ADVERTISEMENT

Do we audible anymore?

HCHTown

Walk On
Oct 21, 2012
In the glory days our QB was always changing the play at the line of scrimmage to attack the defense at it’s weakest point.

I don’t see that happening these days. Is it inexperience at QB? do the picture cards mean the press box is changing the play? Is that good?

Something is missing.

True freshman qb.. give it time. I imagine he could flip the play if he wanted to, but right now, I think they are trying to focus on running the called play and making the right reads from zone running game as well as identifying the right receiver in the passing game. This other stuff will come in time as the basics become second nature.

In the glory days our QB was always changing the play at the line of scrimmage to attack the defense at it’s weakest point.

I don’t see that happening these days. Is it inexperience at QB? do the picture cards mean the press box is changing the play? Is that good?

Something is missing.

I'm pretty sure they do. You can sometimes see the o-line look to the sideline for the signal.

Looking to sideline to change play gives defence opportunity to change. On the field audibles were integral to getting advantage in glory days. I haven’t seen it but maybe they do it.

Remember players pounding their helmets when the noise was too loud.

Something is missing.
You cornholios don't understand RPO football do you?

You cornholios don't understand RPO football do you?
And you don’t understand audibles do you? What you’re talking about Is the same thing as option football.

An audible is where the QB changes the call AT THE LINE BEFORE THE SNAP.

Don’t bring such weak crap to this board.

What an absolute know-nothing moron.

Last edited:
Really not a lot of need for audible when the team lines up quickly and then gets the play from the sideline when the coaches have had a chance to look at the defense. Also, the point of going fast is to catch the other team from making adjustments and taking advantage of bad matchups. The point of what they do is not really for us to audible, but to make the defense change.

Really not a lot of need for audible when the team lines up quickly and then gets the play from the sideline when the coaches have had a chance to look at the defense. Also, the point of going fast is to catch the other team from making adjustments and taking advantage of bad matchups. The point of what they do is not really for us to audible, but to make the defense change.
Yes. There was more audibling when plays were "sent in" from the sideline. Now they are signaled in without huddling so they can look to the sideline for a play change which technically is an audible in essence. Audibles most generally were a predetermined flip play or designated play. With today's formations it gets a little tougher. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to audible into a qb running play. But what's the point. With the zone read style of offense, every play is literally a run/pass option anyway.

Something is missing.

The real answer.... in this offense they run rpos, zone reads... what happens on any given play should be dictated by the box count and/or how the safeties are lined up. On obvious passing downs audibles do happen

wrong bud
How am I wrong? What is an audible?

I’m not talking about RPOs or zone reads, I’m talking about audibles. Please enlighten me. I don’t remember tanner lee last year doing RPOs or zone reads, but I do remember audibles.

Another know-nothing moron.

Thanks in advance bud.

How am I wrong? What is an audible?

I’m not talking about RPOs or zone reads, I’m talking about audibles. Please enlighten me. I don’t remember tanner lee last year doing RPOs or zone reads, but I do remember audibles.

Another know-nothing moron.

Thanks in advance bud.
We did do it a lot last year. In that offense plays were sent in, no zone read or RPO’s, so if we didn’t get a look we liked, we had to audible out of the original call.

We did do it a lot last year. In that offense plays were sent in, no zone read or RPO’s, so if we didn’t get a look we liked, we had to audible out of the original call.
That’s my point. We didn’t do RPOs or zone reads, we did audibles.

Some trolls just don’t understand what an audible is I guess.

Reactions: headcard
The offense has a coach-centered audible as the framework of the offense...

Rush to the line with a formation...see the defense set...maybe even cadence to see blizters...then look to sideline for the new play, realign skill players, cadence again...assign protections...go! That is one reason for the pace... we often get to the line with 25 seconds on the clock but do not snap for another 15 seconds because of "audibles". I am not sure Frosty will ever give up play call duties to a qb...especially because the qb has to ostensibly make 3 or 4 option decisions on most plays when the offense is really clicking...Frosty has already said he wants 5 options on every play...Qb run, fly sweep, bubble screen, and two WR/TE deep routes...the qb has to determine the right one from the snap.

That’s my point. We didn’t do RPOs or zone reads, we did audibles.

Some trolls just don’t understand what an audible is I guess.

Were you expecting SF to come in and run mr. rogers’s offense? I think you are having a hard time understanding that different offensive philosophies exist.

Nebraska doesn’t run a ball-control pro-style offense anymore, we run a hurry-up spread option offense.

@BeautifulDayintheNeighborhood,

What is wrong with you? Stop drinking, then you will understand my post. Seriously don’t get why you can’t understand what I posted.

Let me simplify it for you.

Step 1) OP asks why don’t we audible anymore.

Step 2) Troll says, you cornholios don’t understand RPOs do you

Step 3) I respond to troll explaining what an audible is, NOT SAYING FROST SHOULD USE AUDIBLES

Step 4) troll (you) say, wrong bud

Step 5) I ask how I’m wrong about what an audible is and call you a moron as well

Step 6) you think I’m talking about how Frost should use audibles, I guess, and that I don’t understand RPOs and zone reads

Step 7) I am now telling you you’re a drunk idiot who can’t read because I never said anything st all about Frost should use audibles, I merely responded to the other troll that an audible and an RPO is not the same thing

You’re a moron who is either drunk or can’t read for comprehension.

I agree with the OP, just because it's an rpo doesn't negate the need for an audible in certain situations. Sometimes the route combo isn't going to work against a certain coverage and you need to change it up. Especially against the blitz, you'll generally want to audible into quicker routes. I don't think I've seen us audible much at all against a blitz. If the defense is bringing 6 guys you probably want to account for that, but instead of audibling our running back to stay in and help block, he runs a slow developing route and our qb gets sacked.

Were you expecting SF to come in and run mr. rogers’s offense? I think you are having a hard time understanding that different offensive philosophies exist.

Nebraska doesn’t run a ball-control pro-style offense anymore, we run a hurry-up spread option offense.
Hello, Sherlock, you out there? Wondering when you’re gonna come in and tell me that the forward pass is now legal.

While you’re at it, can you tell me about the blitz? Is that offense or defense? I never can remember, and you are the only one I trust to explain it to me.

Thanks in advance, Sherlock.

Looking to sideline to change play gives defence opportunity to change. On the field audibles were integral to getting advantage in glory days. I haven’t seen it but maybe they do it.

Remember players pounding their helmets when the noise was too loud.

These systems have dummy calls built in all over the place. Plus the defense doesn't know the original play. If there was one.

I agree with the OP, just because it's an rpo doesn't negate the need for an audible in certain situations. Sometimes the route combo isn't going to work against a certain coverage and you need to change it up. Especially against the blitz, you'll generally want to audible into quicker routes. I don't think I've seen us audible much at all against a blitz. If the defense is bringing 6 guys you probably want to account for that, but instead of audibling our running back to stay in and help block, he runs a slow developing route and our qb gets sacked.

Amazon product ASIN 1495234061
I have this book. Mostly he talks about hot receivers and the QB's being "responsible" for the blitzers.

His son (Bryn Renner) started at North Carolina for 2 or 3 years.

Why do you think I am a troll?
Because of your posting history. I don’t see you supporting the huskers in your posts… I don’t recall if you beat up on huskers or not, or if it’s just always wisecracks from you. Too many different posters for me to remember… And it seems to me that at some point in the past, you even acknowledge to being in Iowa fan. But I absolutely could be wrong about that.

If you aren’t a troll, what’s your story?

Because of your posting history. I don’t see you supporting the huskers in your posts… I don’t recall if you beat up on huskers or not, or if it’s just always wisecracks from you. Too many different posters for me to remember… And it seems to me that at some point in the past, you even acknowledge to being in Iowa fan. But I absolutely could be wrong about that.

If you aren’t a troll, what’s your story?

For the record... not an iowa fan. I post on here for fun. So many people here get butthurt about “trolls” , maybe just pay the money and stick to the premium forum.

I have been to so many games at memorial stadium that I have caught 2 hot dogs on separate occasions. that should prove my fandom.

Reactions: timnsun
For the record... not an iowa fan. I post on here for fun. So many people here get butthurt about “trolls” , maybe just pay the money and stick to the premium forum.

I have been to so many games at memorial stadium that I have caught 2 hot dogs on separate occasions. that should prove my fandom.
My apologies.

I’m too cheap to drop any money for the pay board, so that’s a nonstarter. And I get a lot out of this board, even with fans from other teams. I try not to be too disrespectful to our own fans, but I fail at times. Trolls are a different story, but it’s hard to know who is and isn’t a troll. Signup date is also an indicator for me, and you signed up in October last year. But that doesn’t tell the story either.

So again, my apologies.

And you don’t understand audibles do you? What you’re talking about Is the same thing as option football.

An audible is where the QB changes the call AT THE LINE BEFORE THE SNAP.

Don’t bring such weak crap to this board.

What an absolute know-nothing moron.
Hey genius, it is obvious that you have absolutely zero understanding of the fundamental play calling concepts of CSFs scheme both pre and post snap..... ZERO,NADA,ZIPPO!!!

@BeautifulDayintheNeighborhood,

What is wrong with you? Stop drinking, then you will understand my post. Seriously don’t get why you can’t understand what I posted.

Let me simplify it for you.

Step 1) OP asks why don’t we audible anymore.

Step 2) Troll says, you cornholios don’t understand RPOs do you

Step 3) I respond to troll explaining what an audible is, NOT SAYING FROST SHOULD USE AUDIBLES

Step 4) troll (you) say, wrong bud

Step 5) I ask how I’m wrong about what an audible is and call you a moron as well

Step 6) you think I’m talking about how Frost should use audibles, I guess, and that I don’t understand RPOs and zone reads

Step 7) I am now telling you you’re a drunk idiot who can’t read because I never said anything st all about Frost should use audibles, I merely responded to the other troll that an audible and an RPO is not the same thing

You’re a moron who is either drunk or can’t read for comprehension.
Might want to include sniffing coke smoking a joint

Something is missing.
good post. I don't think we ever audible.

Reactions: gobigred670
Bingo...this guy understands the way this scheme works!

The offense has a coach-centered audible as the framework of the offense...

Rush to the line with a formation...see the defense set...maybe even cadence to see blizters...then look to sideline for the new play, realign skill players, cadence again...assign protections...go! That is one reason for the pace... we often get to the line with 25 seconds on the clock but do not snap for another 15 seconds because of "audibles". I am not sure Frosty will ever give up play call duties to a qb...especially because the qb has to ostensibly make 3 or 4 option decisions on most plays when the offense is really clicking...Frosty has already said he wants 5 options on every play...Qb run, fly sweep, bubble screen, and two WR/TE deep routes...the qb has to determine the right one from the snap.
Wow someone who understands the offensive play calling and how adjustments are made in this scheme pre snap! NO QB in this scheme would ever call an audible, hence in the context it was asked it indicated a total lack of understanding...........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT