ADVERTISEMENT

Did Trev help find and hire Mark Whipple?

jozimmer

Walk On
Sep 3, 2005
Knowing Trev told Scott Frost he needed to get some new coaches, did Trev help find and convince Whipple to coach at NU?

He says no, but I really don't see why Frost would turn over the offense to him willingly. Given the results, I wish he hadn't.

Knowing Trev told Scott Frost he needed to get some new coaches, did Trev help find and convince Whipple to coach at NU?
So how do you know he told Frost that? I am always curious when something is stated as fact when it is in question.

Trev probably told Frost that he would need an Offensive Coordinator to take over the play calling so that Scott could attempt to coach his overall team on the sideline and not have his head buried in his offensive script throughout the whole game. Especially if the game was close in the last few minutes.

Hiring of coaches is not the AD's job and no Trev didn't tell him who he was gonna hire and as a matter of fact it caught him off guard when Frost fired almost the entire offensive staff as he had no idea Frost was gonna pull that trigger, once again not the AD's job.

He says no, but I really don't see why Frost would turn over the offense to him willingly. Given the results, I wish he hadn't.
You all are missing Frost’s connection to Whipple. It’s Chip Kelly. Whipple has been friends with Chip for years. I believe Whip was Frosts hire and Mickey and Busch were somebody else’s suggestion whether that was Trev or somebody else.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
if we get the cinny coach and remain full pass happy ahead, we need to keep a eye on ut for more qb transfers, like card..

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
You all are missing Frost’s connection to Whipple. It’s Chip Kelly. Whipple has been friends with Chip for years. I believe Whip was Frosts hire and Mickey and Busch were somebody else’s suggestion whether that was Trev or somebody else.

They're friends, fine, but they have very different offensive philosophies.

Reactions: dinglefritz
They're friends, fine, but they have very different offensive philosophies.
A difference in offensive philosophies doesn’t mean Chip wouldn’t suggest him to Frost as an OC option. There is no other connection between Frost and Whip than Chip.

Reactions: Wyldcard
No, I don't think Trev helped with this. Whipple was in conflict with his head coach at Pittsburgh and was looking for a change. He's also at the end of his career and was always a stop gap coach. I don't think he planned on being here for 10 years.

It's just a feeling, but I'm beginning to think that everything that has transpired as gone to plan and Alberts is the mastermind. I think Trev knew that Frost is a failure and wanted to fire him at the end of last season, but for some reason (favor to TO, pressure from the administration, or just crafting a plan where he would not be the focus of criticism after the 2021 close loss season) he decided to have him come back with some changes and let Frost hang himself, which he did quite eloquently with the famous on-side kick against Northwestern.

Now, if it's true that Trev is getting a good HC, the transformation is complete. We'll have to go through some tough years still, but one can only hope that a new coach and staff, given an off-season to work with the players, while bringing in some decent transfers, to get is above .500 in 2023. If we get to this point in 2023, there's hope.

Whipple is an older version of SF, delusional and cocky as hell. Frost saw the similarity and couldn't refuse hiring an older version of himself.
We’re trying too hard. Chip was the connection between Frost and Whipple.

Desperation move. It was a bad fit but something that happens in a bad relationship. Trev clearly told Scott something needed to change so he got the best coordinator he could, Whip was hot last year.

No, I don't think Trev helped with this. Whipple was in conflict with his head coach at Pittsburgh and was looking for a change. He's also at the end of his career and was always a stop gap coach. I don't think he planned on being here for 10 years.

It's just a feeling, but I'm beginning to think that everything that has transpired as gone to plan and Alberts is the mastermind. I think Trev knew that Frost is a failure and wanted to fire him at the end of last season, but for some reason (favor to TO, pressure from the administration, or just crafting a plan where he would not be the focus of criticism after the 2021 close loss season) he decided to have him come back with some changes and let Frost hang himself, which he did quite eloquently with the famous on-side kick against Northwestern.

Now, if it's true that Trev is getting a good HC, the transformation is complete. We'll have to go through some tough years still, but one can only hope that a new coach and staff, given an off-season to work with the players, while bringing in some decent transfers, to get is above .500 in 2023. If we get to this point in 2023, there's hope.
Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT