ADVERTISEMENT

Covid19 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the only reason IMO that this is worse than seasonal flu is that we don't have a vaccine to protect the must vulnerable people. THAT is why it is 10x more lethal than influenza. With a vaccine this would only be moderately more severe than seasonal flu assuming some idiots still refused to get vaccinated. In my experience, mammalian Corona virus vaccines are much more effective than influenza vaccines.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and jlb321
When did we first know about it. What did we know when we first knew. How accurate was the information? How would you have handled that initial notification of the virus (versus what specifically was done). How did the administration prohibit local testing abilities? What were the local people going to do that the administration prevented from happening?
Read the NY Times article on why testing was limited. It wasn't some Presidential decree. It was entrenched policy and bureaucrats at the CDC and FDA. Our bureaucracy moves slowly.

By taking this as a potentially serious problem since before XMAS. And not stepping on local and states abilities to implement testing procedures when it was clear that it was to be a problem.
I don't believe that the CDC had any hint that this was going to be a problem before Christmas. There was no way to predict this at that point IMO. From what I've read we were trying in early January to get information from China and they were refusing to share anything and were denying there was a problem.

I laugh at the arrogance of mankind. We tend to think that we have all the answers, and to make this political is, in my opinion, extremely short sighted. If this is one of those events in time that will be historic, it would’ve had its way with us regardless. We don’t have all the answers and never will.
I do not believe for one minute that there was anything any government could have done to prevent this from happening. Maybe we could have slowed it down IF we had completely shut down cruise and airline traffic in January, but it was here almost as soon as it became a problem in Wuhan. It was just a matter of time before it reached a critical mass of infections. Now the question is what can we do to try to slow it down to buy us time to maybe keep enough healthcare professionals healthy to care for the sick. A vaccine appears to be a pipe dream at this point but hopefully we get one by fall.

Read the NY Times article on why testing was limited. It wasn't some Presidential decree. It was entrenched policy and bureaucrats at the CDC and FDA. Our bureaucracy moves slowly.
But a Presidential decree, along with quick action by the Congress, would have sped up this process.

I do not believe for one minute that there was anything any government could have done to prevent this from happening. Maybe we could have slowed it down IF we had completely shut down cruise and airline traffic in January, but it was here almost as soon as it became a problem in Wuhan. It was just a matter of time before it reached a critical mass of infections. Now the question is what can we do to try to slow it down to buy us time to maybe keep enough healthcare professionals healthy to care for the sick. A vaccine appears to be a pipe dream at this point but hopefully we get one by fall.
To prevent it? No. But taking it as a possibility of becoming a serious problem we did not do.

But a Presidential decree, along with quick action by the Congress, would have sped up this process.
It would have BUT they didn't know it was a problem. Even the Democrats weren't screaming about the testing lag until it was already in the process of being addressed. Face it, this caught the CDC with their pants down. They're too worried about tetracyclene causing antibiotic resistance in humans via cooked meat. :mad:

Somebody who won't be named here because sum people lose thier mables when they see it, tried to limit travel to and from China weeks ago and was called a racist and news networks said it was an over reaction and would backfire...weird how everyone ignores that and how well their hindsight works now....I wonder, and i'm just thinking outloud here...that it isn't a right or left thing at all and nothing would be any different if somebody else was the head honcho.

Last edited:
When did we first know about it. What did we know when we first knew. How accurate was the information? How would you have handled that initial notification of the virus (versus what specifically was done). How did the administration prohibit local testing abilities? What were the local people going to do that the administration prevented from happening?

Bump for inWV and Dudz. WV, is the extent of your response that the President should have initiated a Decree earlier, and THAT’s what stopped local’s from getting out in front of this better? Is there any possible way for you to know what exactly what information was given to the administration, and when?

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but in this case and at this time, it seems more like 50/40, and yet plenty of people are ready to scream from the mountaintops how badly it was screwed up, without having much true and accurate information on it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
This interview will lay out what we as a nation did wrong, including what the Trump administration DID NOT DO and is consistently MIS-STATING about this epidemic:

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Listen to this interview and most of the questions being asked right now will be answered.

We are far behind because we experienced a series of planning failures and missed opportunities to produce tests, plan for the outbreak, and get on top of this emergency.

The markets are reacting to how disruptive the virus is overall, but are not being helped by America's bumbling-ass responses to this crisis.

This interview brings up South Korea, how in the past 24 hours they have done more tests for coronavirus than we have in the last TWO MONTHS. I brought this up earlier.

Is there any chance we see every school in the country closed for a mandatory 2 weeks?

Is there any chance we see every school in the country closed for a mandatory 2 weeks?

Good question. That would require a much more coordinated response than we've thus far seen. I saw yesterday a lot of major universities are closing down for a week or two. Michigan and Ohio State I think were mentioned. I'm wondering if UNL will?

Lots of infected could be asymptomatic. If there is a large contingency of unaccounted infected, one could assume this skews the death rate percentage. Once we can cheaply, and readily test for the virus, we will likely see a death rate similar to the flu.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Lots of infected could be asymptomatic. If there is a large contingency of unaccounted infected, one could assume this skews the death rate percentage. Once we can cheaply, and readily test for the virus, we will likely see a death rate similar to the flu.

Actually, to be more specific, the vast majority of numbers we have come from Wuhan, China, where a ton of people smoke and a lot of older people got infected. So, yes, the death rate right now as an aggregate is exponentially more than annual flu, but it may go down. We hope.

I watched people come unglued weeks ago when very minor suggestions were floated trying to combat this, and now I'm seeing people claim we should have dun more. Gawd I love agenda driven people with perfect hindsight.

Actually, to be more specific, the vast majority of numbers we have come from Wuhan, China, where a ton of people smoke and a lot of older people got infected. So, yes, the death rate right now as an aggregate is exponentially more than annual flu, but it may go down. We hope.
Death rates from disease in the U.S are not the same as in China. Selfishly, my immediate risk is of highest concern to me.

Want to get really paranoid? Is this the lynch pin the government uses to take more control? No longer aloud to gather in large groups for your safety? Food and water will be rationed for your safety? Mandatory curfew for your safety? Yeah now we are going to need to take all the guns for your safety.
I know, it won't happen but this is the type of stuff you see in movies where one event leads to a cascade of "safety measure" by the government before you know it you are the frog, to late to get out of the boiling water. lol

Ohio just closed all schools for 3 weeks after tomorrow. Also banned most non-work gatherings of 100 or more people.

Good question. That would require a much more coordinated response than we've thus far seen. I saw yesterday a lot of major universities are closing down for a week or two. Michigan and Ohio State I think were mentioned. I'm wondering if UNL will?

This needs to be a state wide thing not city wide. Every state needs to do it at once.

Of course we could have slowed this down. I don't know the role the President played but...we have very poor relations with South Korea, a country that has the most effective testing procedures, and these poor relations are driven solely by the president. The CDC decided on their own testing procedures when the rest of the world had been testing for months. Again, better relations with the nations involved likely leads to more open dialogue and more investment and likely more sharing of technology. We could have had drive up testing two weeks ago. The "America against the world" is going to bite us in the butt because we aren't the leaders in science and technology, we are the big spenders in science and technology. And we rely on other countries to provide us with science and technology. Can we replace the antibiotics that no longer come from India(a place we actually have good relations), Why do we have to remake a testing procedure that is proven effective in a supposed allied nation? Will we even listen to advice from SK in terms of the use of zinc and chloroquine. I find it interesting that a global pandemic is just leading to more isolation instead of unifying resources. I think this is where a more "global" president would be more successful.

Has anyone seen the videos of people in China spitting and sneezing on elevator buttons? Pretty messed up.

Im I seeing this right the death rate in Italy is currently at 6%.
Oldest population so far to be hit. In fact the 2nd oldest population in the world. The data has been clear...if you are older than 70 you have a 10-15% chance to die regardless of treatment, but you take a long time to die and need intubation, anesthesia, constant monitoring of lungs and oxygen levels. The federal government should be scrambling right now to stockpile and produce as many respirators as possible...help states come up with quarantine and treatment plans that get people out of the ICU at hospitals and create a set of protocols to follow for each a patient that has ARDS. Being able to move equipment around to the hotspots will save lives as this thing won't hit everywhere at once. I mean Nebraska was hit 6 months after the east coast during the Spanish flu.

Bump for inWV and Dudz. WV, is the extent of your response that the President should have initiated a Decree earlier, and THAT’s what stopped local’s from getting out in front of this better? Is there any possible way for you to know what exactly what information was given to the administration, and when?

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but in this case and at this time, it seems more like 50/40, and yet plenty of people are ready to scream from the mountaintops how badly it was screwed up, without having much true and accurate information on it.
We have an analog in China and South Korea. South Korea is a culturally similar nation, with similar freedoms and a very similar economy and they are going to squash this thing just as it gets bad here. They had drive up testing as we were just mailing tests to doctors. The doctors at the hotspots couldn't test everyone for two weeks. I actually could not in my wildest dreams imagine how a president who has disdain for the scientific method, medicine, and science overall could actually lead an appropriate response. President Trump has certain qualities that work well in the oval office...but he is going to be a disaster dealing with any crisis that involves science and medicine. It isn't his fault but all of us who allowed him to become supreme leader. Republicans and Democrats are all responsible.

Somebody who won't be named here because sum people lose thier mables when they see it, tried to limit travel to and from China weeks ago and was called a racist and news networks said it was an over reaction and would backfire...weird how everyone ignores that and how well their hindsight works now....I wonder, and i'm just thinking outloud here...that it isn't a right or left thing at all and nothing would be any different if somebody else was the head honcho.
I don't know if any thing would be different if the head honcho was someone else. However, I am sure that:

1) Another head honcho wouldn't have been calling it a hoax.

2) Another head honcho wouldn't be telling people 2 weeks ago that people will get over it by sitting around, and maybe by even going to work.

3) Another head honcho wouldn't have been telling us, flanked by CDC doctors, that the testing kits and their distribution was almost perfect...but not as perfect as a certain phone call to a former Soviet republic, or as perfect as the transcript of that call.

BTW-- To me, a perfect phone call is dialing/pressing all the right numbers on the first attempt.

Reactions: inWV
I don't know if any thing would be different if the head honcho was someone else. However, I am sure that:

2) Another head honcho wouldn't be telling people 2 weeks ago that people will get over it by sitting around, and maybe by even going to work.

3) Another head honcho wouldn't have been telling us, flanked by CDC doctors, that the testing kits and their distribution was almost perfect...but not as perfect as a certain phone call to a former Soviet republic, or as perfect as the transcript of that call.

BTW-- To me, a perfect phone call is dialing/pressing all the right numbers on the first attempt.

You don't KNOW any of this. It's just your opinion.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
What could you do with the information we had? Hell most people that I talk to are still in denial and ignoring the threat. I know WAY too many 80 year olds who are going on as if nothing has changed.
And that is why we staff professionals in the key govt agencies. If anything positive comes from this ordeal, it will be that experienced hands are valuable and not to be chased from agencies. Spoke with a friend from GWU last night who has done a fair bit of field work in China over the years. He said there are other viruses stacked up over there waiting for a break out. So maybe we should get our shit together.
We have an older lady who is our assistant to the college Dean. We finally got her to go home. Old people that don't listen to advice increase the chance that their grand kids get to go to a funeral in the next few weeks.
A govt response to a viral threat has to exceed what the average citizen thinks they have to do.

Gonna just assume you never liked the guy, had zero intention of pulling the lever for him come Nov. and nothing that has, or would have happened, was going to change your mind so at the end of the day, nothing has changed. You were always gonna moan and go in another direction and aren't even remotely objective about this. Sum people just hate everything he does, and everything he doesn't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT