ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Howard owes Scott Frost an apology

ESPN switched to sensationalized news, much like CNN, right around the beginning of shut down.

I seriously shut off my cable after they publicly crucified Drew Brews for merely sharing his opinion on the flag and why he wouldn't kneel. They sided with virtue signaling, hate-mongers like Malcolm Jenkins and forced Brees to go on an apology tour for not sharing the hive-minded opinion.

Really the only way I can show my disdain to media giants like ESPN is to tune them out. I believe their ratings are reflective of the crap they started spewing.

People watch sports to tune out of political drama. Now, the two are intertwined and it's damaging their brands. There was a time that corporations and sports did NOT interject their political opinions in fear of polarizing half of their supporting base. Those were good times

The obsession about Desmond Howard has run its course. He is a TV commentator and part of his job is to stir up interest. They are measured by comments, likes, engagement. He was successful at his job particularly in the Husker world. He had an opinion that many, including myself disagreed with. In the future when that happens, ignore him. Responding and engaging only encourages more disagreeable takes.

The obsession about Desmond Howard has run its course. He is a TV commentator and part of his job is to stir up interest. They are measured by comments, likes, engagement. He was successful at his job particularly in the Husker world. He had an opinion that many, including myself disagreed with. In the future when that happens, ignore him. Responding and engaging only encourages more disagreeable takes.
He did more than express a click bait opinion on a hot topic. You could tell that this seemed personal to him. His words were emotional, heated, visceral. You could see his disgust for Nebraska in his face and words. He called for the conference to “kick our asses out”. The dude does owe Nebraska an apology. But we won’t get it.

Take the high road? I don’t think so...

He did more than express a click bait opinion on a hot topic. You could tell that this seemed personal to him. His words were emotional, heated, visceral. You could see his disgust for Nebraska in his face and words. He called for the conference to “kick our asses out”. The dude does owe Nebraska an apology. But we won’t get it.
It's almost like these B1G guys have no respect for Nebraska and don't want us around...

It's almost like these B1G guys have no respect for Nebraska and don't want us around...
Sean Callahan said in an interview that Nebraska has never been much liked in the rest of the conference. Because UNL is so piss poor academically (which it is, comparatively speaking) the rest of the conference views Nebraska as a washed-up football program, at a jock school, in a State with no recruiting base. There is still resentment over Nebraska being invited in at all.
This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we start winning again. Our inclusion in the conference as a true member won’t happen until we are a really good team again. I think this is why Frost is so desperate to play this year. He is just itching to get us going again.

Sean Callahan said in an interview that Nebraska has never been much liked in the rest of the conference. Because UNL is so piss poor academically (which it is, comparatively speaking) the rest of the conference views Nebraska as a washed-up football program, at a jock school, in a State with no recruiting base. There is still resentment over Nebraska being invited in at all.
It's just a bad cultural fit, but I don't see any turning back now.

This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we start winning again. Our inclusion in the conference as a true member won’t happen until we are a really good team again. I think this is why Frost is so desperate to play this year. He is just itching to get us going again.
I see so we’re terrible in academic doesn’t that mean the big 10 is nothing more that a bunch of smart sexual predators and racist? Makes sense to me. They should be happy to have Nebraska in their conference, since we don’t have near the baggage as the rest of the snobbish school

There will be no aplogy but they are preparing their article about how nebraska caused (something negative about covid) in the conference.

You’ll never regret taking the high road, but the low road is so much more fun.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I hate to say it but I also wonder if race played a part in it. Howard and Wilbon are both obviously black and defending the first Black commish in the B1G, with blind faith.

If they come out and praise Fields, then we know the answer.

And again, I hate to say it and I know no one else wants to say it. But I am all for cleaning up racism in America but it’s got to be all racism of all colors. Again, it’s probably not the case but we can’t rule it out yet. But if they praise Fields they should be questioned and held accountable

Howard got out of it exactly what he wanted - a lot of free publicity. If you are a college sports pundit there's no easier way to get attention than to slam/disparage Nebraska football. Easy pickings cause Nebraska fans will bite every time on that bait.

ESPN switched to sensationalized news, much like CNN, right around the beginning of shut down.

I seriously shut off my cable after they publicly crucified Drew Brews for merely sharing his opinion on the flag and why he wouldn't kneel. They sided with virtue signaling, hate-mongers like Malcolm Jenkins and forced Brees to go on an apology tour for not sharing the hive-minded opinion.

Really the only way I can show my disdain to media giants like ESPN is to tune them out. I believe their ratings are reflective of the crap they started spewing.

People watch sports to tune out of political drama. Now, the two are intertwined and it's damaging their brands. There was a time that corporations and sports did NOT interject their political opinions in fear of polarizing half of their supporting base. Those were good times
Media hasn’t changed throughout its entire history, it has been there to entertain and sell advertising. You have to discern the real story. It just so happens that through history most of the spin has been one way due to lack of diversity. As the country diversifies, so will the media. Those that can’t process multiple messages and come up with the real story are going to struggle... Fox = CNN = ESPN they are all the same. I force myself to watch them all as you get a good window into America. It is a scary view sometimes, but that is how it is. That being said, I would have been fascinated to see how ESPN would have reacted if Frost was African American.

Reactions: arf_man and c3o
Media hasn’t changed throughout its entire history, it has been there to entertain and sell advertising. You have to discern the real story. It just so happens that through history most of the spin has been one way due to lack of diversity. As the country diversifies, so will the media. Those that can’t process multiple messages and come up with the real story are going to struggle... Fox = CNN = ESPN they are all the same. I force myself to watch them all as you get a good window into America. It is a scary view sometimes, but that is how it is. That being said, I would have been fascinated to see how ESPN would have reacted if Frost was African American.

Appreciate your incite.

Disagree. The media is also there to manipulate. Exposing Operation Mockingbird proved that the alphabet agencies were indeed placing agents in the major networks with a focus on "news"

Also, in 2013, the Obama Admin repealed the Smith-Mundt Act making it perfectly legal to use propaganda on the US citizens via the mainstream media

Also, just look at their actions. Politicizing sports, even. Dumb move. Certainly not one anyone with business acumen would do. You'd never make a move to polarize your buying population (or in this case, viewer)

I did find it interesting that they chose to chastise Frost for wanting to play but left Michigan and OSU alone, for wanting the same. And, I doubt they'd say much if Frost were black.

I agree to a point. The problem as I see it, is that when the 24 hour news cycle came into existence, things changed. Prior to that, reporting of news was just that. President Reagan said blah, President Carter took traveled to blah ....as an example.

When CNN, FOX News and MSNBC came on there just isn't 24 hours worth of news. So they started creating shows that were opinion based. In the beginning Fox had Hannity and Combes, and the two would go tit for tat basically argue for an hour on topics based on their ideology. That is no longer the case. Each "news" channel has picked a side and they just blast you with opinions and bias coverage.

If you only watched MSNBC or CNN, didnt have a twitter and facebook, you would have absolutely no idea that there were crazy things going on in Seattle earlier this summer and no clue about the violence in Portland. As far as you would know, there were/are just peaceful protests going on. Same on the other side, if you only watched Fox, you would think that there was only violence in Seattle and Portland.

But how the news is reported is much different than when I was a kid.

As an announcer and analyst , Desmond Howard is about as great as his NFL career played out.

Actually Howard owes Scott Frost a big thank you for giving him something to talk about and a lot of extra attention. All that attention is exactly what a pundit craves.

Damn fine post Penny. My blind guess is HCSF is just two years away (assuming we do play this year) from bringing the Big Red Machine returned to kicking ass & taking names. He knows you simply "must" have the big, mean uglies ready to roll.

The Big10 snowflakes will hate that......but we'll love it!!:)

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Damn fine post Penny. My blind guess is HCSF is just two years away (assuming we do play this year) from bringing the Big Red Machine returned to kicking ass & taking names. He knows you simply "must" have the big, mean uglies ready to roll.

The Big10 snowflakes will hate that......but we'll love it!!:)
I hope you are right. We must improve in the trenches. If we don’t, nothing else will work no matter how many Wandales we have. Osborne’s success was built on dominance up front on both sides of the ball. We just beat the shit out of people. So far Frost’s teams have been soft in the trenches. That has to change. Of course, he knows that.

We will never be a dominant team again until we are dominant up front. Period. Frost has recruited some big bodies on the line so I think he is building a good base. But this damn Covid virus is setting things back,

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT