ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

if he wasn't a fb coach people would not give him 4 chances. sure people mistakes. sure people should be given 2nd chances. but after 4 chances they have already proven they are high risk. he doesn't deserve to be burned on a stake. he also doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university.
he should be able to work . but not in this job. the admins would have kicked a player out of the program after 2 arrests and they are just kids.
why are giving adults who should know better twice as many chances as kids?
Where are you getting the "4 chances"? This is his third arrest for DUI. The first one was 12 years ago and the second 7 years ago.

Not good for him or Nebraska.
B8ZdoAjk_bigger.jpg
Keyshawn Jr. @keyshawnnnn

Not even close. People make mistakes, but I won't make one by decommitting. #W4L https://twitter.com/asmanagementla/status/765267149648564225 …

2:23 PM - 15 Aug 2016 · Hidden Hills, CA, United States

It's pretty simple...I wouldn't want my kid being mentored and molded by a 3rd time drunk driver so he wouldn't be coming to Nebraska if his coach was a drunk and/or a felon. Plenty of programs with coaches I'd feel more comfortable molding my son into a man. Just my opinion......sorry if it isn't what you want to hear.

Reactions: Hot.Carl
if he wasn't a fb coach people would not give him 4 chances. sure people mistakes. sure people should be given 2nd chances. but after 4 chances they have already proven they are high risk. he doesn't deserve to be burned on a stake. he also doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university.
he should be able to work . but not in this job. the admins would have kicked a player out of the program after 2 arrests and they are just kids.

I think we'd do well to recognize that not everyone is of equal value to the team, and hence, not everyone's situation is assessed according to the same criteria. In a sense that is not fair, since the same transgression will be treated differently in two different cases. In another sense it is fair, however, because the player or coach who is given the longer leash is given another chance in recognition of his worth.

People who are more necessary and more highly valued are given second chances that would result in the termination of others. When you say "he doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university," you must be thinking he doesn't deserve it, morally. That is controversial, as not all will agree on termination being the appropriate penalty. In any case, in another sense he does deserve to be on the football staff, namely, the sense in which he has proven himself an exceptional coach and recruiter, and this despite his drinking habits, which up until now no one was even aware of.

I won't sit here and pretend like I have the answer, or insist that your stance is irrational. But it makes no sense to judge a person based on one incident, or even three incidents for that matter, spaced out over a decade, neglecting completely everything else he has meant/done for the program in the meantime. And taking that into account does not compromise one's ethical principles. I would question the ethical principles of anyone who doesn't take a man's character into account.

A lot of us know people who have been hurt or worse by drunk drivers. Having a problem with alcohol doesn't make you a bad person, but repeatedly putting other people's lives in danger because you can't call a cab is incredibly selfish and irresponsible. I don't know him personally and from everything I've heard he's a great person and representative of the university. But it's very hard to dismiss this as just a mistake.

I wonder why his attorney had him plead not guilty. If your blood test comes back above the limit, it seems pretty cut and dried to me unless it is just slightly above .08. It seems to me admitting guilt or copping a plea of some kind would be better sentence-wise in this case than going to trial.

Reactions: Hot.Carl
I wonder why his attorney had him plead not guilty. If your blood test comes back above the limit, it seems pretty cut and dried to me unless it is just slightly above .08. It seems to me admitting guilt or copping a plea of some kind would be better sentence-wise in this case than going to trial.
From what I hear, it's common to plead not guilty now so you can get a plea deal later. If he plead guilty now, that option wouldn't be available. It also sounds like there's a good chance it won't go to trial because there will likely be a plea deal before the trial.

From what I hear, it's common to plead not guilty now so you can get a plea deal later. If he plead guilty now, that option wouldn't be available. It also sounds like there's a good chance it won't go to trial because there will likely be a plea deal before the trial.

Anyone who goes into an arraignment and pleads guilty is pretty silly in my opinion.

Reactions: newAD and jeans15
It's pretty simple...I wouldn't want my kid being mentored and molded by a 3rd time drunk driver so he wouldn't be coming to Nebraska if his coach was a drunk and/or a felon. Plenty of programs with coaches I'd feel more comfortable molding my son into a man. Just my opinion......sorry if it isn't what you want to hear.

Well let's hope your son has no skills. jk

I wouldn't want my kid being mentored and molded by a 3rd time drunk driver so he wouldn't be coming to Nebraska if his coach was a drunk and/or a felon.

None of us know if coach Williams is a drunk and he hasn't been convicted of anything yet let alone a felony. Poor decision maker is what we know, alcoholic is pure speculation.

I think we'd do well to recognize that not everyone is of equal value to the team, and hence, not everyone's situation is assessed according to the same criteria. In a sense that is not fair, since the same transgression will be treated differently in two different cases. In another sense it is fair, however, because the player or coach who is given the longer leash is given another chance in recognition of his worth.

People who are more necessary and more highly valued are given second chances that would result in the termination of others. When you say "he doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university," you must be thinking he doesn't deserve it, morally. That is controversial, as not all will agree on termination being the appropriate penalty. In any case, in another sense he does deserve to be on the football staff, namely, the sense in which he has proven himself an exceptional coach and recruiter, and this despite his drinking habits, which up until now no one was even aware of.

I won't sit here and pretend like I have the answer, or insist that your stance is irrational. But it makes no sense to judge a person based on one incident, or even three incidents for that matter, spaced out over a decade, neglecting completely everything else he has meant/done for the program in the meantime. And taking that into account does not compromise one's ethical principles. I would question the ethical principles of anyone who doesn't take a man's character into account.
so if your good at your job you should be allowed to continually be a bad role model and endanger the lives of others? getting repeated DUIs IS a sign of someone's character.
its a much more significant sign of someones character than their ability to post daily tweets that catch the attention of teenagers.

This cant be an apple-to-apple comparison. It's impossible.

The time between KW first offense and most recent offense has been 12 years. Last I checked players can't be with any program 12 years.

There is a difference between 3 arrests being made in 4 years and 3 arrests being made in 12 years. Don't get me wrong, neither are at all good, but there is a difference. Also, I enjoy how you 'Like' you own post under a different user name.

so if your good at your job you should be allowed to continually be a bad role model
Better get used to it because that's life. If you're great at something and/or have lots of money the same rules don't always apply.

Not saying that's right, but that's how this world works.

Reactions: jlb321 and jeans15
The time between KW first offense and most recent offense has been 12 years. Last I checked players can't be with any program 12 years.

There is a difference between 3 arrests being made in 4 years and 3 arrests being made in 12 years. Don't get me wrong, neither are at all good, but there is a difference. Also, I enjoy how you 'Like' you own post under a different user name.[/QUOTE]
Maybe his alter ego can teach yorocco proper use of your and you're and while he's at it how to use caps at the beginning of a sentence like most 3rd graders already know.

This cant be an apple-to-apple comparison. It's impossible.

There is a difference between 3 arrests being made in 4 years and 3 arrests being made in 12 years. Don't get me wrong, neither are at all good, but there is a difference. Also, I enjoy how you 'Like' you own post under a different user name.

Good thing we don't have any coaches with 3 arrests in the last 4 years, we wouldn't stand for that!

i'll bet dimes to donuts this issue straddles political affiliations.

Reactions: 9and4

Raising your kid is your responsibility. By the time they go off to school the last person they are going to listen to about drinking and driving is their position coach. You have to worry about their friends. Hope you taught them well. If they fall short I hope you are there to pick them back up.

Raising your kid is your responsibility. By the time they go off to school the last person they are going to listen to about drinking and driving is their position coach. You have to worry about their friends. Hope you taught them well. If they fall short I hope you are there to pick them back up.
You are crazy if you don't think their position coaches can have an influence on them the 4 or 5 most critical years of their lives. Agree 0-18 is parents, but 19-23 is coaches and their position coach is #1.

His attorney didn't have him do anything. In Lincoln every DUI charge is automatically entered as a not guilty plea until the actual court date.

You are crazy if you don't think their position coaches can have an influence on them the 4 or 5 most critical years of their lives. Agree 0-18 is parents, but 19-23 is coaches and their position coach is #1.

I pretty sure KW would teach them how to run routes, catch passes and get drafted. I understand where you are coming from. I just don't agree that one should automatically lose your job when you make a mistake such as this. Disappointing? Yes. Unforgivable? Not hardly.

I pretty sure KW would teach them how to run routes, catch passes and get drafted. I understand where you are coming from. I just don't agree that one should automatically lose your job when you make a mistake such as this. Disappointing? Yes. Unforgivable? Not hardly.
why does it happen everywhere except to football coaches? the players would not get 4 chances. employees of other organizations would not get 4 chances. what makes fb coaches deserving of over the top preferential treatment>

Reactions: Rocket98

What an outstanding post. Best in the thread IMO.

so if your good at your job you should be allowed to continually be a bad role model and endanger the lives of others? getting repeated DUIs IS a sign of someone's character.
its a much more significant sign of someones character than their ability to post daily tweets that catch the attention of teenagers.

No, I swear reading comprehension is not one of the virtues of this board. I'd agree that his exercising poor judgment is a reflection of his character. But you take that to be a sufficient indictment of his character to fire him from his job, and all I'm saying is that such a judgment is better left to those who know him outside of Twitter and the Lincoln Journal Star, and that this should and will be done while objectively assessing his value to the team.

Has he been a "bad role model" to the young men he has coached for over a decade? It doesn't seem that way, and we had no reason to suspect as much until yesterday. As a matter of fact, even after yesterday we have no evidence to suspect he has been. Is he a bad father to his son? Again, what evidence do we have to suggest that he is? Certainly not his dumb decision to drink and drive...

I am fine with any decision Riley and the administration arrive at, including yours. I just don't want it to be done solely for knee-jerk reasons you're giving.

Shouldn't you be tweeting NU recruits about this from one of your 5 accounts??? Not shocking to me at all this is the time when you decide to spout off on here. Get a life

Wait...I went to college but did not play football...so who was my mentor and role model?
That's the disadvantage of not being on a team or sport. Don't kid yourself many college football players from homes without a male role model. These position coaches are like a father figure to many 19 year olds. America would be a much better place if everyone could go through 4 years of a college football program. Many life lessons taught. I know because I was there as an athlete and later as a coach and yes, I've impacted many because that is a bigger part of my job than teaching them how to block or tackle. If I was Coach Williams I couldn't come back a third time. I'd step away and get my life in order first. If I could prove my sobriety after 2-3 years someone would give me another chance.

why does it happen everywhere except to football coaches? the players would not get 4 chances. employees of other organizations would not get 4 chances. what makes fb coaches deserving of over the top preferential treatment>
Why does it happen that yorocco can say the same crap 4 times (and even more) in a thread?

Some things have no answers...

And for the record, again, as has been stated by numerous posters, this is Williams' 3rd offense, not 4th.

I can't wait to see your next post which will undoubtedly lament 4 times yet again...

Reactions: HuskerO
The whole "free so and so!" Is so weird to me, and seems to be used super willy nilly throughout social media. I guess people use it to show their support, but why not, "we support you so and so!"

Been 2 months since we last heard from you wasker. And to think, it took a bad event to bring you out of the woodwork to complain. Can't stand these coaches and this regime, can you?

Have not felt the need to post anything Yes, I do think it will be a mistake if Coach Williams is retained. I don't think his arrest is anything to gloat over. It's sad. Three times, no matter what time frame is a pretty clear indicator he can show a lack of good judgement. I am anxious to see how the whole teams plays this second year under Riley. I think Riley has done a well recruiting players. I think this only further shows how bad Bo really was at recruiting. I still don't think Riley and his staff are a long term answer for the team. I have no crystal ball and can only go by past history of Riley's coaching career. I can only wait and see how the Huskers perform in games. I am not saying we should win every game, but I think with exception of Ohio State in Columbus, the Huskers should be able to be competitive and have a chance to win the rest of the games. Time will only tell.

The whole "free so and so!" Is so weird to me, and seems to be used super willy nilly throughout social media. I guess people use it to show their support, but why not, "we support you so and so!"
I will say this much, seeing how the WR commits have responded is a very very good thing. It validates the sense of family that we have here and says a lot about the impact of KW on these guys and they aren't even on campus yet. Respect for KJJ and the others..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT