ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still think Frost is the man to lead us to prominence?

georgiacorn

Sophomore
Nov 2, 2001
I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.

I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.
I think Frost is our BEST chance to return us to winning ways in my lifetime. No outsider is going to get the time required to rebuild this sleeping giant. Obviously MANY alums, boosters and administrators feel the same way or they wouldn't have extended his contract.

I believe somewhere in the back of my mind he will get us improved within a few years. Why are you guys so convinced? Because he played here and knows what it takes to win?

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.

Yes I do. Frost will get us there and he is the right man. After year 2, my opinion is still no different. I remember the mess Mike Riley left him and how a complete team gave up and cashed it all in. Frost had/has his work cut out for him. But I’ll admit, he needs to make a few changes on the coaching staff. We need to fix our special teams...that needs to be step one.

Last edited:
I’m not sure. I definitely thought he would do a lot better than he has so far. What’s your definition of prominence? I can see Frost getting us to ‘09-10 level status, like where BoBo had us. Will he get us to a top 4 level football program? I don’t see it. Hope I’m wrong.
i really don't see us becoming an ohio st/clemson type juggernaut, so i guess i'd say prominence would be what you see wisconsin accomplishing, 9-10-11 wins, big 10 west champs, maybe lose respectably to the east champion, maybe a new years's bowl.

Unless he learns to be a leader and head coach rather than a co-head coach offensive coordinator, then no, I don’t. Right now Frost is his own worst enemy and the primary reason we have 9 wins in 2 seasons. If he learns from his mistakes, we will be good again. If not, we’ll be discussing HC options in a couple of years. This program needs stability so we to hope for the best.

Wish we could get players thoughts and opinions on Frost. Betting there would be some very shocked posters on this board!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I think what we consider prominence will morph - we make fun of Iowa but they have have gone 12-8-8-9-9 or 10 wins the last 5 years

Frost will be here forever with these type of seasons mixed in - maybe that isn’t so bad

We are going to be accepting of Iowa like consistency in the future - again maybe that is good

God only knows. He needs time and continuity. They need to develop their lines on both sides. Skill is lacking big time at WR. LBs are a weak point on team. Should consider moving to a 4-3 defense. Need to hit a couple HRs in recruiting and develop the hell out of the new crop. They have some dudes coming in, hope the guys that stay buy into culture.

Need something new or different to boost special teams play. The STs were a huge liability this season.

Game wise they need to stop the losing streaks to Iowa and Wisconsin. Next year they have to make a bowl to show some progress... probably need 7 wins.

He’s going to get time, just worry about the continued degradation of fan support and general malaise toward the program.

Reactions: Clevinger
I believe somewhere in the back of my mind he will get us improved within a few years. Why are you guys so convinced? Because he played here and knows what it takes to win?
Effort, work, cares, relevant successful experience as a player, assistant and head coach. He's been successful at EVERYTHING he's done. He's played and worked under the best coaches in college and the NFL. Getting back to being a top 10 program every year is a TALL task that few teams can achieve. Getting us back in the mix for conference championships is realistic but the B1G doesn't have a Big12 North division. I would always marvel back duringTO's reign of terror at how the B1G beat the hell out of each other every year. Now we get to see it first hand. Different ball of wax.

Love Frost, but am beginning to become skeptical if he'll have what it takes to overcome his own stubbornness. That's in regards to both his choices for some assistant coaches and sucking with a QB that's obviously struggling and could very well become outplayed by the other guys behind him. I'll be relieved if he at least shows signs of being fair and looking to give other options a chance. Otherwise it'll be hard to witness the coming years and I might just have to tune out. I hope that's not the case, as I'm a Husker fan through an through.

He either is or he’ll go down as the worst HC for Nebraska in modern football.

this is the lowest our fan base has ever been going into the off-season. Really hard to be pumped about anything’s. We’ve missed bowl games 5 times in most of our lifetimes (sorry old timers)

2004- new coach, new system. Had a consensus top 5 recruiting system. Lots of positives for all.
2007- BC was fired. Bo hire was a crowd pleaser. Reason to believe again
2017- MR fired. We got Frost, the hottest coach in the nation. again, things to look forward to at the end of the season
2018- finished the season 4-2 in our last 6. Team really seemed to be developing. AM looked legit. We had the opportunity to win against tOSU and Iowa.

2019- 2-6 in our last 8. 3rd straight year without a bowl. Our QB looks awful and our staff seems married to him. Bad play calling was evident throughout the year. Our recruiting class isn’t sexy and may be the worst ranked in many years. Our best commit seems unlikely to qualify. It’s just really hard to find a positive in the program right now.

I think what we consider prominence will morph - we make fun of Iowa but they have have gone 12-8-8-9-9 or 10 wins the last 5 years

Frost will be here forever with these type of seasons mixed in - maybe that isn’t so bad

We are going to be accepting of Iowa like consistency in the future - again maybe that is good
and ioa has had stability in coaching for the last 20 years, not even comparable

Unless he learns to be a leader and head coach rather than a co-head coach offensive coordinator, then no, I don’t. Right now Frost is his own worst enemy and the primary reason we have 9 wins in 2 seasons. If he learns from his mistakes, we will be good again. If not, we’ll be discussing HC options in a couple of years. This program needs stability so we to hope for the best.
really well put.

and ioa has had stability in coaching for the last 20 years, not even comparable

Fair enough - Kirk Ferentz

year 4 - top 10 team
year 5 - top 10 team
year 6 - top 10 team

are you going to evaluate Frost based on what Ferentz achieved at Iowa in year 4 on - is that comparable?

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia

Not sure what your definition of prominence is - but at this point I don’t see him being much better than Pelini.

He either is or he’ll go down as the worst HC for Nebraska in modern football.

this is the lowest our fan base has ever been going into the off-season. Really hard to be pumped about anything’s. We’ve missed bowl games 5 times in most of our lifetimes (sorry old timers)

2004- new coach, new system. Had a consensus top 5 recruiting system. Lots of positives for all.
2007- BC was fired. Bo hire was a crowd pleaser. Reason to believe again
2017- MR fired. We got Frost, the hottest coach in the nation. again, things to look forward to at the end of the season
2018- finished the season 4-2 in our last 6. Team really seemed to be developing. AM looked legit. We had the opportunity to win against tOSU and Iowa.

2019- 2-6 in our last 8. 3rd straight year without a bowl. Our QB looks awful and our staff seems married to him. Bad play calling was evident throughout the year. Our recruiting class isn’t sexy and may be the worst ranked in many years. Our best commit seems unlikely to qualify. It’s just really hard to find a positive in the program right now.

You echo my thoughts 100%. I don’t expect us to win more than 5 or 6 games next year. Haven’t been this discouraged with the Huskers in my 25+ years of following.

year 4 - top 10 team
year 5 - top 10 team
year 6 - top 10 team

are you going to evaluate Frost to what Ferentz achieved at Iowa in year 4 on - is that comparable?

sure, let’s wait and see what he does in year 4. We could easily be a top 10ish team.

year 4 - top 10 team
year 5 - top 10 team
year 6 - top 10 team

are you going to evaluate Frost to what Ferentz achieved at Iowa in year 4 on - is that comparable?
are you going to give it time?

Yes I do. Frost will get us there and he is the right man. After year 2, my opinion is still no different. I remember the mess Mike Riley left him and how a complete team gave up and cashed it all in. Frost had/has his work cut out for him. But I’ll admit, he needs to make a few changes on the coaching staff. We need to fix our special teams...that needs to be step one.

Amen. By a country mile......

Reactions: huskerssalts
He will get every opportunity and rightfully so. If he can’t do it then really I am not sure it could be done here. Realistically he is our best shot!

Reactions: huskerssalts
are you going to give it time?

Of course ... let’s see how Frost at Nebraska compares to Ferentz at Iowa in his first 6 years as far as elite seasons are concerned. Frost has a better record than Ferentz in his 1st 2 years. The question was does Frost get us to prominence. Ferentz had 3 prominent seasons (top 10) in his first 6 seasons. Let’s see how many Frost will have.

I hope he is. Am I convinced? No, am I certain he isn't? No. I just was hoping for some steps forward this year. It wont get any easier.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
ferentz has 5 seasons of double digit wins in 20years, with no outright big 10 title....yeah, will not be happy with that

ferentz has 5 seasons of double digit wins in 20years, with no outright big 10 title....yeah, will not be happy with that

we will not be happy ... but I think we will continue find ways that 7- 8 wins could have been 10 or 9 wins 11 etc, etc, etc and poof - like magic - we have our forever coach just like Iowa.

Of course ... let’s see how Frost at Nebraska compares to Ferentz at Iowa in his first 6 years as far as elite seasons are concerned. Frost has a better record than Ferentz in his 1st 2 years. The question was does Frost get us to prominence. Ferentz had 3 prominent seasons (top 10) in his first 6 seasons. Let’s see how many Frost will have.
who do we compare frost to after those 6 seasons? interesting you stopped at 6

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT