ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

How do you know if the receiver took an angle that was to shallow. What if he took a stronger angle he would have had inside position on the db.
Unless it was a corner route, which it wasn't, couldn't the QB just throw the receiver open?

The video isn't great for detail, but it looks like the receiver (who was slotted at the 34/35 yard line) ran something like a soft arc from 3-4 yards inside the right hash to @ 2 yards to the inside of the left hash. There was nothing sharp about any angle he ran.

In college football, the hash marks are 40' apart, so lets say 13 1/3 yards between them. So from start to finish, he probably flared out no more than 7 yards in the entire route.

Without a full field view we can't tell if the receiver ran to within a couple yards of the left hash and then just went straight, or if he was just gradually getting to the 2 yards inside the left hash, or if earlier in the route he ran to the hash and then made a soft cut off the hash.

If purdy had any juice in his arm after loading up and giving it all he’s got it’s a walk in TD

if purdy ever starts for us, it’ll be back to the AM offense - 3rd and 8? QB draw
Since Chubba is the coaches #2 guy, we still need him to operate at his highest level. If he is lacking some juice on his throws, I just hope the coaches have packages that don't cause him to extend his arm.

As a fan, I'm more concerned with his tendency to throw high on his throws to the left. High throws, especially inside throws, lead to tipped passes that lead to bad things.

Since he's our #2 guy, he has to be ready to come in and show us fans (not that it's important) why he's the #2 and not the #3 guy.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Since Chubba is the coaches #2 guy, we still need him to operate at his highest level. If he is lacking some juice on his throws, I just hope the coaches have packages that don't cause him to extend his arm.

As a fan, I'm more concerned with his tendency to throw high on his throws to the left. High throws, especially inside throws, lead to tipped passes that lead to bad things.

Since he's our #2 guy, he has to be ready to come in and show us fans (not that it's important) why he's the #2 and not the #3 guy.
The package that doesn’t extend his arm is also known as our offense the last 4 years

The package that doesn’t extend his arm is also known as our offense the last 4 years
I'm still in a positive mode for this football team. We've seen enough film on Thompson to kinda know what he brings to the throwing game. When the juice flows in a game, hopefully he stays within himself and give plays time to develop.

Because Chubba is inexperienced, maybe he plays lights out and shows he can do the job of helping to win games.

We already know what Logan brings to the table. He's a decent QB and NU can win some games with him at the helm. It's just the Michigan, Wiscy, Iowa, Oklahoma games that may be a bit much for his overall style of game.

The same could/may be true of both Thompson and Purdy, too.

I actually have more concern with how Teddy and Corcoran are right out of the gate. As well as how much, if any Benhart has improved at RT. And how well does Nash, Wynn, and Drew bring to the table on the DLine. I'm more concerned about guys who WILL DEFINITELY PLAY, than someone like Chubba who may or may not play.

Seems like there’s been surprisingly little detail released about last Sunday’s scrimmage. I really thought we’d hear a lot more about it.

Blaise supposedly had a good day, which was nice to hear, but it’s been pretty quiet.

Seems like there’s been surprisingly little detail released about last Sunday’s scrimmage. I really thought we’d hear a lot more about it.

Blaise supposedly had a good day, which was nice to hear, but it’s been pretty quiet.
The big rumor /joke is that Scott Frost is the defacto OL coach, or something to this effect. Continued rumors about run blocking being very good, but pass blocking being a big concern. People are wondering how Whip is going to run the offense if it's more productive running the ball etc. I want to say there is an episode of Doc Talk that supposedly has some info on this accusation (haven't listened myself)

DeColdest Nil Ad with SOS Heating and Cooling racked up 5 mil twitter views

As for the scrimmage, I heard both QB's are playing well, the side note was Purdy continues to push Thompson.

Last edited:

Now that he's up to speed with injuries in the rear view, I expect a lot from him. He's got a big motor and plays with bad intentions. I am hoping for play like Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Reactions: HominidHusker
The big rumor talk is that Scott Frost is the defacto OL coach, or something to this effect. Continued rumors about run blocking being very good, but pass blocking being a big concern. People are wondering how Whip is going to run the offense if it's more productive running the ball etc. I want to say there is an episode of Doc Talk that supposedly has some info on this accusation (haven't listened myself)

As for the scrimmage, I heard both QB's are playing well, the side note was Purdy continues to push Thompson.
Plenty of OL worry has been prevalent as it’s hard to picture a high quality OL emerging when there is zero “quality play” returning minus a tiny sample from Teddy (who’s still young and coming off injury).

That’s a really tall mountain to climb with a tall deck of cards stacked on top against us.
There’s still hope that guys with some experience can emerge in the new system we want to assume will be effective under a position coach lacking a high quality, proven resume. I’m sure Whipple has learned a thing or two to contribute to their success also.
I have a small amount of optimism that we have enough clay to work with, but we can’t look past the massive hole we’re trying to crawl out of.

The big rumor talk is that Scott Frost is the defacto OL coach, or something to this effect. Continued rumors about run blocking being very good, but pass blocking being a big concern. People are wondering how Whip is going to run the offense if it's more productive running the ball etc. I want to say there is an episode of Doc Talk that supposedly has some info on this accusation (haven't listened myself)

I was hoping for more details about individual player performances, and was surprised we haven’t got much. I’d like to hear not only which position groups shined with starters, but also how the depth guys played. Was it clean and penalty free? New system can mean some rough bumps early in the year with formation/substitution/procedural penalties, etc.
Game time is fast approaching, and in some ways feels like we hardly know this team with so much ‘new.’
I’m ready to see a phoenix year rising from the ashes of what has been burnt down.

If the running game rumor is somewhat correct, that's at least a starting point for a team that needs to run the ball effectively.

NU only has a couple OL with pretty good feet, so it's going to be hard to effectively pass block when several OL can be outquicked by some of DL/Edge players. I'm figuring both Vokolek and Brewington will be called on for helping the OL and still be able to fulfill their roles as receiving TE's.

If, in fact, both QB's are playing well, NU already has 2 compared to last year's <1.

We've heard there has been a lot of competitive situations this year, (yes, we hear that every year). I say the more competition, the better. It's one thing for the #1 position player to have the job, it's another if he is actually being pushed to continue to be better.

We start to get some answers in about 10 days.

I was hoping for more details about individual player performances, and was surprised we haven’t got much. I’d like to hear not only which position groups shined with starters, but also how the depth guys played. Was it clean and penalty free? New system can mean some rough bumps early in the year with formation/substitution/procedural penalties, etc.
Game time is fast approaching, and in some ways feels like we hardly know this team with so much ‘new.’
I’m ready to see a phoenix year rising from the ashes of what has been burnt down.
yeah, there isn't much news.. Chins gave props to the Offense, saying we have a lot of playmakers, but there isn't a whole lot of individual news. I guess that punter has been coached up and is becoming more consistent. That Drew kid sounds like he's going to plug in and play some reps this year. They've been running a lot of special teams stuff from what I heard and Busch has been highly active in all that, but not much on details out there. I'm optimistic, but if the OL has trouble pass blocking, that could be a problem. There is some hand wringing over the center position. This is probably why there is such a focus on the OL from Frost.

I listened to that segment on Doc Talk and it sounds like a lot of emphasis is being put there. They are working those guys very hard, prob in an effort to make the games feel like a light practice. It's a clue anyway of where they are focusing their time.

If the running game rumor is somewhat correct, that's at least a starting point for a team that needs to run the ball effectively.

NU only has a couple OL with pretty good feet, so it's going to be hard to effectively pass block when several OL can be outquicked by some of DL/Edge players. I'm figuring both Vokolek and Brewington will be called on for helping the OL and still be able to fulfill their roles as receiving TE's.

If, in fact, both QB's are playing well, NU already has 2 compared to last year's <1.

We've heard there has been a lot of competitive situations this year, (yes, we hear that every year). I say the more competition, the better. It's one thing for the #1 position player to have the job, it's another if he is actually being pushed to continue to be better.

We start to get some answers in about 10 days.
absolutely agree, better to have some quality depth at a lot of positions, including QB.

when we were winning titles, we had good depth at even 3rd and 4th string.. the more we can get back to that, the better.

Chins said Vokolek was a matchup nightmare.. but that does not really point to how much he is helping the line pass block, I assume Chins meant that as a receiver?

Plenty of OL worry has been prevalent as it’s hard to picture a high quality OL emerging when there is zero “quality play” returning minus a tiny sample from Teddy (who’s still young and coming off injury).

That’s a really tall mountain to climb with a tall deck of cards stacked on top against us.
There’s still hope that guys with some experience can emerge in the new system we want to assume will be effective under a position coach lacking a high quality, proven resume. I’m sure Whipple has learned a thing or two to contribute to their success also.
I have a small amount of optimism that we have enough clay to work with, but we can’t look past the massive hole we’re trying to crawl out of.
I'm hopeful Chinander can put a fairly salty defense out there to start the season.

Due to the plug-in of new DLinemen, the interior strength remains to be seen.

I'm glad we return some experienced LB's to step up. 3 good athletes at nickel is excellent depth.

It's been a LONG time since NU has been able to put athletes like Nelson, Tannor, Mathis, Gunnerson, and Butler as a group, at the Edge position.

I gotta believe the NW QB will feel some heat at times. That's just an awful lot of good athletes at Edge.

Hopefully, Busch has developed the special teams to at least a stand off rather than a negative position.

If NU "is" able to run the ball effectively, play good defense, have good special teams combined with an effective running game is a good start.

The pass pro likely will be an issue, hence, that's makes consistent QB play that much more of a premium.

Rather than an overview from Frost, I'd rather hear what Mickey and Whip have to say.

You're right Hominid, typically we hear things about individual players/position groups are playing well.

Seems like it's become more of a "team" overview and less of an individual thing.

Maybe, with the assortment of the 15 transfers and all the new faces, you run the risk of pissing some kids off if you don't call their name. Just guessing here.

absolutely agree, better to have some quality depth at a lot of positions, including QB.

when we were winning titles, we had good depth at even 3rd and 4th string.. the more we can get back to that, the better.

Chins said Vokolek was a matchup nightmare.. but that does not really point to how much he is helping the line pass block, I assume Chins meant that as a receiver?
A while back I did watch some of Pitt's games against good teams. Whip did use 2 TE's quite a bit. He had one TE on the line and the other TE slotted to the other side of the formation. A few times Whip went with a 2 TE front. He mixed it up.

If Whip slots Vokolek to the right side, you can have immediate help for Benhart and still have Brewington as a block and release receiver.

They did a variety of flat out run blocking, at times they were block and release in the flat/short middle. Whip used them in different ways even when they were in the same type formation. Maybe Vokolek does a good job of disguising what his job is early in the play?

Chin's didn't elaborate about Vokolek, other than as you say, he's a matchup nightmare.

It's unfortunate, but true that Frosts' back is up against the wall.

The days of a one man show at QB, accepting hot and cold results, have to be over.

If not, NU is screwed.

yeah, there isn't much news.. Chins gave props to the Offense, saying we have a lot of playmakers, but there isn't a whole lot of individual news. I guess that punter has been coached up and is becoming more consistent. That Drew kid sounds like he's going to plug in and play some reps this year. They've been running a lot of special teams stuff from what I heard and Busch has been highly active in all that, but not much on details out there. I'm optimistic, but if the OL has trouble pass blocking, that could be a problem. There is some hand wringing over the center position. This is probably why there is such a focus on the OL from Frost.

I listened to that segment on Doc Talk and it sounds like a lot of emphasis is being put there. They are working those guys very hard, prob in an effort to make the games feel like a light practice. It's a clue anyway of where they are focusing their time.

It’s interesting when Mickey is calling out his guys for not playing to the standard, and we hear very little about OL…. any snapping issues? false starts? holding? footwork?
Raiola’s also not the type to dive deep into his unit publicly.

The coaches would not want to advertise potential issues of legit concern. So while less news could be fine, it makes one wonder about where they’re at.

At the same time, someone has mentioned before we need to give the revamped OL and revamped team at large a couple weeks to gel. Just get a couple W’s and see where we can land before Oklahoma.

Continued rumors about run blocking being very good, but pass blocking being a big concern.

So kind of like back in the day. Worked out ok back then. Of course, not so great if your OC tries to pass 60% of the time, but if we put the square peg in the square hole, might be a start.

Continued rumors about run blocking being very good, but pass blocking being a big concern.

So kind of like back in the day. Worked out ok back then. Of course, not so great if your OC tries to pass 60% of the time, but if we put the square peg in the square hole, might be a start.
I think the good part is we continue to hear about how the running backs are looking good. This could be a huge benefit. We haven't looked good running the ball in many moons.

Yeah I've been saying all along since the spring game that I think we'll be ok the first few games if we can lean into our run game and play good defense and St. Sounds like we're at least at that point heading into week zero, so it's promising. The key other than winning the first three games is figuring out all the depth chart stuff and systems and finalize geling prior to Oklahoma. Win that one... And we're off to the races

Reactions: SOHusker11

hoping CT has a faster trigger than AM. Might cut down on the need for our OL to hold their block for 11 seconds.

This could be okay. If we play to our strengths and use the run to set up the pass, that will soften up defenses. But if Frost tries to out scheme everyone because he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, I predict more of the same.

This could be okay. If we play to our strengths and use the run to set up the pass, that will soften up defenses. But if Frost tries to out scheme everyone because he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, I predict more of the same.
The more Frost puts his fingerprints on this thing, the more likely he is to fvck it up. Apparently, the guy hasn't learned that the more involvement he has, the more the losses tend to pile up.

I thought Frost already said the QB job is Thompson's to lose? Of course he said that.

So, even though the proven QB coach, Whipple, is supposed to be the Coordinator, why is it necessary to have Frost "unveil" who the starter will be. It's gonna be Thompson, or Frost looks like a dumbass once again. Shocker.

So far Frost has shown he can out-scheme Fordham, Buffalo, and a couple other powerhouses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT