ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

What's the story on Decoldest Crawford? Heard on the radio MJ said Frost had to answer about his absence at practice

Losing hope when I hear Gabe (Mr 2.8 YPC) is the leader in @ RB. He didn’t even look good against Fordham. I feel like the staff likes him because he’s the most consistent across the board. However he isn’t excellent in anything but not bad at anything either.

I mean no ill will toward the young man. He seems like a great dude but he has yet to prove anything to show he’s very good. When you’ve played in 4 games and averaged below 3 YPC in 3 out of 4 games and the one you averaged more than 3 was Buffalo. When RJ took over from Gabe, he averaged 3.8 YPC or better and against better competition.

But I’m sure Gabe looks good in simulation and drills. He’s the RB version of Oliver Martin. And again, nothing personal. Bet these are outstanding people.

I feel like our staff would sit Davante Adam’s because he’s an awful run blocker.

Losing hope when I hear Gabe (Mr 2.8 YPC) is the leader in @ RB. He didn’t even look good against Fordham. I feel like the staff likes him because he’s the most consistent across the board. However he isn’t excellent in anything but not bad at anything either.

I mean no ill will toward the young man. He seems like a great dude but he has yet to prove anything to show he’s very good. When you’ve played in 4 games and averaged below 3 YPC in 3 out of 4 games and the one you averaged more than 3 was Buffalo. When RJ took over from Gabe, he averaged 3.8 YPC or better and against better competition.

But I’m sure Gabe looks good in simulation and drills. He’s the RB version of Oliver Martin. And again, nothing personal. Bet these are outstanding people.

I feel like our staff would sit Davante Adam’s because he’s an awful run blocker.
I guess we will see what transpires. Maybe with the slight change in offensive philosophy he can get down hill and not dance around so much. He looked like shit in the first couple of games last year, but thought he was looking better again OU until his knee blew. It sucks because on that play it looked like he had a good seem for a big big gainer.

What did Rahmir avg as a true frosh? 3.0
What did Rahmir avg in his second year? 3.8

Rahmir also benefitted last year from the reworked OL. Gabe was already hurt by then.

Obviously the coaches are idiots. Never play the best guy.

Did you guys see the pic of Devin Drew at practice today? Man, he just does not look in shape. I hope I'm wrong and he has that unique type of "old man" strength going for him.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Grant is the #1. Ervin is 2a and Yant 2b. Rahmir will def still get touches but will also be seen in the flex/slot position as well.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I never judge DTs by how they look. Some guys who look ridiculously out of shape have been great players stuffing the middle.

Did you guys see the pic of Devin Drew at practice today? Man, he just does not look in shape. I hope I'm wrong and he has that unique type of "old man" strength going for him.
For Christ's sakes here we go again! j/k

They seem to be fairly happy with Robinson, Nash, Wynn and Feist. Hopefully, Drew will be a good backup/potential starter and lend depth to what is a position needing more depth. Maybe Weaver can come in an play 15-20 snaps a game to keep the group somewhat rested.

I think the depth issue really came into play last year. Ruud talks about giving Nick and Luke more rest, and as usual, Fisher will find a way to play lots of guys in the secondary.

I personally like when NU plays a lot of kids and we all know there is a difference between the #1 and #2 guys, but it does look like 3 guys, Wynn/Nash/potentially Drew are fighing for that top spot on the D-line, with Feist slated to play a nice role.

images

Reactions: SOHusker11
I never judge DTs by how they look. Some guys who look ridiculously out of shape have been great players stuffing the middle.
That’s the “Warren Sapp type.” Looks like he couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to rest, but can stuff the run like a mother. I was just surprised by how skinny Drew’s arms look.

That’s the “Warren Sapp type.” Looks like he couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to rest, but can stuff the run like a mother. I was just surprised by how skinny Drew’s arms look.

Worst looking effective player I remember was Tony Siragusa. He'd be the last pick in a full court pickup basketball game.

3.4 YPC**
Did you read my post or just the first part? He had one game over 2.8 YPC. 1 of 4. Thank god he played against Buffalo to get to 3.4 average, huh?

And I don’t mean to bust on the kid. Maybe he’s turned it around but dam, he didn’t look good at all last year. RJ and Yants did.

Last edited:
I guess we will see what transpires. Maybe with the slight change in offensive philosophy he can get down hill and not dance around so much. He looked like shit in the first couple of games last year, but thought he was looking better again OU until his knee blew. It sucks because on that play it looked like he had a good seem for a big big gainer.
I appreciate this post. The thing that I worry about is you have two backs that literally torched NW last year and you potentially have them 3 and 4 on the depth chart going into NW? Really

We hear talk about “Gabe was on the verge” that’s speculative not a fact. The play he got injured on was because he missed the initial read. Had he read it right the first time, his doesn’t get hurt. He doesn’t have the athleticism or speed as RJ or size as Yant. Why screw up a winning hand? Scott has a massive history of over thinking crap and has lost all faith and credit IMO. This is typical Frost.

But again, I hope I’m wrong. I hope Ervin has found something other than just “knowing the whole playbook”.

The only other thing I’m thinking is those looks the media saw today were to fool NW. We saw Bill Busch say “hope you get some real good video”. found that quote rather interesting

Did you read my post or just the first part? He had one game over 2.8 YPC. 1 of 4. Thank god he played against Buffalo to get to 3.4 average, huh?

And I don’t mean to bust on the kid. Maybe he’s turned it around but dam, he didn’t look good at all last year. RJ and Yants did.
Dude was a true freshman and played 4 games lol. 40% of his carries were in the red zone and we know how good our conversion rate was inside the 20s. And he normally got it inside the 10. Averaged over 4 outside of the 20. Way to smal of sample size for you to say we’re doomed because of him leading the pack

Reactions: timnsun and OzzyLvr
Dude was a true freshman and played 4 games lol. 40% of his carries were in the red zone and we know how good our conversion rate was inside the 20s. And he normally got it inside the 10. Averaged over 4 outside of the 20. Way to smal of sample size for you to say we’re doomed because of him leading the pack
40% of his carries where in the redzone and he had 2 total TDs. Making a strong case.

Last edited:
40% of his carries where in the redzone and he had 2 total TDs. Making a strong case.
We were ranked 106th in red zone scoring. Not sure the 4 games the true freshman played was the root cause lol. All I’m saying is he played 4 games. Showed some promise. Got hurt. And can’t really make an assumption.

Reactions: WHCSC
We were ranked 106th in red zone scoring. Not sure the 4 games the true freshman played was the root cause lol. All I’m saying is he played 4 games. Showed some promise. Got hurt. And can’t really make an assumption.
Can’t make an assumption either way. That’s why it’s risky as hell to start him especially against NW when you have 2 backs that have had success against NW.

And if you all think we can feed 4 backs each game, that’s crazy. 3 backs is extremely difficult. backs require rhythm

and he might be good. But it is really about time Scott have a staff that plays the safe cards vs the gutsy ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT