ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Iowa Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
If you're one of those Iowa fans who acts like a normal human and doesn't have a burning little brother complex about Nebraska, by all means, skip this post. We like some of you. Come and tailgate with us and we can get along as people.

But there are others of you, and those others taught me to take Iowa out of the realm of "teams I don't care about" to "teams I cheer against in every game they play." Those are the tools who call into Nebraska radio shows, the knobs who show up here, the douches on social media. Probably from Western Iowa in most cases, very often living in Nebraska. You tools are the reason it made me deeply happy to see Iowa get its soul shoved out its mouth from the sheer force of that MSU boot up its back end on the final drive.

I can't decide which would have been more delicious, to watch a bad NU team ruin the whole thing for you last week, or the way it played out. Given that you'd still have gone to Indy, and a loss last week might have been motivating and calming in a way, this might be even better.

It was amazing. I drink in your sadeness like a cold beer after toiling outside on a 95 degree day. It is at once refreshing and intoxicating. You got your hopes up as high as they could possibly go without actually winning anything of substance. It's so perfect. It's so Iowa.

If they had won and made the playoff, that's something to hang your hat on. You could have waived that "we made the playoff and you didn't" flag for a long, long time the way things look in Lincoln. A conference title, now there's something you can point to. A playoff berth, it's what all the teams dream of.

But instead, you got to the first game that would have yielded a trophy for that barren case, you got to have the lead, and on the last MSU drive you watched it vanish one brutal power run at a time. It was poetry. It was this:

lucy-football.jpg

You can now move on to a bowl game that for the rest of the country will be roughly as big a viewing priority as Nebraska's 5-7 appearance in some bowl that shouldn't exist. "Not a playoff game? Yeah...don't care then. Let me know when the Alabama game is on." We can officially stop calling the Rose Bowl "The Granddaddy of them All" and start calling it "Not the Playoff." That way the nickname can wear in a little bit before the playoff expands to eight teams and bowl games sink deeper into the realm of the sad and outdated.

And who better to appear the first time it's called "Not the Playoffs" than Iowa, the team that seems doomed for all eternity to make mountains out of its molehill accomplishments. And before you all whip up your "rather be 11-1 than 5-7" responses, let me remind you of something. It's true that Nebraska is a long way from relevant, but at least there are Nebraska fans walking the earth who can remember when it was. When it comes to the history and lore of college football, we have been blue bloods. You've just peaked at blue balls.

So on this Sunday morning after your loss, may your coffee be as bitter as that defeat, and remember, we were content to leave you alone. You came looking for us, like the young guy in the small town bar who has a couple too many and decides he wants the toughest guy in town to step outside. You wanted this fight, and now you get to be reminded...you still have not arrived.

Happy Holidays!

Love,

Beav

Enjoyed your post, but it is just another example of why this is going to become a rivalry game in our new conference.

Rose bowl game even if it is not part of the playoffs will still be one of the top bowl games that people will tune into.And is still the grand daddy of them all because it has the most history.

Last edited:
as long as we are all clear that if Nebraska has a mirror season to this years Iowa it really doesn't mean crap and the players and coaches should get nothing more than a polite golf clap

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Iowa had a year we haven't had in a long time, I have no problem giving them props here.

Completely agree.

Very few schools have a history that rivals ours, however, it becomes tiresome when we are continually using our past to shit on the present accomplishments of others.

I wish other programs would produce long diatribes about how they are pleased that we lost a play in game for the national championship playoff series.

The retorts about how we were really good 2 decades ago because we really have nothing recent to tout are low class

Wow Beav! You have my vote for post of the year!

For the last 50 years the Iowa fans I've known in Omaha lived vicariously through first Oklahoma, then Miami, then FSU, and finally Texas. Always reveling in any of these teams success against Nebraska, sometimes even buying the gear of these teams. Their pure hatred of Nebraska football knew no bounds.

So now, according to some you Husker fans, I'm supposed to respect Iowa's accomplishments...I think instead I'll respect Sparty's accomplishments and revel in the mass disappointment settling over the bleak State of Iowa this morning.

Reactions: BuddyBoo
If you're one of those Iowa fans who acts like a normal human and doesn't have a burning little brother complex about Nebraska, by all means, skip this post. We like some of you. Come and tailgate with us and we can get along as people.

But there are others of you, and those others taught me to take Iowa out of the realm of "teams I don't care about" to "teams I cheer against in every game they play." Those are the tools who call into Nebraska radio shows, the knobs who show up here, the douches on social media. Probably from Western Iowa in most cases, very often living in Nebraska. You tools are the reason it made me deeply happy to see Iowa get its soul shoved out its mouth from the sheer force of that MSU boot up its back end on the final drive.

I can't decide which would have been more delicious, to watch a bad NU team ruin the whole thing for you last week, or the way it played out. Given that you'd still have gone to Indy, and a loss last week might have been motivating and calming in a way, this might be even better.

It was amazing. I drink in your sadeness like a cold beer after toiling outside on a 95 degree day. It is at once refreshing and intoxicating. You got your hopes up as high as they could possibly go without actually winning anything of substance. It's so perfect. It's so Iowa.

If they had won and made the playoff, that's something to hang your hat on. You could have waived that "we made the playoff and you didn't" flag for a long, long time the way things look in Lincoln. A conference title, now there's something you can point to. A playoff berth, it's what all the teams dream of.

But instead, you got to the first game that would have yielded a trophy for that barren case, you got to have the lead, and on the last MSU drive you watched it vanish one brutal power run at a time. It was poetry. It was this:

lucy-football.jpg

You can now move on to a bowl game that for the rest of the country will be roughly as big a viewing priority as Nebraska's 5-7 appearance in some bowl that shouldn't exist. "Not a playoff game? Yeah...don't care then. Let me know when the Alabama game is on." We can officially stop calling the Rose Bowl "The Granddaddy of them All" and start calling it "Not the Playoff." That way the nickname can wear in a little bit before the playoff expands to eight teams and bowl games sink deeper into the realm of the sad and outdated.

And who better to appear the first time it's called "Not the Playoffs" than Iowa, the team that seems doomed for all eternity to make mountains out of its molehill accomplishments. And before you all whip up your "rather be 11-1 than 5-7" responses, let me remind you of something. It's true that Nebraska is a long way from relevant, but at least there are Nebraska fans walking the earth who can remember when it was. When it comes to the history and lore of college football, we have been blue bloods. You've just peaked at blue balls.

So on this Sunday morning after your loss, may your coffee be as bitter as that defeat, and remember, we were content to leave you alone. You came looking for us, like the young guy in the small town bar who has a couple too many and decides he wants the toughest guy in town to step outside. You wanted this fight, and now you get to be reminded...you still have not arrived.

Happy Holidays!

Love,

Beav

I hate to be the one to tell you, but Iowa is not a little brother to Nebraska. You have got to reconcile that with yourself that you are no longer a power. Too bad, but memories are nice.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
The human condition being what it is we always have to feel superior to someone else but surprise the other guy feels the same way.Never have lived in Omaha rarely visited but the supposed animosity is a regional thing. In the north of Iowa they hate Mn and Wis in the east it is Ill and OSU . Sorry but it is hard to earn everyone's animosity. By the way in Wis TROLLS are good luck so this header must be a compliment

The human condition being what it is we always have to feel superior to someone else but surprise the other guy feels the same way.Never have lived in Omaha rarely visited but the supposed animosity is a regional thing. In the north of Iowa they hate Mn and Wis in the east it is Ill and OSU . Sorry but it is hard to earn everyone's animosity. By the way in Wis TROLLS are good luck so this header must be a compliment

I have similar thoughts and have posted as such. If I could watch ONE and only one game next year, I would not choose the Iowa game. In fact the Iowa game is pretty far down on my list of "must see" games.

Beav, I LOVE the fact that Iowa is SOOOOO under your skin, so stuck in your craw, so relevant to you, that you feel the need to post your Waaa, Waaaa so-sorry, far-too-long, far-too-caring drivel. You are exactly where you need to be...

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I have similar thoughts and have posted as such. If I could watch ONE and only one game next year, I would not choose the Iowa game. In fact the Iowa game is pretty far down on my list of "must see" games.
Agreed from a Hawk fan. The UNL game was big just because of what was on the line, but it would have been an important game trying to end the season undefeated against an even worse team like Purdue or Maryland. It was circumstantially important, but UNL is just another team to this Hawk fan.

Agreed from a Hawk fan. The UNL game was big just because of what was on the line, but it would have been an important game trying to end the season undefeated against an even worse team like Purdue or Maryland. It was circumstantially important, but UNL is just another team to this Hawk fan.
And yet here you are.

Reactions: c2o and jteten
It is "peeked", not peaked, and I respect what Iowa did this year, and find your post most derogatory.

For a writer you should not use spell check, and have a real proofreader.

Otherwise just rubbish, sorry.

It will take years for many Iowa fans to grow up. Sure will be fun watching them try to get there.

lucy-football.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Love,

Beav

It is clear you care a great deal about the Hawks by the novel(with illustrations) you penned.

We feel the love.

Nebraska hasn't done anything significant in over a decade, where Iowa has been to 3 Big Bowl Games (2 Orange Bowls and now a Rose bowl). What is this little brother talk? I've been around the country, and NO ONE talks about Nebraska football....ever. It's been about 20 years since your last national championship, when do we reach the time when we no longer talk about it, 20,30,40 years? That 1984 BYU cougars were one hell of a team don't you remember!!? No, because after so long it becomes irrelevant. It's sad your only joy is from other teams losing, and not your own team winning. Because you haven't won anything, in a long, long, time.

Reactions: Hawkeye Talk Tar
It is "peeked", not peaked, and I respect what Iowa did this year, and find your post most derogatory.

For a writer you should not use spell check, and have a real proofreader.

Otherwise just rubbish, sorry.
No, professor, it's not "peeked." Nor would spellcheck catch a correctly-spelled homophone even if it were. Peak, as in, highest point. Apex. Pinnacle. Better luck next time. SOLID suggestion that I get a proofreader to go over my internet posts on a free message board. That would be money well spent!

Here's a couple of free tips: It's not "on a role" it's "on a roll." It's not "his roll on the team" it's "his role on the team." It's not "take for granite" it's "take for granted."

Completely agree.

Very few schools have a history that rivals ours, however, it becomes tiresome when we are continually using our past to shit on the present accomplishments of others.

I wish other programs would produce long diatribes about how they are pleased that we lost a play in game for the national championship playoff series.

The retorts about how we were really good 2 decades ago because we really have nothing recent to tout are low class
Why? It's the what have you done lately crowd that pisses me off! We won 5 national titles, and we deserve the right to still talk about them.

jlb321, Babe Ruth and the Yankees haven't done s*** for many years now, but are we not suppose to respect what they have done in the past?

Past accomplishments are just as good as present ones. You know why? It's because it was accomplished and those 5 teams busted their asses to get them! You can get tired of it all you want, but it isn't going away!

Yes we are irrelevant at the moment. We may have lost the game to Iowa this year, but I despise the Iowa fan that can't shut their mouths and be respectful. They have never won anything that matters, and Beav just wanted to make sure they know that!

***To the Iowa fan that respects us, I feel sorry for you guys. That was a tough loss, and you guys had a hell of a season.

Edit: After reading most of your posts jlb321, I'm pretty solid that you are not an actual Nebraska fan, but a troll. I'm amazed at how negative you can be for a team that you actually root for! You can dislike a coach... you can dislike a AD... you can dislike Perlman... but the hate you put on Nebraska proves to me your not a Nebraska fan, but a hater to the fullest degree.

Last edited:
Nebraska hasn't done anything significant in over a decade, where Iowa has been to 3 Big Bowl Games (2 Orange Bowls and now a Rose bowl). What is this little brother talk? I've been around the country, and NO ONE talks about Nebraska football....ever. It's been about 20 years since your last national championship, when do we reach the time when we no longer talk about it, 20,30,40 years? That 1984 BYU cougars were one hell of a team don't you remember!!? No, because after so long it becomes irrelevant. It's sad your only joy is from other teams losing, and not your own team winning. Because you haven't won anything, in a long, long, time.

Does playing in 3 conference championship games in the last 7 years count for anything (even if we got destroyed in one of them)? If not, then ok we haven't. Playing in and losing conference championship games do count for something. Unless you couldn't brag about the 2 shared big ten titles in which you were gifted a BCS bowl.

You Hawks fans are hilarious. 1 year of success and you spout off. Well according to recent history you next 5 to 6 years are going to be very mediocre. Have fun with that. Can't wait to hear from you again then.

Hawkeye fan here. Grew up in western Iowa, close to the border. Have no real hard feelings towards Nebraska's football program whatsoever. Wish Iowa's program could become what Nebraska's used to be; a constant national power. Deep down, already know it's probably never going to happen. That Nebraska run from 1962-2001 was the best 40 years ever by a program, was it not?

The OP obviously has a lot of anger towards Iowa right now, hoping they lose whenever possible. This post discusses where that anger comes from. Do you say the same thing about Virginia, for example? I'm guessing you don't.

Why do you think western Iowa-located, Iowa Hawkeye fans, are enjoying this rare opportunity to give it to some Nebraska fans/neighbors this year? The reason is because........sorry to sound elementary school here....you started it!!:)

For decades, Nebraska competed for national championships and conference championships while Iowa rarely saw a winning season. Over that time, Nebraska fans cherished their dominance and bragged about their winning, while the Iowa fan didn't have anything to brag about at all....the program wasn't any good. Iowa fans got sick and tired...and jealous...of hearing every Fall how great Nebraska was and how bad Iowa was. Their closest "local" newspaper and news station reminded them of that every day, all year long....and rightfully so. Those western Iowa Hawkeye fans envied what Nebraska and Tom Osborne were doing. They didn't enjoy the bragging (and 100% deservedly so by Husker fans) that Nebraska fans were employing.

So when a season like this comes along and Iowa has the goods (the record, the ranking, the head-to-head victory, the fact that the almighty Huskers can't find a quarterback:)), they are chomping at the bit to give it back to some Husker fans, who gave it to them decade after decade.

Nebraska's fans reaction in 2002 when Nebraska had a disastrous season and Iowa got big-time national attention? The anger from the husker fanbase towards Iowa was next to nothing. Why no anger then, but a ton now? It was one year and they didn't even play each other. But as the last decade or so has wore on and Iowa finds itself in just a few more major bowl games and receiving more national spotlight than Nebraska, the anger amongst Nebraska fans is growing....not so much with Iowa, but their own program. Husker fans are understandably frustrated and looking for someone to take it out on. Insert Hawkeye fans. Combine that with the fact that Nebraska had to join our conference, which allows the two teams to play each other every year, and now the feelings and emotions are starting to get hotter, especially when Iowa fans finally have something to brag about.

Having lived in west Omaha for the last 10 years, I can assure you there are more Iowa fans living around here now than ever before. In 2009, I was looking for people to celebrate with, but found just a few. Now? About one out of every ten houses in West Omaha seems to be sporting an Iowa flag on Saturday. If I was a native Nebraskan who cheered for Big Red my whole life, I would be pissed, too! It's invasion of the land! It's just another factor adding fuel to the fire.

So with everything considered, someone needs to explain to me how Iowa's 12-1 Rose Bowl season could be looked at with zero respect from some of your fans. I mean, the arguments some of you are trying to come up with are about as stupid as the Iowa fans saying the only reason Tom Osborne ever won a national championship was because he let the rapists and murderers play ball, even though he knew the whole time what was going on behind the scenes. It's a dumb argument. It's doing anything possible to try and drag the other program down, instead of acknowledging their success.

For example, I'm a Yankees fan. But I didn't look at what the Royals did in 2014, losing the World Series and say, "Big deal. They didn't even win it! Talk to me when you get a few rings Royals fans." And this past year, I didn't say anything again such as, "Oh, you play in the AL Central and could rest your players the last month" or "Congrats on your second world championship. Now you're only 25 behind us." I congratulated Royals fans, because I know what's it's like to have the team you root for win the World Series. The Royals and their fans deserve to be happy, while the Yankee fans deserve to be disappointed. But for a Yankee fan to say, "I hope the Royals lose, just so I don't have to listen to their fans"? That Yankee fan would have to look in the mirror and realize that the past is just that.....the past. It's over. Tip the cap to them, because right now, they're better.

Now imagine that Yankee fan said, "When your team wins four in five years like we did from 1996-2000, then come talk to me." A comment like that would be beyond pathetic. Unfortunately, it's what a large portion of your fanbase is saying right now. When I said last week, "I hope the Hawks can pull it off", I was greeted by Husker coworkers with, "Oh, you're playing for the conference championship? Congratulations! Talk to me when you play for the national championship. Then I'll respect your program."

It's a lack of respect shown by both parties to both sides.

PS> I hope you smack UCLA around and represent the conference well.

THE HERMENATOR

Reactions: leodisflowers
Hawkeye fan here. Grew up in western Iowa, close to the border. Have no real hard feelings towards Nebraska's football program whatsoever. Wish Iowa's program could become what Nebraska's used to be; a constant national power. Deep down, already know it's probably never going to happen. That Nebraska run from 1962-2001 was the best 40 years ever by a program, was it not?

The OP obviously has a lot of anger towards Iowa right now, hoping they lose whenever possible. This post discusses where that anger comes from. Do you say the same thing about Virginia, for example? I'm guessing you don't.

Why do you think western Iowa-located, Iowa Hawkeye fans, are enjoying this rare opportunity to give it to some Nebraska fans/neighbors this year? The reason is because........sorry to sound elementary school here....you started it!!:)

For decades, Nebraska competed for national championships and conference championships while Iowa rarely saw a winning season. Over that time, Nebraska fans cherished their dominance and bragged about their winning, while the Iowa fan didn't have anything to brag about at all....the program wasn't any good. Iowa fans got sick and tired...and jealous...of hearing every Fall how great Nebraska was and how bad Iowa was. Their closest "local" newspaper and news station reminded them of that every day, all year long....and rightfully so. Those western Iowa Hawkeye fans envied what Nebraska and Tom Osborne were doing. They didn't enjoy the bragging (and 100% deservedly so by Husker fans) that Nebraska fans were employing.

So when a season like this comes along and Iowa has the goods (the record, the ranking, the head-to-head victory, the fact that the almighty Huskers can't find a quarterback:)), they are chomping at the bit to give it back to some Husker fans, who gave it to them decade after decade.

Nebraska's fans reaction in 2002 when Nebraska had a disastrous season and Iowa got big-time national attention? The anger from the husker fanbase towards Iowa was next to nothing. Why no anger then, but a ton now? It was one year and they didn't even play each other. But as the last decade or so has wore on and Iowa finds itself in just a few more major bowl games and receiving more national spotlight than Nebraska, the anger amongst Nebraska fans is growing....not so much with Iowa, but their own program. Husker fans are understandably frustrated and looking for someone to take it out on. Insert Hawkeye fans. Combine that with the fact that Nebraska had to join our conference, which allows the two teams to play each other every year, and now the feelings and emotions are starting to get hotter, especially when Iowa fans finally have something to brag about.

Having lived in west Omaha for the last 10 years, I can assure you there are more Iowa fans living around here now than ever before. In 2009, I was looking for people to celebrate with, but found just a few. Now? About one out of every ten houses in West Omaha seems to be sporting an Iowa flag on Saturday. If I was a native Nebraskan who cheered for Big Red my whole life, I would be pissed, too! It's invasion of the land! It's just another factor adding fuel to the fire.

So with everything considered, someone needs to explain to me how Iowa's 12-1 Rose Bowl season could be looked at with zero respect from some of your fans. I mean, the arguments some of you are trying to come up with are about as stupid as the Iowa fans saying the only reason Tom Osborne ever won a national championship was because he let the rapists and murderers play ball, even though he knew the whole time what was going on behind the scenes. It's a dumb argument. It's doing anything possible to try and drag the other program down, instead of acknowledging their success.

For example, I'm a Yankees fan. But I didn't look at what the Royals did in 2014, losing the World Series and say, "Big deal. They didn't even win it! Talk to me when you get a few rings Royals fans." And this past year, I didn't say anything again such as, "Oh, you play in the AL Central and could rest your players the last month" or "Congrats on your second world championship. Now you're only 25 behind us." I congratulated Royals fans, because I know what's it's like to have the team you root for win the World Series. The Royals and their fans deserve to be happy, while the Yankee fans deserve to be disappointed. But for a Yankee fan to say, "I hope the Royals lose, just so I don't have to listen to their fans"? That Yankee fan would have to look in the mirror and realize that the past is just that.....the past. It's over. Tip the cap to them, because right now, they're better.

Now imagine that Yankee fan said, "When your team wins four in five years like we did from 1996-2000, then come talk to me." A comment like that would be beyond pathetic. Unfortunately, it's what a large portion of your fanbase is saying right now. When I said last week, "I hope the Hawks can pull it off", I was greeted by Husker coworkers with, "Oh, you're playing for the conference championship? Congratulations! Talk to me when you play for the national championship. Then I'll respect your program."

It's a lack of respect shown by both parties to both sides.

PS> I hope you smack UCLA around and represent the conference well.

THE HERMENATOR

Ironically, I didn't read all of this because it's long, but I think you're correct about the Western Iowa thing of some of those fans being obnoxious because of them growing up in NU's shadow.

Most of my experience with Iowa fans is from this board, and they were over here being annoying when NU wasn't even in the Big 10. Just went clear out of their way to come find some Nebraska fans to yap at. And so, I now enjoy returning the favor.

I have some other friends who are Iowa fans who are perfectly enjoyable human beings. One friend, in fact, was the fan they showed on TV with his hands on his head during the timeout right before MSU scored.

Beav, I sincerely hope you post a similar diatribe if Nebrasketball is able to beat the Jays on Wednesday. That would be a good read.

LMFAO. I come over to ask you guys about the UCLA game and see nothing but Iowa on the mind of a few butt hurt Nebraska fans. This is too good.

Beav, I sincerely hope you post a similar diatribe if Nebrasketball is able to beat the Jays on Wednesday. That would be a good read.
I never got into the hoops rivalry really. IMO that one is a private school v public school pissing match trying to masquerade as a sports rivalry.

LMFAO. I come over to ask you guys about the UCLA game and see nothing but Iowa on the mind of a few butt hurt Nebraska fans. This is too good.
Yeah, back to your standard playbook of your only joy coming from trolling NU fans. Maybe if you guys can make the CCG next year you'll have as many of those crappy division winner trophies as we do. Then you'll be livin' high on the hog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT