ADVERTISEMENT

Covid19 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, not at all. Are you suggesting we bankrupt thousands of small business's because elderly people get sick thru no fault of said small business? ...that's the impression get.
The only reason this is still an argument is our area hasn't been overrun with cases. There isn't a single person is South Korea, China, or Italy, Iran who would agree with your statement. My hyperbole stemmed from ignorance but so does yours.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
The only reason this is still an argument is our area hasn't been overrun with cases. There isn't a single person is South Korea, China, or Italy, Iran who would agree with your statement. My hyperbole stemmed from ignorance but so does yours.

Our country is full of people in healthcare need, contact a local church or nursing home and directly sponsor somebody who could really use your help, and you'll feel amazing when you do it, I know because I have. Why don't you take the lead in paying for other people's health problems you had nothing to do with and set an example. Then come back and share your story, I would love to read it.

understood, I work at a small business, and Im one of the few folks with 2 weeks sick...I never really use it..
but trump said he would help small business....of course Im talking bout worse case senerio...like Italy where the work force would be cut by 1/4 by deaths if they don't quarantine.

They were discussing that on NPR's Morning Edition; they aren't talking about big changes like mandatory 2 weeks paid sick leave for all employees in America, but they are floating the idea of payroll tax cuts (for workers) and something else for businesses. The take by their economics correspondent is, these are effective at stimulating the economy, but they are relatively slow-acting, and they don't address the outbreak per se, they just try to goose the economy that is slumping due to fears.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Hey, do you know what is worse than offering basic paid sick leave? By FAR? People not having it who are either not earning money at all while they are sick (plus ARE sick), or going to work sick and spreading the disease around. If they don't earn any money, they won't spend any money, which depresses the economy. If they earn money but spread a serious virus, more and more people get sick and get knocked out of the labor market or possibly killed.

Businesses will survive or not survive based on a number of factors, but this argument is really, really stupid. People need to have basic benefits, and it's sad that paid sick leave isn't something we all have access to, because we should.
I’m going to show my hand here, but it depends on who you think is getting a raw deal and who you think the government should prop up. I won’t take us down that path, but it wasn’t too terribly long ago where people literally had to take care of themselves to survive. I’m talking eat what you kill. Then people started trading goods for services, etc. Still pretty simple and pretty fair. At some point, other less basic things were determined to be necessary, not necessarily because they were actually necessary, but because that had been determined to be the standard of living. Therein lies the discussion... I have my thoughts on it, and won’t criticize those who disagree. There’s no perfect answer.

I hope I haven’t started us down the slippery slope with these comments.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I know I'm going to be that guy... But I get the feeling that Covid19 is already circulating around Omaha, and nobody wants to have the guts to admit it. I also think the schools in Omaha and the surrounding area are doing a huge disservice to this city by staying open, when distance learning is a thing that can be done easily now. Yes, it would hurt the pocketbook, but it would also slow any progression with this *potential* outbreak. We are all in reactive mode right now in a time where we need to be proactive.

gifs-05.gif

I know I'm going to be that guy... But I get the feeling that Covid19 is already circulating around Omaha, and nobody wants to have the guts to admit it. I also think the schools in Omaha and the surrounding area are doing a huge disservice to this city by staying open, when distance learning is a thing that can be done easily now. Yes, it would hurt the pocketbook, but it would also slow any progression with this *potential* outbreak. We are all in reactive mode right now in a time where we need to be proactive.
I think your right...I think the government is lawyered up and just reports stuff folks already know. I suppose in 2 weeks they will shut stuff down.

Its all over just hasnt been tested yet. I teach in Los Angeles and its just a matter of time before I think they shut down schools a few weeks. We have a huge homeless student population that will really be hit hard if we do close.

I like the idea that America invented "small businesses", mostly cause it's true. Let's face it libs, we are special, no one else has what we have because of our small businesses, and we must prioritize them because no other countries have figured it out and its the best thing about this country.

And if you haven't run a small business or sponsored a homeless persons healthcare, literally just get out of this thread and out of my country.

Its all over just hasnt been tested yet. I teach in Los Angeles and its just a matter of time before I think they shut down schools a few weeks. We have a huge homeless student population that will really be hit hard if we do close.

And if it hasn't reached your area, it's on the way.
As far as the impacts of school closures, I think a lot of people don't realize that for some of our students schools provide them with a safe space and the only food they will receive.

Why doesn't everyone under 60 just get it and be done with it. 2 weeks of a flu and the world can move on without costing people tons of jobs and/or investments over flat out panic. People over 60, with their higher mortality rate would then be the focus of all prevention efforts.

Reactions: Sinomatic
And if it hasn't reached your area, it's on the way.
As far as the impacts of school closures, I think a lot of people don't realize that for some of our students schools provide them with a safe space and the only food they will receive.
The problem is that schools are also very efficient magnifiers of viruses. One kid goes to school and infects potentially a hundred other kids during one day. Then those kids go home and infect the 3 other family members in the house. For colleges the problem is what happens when it takes off in a large dorm. For colleges with students from far flung places it becomes a horrible logistical problem with nobody there to be an advocate for the ill student.

Sick leave is something I never had. Been a commercial construction hand my whole life. Union carpenter, and now piledriver, but no sick leave.

Never really thought of it before, but may be a thing we need to talk about as trade Unions.

Why doesn't everyone under 60 just get it and be done with it. 2 weeks of a flu and the world can move on without costing people tons of jobs and/or investments over flat out panic. People over 60, with their higher mortality rate would then be the focus of all prevention efforts.
Are you suggesting an age 18-60 kissing party?

Reactions: leodisflowers
The danger here is health systems getting overwhelmed which is what has/is happening in Italy. When that happens beds are full - stroke/heart attack/trauma patients - an emergent appendectomy care all gets severely compromised. If you don’t get the virus or it is mild but get sick from something else - you are going to get triage medicine rather than the best standard.

Nearly every country is on the same trajectory as Italy except South Korea which practices extreme isolation.

this would be a disaster. The preventive measures aren’t necessarily to reduce the number of infected - it is to slow the infection rate - prolonged course of new cases rather than a steep spike which will overwhelm the system

The whole country was screwed the instant the Starbucks employee in downtown seattle had it.

You know they'd been at work weeks previously to being diagnosed and been spreading. And people in seattle travel or go home from vacation.

It's everywhere now and it's already too late. If you think otherwise you're in denial. And to be honest closing schools at this point is too late.

Truthfully some public officials will get roasted for this but not much could have been done unless it was 2 or 3 months ago.

This one just wasn't going to be stopped. It's either going to be ugly or it won't depending on how virulent it actually is.

The problem is that schools are also very efficient magnifiers of viruses. One kid goes to school and infects potentially a hundred other kids during one day. Then those kids go home and infect the 3 other family members in the house. For colleges the problem is what happens when it takes off in a large dorm. For colleges with students from far flung places it becomes a horrible logistical problem with nobody there to be an advocate for the ill student.

Believe me, I understand that schools are a great big petri dish when it comes to sickness. I work in a middle school! I was trying to show that when the schools close there are some results (like students with out food ) that folks don't always think about. At our school not only do we feed kids breakfast and lunches but send back packs of food home each weekend. Those issues also need to be addressed.

Because it's not just those over 60 that are effected, this is the biggest pet peeve I have with all of this... the lie that you're somehow safe if you're under 60

Here in Texas there's a whole family that has it and the parents are in their 30's

Additionally, I have videos of kids who have it and it's freaking haunting to watch...

Additionally, If it was just the USA blowing this out of proportion I would be with those who are skeptical... that said, China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, Israel, and more are shutting down their livelihoods & their economy... that doesn’t just happen from people blowing this out of proportion... something is up and in my opinion there’s something more to this issue that we’re not being told

Well Crofton got the fifth confirmed case in the state. A freshman in high school. He apparently was showing signs last Thursday and went the Hartington Cedar and then the Crofton state tournament games. I will be curious if this affects their decision on this weekends boy's state. I'm not worried about myself getting it just my kids and 90 year old plus grandparents.

The one thing I question is it doesn't sound like this is a case of he traveled somewhere so how long has this been around and just diagnosed as a respiratory virus and they are sent home.

Reactions: ADV1
Well Crofton got the fifth confirmed case in the state. A freshman in high school. He apparently was showing signs last Thursday and went the Hartington Cedar and then the Crofton state tournament games. I will be curious if this affects their decision on this weekends boy's state. I'm not worried about myself getting it just my kids and 90 year old plus grandparents.

The one thing I question is it doesn't sound like this is a case of he traveled somewhere so how long has this been around and just diagnosed as a respiratory virus and they are sent home.

Exactly my point! it doesn't matter of age... thank you for sharing that one

Exactly my point! it doesn't matter of age... thank you for sharing that one

I haven't really been following these threads, but it sounds like the kids has a lot of health problems before he got this virus. It wasn't a normally healthy freshman. This is all stuff I heard from other people in the community.

I like the idea that America invented "small businesses", mostly cause it's true. Let's face it libs, we are special, no one else has what we have because of our small businesses, and we must prioritize them because no other countries have figured it out and its the best thing about this country.

And if you haven't run a small business or sponsored a homeless persons healthcare, literally just get out of this thread and out of my country.

This is prime ignorance, right here, folks.

Are you suggesting an age 18-60 kissing party?

Because it would be terribly stressful on our healthcare system, which is not prepared to deal with anything even remotely like a huge pandemic. Second, as viruses mutate, they become more acclimated to our immune systems, which makes them less lethal over time.

The danger here is health systems getting overwhelmed which is what has/is happening in Italy. When that happens beds are full - stroke/heart attack/trauma patients - an emergent appendectomy care all gets severely compromised. If you don’t get the virus or it is mild but get sick from something else - you are going to get triage medicine rather than the best standard.

Nearly every country is on the same trajectory as Italy except South Korea which practices extreme isolation.

Honest question, do people under the age of 60 really require special medical attention for this? If not, why are they seeking it out? Hysteria is the answer... or at least a major contributor. People need to chill and be smart about what they’re doing. Plain and simple.

Honest question, do people under the age of 60 really require special medical attention for this? If not, why are they seeking it out? Hysteria is the answer... or at least a major contributor. People need to chill and be smart about what they’re doing. Plain and simple.

The severity of the illness is far worse the older you are. Also if you have any underlying health issues, are a smoker, or are obese.

And I’ll clarify that I’m not saying this is something that people under 60 want to have/mess with. My understanding through that for those in that category, most cases are mild. Spreading it is one thing, and we should attempt to avoid that if at all possible. But a person with a mild case of the flu doesn’t need to go to the hospital. They need to ride it out in their basement on the couch.

My two cents.

the only people who are getting admitted to hospitals overseas are those sick enough to require supportive care . Most will not need treatment. Many hospitals run at near capacity. There isn’t a great deal of buffer to accommodate a large influx of sick patients which will primarily be the elderly and otherwise health compromised.

Believe me, I understand that schools are a great big petri dish when it comes to sickness. I work in a middle school! I was trying to show that when the schools close there are some results (like students with out food ) that folks don't always think about. At our school not only do we feed kids breakfast and lunches but send back packs of food home each weekend. Those issues also need to be addressed.
Northshore school district in Seattle is closed 23,000 students - They have created drop spots for lunches the kids are attending classes online and they have made arrangements for kids without computers or laptops - while not perfect it is working to a large degree

An(other) Inconvenient Truth
TTATL (trying to avoid the lock). The failure to take this seriously from the jump means it's a serious deal now. And the bungling is ongoing and it's going to get people killed.

Help your immune system, eat some eggs, bell peppers, spinach, almonds, avocados and other healthy foods, probiotics, drink plenty of water, get as much sleep as possible, excercise but not to the point of total exhaustion, get outside and enjoy good weather and a bit of sun, and any other good things to eat or do that keep you feeling good.

Trampolines are one of the best things for health.
https://liveboldandbloom.com/07/health/rebounding-benefits

19. Aids lymphatic circulation.
Your lymphatic system works alongside your cardiovascular system to keep your blood and lymphatic fluid levels balanced and to flush out toxins from your body.

Your lymphatic system also moves your immune cells throughout your body to create a defense against infections.

Gov. Jay Inslee ordered a halt Wednesday to all gatherings of more than 250 people in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties, and ordered schools across the state to immediately begin contingency planning for potential closures in the next several days.

The moves mark the strongest action the state has taken to date to try to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the Puget Sound region, which has become the epicenter of a burgeoning national crisis.

Flanked by the leaders of Seattle, Tacoma and Everett, and of King, Pierce and Snohomish counties, Inslee said he was ordering the cancellation of large church services, sporting events, concerts, festivals and conventions.

“Today I am ordering, pursuant to my emergency powers, that certain events in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties with more than 250 people are prohibited by order of the governor,” Inslee said.

The order is in effect through the end of March, Inslee said, but it is “highly likely” it will be extended beyond that time.

Schools, Inslee said, should be planning for how they can provide meals and other needs for students in the event that they’re forced to close in the next few days.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...epare-for-closure-to-slow-coronavirus-spread/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT