ADVERTISEMENT

Covid19 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ivy League just cancelled all spring sports - competition and practices

But
The whole point is there is a substantial part of our workforce that does not get paid sick leave because they are hourly and have terrible, or non-existent, benefits. Hell, I've been an IT contractor before and been hourly with no sick leave or PTO. It's not a great way to live.
But you are not anymore? What changed?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The Seattle Times
16 mins ·
NEW: Four more people have died in King County from coronavirus, three of whom were Life Care Center residents. Washington state is now reporting a total of 366 COVID-19 cases, including 29 deaths.

The Ivy League just cancelled all spring sports - competition and practices
Going to get our kid from Harvard this weekend. Trying to talk the missus in to letting me drive out to pick up her and all of her "stuff". I think I posted this already but the Boston area as of last night had 92 confirmed cases and were investigating roughly a thousand more. I'm sure it's double today but getting accurate information out of these state and local health departments is impossible. The Mass. department of health's website is a week behind.

Last edited:
Going to get our kid from Harvard this weekend. Trying to talk the missus in to letting me drive out to pick up her and all of her "stuff". I think I posted this already but the Boston area as of last night had 92 confirmed cases and were investigated roughly a thousand more. I'm sure it's double today but getting accurate information out of these state and local health departments is impossible. The Mass. department of health's website is a week behind.

Travel safely!

The Seattle Times
16 mins ·
NEW: Four more people have died in King County from coronavirus, three of whom were Life Care Center residents. Washington state is now reporting a total of 366 COVID-19 cases, including 29 deaths.
:( For that nursing facility the fatality rate has to be nearing 30% of infections. Rumor has it that a nursing home in a small town in NE Nebraska had a van driver test positive. Hopefully that was just a rumor.

...so did you offer to pay any of your old co-workers with insuffecient sick leave to stay home from work yet? Or are you still wanting everyone else to do that?

Your hypothetical is stupid. Socializing costs in order to provide for everyone in the country works because it becomes national insurance, basically. You seem to be saying I should shell out as an act of charity by myself, which is not effective for anyone. This would be figured out by a 5th grader.

And to your...I guess, broader question? No, I don't mind higher taxes to pay for a national health service. They wouldn't be all that much higher than the offset from my premiums and co-pays going away, but it doesn't matter, it's worth it.

Grow up.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Going to get our kid from Harvard this weekend. Trying to talk the missus in to letting me drive out to pick up her and all of her "stuff". I think I posted this already but the Boston area as of last night had 92 confirmed cases and were investigating roughly a thousand more. I'm sure it's double today but getting accurate information out of these state and local health departments is impossible. The Mass. department of health's website is a week behind.

best

How devastating for so many cities that are hosting these games :(
For anybody who has taken many economics classes and understands the "velocity of money", all of the cancellations of events and inevitable layoffs will be devastating to our economy at least in the short run. I'm really not all that worried about the cities but small businesses like family owned restaurants will really be hurt.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Big Ten -

LINCOLN, Neb (KOLN) - The Big Ten Conference announced this evening that beginning Thursday, March 12, 2020, attendance at all Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament games will be limited to student-athletes, coaches, event staff, essential team and Conference staff, TV network partners, credentialed media, and immediate family members of the participating teams.

Too little too late. I said a couple of weeks ago that it was already here, spreading and we're not going to be able to stop it no matter what we do. We're WAY too mobile as a society. Time to suck it up. The next 6 weeks is not going to be fun.
thank you for your service.

I am more worried about potential panic than I am anything else. Every work that has the ability to work from home should allow their employees to work from home and hope the environment changes for the better in a couple weeks.

every year there’s a scare. How much do you want to bet this falls out of the news cycle and is never talked about again by Valentines Day?

Its symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. The mortality rate is less than, THE FLU. 200k die every year in China from, wait for it, THE FLU.

So many people are now experts on this virus because of their TV scare propaganda.

We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then

Reactions: cornhustler
every year there’s a scare. How much do you want to bet this falls out of the news cycle and is never talked about again by Valentines Day?

Its symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. The mortality rate is less than, THE FLU. 200k die every year in China from, wait for it, THE FLU.

So many people are now experts on this virus because of their TV scare propaganda.

We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then
Are you serious Clark? Valentine's Day next year? Yeah it will be mostly history by then and most of us who survive will have antibodies to the wild virus. There will still be cases and some people dying from it but it will cool just due to population immunity. I think it is highly likely that all of us will lose somebody we know to this virus by the time it's over. In my case, I'm betting I'll lose multiple people I know and maybe a family member. Fairly conservative estimates from reputable epidemiologists are 70% of our population will get this virus. That's roughly 250 MILLION people and the expected case fatality rate may be around 2%. It's running higher than that elsewhere. Granted I think that CFR is inflated due to the fact that many cases don't get reported. That's 5 MILLION deaths in the U.S. alone if that CFR proves out. Hopefully the efforts to contain it and get people to take some personal responsibility for their health will help but DAMN man this isn't just another flu outbreak.
I'll add that the CDC says that this virus is 10 X more lethal than influenza.

Reactions: WHCSC and huntered
Are you serious Clark? Valentine's Day next year? Yeah it will be mostly history by then and most of us who survive will have antibodies to the wild virus. There will still be cases and some people dying from it but it will cool just due to population immunity. I think it is highly likely that all of us will lose somebody we know to this virus by the time it's over. In my case, I'm betting I'll lose multiple people I know and maybe a family member. Fairly conservative estimates from reputable epidemiologists are 70% of our population will get this virus. That's roughly 250 MILLION people and the expected case fatality rate may be around 2%. It's running higher than that elsewhere. Granted I think that CFR is inflated due to the fact that many cases don't get reported. That's 5 MILLION deaths in the U.S. alone if that CFR proves out. Hopefully the efforts to contain it and get people to take some personal responsibility for their health will help but DAMN man this isn't just another flu outbreak.
hey, did Wan'Dale's broken leg heal up? sure hope so in case there's a football season!

You forgot my posting methodology already? This post doesn't look familiar at all?

70% is a ridiculous number...and the top end of the most aggressive estimates...WHO said it has a higher R0 than the flu but is not as contagious...there is a distinction. China has never stopped the flu but was able to stop this in a state with 54 million people ...80k infections out of 54 million...their measures were drastic but they cut the infections to a tiny % of the population of just that one state. Spanish flu was the perfect storm and still only saw an infection rate of 30%, and seasonal influenza is sitting at 10%...

Reactions: leodisflowers
70% is a ridiculous number...and the top end of the most aggressive estimates...WHO said it has a higher R0 than the flu but is not as contagious...there is a distinction. China has never stopped the flu but was able to stop this in a state with 54 million people ...80k infections out of 54 million...their measures were drastic but they cut the infections to a tiny % of the population of just that one state. Spanish flu was the perfect storm and still only saw an infection rate of 30%, and seasonal influenza is sitting at 10%...

1). You have no idea how many people in China have contracted corona, and you never will.

2) you have no idea how many contracted cases of corona the Chinese government is aware of, and you never will.

3) you have no idea how many people in China have died from this, and you never will.

4). I don't think too many people have any admiration whatsoever for China's response to this outbreak. They managed to create the bug (however it originated), they managed to lose control of the bug, and they managed to export it to the entire world. triggering thousands upon thousands of deaths globally and the impending global recession.

Reactions: gw2kpro
All I know is you MF'ers who are hoarding toilet paper are a bunch of really awful people. I went to Costco, Walmart, & Target and nobody had any TP in stock.

All I know is you MF'ers who are hoarding toilet paper are a bunch of really awful people. I went to Costco, Walmart, & Target and nobody had any TP in stock.

89251317_1134569986881098_1503581124486496256_o.jpg

1). You have no idea how many people in China have contracted corona, and you never will.

2) you have no idea how many contracted cases of corona the Chinese government is aware of, and you never will.

3) you have no idea how many people in China have died from this, and you never will.

4). I don't think too many people have any admiration whatsoever for China's response to this outbreak. They managed to create the bug (however it originated), they managed to lose control of the bug, and they managed to export it to the entire world. triggering thousands upon thousands of deaths globally and the impending global recession.

I think South Korea is who we should look to. They seem to have their shit together on all of this and can give us accurate info as well as ways to help thwart the spread. They seem to be tackling it correctly, albeit a smaller population.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie

In Walmart last night and they brought a fresh pallet in...I'm not even going to tell you how sad I was to watch everyone act like koi fish in the zoo pond when somebody drops a few pellets of food in.

In Walmart last night and they brought a fresh pallet in...I'm not even going to tell you how sad I was to watch everyone act like koi fish in the zoo pond when somebody drops a few pellets of food in.

In October 2018 Austin had a boil water notice because flooding had choked the city's fresh water supply. People were literally crawling over one-another to fight for bottled water. If there were eight cases left, a single customer would buy all eight cases. Seeing people screw over their neighbors like that really made me lose what little faith I had left in humanity. Two days later, every store in the area had pallets of unsold water in the aisles.

It will be the same way with toilet paper and hand sanitizer. A panicked population has forced a month's worth of TP purchases into a day, so the retailers are struggling to keep up. But the suppliers have all they need. People aren't wiping their butts 90 times a day, so the usage hasn't changed. The supply chain will catch up in a few days. I do sympathize with someone who needed to buy TP and couldn't find any. I guess paper towels could do in a pinch. Ugh.

In October 2018 Austin had a boil water notice because flooding had choked the city's fresh water supply. People were literally crawling over one-another to fight for bottled water. If there were eight cases left, a single customer would buy all eight cases. Seeing people screw over their neighbors like that really made me lose what little faith I had left in humanity. Two days later, every store in the area had pallets of unsold water in the aisles.

It will be the same way with toilet paper and hand sanitizer. A panicked population has forced a month's worth of TP purchases into a day, so the retailers are struggling to keep up. But the suppliers have all they need. People aren't wiping their butts 90 times a day, so the usage hasn't changed. The supply chain will catch up in a few days. I do sympathize with someone who needed to buy TP and couldn't find any. I guess paper towels could do in a pinch. Ugh.

I live in Union County, North Carolina, just south of Charlotte. We got boil water notices THIS MORNING, due to Ecoli being found in our county’s tap water. There were lines in front of Target this morning, like it was black Friday with people showing up to get bottled water...
Now, I just hope we have enough toilet paper... lord help me. :eek:

You can NOT trust the reporting of illnesses in China to be factual. Italy's experience should be our expectation and it's ripping through there unchecked. Secondly, China has never seriously tried to stop the flu and don't have a robust flu vaccination program. As I just posted, I expect the CFR (case fatality rate %) for COVID-19 is inflated by cases that were not reported. Likewise millions of influenza cases happen and are never reported so THAT CFR is also inflated. So when you look at those FACTs, it is completely logical to expect the statistics our country's and most of Europe's experts are using. One of the directors of OUR efforts to slow this thing down told Congress, the President and the American people on national TV that this bug is 10 times more lethal than influenza. From my own experience in dealing with both Corona viruses and Influenza viruses over the past 35 years, Corona viruses are at least if not more contagious than influenza and last way longer on surfaces than influenza viruses. Their fatty envelopes enable Corona viruses to adhere to surfaces and resist environmental degradation for much longer periods of time than influenza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT