ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still think Frost is the man to lead us to prominence?

who do we compare frost to after those 6 seasons? interesting you stopped at 6

If Frost has 3 top 10 finishes in 6 years he will have a very very long leash. Just like Ferentz.

He will still be our coach if he merely matches Ferentz after that

Pretty sure of a couple things...if Frost keeps his Defensive Coordinator and Special Teams coach, he will be looking for a new job in a few years.

He makes some bone-headed choices as a head coach sometimes, but his DC has been a substantial liability and has cost us multiple wins in each of the last 2 seasons.

Why do so many think "only Frost can fix us, nobody else can"? i think if u put ferentz, whittingham (utah), dan mullen, kirby smart, any number of coaches here we could win 8+ games a year. Why is Frost the magic man for our program and nobody else? I get that he played here and knows N, but I think we could hire the utah coach and we'd be solid within a 3-4 years.

Not only is Frost not the only coach that can resurrect the Husker program, it is hard to say Frost has done any better than Riley! Yes that is the truth and it is scary. This program has not improved overall one iota at this point. Does that mean get rid of Frost? Nope not at all. But as I have stated there are changes that need to be made and Scott himself has to change in the way he does and handles some things. There are a couple of assistants that are universally disliked by the roster and those coaches are liabilities! He has to learn not to point fingers at his players and making excuses. There are other programs that were in as bad or worse shape as Nebraska and new coaches came in and did a much better job of turning things around in two years..YES TWO YEARS! Fleck being one of them. He just happened to make things better by firing one of his right hand guys! Imagine that!

I still believe coach Frost is our best chance to get the program back to being relevant and respectable. I feel like we are getting bigger and stronger as evidenced by playing Wisconsin and Iowa more competitively and physically. Our team played tough and with desire. Feel like he is rebuilding the OL and DL which is imperative in the Big Ten. It was unpopular that Jurgens started the season at center but now it seems to be a good move. I believe that coach Frost and Verduzco will be able to fix Martinez in offseason or replace him in the first few games next year. Unlike other coaches and seasons we actually have quality QB backups/alternatives. I feel like he is recruiting well with an emphasis of OL/DL. I will be more confident in coach Frost if we overhaul Special teams, recruit and develop WRs and LBs. I expect a bowl game next year and to have a chance in the West.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
I still believe coach Frost is our best chance to get the program back to being relevant and respectable. I feel like we are getting bigger and stronger as evidenced by playing Wisconsin and Iowa more competitively and physically. Our team played tough and with desire. Feel like he is rebuilding the OL and DL which is imperative in the Big Ten. It was unpopular that Jurgens started the season at center but now it seems to be a good move. I believe that coach Frost and Verducci will be able to fix Martinez in offseason or replace him in the first few games next year. Unlike other coaches and seasons we actually have quality QB backups/alternatives. I feel like he is recruiting well with an emphasis of OL/DL. I will be more confident that he will rebuild the team if we overhaul Special teams, recruit and develop WRs and LBs. I expect a bowl game next year and to have a chance in the West.

Yes, you're 100% on the money and it helps boatloads seeing our OLine actually improving massively. Oh, they still have a long ways to go but they're way, wayyyyyy better than they were.

You betcha, Special Teams are desperately needing help. We can only go up.

I think he is, but I’m still so mad about everything and I consider his staff to be community college level. Look at their resumes and tell me this staff is P5 level. Look at Verduzco’s resume for god’s sake

Why do so many think "only Frost can fix us, nobody else can"? i think if u put ferentz, whittingham (utah), dan mullen, kirby smart, any number of coaches here we could win 8+ games a year. Why is Frost the magic man for our program and nobody else? I get that he played here and knows N, but I think we could hire the utah coach and we'd be solid within a 3-4 years.
Frost is not the only one that can fix us. That is just stupid. Nick Saban or Kirby Smart or Dan Mullen could come in here tomorrow and have us in a bowl game next year. Scott is not that smart of a coach.

WE have to remember the media told everyone how great Nebraska was and everyone bought into it, and it didn't turnout that way and now everyone is doubting SF, and his staff. SF even said when the season started we are still a 4-8 team and have to go out and prove to people who we are. For me, yes, I believe SF is the right guy. Not of this may have not happened if ole Steve Pederson and Harvey the Weasel Perlman hadn't gotten into coaching and thought they knew more.

Reactions: bshirt73
Frost is not the only one that can fix us. That is just stupid. Nick Saban or Kirby Smart or Dan Mullen could come in here tomorrow and have us in a bowl game next year. Scott is not that smart of a coach.

Ironically, we probably could have hired Mullen if Frost had taken the Florida job.

We could have hired Whittingham in 2015 and I can guarantee we would have played in a bowl game every year since, and would probably have won the division this year with the favorable schedule.

I think Frost can eventually get us back to 8-9 wins a year. Prominence? Not likely.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.
Not to restate the obvious, but the difference is obviously the athletes. And I hate to say it, but it seems it’s not easy to recruit top-notch talent to Nebraska any longer. Not that this is breaking news, but every game being broadcast now has changed everything.

We’ll see, but I still believe Frost is the current, best option for Nebraska.

However, I’ve grown incredibly tired of these seasons. I am a 2x graduate of UNL, and I refuse to pay for tickets only to watch a heartbreaker or blowout.

I’m teetering.

If recruiting was going well, I'd say yes. Since it's not, I'm gonna say no.
Well I think recruiting is going okay. Better than it should be given the season record. We HAVE to land a difference making WR and I think we will.

Well I think recruiting is going okay. Better than it should be given the season record. We HAVE to land a difference making WR and I think we will.

Okay isn't good enough to turn a program around. We started off well, but momentum was lost when Frost couldn't win games he needed to win. What difference making WR do you think we'll land?

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
Going to have to replace Spielman also. That is going to be a huge loss. I hate it when I have to hope and pray I am wrong but don't think I am!

Last edited:
Reactions: SC_'sker
I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.
If Frost is willing to make staff changes, changes to practice structure, etc. then yes I can see things improving quite a bit. I have no confidence at all in the staff as it is. After back-to-back losing seasons, wholesale coaching staff changes are needed. Replacing just 1 or 2 assistants isn't going to accomplish much when 7 or 8 of them have been below par.

I don’t believe realistically that more than one, if any at all, coordinators are moved on. But maybe he shocks us and cans several people and makes significant changes in other areas too.

Last edited:

Yes!

i don't think its just athletes. minnesota, wisc, iowa, indiana, purdue, colorado all beat us. none of those are recruiting/athlete hotbeds. yet they all beat us.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
i don't think its just athletes. minnesota, wisc, iowa, indiana, purdue, colorado all beat us. none of those are recruiting/athlete hotbeds. yet they all beat us.

Frost was outcoached in a few of those. Not knowing how to win the close ones often points to a coaching deficiency.

Frost was outcoached in a few of those. Not knowing how to win the close ones often points to a coaching deficiency.

yes he was, but realistically what is your time table? I’m tired if Frosts excuses and wish he’d just shut up and coach, but NU has been a dumpster fire for awhile in the entire athletic department as well as admin. I think we are finally just getting it all sorted out and for me it was going to be at
Least 4 years.

yes he was, but realistically what is your time table? I’m tired if Frosts excuses and wish he’d just shut up and coach, but NU has been a dumpster fire for awhile in the entire athletic department as well as admin. I think we are finally just getting it all sorted out and for me it was going to be at
Least 4 years.

My timetable doesn't matter. He's got seven years, so there's plenty of time for him to improve and get some good teams on the field. He seems to be stubborn though, so I guess we'll see if he can make tough choices and changes when/where necessary.

My timetable doesn't matter. He's got seven years, so there's plenty of time for him to improve and get some good teams on the field. He seems to be stubborn though, so I guess we'll see if he can make tough choices and changes when/where necessary.
Yeah I agree. I think Scott likes to win so I think he’ll make the necessary changes, but man they gotta start happening.

We have out recruited all of those programs with each staff. It’s piss poor coaching that is the problem. Not returning kicks, not catching punts, but then for some reason catching them inside the 5 yard line several times this year. Not having a nickel or dime package on defense against 3rd and long. Repeatedly Lining up in shotgun at the 1 yard line. It’s the worst coaching we have ever had and yet after the game the head man Blames the players and the buy in. Amazing.

Reactions: oldjar07

I think he is maybe could be too emotionally involved because he wants to do so well at his alma mater as he loves the place so much. I hope that doesn't get in his way to where he can't delegate enough, which may be the case right now.

He has a lot to learn, especially about game and clock management. His play calling has been suspect this year, but I wonder if that is because his personnel have been so limiting this year because of injury and washington leaving.

If he stays too loyal to his underperforming assistants, it will really hurt his chances.

Time will tell and, obviously, this is just my observations and opinions, which aren't worth a whole lot.

I do think that with all 11 starters coming back on offense, and the addition of a lot of talented offensive players, our offense is going to be very tough to stop. Even with Frost making some real head-scratcher play calls at times, we are going to be good on that side of the ball

My concern is again on the defensive side of the ball. We lose a lot of size and experience on the DLine. Not sure how much talent there was up front, but that is a lot of experience. But we still have the same coaches teaching the system, which in and of itself makes me nervous. The coaches on that side of the ball are going to have to do a lot to convince me that they shouldn't be sent packing at this point.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Okay isn't good enough to turn a program around. We started off well, but momentum was lost when Frost couldn't win games he needed to win. What difference making WR do you think we'll land?
Betts and Manning.

Going to have to replace Spielman also. That is going to be a huge loss. I hae it when I have to hope and pray I am wrong but don't think I am!
I think you're wrong. I've not seen or heard one reputable report of there even being a possibility of that. It's all been message board crap thus far.

learning on the job--I was really frustrated at the end of the first half against maryland. NU had a golden opportunity for Frost and the team to actually practice clock management in a game situation at the end of that half and it was completely blown off. It could have paid off this week if they would have used it.

I think you're wrong. I've not seen or heard one reputable report of there even being a possibility of that. It's all been message board crap thus far.

I will gladly come on here if Spielman comes back and declare I was WRONG! Very gladly. However I doubt I am going to have to do that! Take that anyway you want to. Problem is Spielman is not the only starter I suspect will be leaving that could return!

Betts and Manning.

I think the Manning ship has sailed, with the offer to Xavier Hutchinson that visited recently. We whiffed on him too.

Will Betts qualify? If he does, will he get on the field as a true freshman? If he does, can we really count on him to be a game changer as a true freshman?

I think the Manning ship has sailed, with the offer to Xavier Hutchinson that visited recently. We whiffed on him too.

Will Betts qualify? If he does, will he get on the field as a true freshman? If he does, can we really count on him to be a game changer as a true freshman?
People who seem to have some knowledge of where he's at seem to thing he's got his act together this year. IF Mo Washington could get eligible I have to think Betts will too. We've heard the same scare story about several other Nebraska kids and they all made it for Frost.

People who seem to have some knowledge of where he's at seem to thing he's got his act together this year. IF Mo Washington could get eligible I have to think Betts will too. We've heard the same scare story about several other Nebraska kids and they all made it for Frost.

Like Watts? Like Bland? There's two right there that didn't make it. Wasn't there also an OL in the transition class that didn't make it? Canty?

I will gladly come on here if Spielman comes back and declare I was WRONG! Very gladly. However I doubt I am going to have to do that! Take that anyway you want to. Problem is Spielman is not the only starter I suspect will be leaving that could return!
What's your source?

Like Watts? Like Bland? There's two right there that didn't make it. Wasn't there also an OL in the transition class that didn't make it? Canty?
Watts and Bland weren't Nebraska kids and neither had any recruiting analyst indicating that they were going to make it. We've had 2 kids from Nebraska make it who multiple people on this board were saying had no chance to qualify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT