ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

I guess I'm not really sure. Maybe it's normal. That's why I asked. Guess I'd like to see an Ohio St or Alabama practice. Anyone else have any input?
I witnessed one NU practice under Pelini

there wasn't a whole lot of jogging/standing around going on at all

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I guess I'm not really sure. Maybe it's normal. That's why I asked. Guess I'd like to see an Ohio St or Alabama practice. Anyone else have any input?
150 players, 10 coaches, however many grad assistants/student assistants. It will depend on the drill & what is being taught/evaluated. IF a coach is installing a play, he can't focus on all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd team at the same time. They will install it, evaluate it, & have each group run it. Once it's installed, it's then easier to have multiple groups run it at the same time. Just my personal experience. Plus, were you looking at selected video clips where you can't see what the others are doing or looking at still photos where it's impossible to capture what is going on in totality? I'm not saying they couldn't be doing more/better, but that we likely have very limited context to make any judgments.

I witnessed one NU practice under Pelini

there wasn't a whole lot of jogging/standing around going on at all

I thought that was always one of the big criticisms of Pelini’s practices. A ton of guys standing around doing nothing, while the 1’s had long, detailed install periods.

I thought that was always one of the big criticisms of Pelini’s practices. A ton of guys standing around doing nothing, while the 1’s had long, detailed install periods.
maybe. I only saw the one, and it was 2010, I think, so we had a good team.

it was insanely chaotic. I remember thinking I don't know how they get anything evaluated with so much going on.

We need more intense Husker passion guys.
I’m fine with some quiet leaders, and every team will have their balance of characters.
Nothing says "good player but not a leader" more than getting labeled as a quiet "lead by example" guy. If you are a leader, you do both! Lead by example AND say what needs to be said.

Reactions: HominidHusker
If you all get a chance to watch the interview with Mickey Joseph, man, that guy impresses the hell out of me. I really liked that interview from him and not only how he talks, but also the way he coaches.

Edit: I found a link for part of it here

Last edited:
So how should it look, in your opinion?
Full disclosure - have never watched a D1 practice. I just remember hearing one of TO’s many strengths was how he utilized his practices and was able to get amazing amounts of reps in vs other programs. Is Scottie emulating that in his practices? I’m guessing the same as he has adopted other TO methods.

Reactions: headcard
If you all get a chance to watch the interview with Mickey Joseph, man, that guy impresses the hell out of me. I really liked that interview from him and not only how he talks, but also the way he coaches.

Mickey seems to have that ability to connect to people. He coaches kids hard, but it draws them to him, not pushes them away.

Full disclosure - have never watched a D1 practice. I just remember hearing one of TO’s many strengths was how he utilized his practices and was able to get amazing amounts of reps in vs other programs. Is Scottie emulating that in his practices? I’m guessing the same as he has adopted other TO methods.
TO had a Freshman program for years and also had fewer limits on coaches & grad/student assistants. There may be things that SF can do differently but he is in a different era under different rules.

Still trying to master a winning season.

Mickey doesn't seem to have a whole lot of gray areas.

Seems to have an awful lot of respect for Whipple. I loved hearing Omar is having a good camp. I don't know well or how quick Isiah will acclimate, but, man, that kid really has good wheels.

Overall, Mickey comes off as believing what he's saying. Doesn't seem like we're gonna get a lot of fluff from him.

Not related to this Mickey interview, but watched the 6 minute video earlier, "at first glance" it might have just been the drill, but I see our offensive linemen really hustling, and starting to move their feet and cover ground.

yep

I also noticed what @scarletred did in that clip and kind of rolled my eyes. like, that is what the start of practice looks like?

but, I don't have any context so I'll withhold judgement
I've been to a handful of practices. They actually run through about 10 minutes of drills before they do calisthenics and actually warm up. On media days they do 10 minutes of meaningless warm-ups. Do not read to much into the media clips.

I've been to a handful of practices. They actually run through about 10 minutes of drills before they do calisthenics and actually warm up. On media days they do 10 minutes of meaningless warm-ups. Do not read to much into the media clips.
Good post, good to hear, makes perfect sense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT