ADVERTISEMENT

Debate: Thread with no Link - Acceptable?

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Let's get serious and talk about a real board issue. Scenario: You just read or viewed some legit Husker football content somewhere on the Internets and you think this board would just love to read it too. You create the thread, write the description...but do you post the link?

Argument for: Hey, I was just on the webpage where the content resides and the page is still open on my browser. Heck, I'll just copy/paste it quick for my Husker brethren on the board.

Argument against: I'm busy bro, they're lucky I even posted the thread at all. If they can't figure out how to google a Twitter page, not my problem.

So, link or no link? Thoughts?

Reactions: resdog851
I think this is a two-way street. If I get the content from another board, I use common courtesy (for Rivals.com) and do not post a link to drive traffic to another site, but I will post the info. If someone cannot do the leg work on their own, they can message me.

If I find info on Twitter, I'll link it, just to add some credibility to what I've just said or to ensure that the information I pass along is not information I am passing off as my own.

With that said, I have no issues with someone not posting a link. I can do the leg work on my own.

I think it's common courtesy to include a link. I don't think every thread needs a link though.

At least to me, it depends on how direct/obtuse the post is. Consider these examples:

1. <insert name> is on the outland trophy nominee list.
2. <insert name> done good.

I see the purpose of a forum as a place to discuss topics. If you're introducing a thread, you're inviting discussion. The onus is on the thread starter to bring the first information to the thread. If your assertion is, you can use google to uncover info from some obtuse post, why post it at all.

Reactions: siegsker
Let's get serious and talk about a real board issue. Scenario: You just read or viewed some legit Husker football content somewhere on the Internets and you think this board would just love to read it too. You create the thread, write the description...but do you post the link?

Argument for: Hey, I was just on the webpage where the content resides and the page is still open on my browser. Heck, I'll just copy/paste it quick for my Husker brethren on the board.

Argument against: I'm busy bro, they're lucky I even posted the thread at all. If they can't figure out how to google a Twitter page, not my problem.

Link???

Reactions: Husk10
60916588.jpg

Lol.

I know the thread this is referring to.

Look, I don't mind if there's no link. But at least be a little descriptive. "Hey, I saw this on Twitter." If you're just going to make a vague reference to something in a thread and not offer any explanation or context, you've earned the blowback. At least be understanding when people are confused.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Lol.

I know the thread this is referring to.

Look, I don't mind if there's no link. But at least be a little descriptive. "Hey, I saw this on Twitter." If you're just going to make a vague reference to something in a thread and not offer any explanation or context, you've earned the blowback. At least be understanding when people are confused.
When you do post the link, this board also jumps on people because they "don't want tp sign up to read anything". This place will keep being a destination for people to bitch whenever anything is shared, and then bitch that not enough Husker Sports is being talked about. Then they will bitch because "its their right to talk about politics and religion here"
But yes, let's all concentrate on me not dropping a link in a thread. That makes complete sense given the tone around here.

When you do post the link, this board also jumps on people because they "don't want tp sign up to read anything". This place will keep being a destination for people to bitch whenever anything is shared, and then bitch that not enough Husker Sports is being talked about. Then they will bitch because "its their right to talk about politics and religion here"
But yes, let's all concentrate on me not dropping a link in a thread. That makes complete sense given the tone around here.

Do you a link for this post?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
This is the most hilariously overdefensive response I've ever seen in something that should have just ended at "By the way, it was on Twitter. Sorry, I forgot to mention that."

But, you keep fighting that good fight, man!

I may have been the cause of this minor board kerfuffle. I'm a black belt in Google-fu, yet it annoys me on here when somebody(anyone) posts a tantalizing description of some great knowledge they have and then just leave. If the info is not from an opposing site, I think it would only be natural to just link the source info for the masses to read for themselves. Mentioning it and then expecting others to go find it themselves is just bad manners in my mind. Continually giving the same sarcastic one word response with a question mark after that is childish. Thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Link posting is common courtesy.

Carrying on an act for multiple days over someone asking for a link to vague information is just being a dick.
Get over it. You are still bitter at me because you stuck up for a lunatic for years, when people with basic cognative thinking skills could see exactly what he was. Now you are nothing more than a whiny cancer around here. You bring exactly zero to the board except to bitch.

Get over it. You are still bitter at me because you stuck up for a lunatic for years, when people with basic cognative thinking skills could see exactly what he was. Now you are nothing more than a whiny cancer around here. You bring exactly zero to the board except to bitch.
One things for sure... Having been in battles with you before, you never shy away from a good message board fight. Cool

This all started because 463 said KB was working out with Williams and it was going well. Why the fvck does that need a link? My God people just give it a rest. I haven't been on prep's side much but some of you are just looking for a fight where there isn't one.

This all started because 463 said KB was working out with Williams and it was going well. Why the fvck does that need a link? My God people just give it a rest. I haven't been on prep's side much but some of you are just looking for a fight where there isn't one.
I would respectfully disagree... It's not an uncommon sight at all to see something reported and have another poster ask for a link. In fact, I would say it's an almost daily occurrence. What set it off was 4.6.3. getting under the skin of some by running with the whole "link?" thing. I agree that it is a bit silly that it has gotten to this point, but we used to see this daily, or at least every few days, so why has it blown up this time?

I would respectfully disagree... It's not an uncommon sight at all to see something reported and have another poster ask for a link. In fact, I would say it's an almost daily occurrence. What set it off was 4.6.3. getting under the skin of some by running with the whole "link?" thing. I agree that it is a bit silly that it has gotten to this point, but we used to see this daily, or at least every few days, so why has it blown up this time?
Respectfully or not, you didn't answer the question. I understand certain posts require a link to get more info. Landing a recruit, a player getting arrested and recipes for peach cobbler to name a few. This one just said KB getting a lot out of his workouts with Williams. What more is there to report? Why is there a need to get every morsel of information spoon fed?
Sorry, but I just didn't see the need for anything linked on this one. It reminds me of how lazy people have become.....usually in the amount of time it takes to hit "reply" and type "link please" and then wait for a response, they could find the info they are looking for in just a few quick clicks and words in google search. But no, it's easier to just attack someone on a message board.

Respectfully or not, you didn't answer the question. I understand certain posts require a link to get more info. Landing a recruit, a player getting arrested and recipes for peach cobbler to name a few. This one just said KB getting a lot out of his workouts with Williams. What more is there to report? Why is there a need to get every morsel of information spoon fed?
Sorry, but I just didn't see the need for anything linked on this one. It reminds me of how lazy people have become.....usually in the amount of time it takes to hit "reply" and type "link please" and then wait for a response, they could find the info they are looking for in just a few quick clicks and words in google search. But no, it's easier to just attack someone on a message board.
Go ahead and defend it if you want, all I'm saying is I've seen countless times on this board where someone posted something, another person asked for a link, and the OP posted a link. It isn't a hard thing to do, just like it isn't a hard thing to google it yourself. It really isn't a big deal either way. Why all the hubbub this time?

Did 4.6.3 need to post a link? Absolutely not. I'm not saying he needs to do this at all. All I am saying is this is what happens MOST of the time.

Is it against board rules to ask for a link? Because people ask all the time, and more often than not it doesn't blow up into what we have now. In fact, I would say it never has...

Go ahead and defend it if you want, all I'm saying is I've seen countless times on this board where someone posted something, another person asked for a link, and the OP posted a link. It isn't a hard thing to do, just like it isn't a hard thing to google it yourself. It really isn't a big deal either way. Why all the hubbub this time?

Did 4.6.3 need to post a link? Absolutely not. I'm not saying he needs to do this at all. All I am saying is this is what happens MOST of the time.

Is it against board rules to ask for a link? Because people ask all the time, and more often than not it doesn't blow up into what we have now. In fact, I would say it never has...
So you are saying only certain people can ask for a link? Or just the ones that have not hurt your precious feelings in the past is more likely. I absolutely love that a handfull of whiners lets me effect them that much with sarcasm and pestering.

Fk this. Can't even share a Beatles video? Good Lord..

Last edited:
So you are saying only certain people can ask for a link? Or just the ones that have not hurt your precious feelings in the past is more likely. I absolutely love that a handfull of whiners lets me effect them that much with sarcasm and pestering.
I'm not sure I follow you. I would have posted the same thing above if it came from Sparky, rrthusker or anybody else.

We've had our differences in the past, no doubt. We don't agree on everything... That being said, there is quite a bit that I have liked from you as well. Go back and look at your likes if you don't believe me...

I've had my opinions, reasons for those opinions and been able to support them. Didn't work out in the end. That's life and I lose no pride over it. I haven't once said since the Wisconsin game that I still wanted Bo to coach football at the University of Nebraska so this "Bo Love" that you continuously push isn't accurate.

I made the decision months ago to put better effort into treating interactions on the board as I would interactions with anyone I come across in person. Would it hurt you to do the same? The current level of petulance is for a lack of a better phrasing is Bo-Esque.

This. I'm guessing there are some that don't post links because they want others to believe they have some special knowledge or connections, when in fact, they may not. Let's turn two!
Or they were on mobile and simply didn't think there was a need. This is so awesome. A bunch of grown-ass men have their panties in a twist about internet sports board "common courtesy".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my opinions, reasons for those opinions and been able to support them. Didn't work out in the end. That's life and I lose no pride over it. I haven't once said since the Wisconsin game that I still wanted Bo to coach football at the University of Nebraska so this "Bo Love" that you continuously push isn't accurate.

I made the decision months ago to put better effort into treating interactions on the board as I would interactions with anyone I come across in person. Would it hurt you to do the same? The current level of petulance is for a lack of a better phrasing is Bo-Esque.
And yet you still felt the need to chime in again and again about a link. Seriously. It's o.k. man, that cross is heavy. I would help you carry it before you nail yourself onto it.

I'm not sure I follow you. I would have posted the same thing above if it came from Sparky, rrthusker or anybody else.

We've had our differences in the past, no doubt. We don't agree on everything... That being said, there is quite a bit that I have liked from you as well. Go back and look at your likes if you don't believe me...
Internet likes are what I live for, thanks buddy. It means alot.

This. I'm guessing there are some that don't post links because they want others to believe they have some special knowledge or connections, when in fact, they may not. Let's turn two!
I would compare it to a few posters jumping in threads to add their opinion on a poster, when there are direct messages available. It screams "I am an insecure bitch who needs to jump in and get random approval from other random internet whiny bitches"

Well, I declare! If nobody scored any points on that point system we have pinned at the top of the board in the this tread, I simply do not profess to imagine what it could be for!

Reactions: puddinhead0404
Wow 4.6.3, some people must have really gotten under your skin... Is that why you couldn't sleep last night? Had to post 4 times since 4:30, with one of them being at 6:30 when still no one responded? Got your panties in a twist?

I for one, after my last post, slept soundly. It felt good, and made me smile to wake up and see 4 whiny little bitch posts from none other than 4.6.3... Guess some people got inside that little head of yours?

You really shouldn't take it so personally. It's amusing to me that you do though. I wish you could see yourself... It is really quite funny. Knowing how you delight in others' hupersensitivity, I think you would appreciate it if you could just see it.

Ok, I'm prepared... Let me have it. What wonderfully creative name calling you gonna throw my way now? I'm smiling just thinking about it. RollingLaugh

What am I defending? We are in agreement that links are helpful when there is something more than what is written in a post. Here's what 463 posted:

"Sounds like KB is getting good things Out of his workouts with Keith Williams these last couple days. Good for both parties."

Here's the tweet from KB that he saw:
coach Williams (@wideouts) is the truth. BURIED me w/ the workout 2day, but damnit we got better 2day. Appreciate the work boss man!#SALUTE

Tell me exactly why a link was needed for that? Don't go into board etiquette or common courtesy....there was nothing more in the tweet that could give you anything of substance.

And the real funny thing is that there is now an article written (probably because of the tweet) and it was posted here and of course becomes a bash KB for his past tweets post....BY YOU!

You can't make this stuff up.

And yet you still felt the need to chime in again and again about a link. Seriously. It's o.k. man, that cross is heavy. I would help you carry it before you nail yourself onto it.

You're kidding right? Go back and look at your comments for the last several days and then tell me who is keeping this subject alive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT