ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Morrow Jr Transferring

No, no, no - "Jake" is gonna log 30-35 minutes at the 4 because of his uncanny ability to handle the ball and knock down jumpers at a 30% clip. I mean, as long as we're dreaming up explanations for why Morrow was totally going to lose playing time and that's why he's transferring, might as well toss that one out there.
At least Jake is SOME sort of threat with a jump shot. It isn't great but at least they have to guard him.

I'm just a casual basketball fan, enjoy watching the Huskers but it's not like I know jack about the intricate details of the game. That said, I felt a bigger part of the 1-6 stretch was Watson disappearing all of a sudden. Probably Miles' fault too. My wife, who know less than I do about basketball, commented several times this year watching Husker games, "Who the hell is this guy that loses the ball every time he dribbles?" Morrow... His rebounding will be missed but he's also one of the many reasons we sucked on offense this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
At least Jake is SOME sort of threat with a jump shot. It isn't great but at least they have to guard him.
No, he isn't. As much as you've convinced yourself otherwise, Jacobson is only a threat to take jump shots, not actually make them. Did you block out the games in which the opponent begged him to shoot the ball?

Lots of guys...sometimes. It's a problem. I've posted it multiple times. We have the best talent we've had in years, but yet we don't have some of the young talent that other B1G teams with more tradition have. Almost all of our guys have holes in their games other than Roby. Of course I watched KU throwing up bricks the other night too so even they have off nights and a helluva lot more on the bench than we do.

Roby has no holes in his game, yet he could barely get on the court. Hmmmm.

No, he isn't. As much as you've convinced yourself otherwise, Jacobson is only a threat to take jump shots, not actually make them. Did you block out the games in which the opponent begged him to shoot the ball?
Yeah they did that when Jordy was in the game. I didn't say he was a great outside shooter although he did shoot it better his freshman year. I saw Jacobson knock down a 3 to send a game to OT and they were guarding him then. Was Ed gonna do that? 30% from outside is better than Ed's 0% from outside.

Roby has no holes in his game, yet he could barely get on the court. Hmmmm.
Roby played better as the year wore on and earned more minutes. Physically I know they were very concerned about his health to start the year. The kid has tremendous upside. He would be able to play for just about anybody going forward IMO. Watson when healthy is a very good player albeit inconsistent offensively. Jordy is extremely green and got better every game it seemed. Jacobsen is a very good role player, energy, rebounder and at least some offensive threat. McVeigh obviously lacks some athleticism on D etc etc. Roby is the one guy IMO that now that he's used to the B1G, could play for anybody.

Yeah they did that when Jordy was in the game. I didn't say he was a great outside shooter although he did shoot it better his freshman year. I saw Jacobson knock down a 3 to send a game to OT and they were guarding him then. Was Ed gonna do that? 30% from outside is better than Ed's 0% from outside.
So let me get this straight: Because Jacobson, who is a career 18% shooter from three-point range, threw in a desperation three at the end of the Wisconsin game - this means he's threat to score from the outside?

Wow, I've finally seen the error of my ways. Jacobson really is a legitimate Big Ten 4 - hell, a Stretch 4 even. No wonder Timmy totally told Morrow his minutes were gonna be reduced and that's why he transferred and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
So let me get this straight: Because Jacobson, who is a career 18% shooter from three-point range, threw in a desperation three at the end of the Wisconsin game - this means he's threat to score from the outside?

Wow, I've finally seen the error of my ways. Jacobson really is a legitimate Big Ten 4 - hell, a Stretch 4 even. No wonder Timmy totally told Morrow his minutes were gonna be reduced and that's why he transferred and that's my story I'm stickin' to it.

And the guy who played the 4 in HS who shot above 30% from 3 already left the program.

Another crap season just ended. SE reconfirmed that Miles is staying. We are losing 3 transfers (including our best player)

At this point Miles should be a stand-up guy and just resign. People often said Pelini was stealing money from the University. Pelini was far superior to Miles as a coach.

When Morrow was at his peak this season, the team was at its peak. I wonder if his foot problem and how Miles handled it had anything to do with it. Morrow had lots of PT next season, plus he was a legacy and considers Nebraska his home, so something seriously upsetting must have happened.

Looks like this leaves an opening for Roby or Copeland to move in, although neither seem beefy enough to play PF much. PG Watson, SG Taylor/Palmer, SF McVeigh/Roby, PF Jacobson/Copeland, C Jordy?

If Taylor is our SG, we won't win 10 games. Love the kid's effort/attitude, unfortunately he has very limited shooting/finishing skills.......

At this point Miles should be a stand-up guy and just resign. People often said Pelini was stealing money from the University. Pelini was far superior to Miles as a coach.
As much as I would like to agree with you, nobody in his right mind walks away from a $2 million salary when his next coaching stop is Black Hills State or Northern Colorado.

As much as I would like to agree with you, nobody in his right mind walks away from a $2 million salary when their next coaching stop is Black Hills State or Northern Colorado.

Can we negotiate with South Dakota for a coach swap?

That doesn't mean that there weren't other issues and he(and his family) shouldn't bear some blame too.
True, but when AW3 left it seemed like people put most of that blame on AW3 and family. Now I'm thinking most of the blame should have went to Miles. JMO.

SE is going to have man up and fire Miles. Bet SE uses the excuse that it is too late in the process, it will hurt recruiting, blah blah and keeps Miles anyway. This just pushes back the inevitable to a later date. Nebraska basketball is doomed.
Are you saying SE doesn't have the cojones to fire Miles? If SE had the backbone to fire Pelini, firing Miles will be a breeze.

Wow, I've finally seen the error of my ways. Jacobson really is a legitimate Big Ten 4 - hell, a Stretch 4 even. No wonder Timmy totally told Morrow his minutes were gonna be reduced and that's why he transferred and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
It's simple. Just shoot better. Duh!

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
"This is a sacrifice I have to make to better myself.”

Translation:

I have to leave if I want any chance of becoming a better basketball player.

Reactions: Red Steve
sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory.gif

Another crap season just ended. SE reconfirmed that Miles is staying. We are losing 3 transfers (including our best player)

"Our best player"? Really? Now I know you don't know a damned thing about basketball.

If Taylor is our SG, we won't win 10 games. Love the kid's effort/attitude, unfortunately he has very limited shooting/finishing skills.......
Taylor was never meant to play as many minutes as he had to this year with Gill going down. Hopefully Gill comes back healthy and shows more of what he showed the last game or two before he got hurt.

"This is a sacrifice I have to make to better myself.”

Translation:

I have to leave if I want any chance of becoming a better basketball player.
Ed has missed a good part of the last 2 seasons with his foot injury. It's a chronic deal and it is not going to heal as long as he's playing basketball. His minutes diminished as Jordy's increased. Jordy is going to be a much better B1G 5 than Ed could ever be.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1040

Put this in another thread but if this guy returns full health and is cleared, we will have him next year.
I think physically he's a go now. The only issue is whether he can play to start the season or if he has to wait until 2nd semester. We really could use a true 5 to replace Ed but that is going to be tough to find. Jordy is going to have to play a bunch of minutes and stay out of foul trouble.

Morrow can't throw it in the ocean from outside of 5 feet. Morrow can only play the 5 and has nothing to do with Jacobsen other than that Jacobsen is going to have to play more minutes at the 5 with Ed bailing out on his teammates. Jacobsen shot it pretty damned well from outside of 10 feet as a freshman and he can at least make an occasional 3. Ideally hes not the guy you want shooting 3s but if they don't guard him, hell yeah I want him to shoot it.

Last edited:
Ed has missed a good part of the last 2 seasons with his foot injury. It's a chronic deal and it is not going to heal as long as he's playing basketball. His minutes diminished as Jordy's increased. Jordy is going to be a much better B1G 5 than Ed could ever be.

Gee I'd hope a 6 11 guy would end up being a better 5 than a 6 6 guy. Especially in an offense as crappy and unimaginative as the one we've seen in Lincoln for 5 years.

It's kind of unfair to say what Morrow can and cant do when he was forced to play out of position due to lack of size for 2 years.

I guess we will find out what he can do when he gets to a place with a coach who can keep a roster closer to full at all 5 positions AND coaches an offense that can score. AND can coach a defense that doesn't get torched almost every game against quality competition.

Gee I'd hope a 6 11 guy would end up being a better 5 than a 6 6 guy. Especially in an offense as crappy and unimaginative as the one we've seen in Lincoln for 5 years.

It's kind of unfair to say what Morrow can and cant do when he was forced to play out of position due to lack of size for 2 years.
SO WHERE THE F### would you play a guy that can't shoot or dribble the damned ball other than the 5? They don't have to guard him if he's outside of 5 feet. He's not quick enough to defend anybody other than a 5 outside of the paint and yet he's not big enough to defend many of the B1G 5s. I'm guessing we recruited him because we were absolutely desperate for bigs and we hoped he would either grow or develop a better jump shot. Neither happened and now he's leaving because Jordy is taking his minutes..

SO WHERE THE F### would you play a guy that can't shoot or dribble the damned ball other than the 5? They don't have to guard him if he's outside of 5 feet. He's not quick enough to defend anybody other than a 5 outside of the paint and yet he's not big enough to defend many of the B1G 5s. I'm guessing we recruited him because we were absolutely desperate for bigs and we hoped he would either grow or develop a better jump shot. Neither happened and now he's leaving because Jordy is taking his minutes..

AND WHO'S FAULT IS IT THAT HE DIDN'T DEVELOP?????

WHO'S FAULT IS IT THAT HE WAS NOT IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE HE COULD DEVELOP?????

You keep blaming the player. I blame the guy with the whistle that has put a terrible product on the floor for 4.5 out of 5 seasons that is damn near unwatchable by the end of every conference season.

There is only ONE guy who has played for Miles who showed a lot of improvement over his career. Webster. And I'd argue that had Webster likely got better more due to his international experience, and not because of playing/learning from Miles.

AND WHO'S FAULT IS IT THAT HE DIDN'T DEVELOP?????

WHO'S FAULT IS IT THAT HE WAS NOT IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE HE COULD DEVELOP?????

You keep blaming the player. I blame the guy with the whistle that has put a terrible product on the floor for 4.5 out of 5 seasons that is damn near unwatchable by the end of every conference season.

There is only ONE guy who has played for Miles who showed a lot of improvement over his career. Webster. And I'd argue that had Webster likely got better more due to his international experience, and not because of playing/learning from Miles.
I don't care who the coach is. Ed needed to grow a couple of inches and another 30 lbs if he couldn't develop an outside shot. I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming Miles. Some guys can work their ass of to become better shooters. Others just never seem to be able to do it. We were desperate for bigs and we got what we could get. We've got a better guy to play than Ed but I wished he had stayed because it hurts our bench. You don't think Jordy improved this year? You don't think Petteway improved from when he came to NU? Good heavens. Hell even Evan Taylor is playing better than he did in JUCO.

I don't care who the coach is. Ed needed to grow a couple of inches and another 30 lbs if he couldn't develop an outside shot. I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming Miles. Some guys can work their ass of to become better shooters. Others just never seem to be able to do it. We were desperate for bigs and we got what we could get. We've got a better guy to play than Ed but I wished he had stayed because it hurts our bench. You don't think Jordy improved this year? You don't think Petteway improved from when he came to NU? Good heavens. Hell even Evan Taylor is playing better than he did in JUCO.

Petteway got no better than he was his first year here. Pitchford got worse. White saw the light and got the hell out of here. Horne and now Morrow are doing the same.

What are you going to say if Watson decides the grass is greener somewhere else? I said it before and I'll say it again, I bet he regrets coming to play for Miles. He could be such a better player somewhere else in a better system with better coaching.

Petteway got no better than he was his first year here. Pitchford got worse. White saw the light and got the hell out of here. Horne and now Morrow are doing the same.

What are you going to say if Watson decides the grass is greener somewhere else? I said it before and I'll say it again, I bet he regrets coming to play for Miles. He could be such a better player somewhere else in a better system with better coaching.
Petteway sat his first year at NU. He was averaging I think under 2 points a game at TTech(?) when he left there. I would say he got better. He was still just a volume shooter and good defender but he was all we had. I'll worry about negative hypotheticals IF they happen. I doubt that a guy that has been told that we need him to play a ton of minutes and step up his scoring is going anywhere.

Your argument ITT is silly. Ed has been forced to play the majority of his minutes at the 5 because Miles et al. failed to secure commitments from legit 5 options time and time again. You claim he can't shoot/dribble outside of five feet; however, he has never been given a legitimate chance to develop as a 4 because of recruiting failures.

Bottomline: this is another extremely telling sign that Miles needs to go. It should have been this year. It seems to me that we either had no plan or absolutely nobody wants this job for the money we can offer.

Reactions: newAD
Your argument ITT is silly. Ed has been forced to play the majority of his minutes at the 5 because Miles et al. failed to secure commitments from legit 5 options time and time again. You claim he can't shoot/dribble outside of five feet; however, he has never been given a legitimate chance to develop as a 4 because of recruiting failures.

Bottomline: this is another extremely telling sign that Miles needs to go. It should have been this year. It seems to me that we either had no plan or absolutely nobody wants this job for the money we can offer.
We have plenty of money.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
We have plenty of money.

I know we 'have' plenty of money. The question is what are we going to be willing to spend on a coach. Should we pay a hoops HC more than the HC of the football program? What kind of expectations would people have if we made that move?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT