ADVERTISEMENT

Covid19 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
More people tested leads to more people diagnosed which leads to more layoffs, more quarantines, many more people shuttered/isolated which, in turn, leads to more anxiety, more panic...….. sky is the limit.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
How many pages can we get this one BEFORE SOME KNUCKLEHEAD GETS IT LOCKED?
FIFY. I seem to recall that you were the rabble rouser that started the first Corona virus thread. Seems at least some of my "irrational fears" are coming true with the first nursing home infections. Out of 180 staff members, at least 70 are sick and they're having trouble caring for the 55 patients left in that facility according to news reports. One ER has 30 staff on self quarantine from exposure to one patient also according to a TV news report. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard them say it was in Omaha. At some point I suspect that our ability to care for patients will be severely compromised nationwide due to this virus.

A family member's extended family visiting in Milan Italy was exposed to COVID-19 then was forced to take up residence with their very elderly grandparents. Her cousins have tested positive and are ill. That isn't going to end well. They were visiting from another country which has "socialized medicine" and don't have private health insurance so they are being denied medical care. In that country with "government run" health care only the wealthy are able to afford any type of private health insurance. The rest at best get a very modest level of coverage. She is very worried about her parents, grandparents, aunt and uncle and cousins. It's survival of the fittest for many countries with socialized "medicine". Italy is experiencing now what we very likely will experience in just a couple of weeks. There are a large number of cases now there where people aren't even getting tested anymore because of how ubiquitous the infections have become. I suspect that is why the numbers of new "positive" cases in China have supposedly dropped as well.

Reactions: WHCSC
I drove to California from Omaha last week soaking up all the talk radio I could, it was interesting to say the least...It dominated the west coast, business's were being interviewed, all types of them, and every person interviewed to a man and or woman had a story about how their business had been affected and how devastating they were expecting this to be on their business...and of course some looney in California mentioned she just sponsored a bill trying to make business of all shapes and sizes pay for people to stay home if they think they might have it, like all business's could just absorb that no problem!!! I'm betting if you got that passed, the numbers of people who would self diagnose themselves to have it would sky rocket.

So just like the US?
Not exactly but we're headed that way. There is no doubt that the very wealthy and federal employees in the U.S. for the most part have the best health coverage. Our government subsidized health coverages are better than some of the socialized medicine in parts of Europe for now. Some of the former eastern bloc countries have terrible health care systems. At some point we'll probably get there. The younger generations will become used to it and all of the older generation will have died off so nobody will remember what we had in the U.S. for so many decades. My family member still remembers what living under communism was like. She can't believe what she sees in some of the candidates for President and how so many people could be foolish enough to support them.

I will contribute. I learned all sorts of stuff from the last one.

Here is a suggestion for Bill Moos. He should issue a suggestion to all athletes in Nebraska sports to stop doing handshakes with opposing players before/after games and do fist bumps in instead. Fistbumps transition a tenth of the germs a hand shake does. While there is plenty of contact in the sports themselves it doesn't hurt to mitigate or change some activities/social norms. Verbal "Good Game" works as well.

Also learned something that bears scrutiny. The world bank issued something call pandemic bonds awhile back. These are bonds that can be used in case of a pandemic. The WHO has to declare it a pandemic before they can be used. Soo when do you think these will get put in use?

Last edited:
Not exactly but we're headed that way. There is no doubt that the very wealthy and federal employees in the U.S. for the most part have the best health coverage. Our government subsidized health coverages are better than some of the socialized medicine in parts of Europe for now. Some of the former eastern bloc countries have terrible health care systems. At some point we'll probably get there. The younger generations will become used to it and all of the older generation will have died off so nobody will remember what we had in the U.S. for so many decades. My family member still remembers what living under communism was like. She can't believe what she sees in some of the candidates for President and how so many people could be foolish enough to support them.

Just remember it's not the fault of the ism, it's the failing of those pandering it to recognize that the human factor will destroy the utopian paper outcome. Every. Single. Time.

Reactions: tdierberger
One positive: This board reminds me that annihilation from a virus may not be a bad thing. .A logical health care system is pointless if the populace doesn't care about health. The fact that some many on this board are proud that they only have 15% heart function, or diabetes..when said things are mostly preventable. You all have to know that capitalized medicine only works in a nation of sick people, like America. It would completely collapse in a nation where the populace ate well, exercised, had high level of nutrition, didn't drink or smoke. Socialized medicine works in nations with high levels of nutrition and fitness... it fact it is the only way. The fact that Americans are so proud of their documented chronic sickness, and so proud they get to pay so much on illnesses that are preventable is darkly humorous. We are the same people though who are proud that we destroyed unions so that our children do not have access to the same jobs that we had, and now we get to watch one of them die every 8 minutes from a drug overdose.

I drove to California from Omaha last week soaking up all the talk radio I could, it was interesting to say the least...It dominated the west coast, business's were being interviewed, all types of them, and every person interviewed to a man and or woman had a story about how their business had been affected and how devastating they were expecting this to be on their business...and of course some looney in California mentioned she just sponsored a bill trying to make business of all shapes and sizes pay for people to stay home if they think they might have it, like all business's could just absorb that no problem!!! I'm betting if you got that passed, the numbers of people who would self diagnose themselves to have it would sky rocket.
Just heard that's going to be proposed"possibly" on Wednesday when Pres meets with business leaders. Someone wants the government to pay people to stay home

Just heard that's going to be proposed"possibly" on Wednesday when Pres meets with business leaders. Someone wants the government to pay people to stay home
Lol, that's called paid sick leave... Name me one "business" leader who went broke and ended up on the street because his business failed. A half a million people live on the streets, none of them are former business leaders. The cuckness of this board never fails to amaze me.

Well dingle, I too took the side of this being much ado about nothing as well, looks I was wrong.
Hopefully it warms up quickly and this thing dies out so you can be right. I would much prefer to look like a complete doofus than to have my fears realized. A family member is in the middle of doing contingency planning for a hospital and large medical group trying to figure out how they can stay healthy to continue to deliver care to patients. :(

Lol, that's called paid sick leave... Name me one "business" leader who went broke and ended up on the street because his business failed. A half a million people live on the streets, none of them are former business leaders. The cuckness of this board never fails to amaze me.

You're being a little to dismissive to tons of small business peoole who's revenues will be down several fold and they will have to continue to pay people who are not helping earn any of it back. It would drain the coffers fast and not generate the income they think because many a business would just fold for lack of cash.

You're being a little to dismissive to tons of small business peoole who's revenues will be down several fold and they will have to continue to pay people who are not helping earn any of it back. It would drain the coffers fast and not generate the income they think because many a business would just fold for lack of cash.
Given the tight labor market I believe smart employers will pay their employees and take care of them through this thing. This is temporary and if they screw the employees now they will find it tough to hire in a few months

Given the tight labor market I believe smart employers will pay their employees and take care of them through this thing. This is temporary and if they screw the employees now they will find it tough to hire in a few months

My father and I owned a small business for 30 years and we were on time with 95% of our estimated quarterly tax payments and were fully insured the whole time, with employees from time to time....this would have put us under, and we met with most of the business owners in Ralston at Summer Kitchen on a weekly basis, and other places along the way, and got to know some very well even to this day. I feel really confident I have a pretty good handle on how hard this will be on a lot of people.

Last edited:
As long as 4 rolls in the packs of TP that I can’t figure out why people are buying up like they are going to gorge on Taco Bell.
Yeah it's really bizarre some of the hoarding going on. What ever happened to 'You take what you need and you leave the rest.'

Reactions: newAD

everybody usually gets 2 weeks sick pay a year, so if the corona virus gets like Italy here. the government could just say everyone stay home for 2 weeks. because the incubation period is about 5 to 6 days. people can go out in emergency....but if they are out and it not an emergency, then you could throw them in a goverment tent quarantine.

then you just have the government go house to house and give people the green light to leave their house using their SS number...those with the wrong SS number will be deported

SEATTLE — The University of Washington is rapidly expanding its ability to test people for COVID-19. A drive-thru testing site is already up and running at UW Medical in North Seattle that can test 40 to 50 people per day.

Right now it’s only available to employees and students, but UW Medical plans to expand that testing later this week to include first responders, employees at long-term care facilities and UW patients showing symptoms.

“We need widespread testing right now,” said Dr. Seth Cohen, Medical Director for Infection Prevention at UW Medicine. “There's urgency around it,” he said.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/uw...testing-employees/FKCHXANUPJETHF6EYHTVBH22GI/

I'm assuming you mean South Korea. They are certainly thinking outside the box (Jack in the Box?) I believe Seattle is trying this method.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-south-korea-drive-thru-test-covid-19/
My better half is S Korean and they just call their own country Korea so I guess I’ve absorbed that.
Good luck getting any quality coronavirus info from N Korea. I read a story about how 200 of their soldiers are dead. But then again their super duper supreme leader says there is not even a single case in their superior country.

Hey, do you know what is worse than offering basic paid sick leave? By FAR? People not having it who are either not earning money at all while they are sick (plus ARE sick), or going to work sick and spreading the disease around. If they don't earn any money, they won't spend any money, which depresses the economy. If they earn money but spread a serious virus, more and more people get sick and get knocked out of the labor market or possibly killed.

Businesses will survive or not survive based on a number of factors, but this argument is really, really stupid. People need to have basic benefits, and it's sad that paid sick leave isn't something we all have access to, because we should.

everybody usually gets 2 weeks sick pay a year, so if the corona virus gets like Italy here. the government could just say everyone stay home for 2 weeks. because the incubation period is about 5 to 6 days. people can go out in emergency....but if they are out and it not an emergency, then you could throw them in a goverment tent quarantine.

then you just have the government go house to house and give people the green light to leave their house using their SS number...those with the wrong SS number will be deported

The whole point is there is a substantial part of our workforce that does not get paid sick leave because they are hourly and have terrible, or non-existent, benefits. Hell, I've been an IT contractor before and been hourly with no sick leave or PTO. It's not a great way to live.

No, they won't. That has never been the case and never will be.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
The whole point is there is a substantial part of our workforce that does not get paid sick leave because they are hourly and have terrible, or non-existent, benefits. Hell, I've been an IT contractor before and been hourly with no sick leave or PTO. It's not a great way to live.
I agree. I haven't taken a vacation or recreational day off in 7 years as a contractor. Don't wanna miss out on income. Sick maybe 4 days and I didn't wanna be at home due to lost wages.

Hey, do you know what is worse than offering basic paid sick leave? By FAR? People not having it who are either not earning money at all while they are sick (plus ARE sick), or going to work sick and spreading the disease around. If they don't earn any money, they won't spend any money, which depresses the economy. If they earn money but spread a serious virus, more and more people get sick and get knocked out of the labor market or possibly killed.

Businesses will survive or not survive based on a number of factors, but this argument is really, really stupid. People need to have basic benefits, and it's sad that paid sick leave isn't something we all have access to, because we should.

Start a small biz, maintain it for just a third of the time I did, and be financially stable and responsible the entire time, then get back to me. It's always easy to spot people who don't understand in the real business world not all business's have the kind of resources required to do what you're suggesting. What you're doing is just assuming if it's a business, they must have money, so make them pay for everyone else's life problems.

For the first 30 years of my working life, I never got paid for a single sick day, and nobody ever paid me for a day off, and many times we'd have to send the gov't a huge chunk of change for a quarterly tax payment that depleted our account for the rest of the month and there was nothing left for the two owners. People who have never owned a biz just really have no clue how devastating what you're suggesting would be to most small business's.

Last edited:
Start a small biz, maintain it for just a third of the time I did, and be financially stable and responsible the entire time, then get back to me. It's always easy to spot people who don't understand in the real business world not all business's have the kind of resources required to do what you're suggesting. What you're doing is just assuming if it's a business, they must have money, so make them pay for everyone else's life problems.

No, and I will repeat what I just said with this caveat: I have never tried to run a small business but I understand that the majority of them fail and that often they operate on razor thin margins. That's fine, but that's no excuse to rob your fellow man of decent, and in this case prudent, options in life because it's so hard to stay in business. If you're thinking you're having to do that, then you would probably be better served examining other ways to run your business that allow for that.

If it were legally required, which it should be, you'd find a way to operate in that framework as well.

understood, I work at a small business, and Im one of the few folks with 2 weeks sick...I never really use it..
but trump said he would help small business....of course Im talking bout worse case senerio...like Italy where the work force would be cut by 1/4 by deaths if they don't quarantine.

For the first 30 years of my working life, I never got paid for a single sick day, and nobody ever paid me for a day off, and many times we'd have to send the gov't a huge chunk of change for a quarterly tax payment that depleted our account for the rest of the month and there was nothing left for the two owners. People who have never owned a biz just really have no clue how devastating what you're suggesting would be to most small business's.

Are you suggesting that we kill elderly people so that your small business is more successful? That is impression I get. People don't want free handouts because they are lazy, they do not want to get a pandemic virus or give it to people with a high chance of mortality.

Are you suggesting that we kill elderly people so that your small business is more successful? That is impression I get. People don't want free handouts because they are lazy, they do not want to get a pandemic virus or give it to people with a high chance of mortality.

Nope, not at all. Are you suggesting we bankrupt thousands of small business's because elderly people get sick thru no fault of said small business? ...that's the impression get.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT