL at NU back in the day, and I swear, they could all have been running backs, albeit, slower.

One thing I’ll ask: Are these positions really so specialized that they can’t switch over a spot or two? It’s not exactly as if we’re asking Farniok to go from pitcher to catcher here.

I thought these dudes were athletes? I was around several OL at NU back in the day, and I swear, they could all have been running backs, albeit, slower.

The Hawaiian dude for Wisconsin can do back flips at 330

Steinkuhler may be faster than some of the RBs we've had lately ;)

We will move them around a bit, but they are struggling to figure things out in general right now. A year will help us a lot on the OL, IMO

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
The Hawaiian dude for Wisconsin can do back flips at 330
He also walks backwards to class, in the snow, wearing shorts, pulling a 2000lb horse behind him.

But I get what you’re saying. Even the big dudes playing fbs are more coordinated than us little guys. Funny story, I went to high school with a guy who went on to be an OL at Nebraska, and was a possible nfl draft pick.

I could outbench him due to my shorter arms. Him 6’4” ; me 5’9”. Yet, we would play a game where I’d ask him to just push me as hard as he could. He literally shoved me across the entire floor of one of the dorms, and I flipped over a couch. I weighed about 185 then.

I understand what you’re saying. But does mean he can commit an unlimited number of penalties without any consequences? There must be someone they can put in there, at least temporarily, to show him that there are consequences.
I agree with that. If a player is making careless mistakes, his level of concern needs to be raised and the best place to do that is on the bench. This staff is supposed to be investing time in-season with the backup linemen (something that happens at Iowa & Wisconsin, but hasn't happened here in years) so hopefully there will be a backup who proves himself to the point where he can sub for a guy who is playing poorly or a guy who is playing injured.

I agree. If we had someone better, after all those holding calls, he would be playing.
I will say this, I believe all of his calls were holding calls, some maybe because you can be trying to hard and not releasing when you feel a player slipping away. The refs were clearly looking for holding calls against our OL. O-lineman hold on every play, but most of the time they get away with it, we just so happened were not that lucky. People also need to remember that we are playing 3 sophomores out of necessity. Not sure how many great --Nebraska teams started three sophomores on the o-line, usually it takes college kids 2-3 years in a program before becoming contributors at that position.

He had four penalties tonight. You would think that would be enough to get a player benched, especially after all the emphasis on avoiding penalties.
Farmer had a few too along with Foster..Was not suprised to not see them interview after game.

Reactions: TFrazier
I will say this, I believe all of his calls were holding calls, some maybe because you can be trying to hard and not releasing when you feel a player slipping away. The refs were clearly looking for holding calls against our OL. O-lineman hold on every play, but most of the time they get away with it, we just so happened were not that lucky. People also need to remember that we are playing 3 sophomores out of necessity. Not sure how many great --Nebraska teams started three sophomores on the o-line, usually it takes college kids 2-3 years in a program before becoming contributors at that position.
When you have the reputation of a highly penalized team you will definitely get the attention of the officiating crews. They don't live in a bubble. Pretty sure they scout who they are officiating whether it be officially or unofficially.

Unless Bland can play OT like he has at times.

When you have the reputation of a highly penalized team you will definitely get the attention of the officiating crews. They don't live in a bubble. Pretty sure they scout who they are officiating whether it be officially or unofficially.
Guess I can understand why they would scout a teams tendency but it also puts in their minds that team A is penalty pron just a natural human reaction to basically make bad call because they've been thinking about them

Reactions: huskerfan66
It's called using peds

He's Samoan. Those guys are just genetic freaks. There's a Samoan guy in my gym that has the biggest calves I've ever seen in my life. They look like basketballs on his legs. He's probably 6'2" 320. His kids played football at Oregon. He has another on the way that's a sophomore and already a 215 pound LB. May have to get in his ear a bit about NU. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT