ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

I’m not worried about that throw at all. Gifford made a nice play and the ball was at least on target even if he could have led him a little more. Pressure coming from his throwing side.

But I’m also not guessing Purdy is ready quite yet. I don’t have much opinion of him cus I haven’t seen enough.

Edit: I’ve always liked Haarberg’s arm and delivery, but he had the worst throw that day I think on a red zone INT if my memory serves.
a good arm beats Gifford there

Purdy's well protected and really gets behind it; ball comes out like a changeup

I will add that I am excited for Gifford to make many, many plays just like that this year and beyond. he is a player who will be on the short list of our best after this season IMO

a good arm beats Gifford there

Purdy's well protected and really gets behind it; ball comes out like a changeup

I will add that I am excited for Gifford to make many, many plays just like that this year and beyond. he is a player who will be on the short list of our best after this season IMO
I’m excited to see any new QB this year, and just hope the competition has been enough to let some scarlet&cream rise.
I hate the de facto starter stuff unless they’re a proven all-conference type.

The fact Smothers seemed to have gotten quickly smothered is not surprising, but mildly alarming, while Haarberg sits around #4.
Torres is supposedly carrying a canon, but could take years to polish.
Hopefully our two transfers genuinely have earned their spot (not just being Whipple guys) cus I can’t imagine starting our season without them if we were rolling with what’s currently #3 #4 had we whiffed on transfers.

I’m excited to see any new QB this year, and just hope the competition has been enough to let some scarlet&cream rise.
I hate the de facto starter stuff unless they’re a proven all-conference type.

The fact Smothers seemed to have gotten quickly smothered is not surprising, but mildly alarming, while Haarberg sits around #4.
Torres is supposedly carrying a canon, but could take years to polish.
Hopefully our two transfers genuinely have earned their spot (not just being Whipple guys) cus I can’t imagine starting our season without them if we were rolling with what’s currently #3 #4 had we whiffed on transfers.
agreed.

many will misconstrue my comments. there are plenty of ways to win with a quarterback who lacks elite arm strength.

I think we are going to score 50+ in Ireland.

Reactions: huntered
I have a good deal of respect for your opinions, Nikki, but would like for you to square them with this throw from Purdy in the spring game:

In my opinion, this single play shows me that purdy not only isn’t the guy today, he will never be the guy anywhere, ever

that is a throw a P5 QB makes in his sleep. Purdy doesn’t have the juice to get it there against 3rd and 4th teamers
Sorry, I could not disagree more.

The first play that came up on the vid was a great play by the defender, the ball was right on the money, so I'm not sure which play you are talking about.

I can see his arm talent just from this one clip from his Freshman season.

Likewise, if a person spends some time watching CT's clips, you won't see even close to the same level of polish. CT makes quick decisions yes, but he also throws a lot of knuckle balls and heaves.

The first play that came up on the vid was a great play by the defender, the ball was right on the money, so I'm not sure which play you are talking about.

Likewise, if a person spends some time watching CT's clips, you won't see even close to the same level of polish. CT makes quick decisions yes, but he also throws a lot of knuckle balls and heaves.
1. Gifford made up about 4 yards of separation while the ball was in the air on that seam route. Good play, sure, but a big arm has him beat for a TD.

2. I counted 3 whole passes that went 10+ yards beyond the LOS in that highlight film (2 were floaters), which looked ironically similar to AM's highlight reel.

1. Gifford made up about 4 yards of separation while the ball was in the air on that seam route. Good play, sure, but a big arm has him beat for a TD.

2. I counted 3 whole passes that went 10+ yards beyond the LOS in that highlight film (2 were floaters), which looked ironically similar to AM's highlight reel.
Yeah that clip doesn't contain a lot of deep throws, but the ball comes out effortlessly, and fast, on point. It's like he doesn't even have to try, and that's what is so notable about it.

I guess we will see what happens.

I feel like CT is a less talented version of AM. However, I hope he can be a better leader and not be afraid to throw to guys that might be covered. AM played scared and had no clutch ability. Unfortunately AM was so much better than Smothers that we had to play him.

Yeah that clip doesn't contain a lot of deep throws, but the ball comes out effortlessly, and fast, on point. It's like he doesn't even have to try, and that's what is so notable about it.

I guess we will see what happens.
Purdy could run the frost/AM offense

but those throws didn't look effortless - he really loads up, looks like he's giving it all he's got - and they definitely didn't look fast

Reactions: JabroniBlvd

but those throws didn't look effortless - he really loads up, looks like he's giving it all he's got - and they definitely didn't look fast
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this, because you aren't seeing what I am, and I'm not seeing what you are.

Reactions: king_kong_

In the clip that kong posted, IF the ball is there a half count earlier all Gifford can do is make a tackle after the catch.

In the 3:35 clip, Chubba threw 14 passes. The distance of the throws from release to catch were:

Of the 14 passes, 8 were good throws on the money, in stride, etc. Nicely thrown footballs.

He threw 4 good passes to the right.

He threw one good ball down the middle seam, and on the 45 yarder the receiver waited for the ball.

He threw 7 times to the left, 6 were high.

That high percentage of high throws to his left can be/or may have been corrected with time under a watchful eye.

The average distance from release to catch in that 3:35 clip was 14.5 yards. @ 30% of the throws were 4 yards or less.

In my earllier post about both QB's, the very LAST sentence I wrote:
"It will be interesting to see which QB the overall offense operates best with."

I wonder if Scott frost starts each practice by giving CT a little slap on the back and tells him - you’re the starter - now go out there and make sure you don’t lose it

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and WHCSC

I’ve always respected both your guys’ opinions and love the debate. I’ve gotta side with kong on this one. Purdy sort of looks like he’s winding up a lot on those throws vs. Thompson has slightly more of a quick flicking motion. CT is our clear cut starter.

I watched that video of Thompson’s entire 2021 season. He won’t be a massive upgrade over AM but what looks like a better ability to keep possession of the football will help our team out immensely by getting the most out of what should be a decent defense.

Purdy will likely be the starter in the future and he doesn’t look terrible, especially for how young he still is. He will get chances this season. He may very well be a better leader, Nikki you seem very confident about that which has me curious. But CT’s experience and talent will win out this season.

I’ve always respected both your guys’ opinions and love the debate. I’ve gotta side with kong on this one. Purdy sort of looks like he’s winding up a lot on those throws vs. Thompson has slightly more of a quick flicking motion. CT is our clear cut starter.

I watched that video of Thompson’s entire 2021 season. He won’t be a massive upgrade over AM but what looks like a better ability to keep possession of the football will help our team out immensely by getting the most out of what should be a decent defense.

Purdy will likely be the starter in the future and he doesn’t look terrible, especially for how young he still is. He will get chances this season. He may very well be a better leader, Nikki you seem very confident about that which has me curious. But CT’s experience and talent will win out this season.
Someday, those are all good points. None of us know how the season will go, but should NU have a good season, regain a little program mojo, and have both Thompson and Purdy play well, the one it stands to benefit the most is Purdy.

With the new OLine blocking techniques, the fact that overall, the OL has a bunch of young kids getting another year of experience, things "could" begin to be a real factor next year. Maybe NU throws in a couple of high caliber recruits or portal guys in the mix to replace Hixson, Williams, and Anthony. Plus, Nouili returns. The potential is there for a real solid unit.

Purdy would benefit from another year's experience at the P5 level, he could have a fairly experienced OLine in front of him who spent over a year learning new ways to try to move people out.

The key this year is not if Thompson or Purdy is the answer, the key is finding a QB to manage the offense, take care of the ball, and develop some needed leadership skills.

I’m a huge fan of Purdy. I know some will roll their eyes at this, but I see a lot of Kenny Pickett in him. The highlight where he dives for the sticks on the sideline was very KP like. That being said. It does sound like he makes a lot of great plays and a lot of bad plays in practice.

On the flip side, I don’t get your Thompson hate, at all. He seems accurate, composed. competitive. Even if he doesn’t have the size and physical upside of Purdy, he seems like a natural leader and a solid QB.

I’m a huge fan of Purdy. I know some will roll their eyes at this, but I see a lot of Kenny Pickett in him. The highlight where he dives for the sticks on the sideline was very KP like. That being said. It does sound like he makes a lot of great plays and a lot of bad plays in practice.

On the flip side, I don’t get your Thompson hate, at all. He seems accurate, composed. competitive. Even if he doesn’t have the size and physical upside of Purdy, he seems like a natural leader and a solid QB.
Thompson is a fifth year player who has started for a storied P5 program. Purdy may be a more prototypical QB, but he’s a third year guy who hasn’t played a lot.

Thompson is a fifth year player who has started for a storied P5 program. Purdy may be a more prototypical QB, but he’s a third year guy who hasn’t played a lot.
nothing about purdy is 'prototypical'

long windup, slow release, most comfortable outside the pocket

purdy does seem to fit what frost seems to like in a qb (this is why @NikkiSixx's opinion confuses me)

CT does not, which is why I'm pretty excited to see him sling it around. there is no chance in hell CT comes to NU to run it up the middle 15x per game under frost and the former credit union employee.

We need a cocky QB who can manage the offense and play within the scheme….. C.T.
We have been craving a QB who can throw a simple OUT Pass to the tightends… C.T.
We have been craving a QB who can make the reads on a defense and adjust to the open receiver, or audible and hand off to the RB… C.T.

So is NU running a 4-3 or a 4-2-5? Wouldn't Kolarevic be more of a true WILL and the other two nickel backers?
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I believe within the past few weeks they switched Kolarevic from middle backer to nickel, (Domann’s old spot). My money is on Kolarevic to play more than the other two.

I like this move as a run stuffing defense. No one was beating out Reimer and Heinrich in the middle. I read today in some publication that has Nebraska as the 8th rated line backing group in the nation (2nd in the B1G to Iowa). I love it!

Last edited:
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I believe within the past few weeks they switched Kolarevic from middle backer to nickel, (Domann’s old spot). My money is on Kolarevic to play more than the other two.

I like this move as a run stuffing defense. No one was beating out Reimer and Heinrich in the middle. I read today in some publication that has Nebraska as the 8th rated line backing group in the nation (2nd in the B1G to Iowa). I love it!
He switched back in the spring to nickel. He also trimmed some weight I think.
His athletic test scores were surprising- pretty freak athlete.
Chinander said the three nickels are in a tight race, but I agree Kolarevic will be better against the run most likely while the others might have the edge in coverage, something Kolarevic said he was working on.

I thought Javin Wright would never make a comeback, so I’m excited for him to be back in the mix. He’s got a good frame for that kind of role.

Because Nikki and I are typically aligned on most opinions, I slow framed that throw in the Spring game to make sure I wasn't shortchanging Chubba's throw. After watching the play a couple times, my viewpoint is correct.

For those that want to, slow the play down at 46:57 to .25 playback speed. You can see the throwing lane is clearly open.
Within 3 seconds of the snap (47:00) both Manning and Yant are wide open. The ball that Purdy threw went 18 yards in the air.

On the view of the replay, it is clear the receiver has Gifford beat by 2+ lengths. With the ball in the air the receiver is still open by 1+ yards. In the time the ball was in the air, Gifford closed on the ball to arrive in time to make a helluva play on a ball he was beaten on.

As I mentioned in the Chubba/Florida State film, he tends to throw high when throwing left. The throw we have been talking about was thrown from the right hash to closer to the left hash. It's a nitpicky point, but Chubba needs to master throwing to his left without the same elevation.

That same ball thrown with more arm strength/more velocity and not as high is an easy touchdown in P5 level. The more Chubba develops arm strength, the more he will able to throw on a line on this type of play.

I'm hopeful, as time goes along, Chubba will continue to develop arm strength, and I think he will. He still tends to throw the ball a little too high on a lot of his throws. If they change his release point, just a touch, that ball gets there earlier and we're not having this discussion/disagreement.

I'm not a pro-Thompson, or anti-Chubba or any NU QB guy. With NU's schedule of several heavy hitters, it's not conceivable one guy will be able to go all year and not have game issues.

I'm not an analyist like Nikki, but I know one thing. In football, just like in basketball, if you have a guy who is less effective or shows a weakness throwing left, you can expect to see defenses force those throws to the left and take away some of his strength.

Because Nikki and I are typically aligned on most opinions, I slow framed that throw in the Spring game to make sure I wasn't shortchanging Chubba's throw. After watching the play a couple times, my viewpoint is correct.

For those that want to, slow the play down at 46:57 to .25 playback speed. You can see the throwing lane is clearly open.
Within 3 seconds of the snap (47:00) both Manning and Yant are wide open. The ball that Purdy threw went 18 yards in the air.

On the view of the replay, it is clear the receiver has Gifford beat by 2+ lengths. With the ball in the air the receiver is still open by 1+ yards. In the time the ball was in the air, Gifford closed on the ball to arrive in time to make a helluva play on a ball he was beaten on.

As I mentioned in the Chubba/Florida State film, he tends to throw high when throwing left. The throw we have been talking about was thrown from the right hash to closer to the left hash. It's a nitpicky point, but Chubba needs to master throwing to his left without the same elevation.

That same ball thrown with more arm strength/more velocity and not as high is an easy touchdown in P5 level. The more Chubba develops arm strength, the more he will able to throw on a line on this type of play.

I'm hopeful, as time goes along, Chubba will continue to develop arm strength, and I think he will. He still tends to throw the ball a little too high on a lot of his throws. If they change his release point, just a touch, that ball gets there earlier and we're not having this discussion/disagreement.

I'm not a pro-Thompson, or anti-Chubba or any NU QB guy. With NU's schedule of several heavy hitters, it's not conceivable one guy will be able to go all year and not have game issues.

I'm not an analyist like Nikki, but I know one thing. In football, just like in basketball, if you have a guy who is less effective or shows a weakness throwing left, you can expect to see defenses force those throws to the left and take away some of his strength.
The good news is there is maybe 1 or 2 elite arms in the entire B1G, so I expect Gifford to make many and more plays just like that one

The good news is there is maybe 1 or 2 elite arms in the entire B1G, so I expect Gifford to make many and more plays just like that one
Although he is not the best QB overall, the best arm they will face is OU's Gabriel.

No doubt, barring injury, Gifford has a nice NU career ahead of him.

NU has a ton of really nice young players, I hope they avoid injury, and develop to reach their potential.

Analyst? Of what exactly

Analyst? Of what exactly
You'd have to ask Nikki. He indicated he was interested in launching an analyst subscription service. Nikki would be the one to elaborate on that.

I just do analysis of Olympic sprinters I've worked with for 11 years ending in 1994, and 2 recently retired MLB pitchers who played combined 23 years in the league and one outfielder who recently retired after spending about 15-16 years in the league.

I also worked with Moses Malone daily as far back as 1970 when he was 14-15 years old.
BTW, he kicked my ass daily one on one. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I've worked with and watched some good ones in my day.

How do you know if the receiver took an angle that was to shallow. What if he took a stronger angle he would have had inside position on the db.

How do you know if the receiver took an angle that was to shallow. What if he took a stronger angle he would have had inside position on the db.
If purdy had any juice in his arm after loading up and giving it all he’s got it’s a walk in TD

if purdy ever starts for us, it’ll be back to the AM offense - 3rd and 8? QB draw

ADVERTISEMENT