ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Living in Nittany Lion country I get the feeling the natives are a bit restless about Franklin. Not hot by any means... yet. If Rutgers was even somewhat competent PSU might have lost that game.

I think it was mostly Moorehead. They were bad before he came and they are having a pretty big drop off now that he’s gone.

Moorehead was a huge loss for them. Also they lost their big tight end and a receiver or two from last year I think. McSorely can't chuck the ball up and have someone go get it this year (Along with losing Barkley ofc)

Helton might be able to save himself with a win over ND. Not probable but weird things happen in rivalry games. If ND blows them out then he should start packing.

burning-chair.jpeg

I thought they beat Penn State?
Oh yeah the year before. (Well technically it was in January up just looked it up lol) Last Rose Bowl OSU beat USC though

NVM just saw the edit lol. Still you're right they did win a Rose in 2017!

Kind of amazing, USC, Florida State, VTech, Miami, and some other teams have tons of talent but seriously lack good coaching.

Thats what I don’t get about football fans. One side says coaching, the other says talent. Simple fact of the matter is that it’s both.

Reactions: blackbones
Thats what I don’t get about football fans. One side says coaching, the other says talent. Simple fact of the matter is that it’s both.
who says they have talent? We just assume that because a kid goes to Florida state he is talented. Maybe their staff didn't want to put the time in, maybe they didn't want to pay him, maybe they settled for 3rd or 4th on their board. Maybe there was negative recruiting because of some inside stuff that we don't know about. Maybe they are recruiting a certain type of player, or sell out for the best and get beat out and have to settle. Coaching only matters when there is a lack of depth and talent. If you watch Florida state play there are few guys that would blow you away...same goes for Texas or USC. I am surprised they do not have better players to some extent but it may be that more stringent oversight on grades, testing, graduation percentage and such has lead to fewer explosive talents being able to make it to a major university. There has certainly been a precipitous drop in crime at Power 5 schools...maybe we are all fighting over a diminishing talent pool.

who says they have talent? We just assume that because a kid goes to Florida state he is talented. Maybe their staff didn't want to put the time in, maybe they didn't want to pay him, maybe they settled for 3rd or 4th on their board. Maybe there was negative recruiting because of some inside stuff that we don't know about. Maybe they are recruiting a certain type of player, or sell out for the best and get beat out and have to settle. Coaching only matters when there is a lack of depth and talent. If you watch Florida state play there are few guys that would blow you away...same goes for Texas or USC. I am surprised they do not have better players to some extent but it may be that more stringent oversight on grades, testing, graduation percentage and such has lead to fewer explosive talents being able to make it to a major university. There has certainly been a precipitous drop in crime at Power 5 schools...maybe we are all fighting over a diminishing talent pool.
I don't think there are that many kids that are truly more talented than others, at least as far as star rankings go. There are maybe about 50 good athletes a year that are going to be great players no matter what. The rest require good coaching to develop into solid players and maybe even develop into a great player. If you can break it down by recruiting hits and misses, I think that would give a much more accurate depiction than if somebody's a 5 star vs a 3 star. Even so, great coaching is going to give you a lot fewer misses than if you have poor coaching and development.

Agree on Helton. They give up over 280 yards rushing to an average UCLA back with a very average OL. Helton takes over the play calling from Tee Martin and sucks at it. So we know there is dissension in the ranks. Throw in the fact that Swann gave Helton a vote of confidence, yikes!

James Franklin being on the hot seat is as ridiculous as Auburn fans wanting to fire Gus Malzahn every year. Dude has them looking at probably their 3rd straight 10 win season and visits to the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl, and they're ready to fire him after having their coaching staff gutted?

I hope they do get rid of him and the football Gods finally punish Penn St. righteously for their scandal.

James Franklin being on the hot seat is as ridiculous as Auburn fans wanting to fire Gus Malzahn every year. Dude has them looking at probably their 3rd straight 10 win season and visits to the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl, and they're ready to fire him after having their coaching staff gutted?

I hope they do get rid of him and the football Gods finally punish Penn St. righteously for their scandal.
Yeah, I wonder if something else is going on there. It makes no sense to me.

But, but... Paterno din do nuffin!!!

Franklin is PSU's Pelini, will win 9-10 games a season, but won't compete with OSU and UM going forward.

With all of the big moves last year, I think it will be tough for a big program to find a top coach this year while all of the dust is still settling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT